Are there any games that actually handle gay characters well?

Are there any games that actually handle gay characters well?
And by well handled I mean not forced, and not focused on. Characters whose sexuality is just part of their character, either it's inconsequential and just a bit of flavour, or it's used for comedic effect rather than drama.

Have any games managed to implement gays properly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Ogh3mdPHsA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah

Try the Final Fantasy games. It's all very subtle.

Not really a game itself but Danganronpa 3 has OUR BOY JUZO who is probably the best gay in a vidya related series I've seen

>Characters whose sexuality is just part of their character
So literally a normal person?

FF characters aren't gay. It's the FF players how are all gay.

>yosuke
>gay
i wish this meme would die

Deus Ex Mankind Divided did, I think. There's a major character and you only know he's gay if you break into his apartment and look at his personal photographs.

Borderlands: the Pre Sequel almost did it. Janey Springs is a big ol lesbo, and they introduce it by saying a minor villain hit on her and threw a tantrum when rejected. However, after that there's a funny storyline where Janey has a huge crush on Moxxi, who could not be less happy about it, and Janey is a total dope about it.

Hmm, anything else...
Oh! Duncan from Shadowrun Hong Kong. He's a great character.

Unlike Kanji's bait and switch, he's actually gay. He has unused dialogue confessing his love to the MC.

youtube.com/watch?v=0Ogh3mdPHsA
>yfw Kanji doesn't have a confession

>unused means he's actually gay
unused means unused, nothing else

>h-he's not gay even though he was literally planned to be
speaking of fags in denial

Have you ever met a gay person? Could you automatically tell that they were gay? Yeah, in reality, most of the stereotypes about gay people are true(the lisp, the flamboyantness, etc). Having a character who isn't immediately noticeably gay is actually contrary to real life.

there are things planned that don't go through on a lot of things, but that does not make them canon

fujos please leave

>fujos
Nigga, Yosuke's a faggot.
I'm not defending him, you are.

>have you ever met a gay in real life
If they're not flamboyant and you don't know if they have a girlfriend how would you even know?
You could safely assume they're straight because gays are such a small minority, but you can't actually know without any information.

Even if the dialogue is unused, Yosuke gets way too close to Protag.

>Unused means it's still canon even though it never happens

>Unlike Kanji's bait and switch

Kanji's bisexual as fuck. Hell he'd probably fuck anything that showed interest.

There is nothing finalized in the games that says he's gay. Unused content means jack shit in describing a character.

>only one to call Protag by first name
>the one who brings up Kanji's sexuality the most, proving he's even more insecure
>has another guy living in his closet

To be fair, Teddie is technically not a guy and also cuter than the other girls when he's in Alice mode.

literally the first "quest" in the game shows he has feelings for the shop chick

A gay can't like women too?

So he's bisexual. Explains him butting heads with Kanji all the time.

>had a gf
>gay

bisexual

>had a gf
Except he didn't.
She explicitly stated that she couldn't stand him.

literally nothing in the game definitively proves he likes men, why the fuck are ya'll grasping at straws so much?

I'm not really grasping at anything.
Why are you so concerned at the idea of Yosuke being a fag? You get really upset when people call Kanji gay as well.

>nothing in the game definitively proves he likes men
He's gay, bro. And so are you.

>literally nothing in the game definitively proves he likes men
besides, you know, the protagonist himself

>cut content is canon because I say so

Fucking everyone was on Yu's dick.

yeah and most were girls
kanji is bi
teddie would fuck anything
what's yosuke's excuse

Depends on what you mean by force. Cred Forums love to harp on when a character even mention "yeah i'm gay" and just points to that and say it's force. To you guys any gay character is pandering and forced.

And I honestly like this one.

He's literally the first friend you make when you get into town. He's pretty much the only who sees you as just a cool guy to hang out meanwhile everyone else feels like there just clinging to you

looks like a tales game

And the unused dialogue reveals that he wants you to crush his guts in.

