Should I get a PS4 Pro if I already have a decent gaming PC and no 4K TV?

Should I get a PS4 Pro if I already have a decent gaming PC and no 4K TV?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R_D9iX9U40E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do whatever you want

If you don't have a PS4 already and have the money, than sure. If you have one already there probably wont be much reason, but I have a release console and like the direction it's going. I have a 1440p monitor and pretty good computer but even if my monitor was 1080p I'd still get one, if the game allows it than it'll still look and/or run better.

Only if you don't already have a PS4.

I've already got a PS4, but fuck it, I preordered a Pro, and I've got a 4K TV on the way right now. Playing FFXV gimped just won't sit right with me.

>Playing FFXV gimped just won't sit right with me
Sounds like you should be waiting for the PC version

I would, but it'll be spoiled within a week. I'll get the PC version down the line too, in all likelihood.

XV has already been spoiled. And the Pro version is negligibly beter.

Ofcourse.
Then you got all of gaming in your palm.

If you're a weebfag, sure. Otherwise it ain't worth the cash.

No point. PS4 pro won't have increased frame rates or anything. Get a 4k meme monitor or a normal PS4 for dem exclusives.

If you don't yet own a PS4 I don't see why not.
It's only $50 more expensive than a XboneS or PS4 with 1TB and on a standard 1080p monitor will give you between 2x to 3x supersampling on most new games, and occasionaly a improved FPS or graphical option.

Unless $50 is a big deal (or in case you don't care about 1TB HDD and wouldn't mind a standard 500gb PS4/XboneS, it's $100 extra) then there is no disadvantage to getting the Pro instead of the standard model.

>PS4/pro
>Not gimped

Are you sure your TV is HDR compatible? Are you sure its HDR doesn't create a 100ms+ delay?

Gaming-friendly 4K HDR TVs are rare nowadays, be sure you didn't fuck yourself up. The biggest visual improvement comes from HDR, not 4K but you gotta be sure it only has a 30ms-40ms delay max.

I'm getting it for the Crash. Literally no other PS4 game interests me at the moment.

>30ms-40ms delay
Don't kid yourself, that's fucking horrible. I get less input lag using Steam game streaming over the internet, that shit shouldn't be acceptable for a screen connected directly to the fucking console.

It's where the best HDR displays are at right now, I didn't even defend it, just told the guy to make sure his HDR TV wouldn't be even worse than 30ms

>I get less input lag using Steam game streaming over the internet
You're missing the majority of your pipeline in that calculation you retard.

HDR = High Dynamic Range?

That shits been around since Half Life 2.

How is this HDR you speak of different from the once already in most pc games?

I am getting one for my 1080 tv, i very much hope it will benefit future releases with better framerates.

Google "HDR10". new 4k TVs have more color range so HDR is more noticeable.

HDR in games hasn't changed outside of displaying more colors that you can't see without spending $5000 on a new TV.

>i very much hope it will benefit future releases with better framerates.
It will not.

The right picture looks better, I can't be the only one who thinks that right?

I highly doubt anyone thinks the left looks better.

In some cases but it was already outright stated multiplayer games will not have improved framerates because of the advantage 60fps can give over 30fps.

Glad its not just me

That's fine.

Multiplayer often runs better than singleplayer anyways because devs downgrade the graphics in multiplayer a little bit.

SP games won't either for the same reason, and because it couldn't improve if they tried.

I'm talking about the added latency because of streaming you mongoloid. The quoted 30-40ms input lag of the best HDR TVs isn't the entire pipeline either, are you this stupid?

It would just be utter lazyness to not offer a few options.

Even nioh that is coming out for the normal ps4 has you pick a choice between 720 60 and 1080 30.

So I have a PS4 and I'll probably get this one as well since I don't have a gaming PC (just one for work). I plan on trading in my ps4 for the ps4 pro. How do I move my saves over from my ps4 to the ps4 pro? I'm pretty attached to my BB and DaS3 character.

Same name for different things. HDR in games is a simulation of that effect in real life which varies with every engine, it's not an improvement to the image, just a post-processing technique like bloom and blue and whatever else is there to cause an effect.

