What videogame has the absolute best graphics for its respective time? half life 2 in 2004, or doom 3 the same year...

what videogame has the absolute best graphics for its respective time? half life 2 in 2004, or doom 3 the same year? MGS in 1998, or Crysis in 2007?

hard mode: don't mention crysis at all

wouldn't pong win? for the time

thats a pretty good point, though it really doesnt have graphics to speak of. still very important for its time though

Gears 1 blew me away back when that came out in 2006. It also helped that I bought my first HD tv the day it came out too. Plasma TV's were the shit unless you left your game on for 12 hours by accident

yeah the start of last gen with the HD revolution was a pretty big leap from what came before. I remember thinking the original motorstorm looked amazing on PS3

MGS was definitely not the best looking game of 1998.

I remember upgrading from a shitty TV using AV cables to the best LCD you could get at the time and Gears blew my dick off it looked that good.

metro 2033

throwing out FEAR, in 2005. same lighting techniques as Doom 3, but with better models, textures, and environmental reactivity. game holds up super well

What game?

ethan carter

honestly this game looks good, but aside from the texture quality nothing it does is particularly impressive. It has good graphics for sure, and insane texture resolution and quality, but otherwise its nothing special. pretty flat lighting

I honestly think FEAR looks way worse than NOLF2

eh i like that look, feels more realistic.

I suppose it is, but they also made certain artistic choices to avoid pure photorealism, and give it a layer of style. Look at the background trees in OP to see what I mean

Tight. Thanks.

2004 was either Doom 3 or F.E.A.R

FEAR was 2005, still a strong contender. I wanna say HL2 takes 2004 for the amount of technology in its engine, but Doom 3 has prettier lighting.

I thought Mirror's Edge had some fucking sharp graphics when it first came out, though a lot of it was just bright white environments with some clashing colors like red, yellow, blue, etc.

So it stood out in high detail because it was a white background.

hey, even if it was kinda cheating, it worked. game holds up amazingly well, and arguably looks better than catalyst.

It used new lighting techniques from animated movies,so it looks better than most games out today surprisingly.

>kinda cheating
there's nothing cheating about it, if it works it works, that's all there is to it

Alien Isolation, it was sublime and ran smooth.

I'd say Unreal is up there. Still holds up today.