A mature, believable, sprawling open world

>a mature, believable, sprawling open world
>can enter towns without loading screens
>merchant dont buy or sell outside their profession
>all your choices and allegiances have palpable consequences to the extent that you wont see and do everything in your first playthrough and are free to destroy your progress in the game at will
>tactical combat

What is TES III Morrowind?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2lMiu4j9xvQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pretty sure I remember being able to sell everything to any merchant, they just didn't have unlimited gold. Also
>tactical combat
No, no it really wasn't. I'm not sure what the fuck Bethesda was thinking with their combat system. If they wanted dice so bad they should've hijacked 3.5 and called it a day.

Making this thread not about bait:

So I just started dragon age origins and it's kinda fucking boring? Does it get better? Are the newer games less tedious?

>mature
>believable
lame

you can only sell NPCs items related to their trade, the turtle vendor is a good example of this

>le epic miss meme

It gets fun, how far are you in?
2 and 3 are horrendous, avoid at all costs

Lothering & Orzimmar (or at least the Deep Roads part) are the low points of the game.

Are you at one of the two?

I just went to redcliffe, and because I didn't want to kill the dumb lady or the dumb idiot kid because my new friends will get mad at me, they sent me to the the mages. So right now I just got to the little ferry area outside the mages tower.

>DA2
>less tedious because you only have 1 (one) city to explore

>DA:I
>you have bigger world
>the battle system is MORE tedious
>everything is more tedious
>MMO tier quest and I mean "collect 10 herbs" or "kill 20 mons"

How far in are you? It has a slow start, but even then, it's a relatively dense game and it might not be your cup of tea depending on what you're expecting... What exactly did you find boring about it?
If you want something a little more streamlined and exciting then the most recent, Inquisition, might suit you better. I wouldn't recommend DA2 to anyone.

I have never played any Witcher game but I think they look cool.
Morrowind is cool because of what a transformation your character makes from total bitch to someone who kills gods, levitates, jumps miles at a time, and rules every faction they are a member of.

Stop right there.

Get the Skip the Fade mod. Do it. I forgot all about the Fade. THAT is the worst part of the game.

>a mature, believable

What's so mature and belivable about the world?

It's filled with nonsense and idiocy

>oh you have this guy he's a tactical genius, he conquered the continent in two months but also he's INSAANE and ebil

>and you have this religion who are all cackling evil and corrupt and they burn scientist just like Galileo
>and the bad guys are these guys in black unpractical spiky armor who talk in generic one liners

>merchant dont buy or sell outside their profession
This is the single worst thing in large rpgs. Fucking having to search around for the one wanker that will by my enchanted spoon. I just want to run into a town and dump all the shit I want to sell into some poor npcs inventory, then get the fuck out with the money i just made

It's not the combat is hard, because it's pretty easy, but I can't seem to make the AI not completely retarded with the little tactics menu so I have to do everything manually. Which, again, isn't that bad, but it gets exhausting after a while.

Well alright. What's so bad about it?

>and are free to destroy your progress in the game at will

Um..this is not true. Nothing you do will destroy your progress.

Actually Vvardenfall's an island, not a continent. It's pretty small.

Also Dagoth was winning because he had the heart and could spread the blight.
A long multi hour series of shapeshifting puzzles. It's not nearly as good as it sounds.

Oh and your companions liking/disliking shit seems a little shoehorned. Like I get that they all have different personalities and that's supposed to create this big drama about choices, but it's every little fucking thing. Fuck you morrigan I can help people if I want to. You don't have to get all pissy about it every single time

>A long multi hour series of shapeshifting puzzles
I am definitely getting that mod then. Thanks for the heads up user

If you kill an essential NPC the game will tell you to load another save or continue living in the cursed world you created. You can break progress.

I never mentioned the combat or its difficulty. Were you intentionally replying to me?

What i meant by it being dense is that it's a lot like a high fantasy novel; there's a lot of emphasis on lore and the pacing is very gradual and slow.

>start out as a poor blook who gets killed by rats and mudcrabs and has to pay fair in order to travel places or just walk
>Late game becomes a demigod who can fly one hit kill things so hard it's possible to crash the game. Soul traps gods and use them to enchant your slippers, and become the most powerful being in the universe.
I don't think any game has ever been as rewarding as Morrowind.

