The substructure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components...

The substructure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons, and behind electrons quarks. Each layer unraveled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries.

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Fruit"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo
youtube.com/watch?v=Lva8L-J8x04
youtube.com/watch?v=Wmjn_vrShmU
youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0
youtube.com/watch?v=GBVCi0PmW24
youtube.com/watch?v=vB46XpnwhrA
youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ZcdO5fe8
youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xh7xIabk
civgaming.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7392
kongregate.com/games/chiefwakamakamu/socrates-jones-pro-philosopher
youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNTFWyP3Us&index=35&list=PLBBA4EA8EABF39223
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In my youthful autism, I don't think I ever played AC as any other faction, not until I reinstalled the game years later.

In my youth I thought Prokhor was a woman.
Not sure how I managed that.

>tfw beyond earth i.e. 'the spiritual successor to alpha centauri' was complete garbage

>Didn't fall for it

I never understood the implications of the phrase "nerve stapling" until replaying the game as a teenager

QUICK Cred Forums

CYBERNETIC CONSCIOUSNESS OR DATA ANGELS

>behind electrons we find quarks

Retard

>Cute cyborg waifs
vs
>Cred Forums somehow
Gee.
How about a tough one, like Drones vs Hive?

Hive
youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo

>He's not gonna clang his irons and gun the flogger down
YOU'LL YET REGRET

>not freeing himself for the good of humanity
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world.
Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity.
The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment.

this game was made in 1999 mr. 10th grade education

>Not slaving away until you can support your family, your neighbour and your and your neighbour's dog's family with an economy that outperforms Morgan and an army that outguns everyone else
Your ass is grass, Chairman.

I always thought Yang was a floating head. I thought the collar of his suit was some sort of contraption that his head was strapped into that would allow him to fly around.

Would sorta make the Clinical Immortality project redundant if he was already just a head.

the game already lasts like 100+ years and the leaders are all perfectly healthy throughout all of it, despite several of them clearly being 70-80 already

Don't they have life extending baths or some shit?
I faintly remember some story bit at some point.

I always play as the intelligent slavs. I CONSIDERED the money blackman once and almost the mercanary chick. But Science Slav is greatest.

It's an acceptable game but yea:
I totally fell for it being Alpha Centauri. I swear that's how they advertised it too.

It's okay overall but still did too much wrong.

What's with the 90s and pseudohorror? I swear this is "I have no mouth but I must scream" Tier.

They regularly undergo gene therapy, yeah.
Hell, the oldest leader (Zakharov) was born in 1994.
In two years you could prevent Sven from being born and fucking up Planet's oceans.
Sucks to hear.
Maybe one day we'll get SMAC2.
One day.
>He thinks that's bad
youtube.com/watch?v=Lva8L-J8x04
youtube.com/watch?v=Wmjn_vrShmU
youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0
youtube.com/watch?v=GBVCi0PmW24
youtube.com/watch?v=vB46XpnwhrA
With the internet and Y2K looming there was a sort of resurgence of "has science gone too far", though that was also trailing on from earlier Cold War fears and the like.
Honestly, SMAC does it all perfectly.
I won't even get into Punishment Spheres or Nerve Stapling.

Glad to see you included the I Must Dissent

Surprised how deep the story and characters were. I'm surprised we haven't gotten a RTS on that level since.

Apparently Starcraft 2 is similar but I've never played.

>SMAC
>RTS
>Starcraft 2
One of these things

>starcraft 2
HAH

None of the leaders in this game were appealing. If this is the nu-male's devs vision of the future then that shit is a nightmare.

The thought of immortal leaders terrify me for some reason.

What is nerve stapling exactly? I've seen people post many different explanations of it. I'm convinced it's some kind of modern lobotomy. Both the post-game book and the -50% tech from the punishment sphere seem to support this.

Yea, I'm tired.

I assumed it was lobotomy too or some sort of repression. Damaging upper cognitive thoughts and processes.