HDR on TVs is a straight up improvement to the display itself, nothing to do with "I got out of this cave and now everything is bright for a second before dimming down, woaaah"
It's like going from standard definition to HD, but instead of resolution it's about color range.

720p to 4K is a resolution improvement (number of pixels)
SDR to HDR is a color range / contrast improvement (quality of pixels)

Think of it like Frequency response in cheap headphones and good headphones. 4 - 51,000 Hz range is better than 30 - 18,000 Hz range. You can distinguish between different frequencies and instruments on the expensive headphones, you can hear new layers of bass of a song you didn't notive before with $20 earplugs, for example.

For example of a standard dynamic range (SDR) if in a game you look at the sky, directly at the Sun, the glare will be eating most of the detail, cloud sillouettes will be merged with the white glare because the TV can only do so much in that range of color. a HDR TV will show you new detail, because it can reproduce brighter whites, more yellows and blues and darker shadows, so the cloud shapes will be more visible and not completely merged with the sun's glare.
Same thing for shadowed areas, you'll see more detail in the shadows rather than a crushed black.
Of course I'm talking and contrasting areas because it's an easy example, but it improves the image overall, not just lights and darks.

And no, it's not the same as calibrating a SDR TV with 100% contrast and 100% sharpness, etc. That will only worsen the blown whites and crushed blacks.

Pic related is an example of what HDR is NOT.

TL;DR - Straight up better displays, it's that simpe, not a gimmick or single function.

Do you have ps plus?

If so you can upload every save you have and download it on your new ps4.

yeah same. I got the last of us for free witih my ps4 but it was a digital copy. Hopefully, I can play it on the new one

I'm pretty sure It's linked to your account and downloadable through your library.

Don't all Ps4s have PS plus? Unless I'm mistaken since I don't use any extra features on the ps4 outside of actually just running games. I don't really play online outside of FF14 and SF5 (which has been months).

>pick a choice between 720 60 and 1080 30.
It's 900p 60fps AFAIK, not 720p

You have to pay monthly for it.

Man, I fucking hope that's the case. I threw the code out 2 years ago.

>like bloom and blue and whatever else
like bloom or blur **

fuck

If you start your ps4 and go to your library, if tlou is there than you own it forever.

It will simply be redownloadable.

So does that mean I HAVE to pay for a month on it to transfer all my saves? What the fuck is this cashgrab...

I'm already buying the fucking system since every future game released for ps4 is going to look like dogshit on vanilla and sony wants to further widen my bunghole? That is ridiculous.

>It would just be utter lazyness to not offer a few options.
This is game development we're talking about here. No shit they're lazy.

It's an upgrade but it's not worth $5000

Ah I see. Sounds good. Thanks user.

2 things.
1. You can't see the HDR in that picture, its just a screenshot from a youtube video livestream.
2. You would need to see it run live on an HDR screen and the appropriate formats to see the true effect.

Another alternative is to put all your saves on a usb, which is free.

I fell for the meme. I ordered bloodborne today, I don't even have a PS4. Guess I might aswell grab a PS4 pro since the price is only slightly higher. I'll only use it for playing exclusives though. Oh well, didn't regret grabbing a PS3 for exclusives so it can't be too bad.

how decent pc are we talking?

if you can run games maxed out at 1080p 60fps+ dont bother

Hell even if you have a average gaming pc its still heaps better than the ps4 pro and you dont have to put up with
>Nogames
>Stupid controller
>Stupid PSN slow and always going down
>Sony going out of buisness slowly and an heroing all their good old studios that made the best games

if i was in the market for a new console i'd wait and get the new xbox one project

at least it has a better chance of displaying native 4k

the ps4 is a budget box that uses meme checkerbox rescaling to output a image thats 4k when still but as soon as there is alot of movement on screen you will see scaling artifacts similar to interlacing.

This is digital foundry saying this they are huge sony fanboys so even they admit it doesnt look that good and the games have huge issues maintaining a stable framerate on such old hardware

the rx480 will be outdated by next year when the 490 launches and the ps4's cpu and memory are hilariously outdated by like 4+ years

My advice, only buy a ps4(pro) if you're into japanese games.