I don't know why you keep insisting unused content is canon to the character but

it's not, this desperation is pathetic

It honestly looks more pathetic from my end. Why do you so hate the idea of Yosuke being gay? He clearly is. He's even gayer than fucking Kanji.

>He's literally the first friend you make when you get into town
No, that would be Izanami.

I don't recall anything in P4 indicating that

Kanji's whole deal is about him not entirely conforming to the stereotype of what a man should and shouldn't enjoy.

>the one who brings up Kanji's sexuality the most, proving he's even more insecure

I always took this as a sign of immaturity.

To be honest as easy as it is to say Sorey and Mikleo are gay, their relationship is more close to brothers or really good friends. Though that doesn't stop pandering for fujobux.

Recall Namco supposedly saying that romance just doesn't fit Sorey's character.

just leave him be, it's his headcanon yu x yosuke fantasy

Why is Cred Forums always being chased by their own gay thoughts?

>samefagging
That's cute, but not as cute as Yosuke's faggotry.

>no izanami s.link
hurts just a little bit

Because it isn't supported by things actually made into the game and even if she's a robot Labrys contradicts it.

>Recall Namco supposedly saying that romance just doesn't fit Sorey's character
They said M/F wouldn't work with Sora not relationship. And a lot of the game isn't really subtle on them being together.

Him, Protag, and Teddie do make cute girls.

This thread remind me of yurishipper shitposter from every yuri bait anime.

Yes, gay people are normal people. So I guess a game where being Gay isn't the only characteristic.

But why does it upset you so much?
Yosuke's sexuality is only lightly addressed, and the unused dialogue reveals the original plan of him being gay.
Why does this fact upset you so profoundly?

We just don't know.

>can't believe that more than one person disagrees with him
but i guess you keep deluding yourself into thinking yosuke's a queer huh

The issue is if it's "inconsequential or subtle," then straightfags scream "IT'S NOT HE'S NOT GAY!" But then if a character comes right out and is like "bro I'm gay" it becomes forced and pandering. How do you win?

because the original plan does not equal finalized canon

canon is what matters here

I'm not sure how a girl doesn't work with Sorey, but a guy does.

That is also the localization, they're of course going to riff on how close Sorey and Mikleo come off. Again it also panders to fujos.

>But then if a character comes right out and is like "bro I'm gay" it becomes forced and pandering. How do you win?

Wrong, no one said anything about forced or pandering when the demon enemy from Sengoku Rance was gay for him.

But why does it upset you so much?
You're getting angry about it, which isn't really a normal response to a perceived breach of "canon law".
This upsets you on some level. Are you a shipping faggot? Does Yosuke need to be linked to a female in your mind? Most people don't even like Yosuke as a character, so I don't know why you'd be so sad about the revelation of his sexuality.

>Keep pushing for clearly straight girls too be gay
>Spit in the face of any sub text like they've been had no matter how great the subtext is.

Neo-/u/ makes disappoints me as a yurifag.

>one (1) counterexample
>in a niche game that has a tiny western fanbase
>with an even smaller portion of fans who probably saw that scene
>which was completely played for laughs anyway

I'm defeated. Though I did jerk off thinking about it, too.

you have a stereotypically gay character that even in-universe no one likes to distract from the half dozen down-to-earth gay characters that are dating each other

>let Junko get away with everything to avoid having her reveal his homosexuality
I have a feeling Kyosuke would have preferred him coming out of the closet to that

>>one (1) counterexample
>>in a niche game that has a tiny western fanbase

Its might be a niche game outside of Cred Forums but its one of most favorited game in here for months and we all know this discussion is all about "Cred Forums hates gay" discussion so no, Rance is big in Cred Forums.

Also, GTA game got a lot of gay characters they even got a DLC exclusive to said character.

because canon is what happens in the series and everything else is just what you perceive, and you're pushing those onto everyone else with your evidence being content that was cut from the game

>violent drunken assholes that violate little girls
They were made for each other

I feel like if you had multiple gay characters Cred Forums would just scream "GAYS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A MINORITY! THIS IS PANDERING!" Though it actually is a good idea to have several lgbt characters, several non-white characters, etc. because then you can 100% avoid "tokenism."