>Muh guns
>Muh trees
>Muh shekels
>Muh science
>Muh faith
>Muh UN
>Muh communism
>Muh worms
>Muh oceans
>Muh memes
>Muh freedoms
I'm not sure how you fell through the cracks here, there's something for everyone.
>Immortal Yang
>Immortal Santiago
>Immortal Morgan
>IMMORTAL YANG
What a nightmare.
They never specify, I believe, but it pacifies drones and is counted as an atrocity on the level of using nerve gas weapons.

youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ZcdO5fe8

>Muh guns
Who?
>Muh freedoms
who?
>Muh memes
Who?

Are you adding all the non canon shit from the other non expansions?

>She pretty much backflips on this later
>Potentially sends countless followers through portals that'll detach their souls
Santiago, Spartan Federation
Domai, Free Drones
Roze, Data Angels
>Expansions
>Plural
Uh.

Alpha Centauri is probably the most quotable game of all time. Every line is gold.

>The phenomenon of man is unique. After a billion years, blind evolution has brought forth the first animal capable of rational inquiry. In us, the universe has finally developed the ability to look back upon itself and transcend the limits of randomness. From this point onward, the fate of the universe will not be a matter of chance, but of conscious choice.

So? Is that supposed to excuse the outright stupidity? Quarks were a thing long before this shit was made.

>Drones
>freedom

every single one of those choices were terrible. Just because they were supposed to represent something doesn't mean they represented them well.

I disagree for the base game factions, but yeah, Alien Crossfire really missed the mark even before getting into the alien factions. Drones are technically freedom because they're anti-Yang, but mechanically they're broken like almost every other AC faction so they can do anything.
Would've been much better if they worked as little computer-controlled factions branching off the larger ones, since that's basically what they are in the lore.
I honestly have no clue why anyone thought a faction based on fucking Cred Forums was a good idea.

>I honestly have no clue why anyone thought a faction based on fucking Cred Forums was a good idea.
Alien Crossfire predates Cred Forums by about 3-4 years.

It's a lobotomy-like procedure that permamently removes ability to use high-order thinking or critical thinking, without making you "useless" for industry. In short - it turn you into a mindless drone in the most literal way, killing sizable chunk of your personality in the process.
Hence why it's considered attrocity

When has that stopped anything.

is Beyond Earth okay to decent yet

Never
Ever

user, it was 2YK and hackers were THE coolest thing around. You should rather appriciate Data Angels weren't in the vanilla game than being surprised it was put in expansion pack.
From all SMAX factions, only Drones and MAYBE Consciouness were well-planned lore-wise. The basic concept of scary aliens with their own agenda about the Planet was also good. Everything else went to shit, but I still play SMAX just because it fixes few really, really bad bugs in vanilla game (like the Children Creche one) and comes with really good secret projects, while also improving Hunter-Seeker Algorithm

No.

Alien was the least offensive as far as writing goes. The original SMAC is just plain shit. Drones are commies so not freedom.

Of course the writing is going to be popular on the incel, vitamin D deficient internet. But that shit doesn't fly where it still matters.

Want to know how BE compares to SMAC?
Like vanilla Civ 5 to Civ 4: Caveman2Cosmos

And it has absolutely ZERO lore whatsoever, so the thing that actually made SMAC so good over the years is not present, while gameplay mechanics are so fucking dumbed down it makes Civ 1 of all games look breath-taking complex

>Drones are commies so not freedom
>But that shit doesn't fly where it still matter

youtube.com/watch?v=YO_xh7xIabk
best video

>I think "communism" is equal with "oppressive police state with corrupt dictatorship" and there are no other options
Yes, because social democracies aren't a thing at all...
Cold War is over, Bill. Time to finally grasp that.

>E for everyone
heh
what rating would AC get if it was released today?

>facepalm

I'm not a fan of the aliens to be honest, I feel it detracts from what's ultimately a game about the highs and lows humanity and its ideals and will to survive.
I mean sure, you can always play without using them but, that's still 2 spaces where better factions could've been, although considering shit like the Angels and the Pirates maybe aliens were the best they could do.
And yeah, can't deny the gameplay improvements overall, no complaints there.
>But that shit doesn't fly where it still matters.
What the absolute fuck are you on about.

