Is this officially the greatest RPG of all time

is this officially the greatest RPG of all time

yes

That's not Neverwinter Nights II or Mask of the Betrayer.

check out icewind dale next

In my opinion: yes
there never was a RPG a single aspect of this game
maybe Planescape in regards of story and themes

It's definitely up there. It's one of my favourite games of all time, but it does have its flaws - like how much more geared towards doing Good playthroughs the game is

MotB I'll give you, but vanilla NWN2 doesn't even come close, m8

If we have to pick one, I guess.

Somebody could make a case for one of the Ultimas, but that person isn't me.

Icewind Dale 1 is so good if you just want a classic adventure. Baldur's Gate 2 is amazing and has you going through all these wonderful locations and meeting these gods and demons and everything in between, but there's something just really satisfying about playing Icewind Dale and hacking and slashing your way through all the crypts and caves. Just a really solid adventure. Temple of Elemental Evil is the same

Can't even count the amount of times I've played this game

I get bored on run throughs now, generally the farthest I get is the asylum, which sucks because the underdark is imo the best part

>cheat on viconia with phaere
>fuck her over later

I'm the same, played it way too much. At this point now it's usually after doing Trademeet/Umar Hills that I start to drop off. I can still do all the Athkatla shit and enjoy it, though
I never tried Darkest Day, maybe that'd give the game some new life for me

while i love both of them, i prefer Baldur's gate 1 as a low power adventurer

yeah why not

It's not even just playing it 50+ times, it's playing it and redoing every possible encounter every possible way every time

The only thing I never did was play with Imoen in my party, I tried but I hate her too much

should I get bg2 on gog or steam?

Yeah

Ultima VII is better

eh, sure.

>Cheat on Viconia with Pharae

More like, cheat on Viconia, Jaheria and Aerie with Pharae imo.

So what's with the MotB love? All I remember about the game is having to pause during conversations to stop the fucking spirit hunger.

>like how much more geared towards doing Good playthroughs the game is
really? I think it's pretty open for any type of character

yeah.

I've been looking for some hi-res maps and screenshots to print out and frame, Slums specifically, but there really isn't much good material.

PST too, Hive has amazing architecture, but no media out there does it justice

My first open world RPG

The rewards are way better if you're playing good, and there's also way more Good party members. It's actually pretty hard imo to make a really good Evil party. Korgan and Edwin are great but beyond them, ehhh

I love how well these games have aged visually thanks to the prerendered backgrounds. IWD's are insanely good looking still

Wrong. Thats not Witcher 3.

>cheat on viconia with phaere
She doesn't care in the first place. In fact, she makes fun of you if you don't sleep with Phaere.

It's an interesting story but it shits on the lore. Kelemvor legit acts like an unholy fusion of Myrkul and Cyric because reasons.

Also not a fan of the whole Soul Eater mechanic. Later on you can get talents that minimise its impact but early on it's an issue. Especially if you're RPing a Good character who would have issues with "Souls? Om nom nom."

The recruitable NPCs, locations, and Shadow Plane stuff was really good though.

Enhanced Edition adds another two evil characters (three for BG2), and there's always the neutrals. Korgan and Dorn il-Khan are the two best fighters available, Viconia is the best cleric (and your other choices are Aerie and Anomen, yay) while Edwin's the best mage.

Personally I just use the Keeper save editor to jam a Helm of Alignment Reversal onto Viconia and form a party with Minsc, Keldorn, Imoen, and Aerie but an evil party shit stomps good ones.

>Playing BG1
>Having a lot of fun at first
>Slowly start to just get bored out of my mind
>Got to Baldur's Gate and it's been ages since I last played it
>tfw tempted to just skip to BG2

Hit the level cap, get all the tomes, then import to BG2.

Maybe get the Helm of Balduran for early game use and the Silver Pantaloons to build the BMU in Throne of Bhaal.

There's literally no reason to go through the rest of that pain.

Siege of Dragonspear is all right too. Just be aware that you need a +3 weapon to hit the final boss and there aren't many to go around.

Helm of Balduran is in Irenicus' dungeon anyway

it gave me feels I never felt before and was a reason I started to play DnD for at least one year.
perfect mix of comfy and fantastic

Updated my journal.

>playing at night
>use headphones
>enjoy ambience
>YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH!!!

It is if you start with a fresh game.

Not sure if it'll be there if you import a save though.

it is

yeah the game really loses steam when you actually get to Baldur's Gate, the best part of the game is just going off into the wilderness and exploring

You must gather your party before venturing forth
You mu..
You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself

git gud scrubba

But with the mods every encounter can become challenging so the extra levels just add more strategy (extra spells etc.).

>huge ass zone
>select whole party
>click on other side, have to cross whole map
>they reach it
>you must gather your party before venturing forth
>minsc didn't move his faggot ass

fucking why

BUT YOU ARE WRONG OP

It was alright, good even. But if it is truly the best the genre has to offer, then RPGs have a shitton of room for improvement.

>Got to Baldur's Gate

That's the best part though.

The game would have been a lot better were there some way to access Baldur's Gate very early along with all the exploration.