Hammerlock is gay, there's a couple side quests where he mentions his old boyfriends.

It was pretty late into development, actually. It's on the game disc, and even dubbed in English.

that doesn't make it any less cut

Stop responding, you idiot.

I don't think you should disregard something that was kept for so long through development. In particular if it's such a minor thing that it could be in the game without changing anything.

I think you just have some personal issue here, some sperglord-like obsession with canon in a game with such a loose canon anyway.

It's still not in the game. Sure it wouldn't change much if it was, but the issue here is that it is not, so Yosuke can't be called gay or bi without definitive attraction to a guy. He can be called straight because of how badly he wanted to fuck Labrys when he thought she was human, but not gay or bi.

I hope not. Being gay is a sickness and should be eradicated.

I disagree.

Just saying what Namco said. They just said a M/F wouldn't work with Sora. And if you are going to argue about pandering everything is fucking pandering. Nearly every Japanese game is pandering to Japanese people. They don't really give a fuck about west and just localize them just for a bit of extra cash. So the whole "they are pandering!" is a dumb argument since everything is technically pandering on some level.

>they're more like brothers or friends! it's just fujo-pandering!

See, this is exactly what I'm fucking talking about. There's no winning with you fags. If a character doesn't come right out and say "I'm gay as fucking shit and want to bone this dude" you guys plug your ears and say "not gay."

I see what OP did there.

If Mikleo was a girl, this game would be so much better and less confusing

Any game where you play as yourself.

were snake and otacon gay for eachother or was that just a meme?

>lived together and raised a daughter together

Gay as fuck.

I love how Yosuke is meant to be like a hippy version of Junpei, your ultimate bro, and in the end just comes across as a fucking faggot. Even though the game has an actual character with grey-area sexuality that it makes fun of constantly.

God Persona 4 was so shitty.

>less confusing
Sorey and Mikleo's relationship might be the only thing in the game that actually makes sense. Since everything else was butcher by Rose.

The problem is Cred Forums either says "unless they say it they are not actually gay" but if they do say it "fucking pandering why do they even add this shit in the game"

Since when is "canon" so important?
Which Persona 3 is canon? Are the movies canon? Is the manga canon? Is Persona Q canon?
Didn't you play MGS2? The challenge our media is currently progressing through is to not get bogged down in "canon" and what you see on-screen and learn to love subtext. There are thousands of great films and books and even video games using something like an unreliable narrator or some other device that deliberately conveys exaggerated or flat-out false information to you because we are at a stage in human art and media where you have the thinking ability to discern what is real and what is not from the subtext. These higher forms of media are trusting you to read between the lines. Look at Dark Souls.

despite all the advertising focusing on how DORIAN WAS THE GAYEST EVER it didn't actually come into his character unless you tried to romance him

anyway he was an alright character. most of the cast were bland or retarded as shit, and he was one of the less bland or retarded characters so he's okay in my books. the only thing that bothers me is his painted on moustache

Don't know if it's been said already, but I think the best gay character and the best way he is handled is Bill from The Last of Us.

Why s everyone in Dragon Age so oily?

It was also played as a joke

All Japanese characters are gay as fuck.

That's pretty much what OP asked.

I'm not complaining, Namco putting stuff in for fujo is good business sense.

They're ultimately just brother or friends because that is as far as a game is going to go, more over it just doesn't seem to fit with Sorey's character.

Not going out and supporting one relationship also allows the shippers to fight each other and buy everything for the newest snippet of information.

>a stereotypical, feminine, gay character
>handled well

I'm still disappointed I couldn't put it in Yosuke's boypussy

this was a horrible gay character tho

it litterally had nothing to do at all they just threw it in for pandering

By that logic Dojima also killed those people because an unusued concept had him as the killer.

Don't be fucking retarded.

That always sounded super insulting to me. A real zoidberg moment.

But that would actually contradict the whole story of the game. It's clearly not comparable to Yosuke's real sexuality.

>By that logic Dojima also killed those people because an unusued concept had him as the killer.
Not that I disagree with your point, but that was never the case. It was just a mistranslation.