>communism
>freedom
If there are laws regulating your economic activity then you aren't free, Sven. I'll have you remember that when you stand at our doorstep requesting asylum in a few years.

>Not Weather Paradigm
Close but no cigars.

I still remember how fucking powerful it was back in '01, when I've played it for the first time. Picked Gaians, because they just sounded interesting and outside the normal calculus for such games. Started building Weather Paradigm from first turn, then suddenly cutscene rolled... I was getting my jaw from floor a minute later.

And the best part is how they've just cut and edited Baraka, a pre-existing film, to get most of the cutscenes done. I wish there was some mod or HD re-release, where they use high-res cutscenes, since the source material is accessable in HD for years now.

>The only freedom possible is complete anarchy and deregulation of everything
That explains why burgers are so retarded

more rapefugees are needed in first world countries.

Not even SMAX fix the infamous eco-damage bug. The work-around for that shit is just tedious.

physicists barely fucking know what an elementary particle is today

do you think the large hadron collider was brought online in 1995

fucking pseudointellectual retard

>eco-damage bug
Huh?
Wasn't it adressed in GOG release?

So there's no freedom anywhere in the world?

>freedom means you aren't free
>2+2=5

I fucking hate leftist logic.

Nope, GOG release fixed Children Creche bug in SMAC without having to install SMAX, but that's all. The eco-damage one is still there, and the buildings reducing it still aren't working, unless you follow the anti-bug procedure

By your "logic", nobody is free ever, never, nowhere, so I'm not sure what are you even trying to achieve here, Cred Forums

>the Pirates
the water was pretty limited and they added a lot of buildings and upgrades in crossfire to make a water race logical.

SHUT THE FUCK UP TRUMPETTES
BACK TO YOUR Cred Forums AND REDDIT SAFE SPACES

Can someone please explain? What bug are you even talking about?

>they added a lot of buildings and upgrades in crossfire to make a water race logical
Which was actually good (the upgrades and buildings), because before that building water bases and shore bases was, as par traditional Civ mechanics, a waste of city and tedious search for perfect spot to have as little water as possible. With the upgrades, it could be "just" good spot, instead few perfect ones.

So what's actually wrong with beyond earth

In the original getting your base on a thermal bath with coral farms and punishment sphere can be a money machine

I hope this post was made sarcastically

The only use for "freedom" as a state of existence is to use in contrast to being "owned" through blackmail, debt or just sheer muscle and law enforcement against you.
Having a desire to do something but unable to because of resources like money, materials and expenses such as food is not a limit to your freedom, only to your opportunities which can eventually be resolved by work or relocating.

To live while being fully self-sufficient is not possible with excessively powerful technology and a closed personal ecosystem as long as we also reproduce freely. And if you want to reproduce but are forced not to (or even the opposite) you are "owned", being unable to is not although it will make it a lot harder to be self-sufficient.

Correct.

Unless you are able to literally sustain yourself entirely without interacting with a single other person (so you can produce your own food, water, shelter entertainment etc on your own) you are not ultimately free. You are still bound to society through your own inability to sustain yourself.

Unfortunately on maps that were even 50% water, Pirates could easily spend most of the game unchallenged and end up plaguing the entire Planet with their shit before you could get any sort of containment going.
Fucking Sven.

In a non degenerate society you're free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't impedes other people's freedom. It's a simple logic but it escapes the commie's mental capacities. I suspect due to undernourishment.

Yeah, a Euro's definition of freedom is to do what a bureaucrat tells you to do. Because living your life according to what someone else coerces you to do is freedom. 2+2=5 and all that post modern anti logic crap.
And that shit has been slowly leaking in the US of A for a century now. Call it social democrashit if you want but that's not freedom. Got that, stupid?

You can be free to make an agreement with little or no compromise with others with freedom.