>tactical combat

Well you asked me what I found boring about it, and that was the answer. The story and lore and shit is all fine and dandy to me.

fuck now I'm having flashbacks to it

jesus christ it's one of the worst levels ever made in a videogame

literally tedium: the level

I want a game to make me feel the same way I feel when I look at this pic.

silt striders are so fucking creepy

I haven't played DA:O since it was released, can someone remind me more of what that section was? I don't really remember it.

>the battle system is MORE tedious
>i have ADHD and can't play anything that isn't action

I think part of the reason why Morrowind was atmospheric was because of the early mechanics. In order to get anywhere fast you had to pay the fair, and you had to learn which fairs took you where, and how much the ride would cost. Boats could only take you to places by water, and mages could only teleport you to other Mages Guilds. Also, in order to make any progress you had to first get yourself a job. That game made you work for you God mode.

It's funny because both play like shit and aren't even close to as good as they were made out to be.

>Be me
>In vivec, exploring old abandoned house
>See a door that's locked and pick it
>Go through it
>Find myself in a room fool of well decorated walls, rugs, and rich people everywhere
wtf did I step into?

I enjoyed them both, user. I think Cred Forums is, generally speaking, incapable of understanding the difference between overhyped and actually bad. I think Witcher 3 is an average or slightly above average open world RPG.

And look where we are now. Everything is handed during the the first hour, i am scared for the future of RPG's it might be next one to go into obscurity next to RTS.

The Imperial quarter. It full of posh people and fetishist.

>implying actual RPGs haven't already gone into obscurity

I'm just sad that the easiest way to play Current Bethesda games is to just stay on level 1 so that enemies don't become tougher to kill.

Morrowind at least made it so you felt like leveling up was a rewarding experience.

>tfw all Witcher games are awesome in a different way
>tfw Morrowind manages to be amazing despite it's flaws
Hateful fucks please leave

>Witcher1_combat.gif

>implying actual RPGs haven't already gone into obscurity
Hush. Im staving off the pain.

And leveled loot destroyed all incentive for exploration. 9 out of 10 dungeons in Morrowind have nothing of consequence in them, but that one time you find something amazing gets you to keep exploring any dungeons you come across. At least Skyrim had those dragon shouts that you could find from caves and shit but Oblivion barely had any reason for entering and exploring dungeons.

I tried to play the first Witcher game but dropped it after an hour and a half of trying to kill ghost dogs on the outskirts of a city populated by physically identical cockney peasant NPCs. I regret nothing.

Why does everyone hate the deep roads? I do it last and for lategame high level fightan and loots it's as great as everything else, plus you can afford all the unique shit they sell there if you go in late. It does suck missing out on ohgren for a lot of the game though.

>Why does everyone hate the deep roads?
Cause a lot of people went there when they were underleveled/underequipped and generally had a bad time.

TES III is a PC game that's also on consoles
TW3 is a console game that's also on PC

much better on PC though, as long as you have a controller

>the miss meme persists

>he doesn't like the combat
I don't get this. I have people who play Neverwinter Nights and World of Warcraft who can't handle Morrowind combat, it's absurd.

I get why normies can't handle seeing the sword hit even though it misses, but people who play WoW for god's sake should understand, that game pulls the same shit and nobody cares.

There wouldn't be any bitching about the combat if there was a little animation of your character missing when he did.

Probably not. I remember feeling like that when playing Gothic and Dark Souls for the first time, but it wasn't to the same extent.

replay both game and tell me DAO doesn't have a better battle system than DAI

>68 long blade
>level 1
Really? I never did make too many characters, but that looks a little high for a starting skill.

Why does every thread I post art in die?

I'm sorry user, I only just arrived.

Weapon skills stack with redguard bonuses and strength.

Why does anyone pretend that the melee system in Morrowind is at all good?
There's literally nothing to do in it beyond walking up to someone and hitting the attack button until one of you falls over dead. Magic is implemented really well but melee is god awful boring.
Secondly going beyond "the miss meme" the entire fatigue system in Morrowind is horribly implemented. The thing you use it for most (running) can continue to be done even when you're entirely out of stamina which makes as much sense as being able to still cast spells with no mana or continue living with no health and it's horribly balanced in regards to skills, i.e. it factors in way too much during the early levels whilst being literally irrelevant in the later ones (on most enemies, would have hit most of the time with either a full or empty fatigue bar thanks to having ~70 in long blade)
This is exaggerated even further with the melee system as when you have low stamina and fail to cast a spell it at least fizzles out to show that you've failed it, meanwhile you continue to put your axe through someone's face and it registers as a miss rather than showing a glancing blow or maybe being NOT ABLE TO ATTACK BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THE RESOURCE (stamina) NEEDED TO ATTACK AT ALL.
TL:DR melee is fucking awful in morrowind and anyone defending it needs to realise dungeon master and its clones did it better decades before. This goes doubly for the retards who cry about underage

I'm not denying that Morrowind has it's issues, or that the melee system is little more than okay, but the combat didn't really matter all too much to me while I was playing the game because I was fully immersed. Combining melee and ranged in combat while just trying to survive was an experience enough for me.