Actually I've only seen that occasionally. Almost always it's "Wow the character just flat out goes "Hello I'm Sir Francis and I'm GAY and also kill this DRAGON and I'm GAY." which is an example of shitty writing.

Sexuality should not be the core of your character. It should be a building block.

To be honest I never looked into it. Yosuke is gay and Dojima was the killer were just things I'd heard off handedly. But seriously people need to stop replying to the Yosuke is Gay, Cut Line Confirms guys. They're obviously trolling.

>it didn't actually come into his character unless you tried to romance him

His personal sidequest, which has nothing to do with whether you romance him, is about how his dad tried to use magic to make him not gay.

He's also a fucking camp fruitcake.

>ctrl+f arcade
>1 result
>it's the LAST result in the thread
this thread got saved by the skin of its teeth

>He's also a fucking camp fruitcake.
he's a dandy. everyone from tevinter is a dandy. that's their whole gimmick other than blood magic

>The best characters of the franchise is gay.
What did they mean by this?

Isn't he from an openly decadent society? With a guy who openly fucks his slave, and travels the world trying to get his fucktoy back?

It didn't make sense.

I haven't looked much into it either, I just know that the 'Dojima was the killer' is usually shot down pretty quickly. I've heard Yukiko was originally meant to be the killer, which I'd have loved, but that doesn't make sense either.

The only person who wasn't Adachi that could have possibly been the killer, and fit within the rest of the story, is Yosuke, since he moved to Inaba recently. 6(?) months would probably be too long a go though.

But yeah, Yosuke being gay is just bait/a joke.

I don't care if he is but I played P4 vanilla on the ps3 and Yosuke wasn't gay in that game.

Can someone fill me in on this meme?

Except 99% of the character you ever meet is based on that. But nearly all of them are straight who talks about a girl they are meeting or something. In terms of gay they switch that to meeting a guy they like in which case it's "my pandering ;_;" That's how it always goes. One tiny word on them actually gay no matter if it's core or not people tend to just say it's pandering.

I would agree but for the fact his entire sidequest is him whining like a little bitch because he couldn't put on his big boy pants and fuck a girl to make an heir.

Also he can enter a gay relationship with Iron Bull.

>Deus Ex Mankind Divided did, I think. There's a major character and you only know he's gay if you break into his apartment and look at his personal photographs.
Very good example. It didn't stop Cred Forums from being triggered, but it is a good example.

>he's a dandy. everyone from tevinter is a dandy.

He's not, though. His default outfit like is a brown sack with a missing sleeve. I get that he was supposed to be one. Just add it to the pile of the rest of the DA:I art team's failures.

That said, he's not a terrible character. He's just really, really stereotypical.

SHSL LUCC wants to SHSL SUCC

The issue isn't that they're going "I'm meeting a guy" it's that dialog then turns into "A guy?" "Yes, for I am one of the gays." "I see. I'm proud of you."

Or some shit. It's essentially "I'm meeting a girl." "Is she hot?" "Smoking." "I'm proud of you, Jim." in terms of stupid writing.

Example?

That guild wars healer in 2 whose name I forget is the first example to come to mind. Anyway the thing is for me, I don't think it's bad because of pandering. I think it's bad because it's shitty character design. I just want games with characters who have more depth than a fucking puddle coloured in the flavor of the day.

The thing is 99% of NPC you meet tend to give just a quick line of dialog. Something like "I sure do love my wife" or some dumb shit like that. And one in a fucking rare time you might talk to someone who goes "boy I love my husband" and you never fucking see him again. But Cred Forums will someone convince themselves "he's throwing his gayness in my face!"

The one and only time a gay man really threw his gayness in your face and had any real impact on the story might be Enchanted Arm. There is no fucking other time where gay man actively ruined a game because of "he's gay"

I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain that a game was ruined because of 1 character. Just that it's shitty writing and smells of pandering. I think you're exaggerating

Duncan does that and people love him, give me an example of what you're talking about

I've never played this, but it's my understanding that half of the cast is gay or something?