You are required to jump through whatever hoops necessary to acquire services you need from an allocated person or group when you are not free. You may not even be allowed access to a particular service for arbitrary reasons. If this means whoring yourself out to an almost randomly assigned superior to win a lottery ticket for a commodity or service you won't have an alternative.

There's a correlation between level of sustainability and freedom but there's a significant difference between being co-operative and being subservient.

Eco-damage bug?
It's pretty straigh-forward. Unless you do things in very specific order, you are stuck with baseline amount of "clean minerals" and soon all your bases will pollute like crazy, regardless of your Planet rating, secret projects and base facilities. The bug is triggered by anyone building any of the "eco-friendly" buildings BEFORE first fungal bloom.

So to not trigger the bug, you need to first intentionally cause fungal bloom due to the eco-damage. This way the game will trigger a flag that activates the proper functions of your facilities. From now on, EACH Tree Farm, Hybrid Forest, Centauri Preserve and Temple of Planet will add +1 clean minerals FACTION-WIDE.
It can be easily turned into exploit, since you can SELL any of those buildings, without loosing the bonus they've provided (another bug). If played "as intended", each base grants you +4 clean minerals by late game. With about 15-20 bases (which is a norm by mid-game) that's enough clean minerals to have 4 boreholes and shitload of forests and mines in single base without any ill effects.
If treated as exploit, you can have bases that produce absurd amount of minerals without any ill effects whatsoever. My personal record was 122 minerals/turn in my "best" base. WITHOUT crawlers.

Here are details:
civgaming.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7392

So you are 'forced' to produce your own food, water, shelter and entertainment to truly call yourself free?

it's not alpha centauri 2

>Do what a bureaucrat tells you to do
>I'm moving to another country
>They literally can't do anything to stop you

Yeah, because that's not freedom.

You don't have to. You can be free in death.
Only problem is it is proper spooky as a concept.

it's not really his fault

these days children are brought with the intention of instilling all the skills and ideas needed to maintain the status quo of modern society

it takes a brave and foolish individual to strike out on their own and be completely self sufficient

>you're free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't impedes other people's freedom
So again, there's no freedom anywhere in the world?

he is correct, yes. that is the only way to avoid signing the social contract and accepting it's terms, a contract certainly signed under duress. being entirely self sustaining means not being beholden to the whims of a provider.

And just to hammer the point further - if AI builds Tree Farm before you and before you triggered fungal bloom, you are fucked.
Then, if YOU cause a fungal bloom before Tree Farm or any other eco-facility, the bug is still applying to AI. Which can make it troublesome by late game, as they will create enough eco-damage to fuck up the sea level.
I often intentionally open editor, create a situation where all AI factions will get bloom before turn 15 and then just remove all the effects and element to status quo, but now every faction is gaining free minerals per facilities, so I won't be suddenly fucked over by turn 150, when sea level suddenly increases or climate is drastically changed just because AI can't manage own bases.

Hey, Cred Forumstards
We are having a game thread here. Either talk about SMAC or get the fuck out to your containment board. Nobody gives a fuck about your edgy, anarchistic outlook on how freedom works. Talk vidya or don't talk at all.

But you become your own provider, thus limiting your own freedom to actually survive.

how the fuck can drones even riot?

The worst part is that if you actually manage to be self sustaining they'll just claim your shit out of the blues.

>Hurr this private property was never yours to begin with

You can never win with statists. Because they're disingenuous and clearly dedicated to evil. You fight fire by stomping it till it disappear.

If you've got bone to grind, you can snap like anyone else.

You mean drones or Free Drones?

>not playing Yang

>DRONE LIVES MATTER!

Drones are not mindless machines in SMAC, they are regular people/working class.

>talking about video games

What are you, a fucking manchild? Adults are talking, head back to

Well fuck me... and here I was, locked desperately around 40 minerals per base...

survival is not a right to be guaranteed. Freedom is entirely subjective; some people think it means a minimum income regardless of contribution to society; being able to exist without condition. of course if you take that to it's logical conclusion, why should I have to eat to live, doesn't that limit my freedom? the closest we can get to true freedom is not imposing any artificial limitations on the individual, and letting only those imposed by nature stand.