I'm not sure if I'm agreeing or disagreeing with you, maybe I'm saying it doesn't really matter as long as it's fun? The game does so much good, this isn't that much of a set back, at least for me.

Why does anyone pretend that not understanding the melee-system in Morrowind doesn't show that you're retarded beyond salvation?

its easy as fuck to understand:
you wanna hit something with that sword? Better get your sword-skill to higher leves

Can't you get every skill to 100 with out leveling up by not resting at all?

Wrong. Have Anakin fuck of Obi and I'll agree.

>using a modded game
Here's the original

Do Polacks eat their own shit so much they must make these daily Witcher shilling threads?

>Muh visceral combat
That's why you play rpgs, right? For their fighting mechanics? Love me some modern Fallout, Mass Effect, etc

Theoretically, I suppose.

>whoosh
>whoosh
>whoosh
>whoosh

The continuous sound of your weapon going through the enemy. And not in the good way.

Not him, but that's bullshit. Certain enemies, like mudcrabs, should always be hit as they are the shitty enemies who you level up against. The issue is that unless you have a lot of money, or patience and the health to tank it out, you'll never level up anything that isn't a major skill. If failing still gave you a minimum of one exp, then maybe, but as it is the rolls just fuck the game over more than they make it enjoyable.
You can get 100 with every skill regardless. Resting just puts your attributes up.

How long until people stop replying to Polack CDPR drones?

This. The whole point to level was the get better. The whole point of avoiding certain enemies was that they're too powerful for your level. Having enemies level with you doesn't make sense.

>but as it is the rolls just fuck the game over more than they make it enjoyable.
Maybe for you, but a lot of other people have no issue with it. I agree that it could have been done better but it is what it is and it's damn enjoyable.

>mudcrabs should always be hit
I disagree. When a game uses a system, such as Morrowind's dice roll, you expect it to be consistent. If it starts throwing shit at you like "this is a constant 100% chance to hit enemy" or "as long as you're above this level you will always hit these guys" then you lose respect for the system, if the game doesn't follow it's own rules and actually use correct modifiers all the time then it may as well not be using that system at all. You might say "well yeah, they shouldn't have!", you might be right, but they did and were consistent with it.

Witcher revenues are like 40% of Polish GDP.

>What is TES III Morrowind?
Overhyped garbage from a time where games like Gothic did everything better?

That was only true in Oblivion.

Skyrim, while still levelled, does have a minimum level for each enemy type. So (this is just hypothetical), the standard bandits might have a lowest level of 5, while the lowest bandit leader might be 15, and the lowest daedra might be 30. Same goes for max range, I think the highest non-boss bandit type is like level 40 from memory, whereas vampires range up stupidly high, into the 70's I think.

So if you stay at level one, you'll have issues doing a lot of missions and in some areas.

>Bitcher
>Ever being as good as any TES game

>comparing Morrowind to Gothic
Are you fucking retarded? They're entirely different games, despite both being RPGs. Might as well compare GTAIII to Age of Empires.

No, I'm certain it's absolute true in Skyrim and Fallout 4 as well.

For example, in Skyrim if I leveled up in areas that weren't combat related, Enemies in the same area would suddenly become much harder to beat, which was leveling up alchemy was a bad idea. And in Fallout 4, when I first started out the surest way to beat an impossible enemy was to use a bottlecap mine for an instant kill. So I reserved them for DeathClaws. Now, I come back to the same area, to find a DeathClaw, and I use a bottlecap mine, only a third of it's health is gone, and it's not even a tough DeathClaw. In fact, I remember early game Fallout 4 I could shoot a tough enemy a minal amount of 5 times with a hunting rifle before they died. When I'm level 50 it takes 30 shots and some grenades to kill them, and I've fully upgraded my rifle too.

