Resident evil

I've never played much of the RE series but I'm looking to get into it so I was wondering where a good place to start is and if any releases are terrible and should be ignored?

If story isn't important I was thinking of starting with 4 as it seems to be the oldest modern title which gets a pretty great reception everywhere and doesn't seem like it will too dated to fully enjoy. Then go back and play the older titles or HD remakes when they come out.

What say you Cred Forums?

Just play them in order you HughMungus faggot

Start with REmake. It's the perfect entry point.

Just play 4 and maybe 5 if you got a friend to co-op with. The others fucking suck.

Pls be b8

If you want the original experience, play the first 3 in order
Resident Evil 4 should be played anyway regardless if you play the others though

Play the GameCube, PS2, or Wii version of RE4. The newest versions have fucked controls. I'm not sure how the PS3/Xbox 360 versions are. Hopefully better.

I've played all resident evils and 4 is my favorite. You should start with 4, it's a great standalone game

Its a mixed bag you're asking

RE1, 2, 3, veronica, outbreak
Are all classic survival horror resident evil games

RE4, 5, 6, Revelations
Are third person action survival resident evil games

Keep in mind that all the main entries before RE4 have a different play style than RE4. They're about atmosphere and actual survival. RE4 is a lot more action, but still very deliberately paced and has some spooky moments. You can knife regenerators to death.

4 may be the most accessible, so you may want to try that and see if it gives you the itch to get into the more traditional RE games. However, the remake of the first on the ps3 is highly praised by my friends, so if you want to go traditional first, play that one.

I found it impossible to get into the RE series even though the story/puzzles etc. look great, because the controls are worse than any other game I've played in my life.

Hopefully 7 will be good because it's fps

If you're looking at the new action ones, 4 is by far the best one, so play that one. The rest range from alright to pretty shitty.

If you want to play the older ones, definitely start with REmake. They recently re-released it onto PC and current gen consoles.

Oh yeah, and play the gc/wii version of 4 if you can. Component cables make it look as good as the hd remakes. I forget what problems I had with the PS3 and 360 remakes, but there was something...

Play in this order.
Resident Evil: DC>RE2>RE3>CVX>REmake>RE4>RE5>Revelations 1>RE6>Revelations 2
They only game not worth playing is 0 unless you find yourself loving the older game A LOT because its just bad on every level and its not like any of the games mentions its existence either.

>recommending RE4 first
If he plays RE4 first he's going to hate the older games. At least if he starts with REmake or RE2 he'll have a chance to appreciate them.

I WANT TO CORRUPT HIM

Classic Resident Evil takes gatting used to if you're not used to the time when games were still figuring out control schemes, but it DOES work rather well once you get used to it. But you have to get used to it, first.

Doesn't REmake have a new control scheme or will that make me a casual?

ReREmake has that, you can switch between both

it does which makes it feel way better to play

the only problem is the game wasn't balanced for controls that didn't suck ass, so it actually makes the game a lot easier. just play whatever control scheme

/thread

This is the order that you should play them in. Maybe replace RE:DC with REmake.
I think you should give RE0 a try though if you want more classic RE action but most people hate it because of the 2 character gimmick. Personally, I don't mind it although it can get annoying sometimes.

Don't listen to this shitposting faggot.

How did they exactly change the controls in REmake HD? I thought it was just a port of the GC version.

REmake => 2 => 4

Don't bother with the rest, it's shit.

you can pick between the traditional tank controls, or just regular controls where your character will just move in the direction you move the stick without having to turn around and orientate yourself

>The newest versions have fucked controls
Nigga what the hell are you smoking?

I just want Resident Evil to be set in Racoon City and have HUNK be the main character. Place it before the events of RE3 and with HUNK you can combine the survival horror parts of the first three games with the more action oriented ones from the everything afterwards. HUNK's also not as played out as a character while at the same time established enough.

Ignore this. Start with 1

The original in my opinion far trumps the remake (the remake being easier puzzle wise and not as atmospheric) besides if you play remake before 1 then you won't appreciate the classics as much.

Play as much in order as you can. Zero, code Veronica and the outbreaks can be skipped as they're harder to come across. 1-3 then CV and zero, then 4.

Both the ps3 and ps4 versions play exactly the same as the ps2 version.

Also the ps4 HD remaster version is the best version available, the pc bring close behind (pc version is a port of the ps3 version)

Damn, I can't imagine classic RE without tank controls. It must feel really awkward.

I started with RE3, then RE4, then RE2, and then the rest in an order I don't remember except RE1 because I don't like it.
OP, just start from the beginning and give all of them a try and play the ones you like the feel of.

Re4 doesn't feel modern because of the clunky controls so don't expect that