A tip to you and your gay atheistic liberal society.

Enjoy the fruits of your sinful ideals.

Pirates were just broken, by sheer virtue of having Dome in each base from the get-go. Dome provides automatic Recycler bonus, so Pirate can make THE most efficient base-crawl of them all. Combined with their bonuses to production from water squares you are pretty much screwed against them if they are human controlled OR you gain edge so massive from the start against AI it's not even funny anymore.

And that's without even exploiting the good old "melt polar caps" decision and polluting like mad to constantly increase the amount of water and drowning everyone or seriously fucking their economy

shut the fuck up ledditor

back to /r/the_donald

i have a theory on this

if birth rates are slowing down that means there will be less support for bureaucracy through taxes simply because they are as bloated as fuck all over the first world as is

by inviting more "guests" there is a chance some or most (preferably most for the purposes of the scheme) will stay and since they have little reason AGAINST procreation, they will increase the population and thus allow the bloated bureaucracy to be supported and expand even further again

so it's like wageslaves in shadowrun, just a derogatory term for the working class?

huh.. i thought they WERE mindless humans created solely for labor

i guess drone is just the term used in alpha centauri universe for worker or general laborer

Yes. Its the people managing the shitty jobs and ready to smash the state

I always play as Gaia.
I like to think my leader slowly goes insane as she goes from planting trees and terraforming the planet to spreading fungus, using abominations as military and nukes everyone with fungal payloads to heal the land.

>City crawling
It doesn't work really well after around 40 bases. And takes an ungodly amount of exploiting to make it work at all.
Still, somewhat easier to pull in SMAX, if you manage to get Cloudbase Academy and combine it with Planetary Transit. But then again, all strategies make those two the most useful secret projects, so...

No it is because uneducated workers is good for the overal economy and the upper class. The normal man gets fucked. So for the politicians and lobbys its a good move to let rapefugees in. They benefit from the increased income and they live in places rapefugees cant afford.

There are three "classes" in SMAC: Talents, Citizens and Drones. Talents don't work any fields and held all the special jobs you unlock with techs. Citizens are your normal, run-the-mill workers. Drones are people that do the worst jobs and that's becoming the issue only after they start to get pissed about it.

how the fuck you gonna make money offa people if there arent reproducing in droves?

Can you finally get the fuck out of this board and stay on Cred Forums or whatever other dark place you crawled from?

Depends, if you want to suck them dry you get the rapefugees. If you care about them you dont get the rapefugees

>The only way to make money is to farm taxes from massive population
>I slept over past 300 years of societal development

Sid Meier is truly a visionary
>I slept over past 300 years of societal development
t. the majority of western leaders

im guessing youre using india as your empirical basis?

>Alpha Centauri
>Sid Meier
Pick one. Because he's literally only in the title. This is Bryan Reynold's game, but it wouldn't pitch so well with marketing as Brayan Reynold's Alpha Centauri, after Sid was already established as home-name almost a decade before SMAC premiere

they strap your body down to a chair and find where your nerves are and literally staple them. It's obviously extremely painful, but you're a big guy

>Building punishment sphere
>Ever
What are you? This is literally one of the most useless facilities in the game. It makes Merchant Exchange look positively good by comparison.

>literally only in the title
Bryan, just stop posting, it's embarrassing.
Yes I'm aware the alternate leader for Firaxians is Bryan.

Epic xD

You forgot to mention the biggest fuck-up with minerals in the game.
Minerals provided by satelites don't count to the limit, but if you have any facility that provided bonus to number of minerals, bonus achieved from satelites will count

>wasting energy on psi
>not wanting to make drones shit their pants
Its like you actually minmax this game

Not him, but it really is Reynold's game. Sid was busy working on Civ 3 back then and just checked SMAC for general development and gameplay ideas.

>Doing counter-productive moves
>In turn-based 4X game
Or alternatively
>Not being benovelent leader of your faction
The game gives you a simple choice: treat your people well for big profit that keeps accumulating or treat your people like shit for quick profit. It depends how long you are planning to play. And how bad you want to be for your own faction.