You're right that if you don't level any combat skills and then go into combat with enemies that will have scaled up, you'll have a hard time, but that's true in a game without scaling too, if you don't use any combat skills and then try to fight high level enemies, you're fucked.

But the level ranges is just objective fact, some enemy types (all) have a minimum level, and once the PC reaches that level, they scale with something like (for example) PC levelx 0.0125 =NPC level, up until a maximum.

So you won't end up with level 60 rats, but no level 2 dremora either, and some NPC's have a set level that they don't deviate from.

It's not a fully leveled system, but it's still based around a leveling system somewhat.

Yeah, but the difference is that in Morrowind I could keep to the low level areas in order to build up my combat skills to something acceptable, and go fight the higher level enemies later. In Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 4, once I leveled up there was no going back, and I would be forced to always be trying to play catch up in a leveling system that would always outpace me. So what if I don't fight level 60 rats? The rats are just replaced with dremora, so it might as well just be a reskin of rats because I will never see those rats again. Obivion especially had it hard, because even though I could level up, the npc's couldn't. So if you did a quest requiring protecting a npc that could die you best remember to get around to doing that quest early or else there's no way you could get through it with them alive.

But that's not true at all in Skyrim. Dungeons have set enemy types, so rats are always going to be rats, and have a max level. You're not going to see level 40 things around whiterun because you were a retard and grinded exclusively non-combat skills in an arpg.

You'll have issues with dungeons, but the question there becomes "why did you spend so long levelling everything but combat skills, and then go in and do combat?". It's not hard to put a few points into combat, and you'd have to go out of your way to not level up combat skills.

Same for health. If you grind up smithing and make a good suit of armor, you'll still be able to tank pretty alright if you've been putting your health up too.

Same for alchemy, make some fucking potions if you've spent so long levelling it, you can get your skills up way beyond what you normally would be level say 30 or so if you use those, as well as increasing resistances, damage done with whatever weapon type, all sorts of stuff.

It's like levelling long blade in morrowind, then running in with an ax and complaining that enemies are too hard in the level you're meant to be up to. Don't be retarded, use the skills you have.

However, Oblivions system was exactly what you're saying, and it was fucking retarded as a result. Once you level up, lower level enemies simply stop existing.

Morrorwind is shit

>you were a retard and grinded exclusively non-combat skills in an arpg
Hold the fuck up. You're calling me retarded for trying to role play in an rpg? That's fucking stupid. And it's not like I'm making shit up. For example, I made two saves to do the same quest. In one save I did the quest at level 40 with a combat perked heavy armor brute. The dungeon I had to wade through was full of DeathLord Drawgr's, and was near impossible to beat. In the second save I started the quest as early as possible with just a level 5 character. The enemies were weak and usually died in five hits, and I had plenty of healing potions. It feels like I'm going insane, but it's true. The exact same Dungeon. The exact same quest. Two completely different results.

Morrowind didn't have that problem.

tfw stopped witcher 3 shortly after going to skellige over a year ago and I'm not sure whether to restart the main game or not

I can't remember fucking anything

You forgot
>giving no shit about the source material
>choices don't really have an Impact on the World

>You're calling me retarded for trying to role play in an rpg?

What roleplay said you should exclusively grind non-combat skills, then go into a dungeon and not use them?

And I'm not denying scaling doesn't exist, I'm saying that it's not a purely scaled game, that enemies do have max and minimum levels that they'll ever get to. There's also a system where dungeons will not increase in difficulty after you first enter them. If you go into a dungeon and come back later, it'll be the same level as when you first entered it. But if you don't, it'll scale.

It's a system that is still flawed, for the reasons you said, but it's drastically improved than it was in Oblivion. And admittedly, from a gameplay perspective, being completely unscaled has flaws too, that any content you miss in a level becomes boring and shit once you've passed it, because it's just trivial. An interesting quest line leading up to a great boss fight just becomes dull when you can one hit the boss, or annoying if he has a mechanic that means you have to wait between stages of his fight, because it's just "one hit, wait a minute, one hit". You see this most obviously in MMO's, if you miss content, there's simply no point going back to it, and many of them have a system where the player's level is lowered to the recommended for that region to avoid it.

Now, Skyrim's system isn't great, especially for gear, it makes finding artifacts pretty pointless, but there's definitely some in between that would be most enjoyable from a gameplay perspective.

>They're entirely different games
Both are RPGs, both feature a semi-open world, came out around the same time and both feature character progression and combat systems. Albeit one completely fucks up on nearly all fronts.