Who? Sorry there's a lot of Duncan in games.
Except Cred Forums loves talking about gay pandering all the time. It's like Cred Forums thinks games are filled with gay men wanting to fuck their butts all day. When 99% of the time they are random NPC that happen to say they are gay and Cred Forums points to that as being the worse things that happened in gaming.

I think he means Duncan from Shadowrun. And also you say Cred Forums but you mean a minority.

Kanji is gay, probably.
Yosuke isn't officially gay, but he's a pretty big fag in-game and was originally planned to be gay, so he basically is.

Sure lets say that. Either way people that goes out of their way to complain that a character is gay tend to focus on them way too much. Your Guild War 2 thing (if you are that user). I haven't played but how often do you actively have to talk to the Healer? Because if the answer is none or once than it doesn't fucking matter.

Kanji isn't gay any more than Chie is a dominatrix who wants to keep Yukiko under her heel sexually. It's an overloaded aspect of his insecurities.

That said he's probably bi considering he gets nosebleeds from anyone wearing a swimsuit

Nanako should have been the killer

I never thought Kanji was gay. Considering his whole social link is about accepting that it's okay to do shit that's considered un manly. I feel like Golden kind of missed the point of a lot of it's characters, just so it could cash in on the jokes people were making.

Yosuke also hits on several girls and remember, it was basically his and Teddies idea to sneak in to the girls room.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm saying that those are POORLY WRITTEN GAY CHARACTERS. And they are. In the case of that healer it basically forces you into a shitty conversation which is just jarring and doesn't even relate to the situation at hand. That is actually pandering, but more importantly it's shit.

Seriously even if it was a dude telling you about how much he likes to fuck chicks it'd be jarring and not fit in with the situation at hand. You do realise womaniser characters, even on tv, often walk a fine line between "this is a good character" and "this character is all about his sexuality, kind of a lame character actually."

That's just him being a closet case that's so in denial of his gayness that he over compensated by being super into getting pussy because he thinks that's what normal straight guys would be into.

Yes but how many people actively cry over it? People only seem to care because it's not talking about females. And as I said typically a 40 hour game you might find a NPC who might say "I like guys" for 10 seconds and everyone will jump on just that. A 10 second talk is somehow all they can think of.

I think you're going way to deep into the psych of an anime character whose main characteristics are "bored" and "always playing second fiddle."

Dude, people on Cred Forums are contrarian as fuck. You will always have at least 3 people per thread bitching about something. That does not matter. And a LOT of people bitch about womanisers in video games and tv shows. Even fucking Barney from How I Met Your Mother. You know why you're not seeing it a lot on Cred Forums? Because it's been around a lot longer than the gay characters have, seeing as how adding them in was kind of a "big deal" not too long ago. People are so accustomed to it, they just blank over it like "that was stupid, meh."

>it's been around a lot longer than the gay characters have

The ones that exclude them.

A joke (and unrelated to the actual game) and something that they're still joking about today. I mean if you want to include joke gay and transvestite characters, we can go way back if you want. But that's not what we were talking about. We're talking about characters that are meant to be taken seriously.

And I say like Birdo they tend to be one off that you only really talk to for 5 seconds. And like you said 99% of the time they hardly actually matter to the game and could easily be forgotten if you want to.

these two

There's a character like that in Witcher 3. He was a hunter who was exiled from his village. You're led to believe it's because he's a werewolf, and if you offer to help cure him he doesn't know what the fuck you're talking about and tells you that he was in a relationship with the baron's son and they were found out. It's a funny moment and doesn't feel like some shoehorned attempt at diversity.

Cred Forums only accepts Japanese gay characters because Japan sees it as forbidden love, which makes it relatable to them because they're in the closet.

Exactly so honestly there is no problem. Shit writers will be shit writers. And there will always be a handful of people who will complain about anything.

True just saying how people love crying over this but really can never name a character that actually ruined a game because he was gay. Just name a character who you talk to once and cry how he talked about liking men. Which in a 40+ hour game means really nothing.