>Wasting energy on psi
If you aren't brain-dead, you can easily have bases that hit 20 pop without any ill effect and then just use the remaining pop as Talents
Also, using energy on psi here and there will cause celebration effects and provide you with pop-boom, so stay salty when someone gets pop limit by turn 50 due to micro-management

"Ahhhhhhhhh ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhh"

Now I'm sad that large companies will never, ever make games this good again. Fuck corporate AAA focus-grouped proven-concept blandware.

The biggest joke about this related with SMAC is how BE was designed as focus-grouped game for everyone... and SMAC players constitute for way over 3/4 of player base, while everyone else forgot the game even existed.
So instead of SMAC 2 or SMAC: Remake, we have bland-as-fuck game that was just made to look similar to SMAC and proper sequel/remake will never be done.

But look on the bright side - after years of legal combat, they've managed to remake Cossacks and release the first game with modern engine. Maybe someday someone will make SMAC remake or just mod it to be more modern in looks and interface.

Yup, corporate is the antonym of creative

Name me one other game that quotes Immanuel Kant in a meaningful and completely befitting way? And no, not the categorical imperative.

>Cossacks
I'm still waiting for American Conquest remake. Cossacks were always inferior, and since the remake doesn't make any use of AC material, it's just painful to wait another 3-5 years for American Conquest remake.

kongregate.com/games/chiefwakamakamu/socrates-jones-pro-philosopher

it HAS emanuel kant

is it playable on win10?

If you have GOG re-release, then yes.

>Game starts of with John Stuart Mill
>muh freedom

Anglo-Saxon analytical shit pile.

what, from what I remember after the tutorial it starts with some greek dude. Not socrates, some other dude.

>It's filled to the brim with liberal and neo-liberal philosophers or at least neo-liberal re-evaluation of classics
>MUH FREEDOM all over the place

>implying rule utilitarianism not based
>implying all ethical theories aren't consequentialist with extra steps

silly user

>muh freedom

Uh, yeah, forget that part though.

>2016
>Treating any of the Mills seriously
You just went full retard

>I hate freedoms
Freedom is like the opposite of apathy. every good philosopher likes it.

I'd like to see you justify an ethical conclusion without ultimately relying on consequentialism.

Every good philosopher doesn't bother with such insignificant shit.
Unless they are Anglo-Saxon.
Or retarded

Try any system that doesn't provide you with imaginatory, 100% objective and 200% obligatory agent that is so detatched from reality it renders entire consequentialism a case of pic related

>beyond earth is never gonna get the second expansion that will make it good.

I don't claim that consequentialist calculations in the real world are possible for humans. But difficulty of calculation is no reason to assume a theory is misguided. The quantum field theory of interacting fields can only be solved approximately, but is still the most accurate description we have of the way the universe works.

>Comparing quantum physics with flawed ethical calculus invented by extremely biased philosopher
Nigga, you can't be serious

The ultimate question is. what is the goal in life. No freedoms means people cannot find out, the ultimate anti-philosophy

You know, I realized a flaw with alpha centauri
You couldn't do an ending where you just outright murder or at least, lobotimize Planet. Transcendence is too soft.

Nothing can make that game good

>The ultimate question is. what is the goal in life
Only if that's the angle you apply to your philosophy.
Don't want to break that for you, but there are other schools that those rooted in Greeks. And there are other questions than existentionalism.
It's like you spent past 150 or so years under the ice and didn't even notice.

>blast planet with all the knowledge of mankind in a lastditch effort to kill it
>think I just killed a fucking god
>instead it later speaks again telling me to become one
fuck. This is not how mankind works. We rape, we pillage, we burn down.