Whether or not you can compare them isn't really of any importance, it's more that TES3 is overrated and was at the time it came out. Gravely fucking overrated.

Again, Morrowind didn't have this problem though. The items gained from quests and dungeons were all useful in their own way. Usually most dungeons had nothing worthwile in them, but sometimes they did, and they were rare and hard to get. I remember going into a daedric temple, seeing a powerful Daedric spear and picking it up, only to be killed by a daedric lord who spawns if you do so. But early in the game you get special items that are perfect for people who know what to do with them, like magic swords that were the only way to hurt ghosts with melee. Or boots that would blind you but make you go really fast. Everything was useful, and it didn't need to be scaled.

You're right, but it has other issues, as I said. If you miss an early game piece of content, that content is going to be shit when you come back to it, because it's just going to have no challenge, and no reward.

And you named a few useful things, but lets be honest, most of what you find isn't like that stuff. It's a sword, or some gold, or some alchemy ingredients. Not interesting useful loot, but mostly trash you don't even bother to pick up.

Now, skyrim has this same issue to some degree (less so with potions in dungeons, I think they're a thing that should absolutely be scaled. There's no point there being one that heals 30 health when you have 800 health, and ones that heal 400+ are easy to find), but it also means that early game quests tend to be more interesting to run through when you come back and find something you missed.

Please don't ignore the points as to why scaling can be positive to purely focus on the one that I admitted was done poorly.

That's stupid. I left way more stuff behind in Skyrim than I did in Morrowind. In Morrowind at least I would be able to sell everything, and things were light enough that I could usually clear an entire dungeon out if I was smart. And it doesn't make any sense for bandits to have Daedric armor and weapons. In Morrowind, there'd be exactly one Daedric weapon of each type, and on armor piece. That shit was rare, because it was legendary gear. To have it become common place absolutely ruins the lore, and it breaks immersion. Also, the less powerful gear were usually much lighter so they could be taken to be sold and still be useful, something Skyrim failed to do. Sure, they tended to be lighter, but not light enough, and definitely not worth enough. And even if the gear and riches didn't make the search worth it, usually the story or discoveries were. Like, discovering an Indian Jones references in a completely random cave with a skeleton crushed by a boulder. Or a random lute called a Fat Lute that was completely worthless besides it's funny name. Skyrim failed to make exploration the exciting part. There was no part in dungeon crawling for better gear because any gear you found would be matched by scaled enemies, making it practically worthless.

>put your axe through someone's face and it registers as a miss rather than showing a glancing blow
Just use your imagination, Chad.

>Endryn Llethan swears me to the vow of silence in traveling from Ass End South to Ass End North
>realize I won't even be able to use ferries
>realize I won't even be able to use silt striders
>alt tab and find this thread

I'm in for the long haul, friends. I have 68 units until overencumbrance, 9 standard restore health potions, and 45 speed. Wish me luck.

>In Morrowind at least I would be able to sell everything, and things were light enough that I could usually clear an entire dungeon out if I was smart.

You could do this much easier in skyrim, things were heavier in Morrowind than they were in Skyrim than they were in Morrowind.

And as a late game character, where you have stupid amounts of money anyway, being able to sell stuff isn't much of a reward, especially when you'll get at most a thousand gold in an average dungeon.

>And it doesn't make any sense for bandits to have Daedric armor and weapons. In Morrowind, there'd be exactly one Daedric weapon of each type, and on armor piece

This only happens in Oblivion, and Daedric has never been that rare lore wise. It's not a unique artifact, just stupidly hard to make, or expensive to buy as a result.

>Also, the less powerful gear were usually much lighter so they could be taken to be sold and still be useful, something Skyrim failed to do

Do you not remember how heavy an ax, or a chest plate, or a hammer was in Morrowind?

>Like, discovering an Indian Jones references in a completely random cave with a skeleton crushed by a boulder. Or a random lute called a Fat Lute that was completely worthless besides it's funny name. Skyrim failed to make exploration the exciting part.

But both of those things, or at least similar, are in Skyrim.

My point was that early game content is generally pointless, because it's trivially easy, and the rewards are useless. Sure, you might find one cool thing, but that doesn't actually address my point that almost all of the content that you're past the recommended level for, is boring as shit.

Come on user, the whole point of video games is so you don't have to use your imagination. If people wanted to use their imagination, they'd play a tabletop game.

>Come on user, the whole point of video games is so you don't have to use your imagination
Millennials in a nutshell.