And even then be wary that most games will end up on pc eventually.

This image is retarded because HDR literally does what is displayed on the left, HDR screens can just see the detail that's in the 'crushed blacks'.

Are you mentally challenged?

I do play jap games. And yeah, I grabbed a PS3 late into it's lifespan and just bought the exclusives. But there was a good number of them to warrant the price imo. Wonder if I should get a 4k monitor or something though? I have a 144hz for PC. But I guess 4k is more important for the Pro.

heres what i am talking about

youtube.com/watch?v=R_D9iX9U40E

PS4 has no good nips games and ps4 pro barely renders above 1440p, nowhere close to 4k out of essentially mobile game ports.

It's the biggest upgrade to displays in over a decade.

1080p wasn't worth 5k either
4K wasn't worth 5K
8K won't be worth 5K
Curved TVs weren't worth 5K
HDR isn't worth 5K
That's just the nature of the industry

Wait a couple of years until it gets to $300 or so. The current cheapest ~30ms 4K HDR TV is at $700

>Are you mentally challenged?
No, you are, apparently. I wrote in the post and it's written in the image itself how that is not a good example of HDR and the author of that image is just misleading people. Your reading comprehention really sucks

Star Ocean (I heard the new one sucks but I'm a fan of the series), Persona 5, Nepu games are timed exclusives so I guess they don't count. Yakuza? Fuck. Not that many I guess.

>The current cheapest ~30ms 4K HDR TV is at $700
whats the brand and model?

i got a cheap low response soniq here in aus for $600aud 2 years ago and it wasnt even on sale for a 48"

>It's the biggest upgrade to displays in over a decade.
No it isn't. Going from a laptop to 1440p or a '720p' display to 1080p or getting plasma/IPS over some cheap TN, or getting 4k after using a laptop is much better.

The higher standard isn't noticeable outside of really bright and dark sections, highly contrasting areas in games and most games don't even have such scenarios. For PC games that you can adjust the shaders of it would be nice but it's not a bigger leap than what other things we've seen.

You forgot ultra wide displays too. That's a fantastic upgrade for games that support it.

>I wrote in the post and it's written in the image itself how that is not a good example of HDR and the author of that image is just misleading people.
You are retarded because you're confusing two HDR definitions as the same one.

P5 is a PS3 game and I personally don't like Yakuza and that new SO did indeed suck.

I like nip games too but until there's an actual 10/10 one, buying a console near full price is retarded. It's been 3 years already.

Unless the games are going to be markedly different on the Pro, I'm sticking with the 4. Not giving Sony more money for jewing people.

All the platforms are jewish though.

I have a 3K monitor for daily PC use myself, I know the advantages of higher rez, like everyone else, and can't stand a 1080p monitor anymore

HDR is still the biggest leap. Of course we are comparing apples to oranges here so in the end it doesn't really matter, considering most HDR is pretty much only on 4K displays to begin with.

>The higher standard isn't noticeable outside of really bright and dark sections
false, goes to show you don't know jack shit.

don't recall. I think it's a Sony 42"

Sony 43"-49"-55" tvs are in that price range.

>false, goes to show you don't know jack shit.
I have seen them. Don't parrot neogaf shilling, it's inane.

Most people will not be able to tell the difference in HDR and non HDR, the clarity of increased resolution or display technology(ips/plasma compared to TN) is far more apparent.

I agree that it's something a person similar to an autistic audiophile can appreciate, and I want one myself, but no.

You don't need the pro if you don't have 4k HDR screen or you're not planning on buying a PSVR

>Don't parrot neogaf shilling
I don't ever visit that site, no clue what memes they are currently spouting

I'm a concept artist and do quite a lot of illustration and 3D modeling. HDR is a huge difference

still gives at least 2x supersampling on 1080p monitors
and on devs that bother, modes that improve framerate or graphics.

>Playing FFXV gimped just won't sit right with me
Protip: Any publisher shady enough to intentionally gimp performance, isn't worth supporting.