>modern "philosophy"
Glad I stayed under the ice

>You couldn't do an ending where you just outright murder
This is the ending you get after conquering everyone. It's heavily implied you are now gearing to kill the planet for good. It's not that hard, really - all it takes is destroying shitload of fungus. Given the militaristic path, surely there are few bioweapons in the arsenal and people skilled into tailoring one for the fungus

It's just like one of my japanese animes
You raped Planet but it loved Mankinds dick and wanted more

fucking white males

>Modern
Nice way to show you are uneducated twat that still thinks the only philosophy ever created was the Greek one. Or how it's only philosophy if you blindly follow steps of Greeks.

Dunno, do you even into Indian schools? Or Chinese ones? Or at least fucking Schopenhauer and Nietzsche, memes aside?

fuck you i rape and pillage a lot more than any white man

Nice to know you are first year Philosophy student.
Come back after third year, when you will be most likely Marxist anti-existentialist

Mill didn't invent consequentialism, but he did make several interesting innovations including the concept of rule versus act utilitarianism. Bentham, for example, preceded Mill. I don't take utilitarianism seriously, but I think there is a lot to be said for the consequentialist framework underlying it apart from the concept of utility.

The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil.

- Sister Miriam Godwinson, "The Blessed Struggle"

>Questioning modern philosophy as subpar
>Schools in question are two centuries old
>Entire schools over millenias completely avoided the retarded "what's the purpose of life" bullshit
>Unaware of any of that
Anglo-Saxon, aren't you?

>nietzsche
yeah I know about Apollonian and dionysian, slave moral and the death of god and how to go from nihilism that is a result of the death of god to superman

>studying philosophy
mfw

And here I was, glad we still didn't have any Miriam bullshit...

>Not studying Philosophy
>Talking shit about it anyway
Get the fuck out

>Entire schools over millenias completely avoided the retarded "what's the purpose of life" bullshit

But even "anglo-saxon" philosophers no longer focus on that question. They've already successfully answered it after the discovery of tenure.

>you have to eat shit to dismiss it

>assumption

>But even anglo-saxon "philosophers"
Here, FTFY

>Being layman
>Trying to have meaningful voice or opinion

And that's why you've spent your life eating nothing but chicken tendies.

Miriam is the only sane leader.

Seriously where are they?

Not 'they' but 'it'

>implying life experience isnt a better teacher than just dusty old tome from some misguided faggot thats completely bonkers because of STDs

>Alpha Centauri thread
>nobody ever mentions the most logically sound leader

>expansion leaders
>good

>Life experience
>Philosophy
I guess you've watched Good Will Hunting few times too many
Or alternatively - you are American slob that can't afford education, thus dismissing anyone with access to it

Not him, but Aki and Domai are on tier with original seven

Reading philosophy is valuable because it teaches you how to make your own arguments.

It is not, however, a career.

Once you have the building blocks of philosophy the rest of it becomes so much wank. Kant's writings are nothing more than his opinion, and if you can state your own opinion as compellingly then yours is literally as valuable (rather: as worthless) as his.

Ivory tower intellectuals lose sight of this, and think that a liftime spent retreading the same arguments that the Ancient Greeks were having literally millenia ago is anywhere near as valuable as the work a car mechanic does in a single day.

Philosophy is a hobby.

What a perfect example of a post from a cultureless society that measures its success by number of cheeseburgers produced.

Can you eat culture?

Once you've produced enough food to make everyone weigh 400 pounds even after throwing half of it away, you should probably move on to other aspects of being a civilization.

Like producing enough food to feed an entire planet of literally starving people?

Nah, you'd rather sit in sandstone universities and talk about whether or not that's the right thing to do for a few fucking milennia first.

>Like producing enough food to feed an entire planet of literally starving people?

We already produce something like 2,200 - 2,400 cal/person-day. Fucking move on from your obsession with economic production as the purpose of life.

>We already produce something like 2,200 - 2,400 cal/person-day.
Yeah, problem clearly fucking solved then. No distribution or logistics issues remain at all, and we can see this because there's no starving people.

Oh wait...

I'm fine if you want to waste time doing stupid bullshit when there's time to waste, but you fucking around with a bullshit career that goes nowhere and produces nothing is a theft from everyone who is hungry and not fed or cold and not clothed.