Morrowind's combat is definitely not tactical. Maybe you could call it strategic since it will play out differently based on how you prepared your character for the enemies you're encountering, but when it comes to the actual battle your decisions are:
1. Attack with whatever does the highest fully-charged damage for your weapon.
2. Attack with one of the other two inferior attacks for no good reason.
3. Use potions and scrolls if you're going to die without them.
It's really simplistic when it comes to tactics. The outcome of each battle is more or less decided before it even starts. You just need to click a few times to find out if you were capable of winning or not.

I'll give you magic. There's definitely some interesting choices to make thanks to the huge variety of effects and number of slots you can enchant. The overall game mechanics also give you a lot of variables to play around with, but it ultimately amounts to flavor since enemy AI is all the same. The only time you really need to vary your tactics is when you're dealing with someone that can reflect magic.

To the game's credit there's just so much stuff in it that it can still surprise you when the stars align and some unusual situation emerges. Like fighting hand-to-hand in water and drowning your opponent by keeping them knocked down, throwing back thrown weapons that hit you and ended up in your inventory, or that time I found the Lord's Mail guy at way too low a level (there are rumors in Ebonheart that can lead you there even if you aren't in the Imperial Legion) and tried to cheese him by levitating and shooting arrows, but he drank a levitate potion of his own and chased me into the air to 1-shot me. Situations like that are neat when they happen, but are few and far between.

>But both of those things, or at least similar, are in Skyrim.
No they fucking weren't. Every single dungeon felt exactly the same from the last to the first. Only the DLC's gave a little more creativity. I'm honestly finding it hard to believe you actually played Morrowind if you're making such obviously wrong and stupid comparisons. In a random dungeon in Morrowind you could at least expect to run in some named hostile NPC's, maybe a family with a little home in their hovel. In skyrim, unless the dungeon was quest related, you couldn't expect to find anything named, or creative wise. In fact, that brings me back to another downside of scaled gear in Skyrim. Ever weapon was generic and so were the NPC's. If you got the axe of Whiterun at level 4 it would be a steel one handed axe with a minor enchantment. If you were level 20 when you were given this weapon it would be an Orc axe with a much better enchantment. And it would look exactly, like, every, other, axe. In Morrowind, special weapons looked special, and were given special fucking attributes. Everything was boring, and completely horrible for lore consistency. Also, In morrowind sure, a few things would be heavy, but also the heavy stuff wouldn't be as common. There'd be one or two heavy armor guys, with two or three mallets at most. Easy to carry you only kept light gear in the first place, especially with how quickly your strength scaled your inventory space.

Dreams I wish could come true ;_;

REEEEE FUCKING BETHESDA YOU FUCKING WHORES SOLD OUT FUCKING CASUALS NO HEART NO SOUL I WANT MORROWIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okey Cred Forums, you are a gamedeveloper who wants to make a morrowinesque type of game.

How do you handle the fighting aspect?

Will a player with 5 skill points in Long blade hit everytime? Will you implement a miss system, not as frequent as morrowind, where the enemy does a dodge animation?

How would you do it? Did oblivion make a good job with combat in your opinion?

>REEEEE
Fuck off, reddit

I would revamp the combat system. Elder Scrolls combat sucks complete ass right now. I'd make it something more like Mount & Blade or Dark Souls. Something with actual gameplay.

>reddit
Silly false flagger. REEEE is a Cred Forums meme.

Remember when Elders Scroll had multiple armor pieces, making it fun to play around, and collect parts.

The yearning and thirst saving up money for each armor piece?

Yeah forget about that goys, in our new installation we will have full-armors only, and only 3 different types of armors.

The control schemes in both games, and the games themselves are bad though. Witcher 3 has no content, just a bunch of meaningless bullshit and every Witcher game has a bad control scheme. Morrowind has a good world but the shit controls and autistic tabletop failure mechanic hurt the game and it's not even the best story in the elder scrolls series, whole having the worst swordplay/offensive magic

This triggers the fat autistic neckbearded Morrowind-fag that hasn't been able to get over his childlike nostalgia.

>by line-of-sighting a merchant you can steal some the most powerful basic unenchanted items in the game at level 1

>How do you handle the fighting aspect?
Depends on how much budget and resources I have in order to experiment and prototype.