Good thing for you that you'll be able to generate a 70,000 word essay explaining why it's totally justifiable that you can sit on your arse and do fuckall while people suffer, and how you're totally not a bad person because of it. That's about all you're capable of doing anything. But don't ever forget that for all your ducking and dodging there are still people out there who live in misery and agony and you have never once in your life, and never will, do anything concrete to address that.

Why?

Because you're an unproductive piece of shit who doesn't understand anything beyond the university cloisters.

Gas the elites, class war now.

>fancies himself a philosopher
>has to use ur an american as argument
Even rhetoric is a more useful study than philosophy, there at least you know how to express yourself.

Bernout, please go and stay gone.

E, because ratings are based on depiction and not interpretation or themes

lol what a fag

>Alpha Centauri 2
>Not Beta Centauri

Are we discussing video games?

Isn't "(adjective) themes" literally one of the rating indicators?

They show a video of it a couple of times:

One is during the secret project where Yang says "Pain is merely information, become the master of the input and you become the master of the output"; the other is when a faction leader is captured.

Basically, they wire your entire body and your brain with electrodes, then they put a special helmet on you with a video-screen and speakers. They run a Ludovico on you, showing you things they want you to fear or hate, while delivering intense pain directly to your nerves.

This is basically a traumatic experience that leaves most people catatonic, or a total psychological mess; but it's effective in getting them to step in line and stop rioting or striking.

Suggesting themes are usually war, violence and such stuff, not really philosophic stuff like SMAC

Freshwater Sea is the best character.

Isnt the faction leader getting captured just them trapped in an electric cage getting zapped. I imagined nerve stapling more like a stapling machine put to the neck to blast their brains.

Good news for my text-based rape simulator

Captured faction leaders get lodged into a machine, torturing them for the rest of the game.

Oh, so it's like futuristic television.

doesnt sound like nerve staples, just your regular old torture

>best video

youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNTFWyP3Us&index=35&list=PLBBA4EA8EABF39223
Bro, do you even Transcend? Oh, you did... Well then.

Most of this shit is fucking thesis level dissertation, how the fuck did they come up with it for a goddamn vidjyergaem?

"Mary had a little lamb,

Little lamb little lamb,
Mary had a little lamb,
whose fleece was white as snow."

Final Transmission

It has already been done before.

I don't mean making the philosophy itself, but discovering and tying concepts, lore and game mechanics together with it, let alone the research necessary to even find something meaningful and use it.
It blows my mind.

It's amazing what you can do when 99.9% of your development team isn't devoted to muh graphics

>Gas the elites, class war now
agree

Fundamental particles are well explained within current theory. Quarks have been an established concept since 1968. You don't even understand what the purpose of the lhc is.
So yeah, you are a fucking retard arent you. Maybe look it up before you try and argue this shit with a qualified physicist.

Communists are pretty agreeable when they talk about killing the capitalists, but they always seem to go after the intellectuals too.

Oh wait

> elementary
> 10th grade

Fucking Americans lmao.

I always thought that the original quote was referencing the historical order in which these components were discovered, not that it was implying that electrons were made of quarks.

GAS
THE
ELITES
PROLETARIAT/SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTION NOW

>big stuff is made of small stuff
wow

That is *funny*. You think you *see* Orz but Orz are not *light reflections*. Maybe you think Orz are *many bubbles* too, It is such a joke.
Orz are not *many bubbles* like *campers*. Orz are just Orz.
I am Orz. I am one with many *fingers*. My *fingers* reach through into *heavy space* and you see *Orz bubbles* but it is only *fingers*. Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad. *Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

Honestly user I don't even know this game, I was bored in a lecture and saw the quote on the front page and went for it. That would be totally acceptable and you're more than likely right on the money.

Was worth it all to see that other user embarrass themselves. Muh lhc haha

user play SMAC, come on man

I'll give it a go. I do have some time to kill and most new releases are dogshit.

Get it on GOG, it's fucking great. Don't be put off by the interface - you'll get used to it. It's a real classic.

>Implying
Big stuff is made of waves and fields

no u