If I'm on tight budget, I would actually not change the combat system significantly, and instead, focus on improved player visual feedback, where the hit success rates are mostly determined by "dice-rolls", but the animations actually better reflect the outcomes, so that you see yourself and your enemies actually dodging hits when the attack roll fails, rather than your swing just not doing anything.

If I had additional resources to spend, I would try and fix the "directional attacks" aspect of it, reintroduce it in a less broken fashion, so that the player is forced to chose an attack type - as it was intended, but not really functional, in the original Morrowind.

I would probably also add active block, parry and dodge moves which the player can use to avoid telegraphed charged attacks (which would be much more difficult to dodge on auto-dodge), though whenever they are successful or not would still be dependent largely on rolls. In the process, I would slow the combat down a bit in general, giving the player more time to think ahead his next move, and make it more lethal.

If I had the options to experiment more, I would probably try to model a system that allows for more tactical options, like targeting individual parts of enemy body, and having active directional parry/block, and probably ultimately skew the whole thing more in the direction of Kingdom Come or Warband's combat.

But really, on the most basic level, I would change the presentation of Morrowind's combat, rather than dramatically change the combat model (E.g. NOT do what Oblivion and Skyrim did) itself.

It's absolutely hillarious to realize how much of a shitty carricature of itself has this board become.

SCROLL
OF
ICARIAN
FLIGHT

What is The Witcher 3?

>Fast-paced yet tactical combat requiring an intricate knowledge about beasts, potions and your tools
>Highly diverse options available due to the presence of Weaponry, Alchemy and Magic schools which you can combine according to your will

What is TES III Morrowind?

>[Dice-rolling intensifies]

Unless you are over 35, you are a millenial.

Shit idea. Mount and blade combat wouldn't work and it isn't even that good. Dark souls is pretty good combat wise but that won't work in an elder scrolls game.

Demon's souls.

ever tried watching Gandahar? It's basically morrowind during the oblivion crisis.

Thank you for reminding me, serjo. I must take a detour, for I left them stashed in the Lucky Lockup.

Not necessarily that combat. I just mean combat based more on timing and dodging.

We can all agree that the leveling in morrowind is shot though right? Bethesda has never done that well as far as i know

>You'll never see a Silt Strider with a tarp to protect its passengers from the rain as it fairies people.
True pain.

I see what you mean. In that case I agree with you friend. My apologies for calling your idea shit.

Daggerfall had a pretty fucking huge town(s).

What went wrong?

I'd keep the dice rolls, but make it more heavily based on enemy evasion stats. The way Morrowind works is that enemies evade based on Agility and Luck, while you attack based on Agility, Luck, and Weapon Skill. Fatigue affects everything and there's magic effects that can modify it offensively or defensively, but the core mechanic is defined entirely by those three stats.

The problem I have is that the difference between enemies is too subtle. There's no defensive counterpart to Weapon Skill, and the defender's Agility has a narrow range since it won't be any lower than 40. My first change would be to have a much wider range of default Agility across all enemy types, and change the defensive power of Agility to follow an exponential curve that starts out tiny but can eventually negate the offensive power of equal Weapon Skill. Offensive power of Agility would remain small in comparison to Weapon Skill as it already is. A defender with low Agility will be hit by almost every attack, even from a novice with 5 Long Blade. As the defender's Agility increases, increasingly high Weapon Skill is needed to reliably hit them.

The ultimate goal of this adjustment is that a completely exhausted retard could easily crack a mudcrab's shell with a giant hammer like you'd expect, but that same retard will realistically miss nearly every single attack against a trained guard or spry Cliff Racer, unlike Morrowind's system where the retard will miss all of those enemies frequently until 40+ weapon skill when they start hitting all of those enemies frequently. Ideally a maxed out combat-oriented player vs. the most powerful enemy in the game would have about a 50% hit chance and a 50% chance to be hit. Potions and enchantments would be required to go higher than that against a maxed out defender.

Dodge animations would be a nice bonus but I have my doubts as to how not-silly you could get them to look, especially if you include fast-attacking daggers like in Morrowind.

>intricate knowledge about beasts
>intricate knowledge

>alt then left click
>q once in a while
>don't even need bombs
>intricate knowledge

Death march here. Stop with that intricate knowledge shit. Anything you can glean from telegraphs or attack patterns doesn't deserve to be called "intricate".

Mostly handcrafting, but the increased memory footprint by making every single building enterable and filled with interactive objects and making NPCs actually exist as characters in the game with stats, inventories, AI, dispositions, etc. didn't help city size either.

>He doesn't read up on the individual strength and weaknesses of beasts from the Monstrum lore of The Witchers

Kill thy self peasant.

>Daggerfall had a pretty fucking huge town(s).
Daggerfal used procedural generation to create majority of it's world. It's not handcrafted.

Somewhat ironic that in these days, after No Man's Sky and the proceduraly generated rouge-like fatigue, anyone would praise Daggerfall's way of doing things, though.

Very good suggestions.

Here is a follow up for everyone, how would you handle NPC's?

In Morrowind all NPC's are silent unless greeting the player when he stands near them. Do you like this?

Oblivion was atrocious when they interacted with each other
youtube.com/watch?v=2lMiu4j9xvQ

How would you handle it differently? Are you okey with NPC that don't talk with each other? I personally like it.

Again that is largely a matter of the available budget. In GENERAL, the two things I would like to see is more dynamic time-related NPC behavior (daily routines, shops closing, city gates closing etc...) and presence of generic NPC to increase the mob thickness. As for random conversations: I think the way Witcher does it not bad, not going overboard with it but having some basic character acknowledgements.

Generally speaking, NPC's having dialogues or interactions with each other is a low-priority feature for me. Again, population count and basic daily routines are more important for immersion. The stupidity of Oblivion was that it drew attention to those conversations but nobody in Bethesda knows how to write spoken dialogue to begin with. It should be background noise at best, not the whole fucking game basically stopping in it's tracks playing a little amateur theatre sketch for you.

To be fair, there's a lot more going on in Daggerfall than in No Man's Sky. The world served the gameplay well. It's not an exploration-heavy RPG like the newer TES games. Cities are basically a collection of service buildings and depending on what factions you've joined and who you're doing quests for at the moment your ideal city might be different from mine. If you were to make a big adventurer simulator like Daggerfall was trying to be, where several literal in-game years are expected to pass over the course of a playthrough, quests have time limits, and certain features are tied to certain days of the year, then a gigantic procedurally generated world is perfectly fine.

No Man's Sky billed itself as a game where you explore the universe, and ended up just as shitty as Daggerfall would have been if all you did in Daggerfall was walk around in the copypasted cities and make up names for every building you saw.

>the two things I would like to see is more dynamic time-related NPC behavior (daily routines, shops closing, city gates closing etc...)

I agree with this one, more content regarding this, would make it extremely fun to spy on someones daily business, then rob their house while they are away, altough you could already do that.

Also break it into 2 different patterns, one weekend type of schedule, drinking booze etc

>Also break it into 2 different patterns, one weekend type of schedule, drinking booze etc
Weekend is not as universal idea as we tend to think about it, so I could do without it. What I would REALLY want to see one day is however a festival cycle in general: Monthly and yearly festivals that for a few days change the whole dynamics of the city.
Which actually feeds into something I was always desperately crave in RPG's (some oldschool RPG's like Daggerfal or Might and Magic games did this): bigger emphasis on time-cycles in general. Seasons that change the behavior of NPC's as well as the type of problems you have to face, festivities, magic tied to lunar cycles, etc...

Yes I have the same thoughts. To simplify look at Terraria, but implement it into an RPG.

Every 90 ingame days, it's halloween festival, rare quests and new items for sale, maybe a boss with unique drop, or ingame religious date + lore.

Modern games are not comfy anymore, games with older graphics are more comfy for some reason. Realism is gay

Moebius + Miyazaki's Naushicaa = god-like art direction.

I'd like to see it more elaborate and not reliant on our real-world festivities and sensibilities.

Not actionny edgy garbage which outs it miles aboce the Shitter 3, factually the only good witcher si the first one now fuck off.

Agreed.

In TW3 the interior felt so comfy, but i think it was mostly due to the camera switching from a wide angle to a more narrow one.

To me there is 4 factor to comfyness in a game :
-The feeling of respite and safety, best example is the friendly npc camp in Stalker.
-Performing simple but important tasks which grant direct progress. The stuff you do in a game like Stardew valley or Banished.
-General graphism and design. Might be linked to the first point in a way that they will help with the feeling of respite/safety.
-Lore, I fucking love world building. It really help you construct the mental image of what's happening anywhere that is not on the screen which help a lot with immersion. No comfyness without immersion.

Personalty the most comfy i got was playing Skryim full realism with frostfall and basics needs and other mods. Just exploring, surviving and building house but not doing any quests because they suck. Basically the only fun i had in skyrim.