Are the stereotypes true?

Are the stereotypes true?
Do we only play games because we are social outcasts?

stereotypes are always true to a point
thats why they dont go away

The reverse for some people

Partially. We have identity issues, which is a stigma that came with our medium.

It's slowly going away though, now that the normies are taking over.

Assuming that gamers are social retards is a stereotype slowly dying. For better or worse.

Why would it matter? I don't want to feel "accepted" by a bunch of slicks that like things for retarded reasons. The grand majority of people are of average intelligence; made worse by investing their cognition in a hive-mind pissing contest & chasing fleeting chances of procreation. Games are played to distract & entertain. Alone is the best way to face this world.

i visit Cred Forums because i have nobody in my life to have a face-to-face conversation with. it's been so long since i've heard the voice of one of my friends.

out of the entire catalog there's probably at most 3 threads in which i can actually take part in because i don't like a lot of the games you guys play.

>self proclaimed queen gamer

a true indication that a person doesn't want to be a part of the community is when they want to lord over it.

I can smell your edgelord stank.

I always loved vidya because when I was a kid I grew up in basically wilderness with no fucking technology.
So when I went to a friends place and not only did they have a tv but videogames as well I was blown away by that shit.
Now its just a hobby that I dont even spend that much time on anymore.

Potentially true I'd say.

As > pointed out the older stereotype of people who play videogames still exists live and well to this day. But normies, casuals and people who want to "change the medium" or whatever have become much more prevalent in the last 5-10 years or so verses the industry and it's audience (or perceived audience) in say, 2005.

So in conclusion, playing videogames (nowadays at least) doesn't make you a social outcast but being a social outcast is a damn good reason to play videogames.

Assumptions, friend-o.

Who even likes this rat-faced cunt? That expression.. like she is used to useless niggers feeding her ego. It's annoying -- women are annoying.

The difference is that all those casuals only play vidya every once in a while
Even today, saying vidya is one of your hobbies either means you're an asocial fuck or a pink-haired indie dev

>le too smart for society meme

I do feel sorry for dumb autistic people like you user.

I think most are social outcasts because of gaming, not the other way around. As a kid for whatever reason, we became enamoured with gaming while most kids eventually grew out of it, or played normie shit only so they were still socially acceptable.

Even as a 25 year old, i love playing vids. Ive been playing so long that its all i know, good or bad.

But its only gaming thay gets criticized. You'll never hear, "whoa dude you still watch tv? How old are you again?"

Because gaming is viewed as a waste of time and counter productive. Which is true, IF you subscribe to that ideology. If all you value is productivity and being a ceo and driving a bugatti then gaming is the exact opposite of time well spent.

However if you value playing games more than you value "productivity" then its time well spent.

>I really want to cum all over her face I want to cum all over your face I want to come all over her face

Eh, not really. Gaming is mainstream now. Even back in the day I always played with friends so "social outcast" makes no sense when so many games were co-op and LAN.

When people say vidya geams are a waste of time, they don't mean you should get out there and work
They mean you should hang out with friends or go travel or whatever

>we
>cares about social pressure
Hi facebook!

i know its kinda edgy, but i also feel a lot of the time like that, hypocrisy insecurity really trigger me

I play games to socialize with old university friends after we all moved all over the world and also to make new friends at work.

>dumb autistic
Redundant & boring.
I'm not saying I am right without flaw. I am learning as I go.
As well, I'm not memeing. Tell me one benefit of chasing a life of normalcy.

>We have identity issues

What identity exactly? Before this notion of "identities" came along no one gave a shit. Christ calling yourself a gamer around here was seen as absolute cringe, and still is for the most part. This whole idea of "gamer" being an identity was something that was made up by gaming """""journalists""""". I've never met anyone through all my days LANing to playing online that was having some sort of identity crisis. Up until 5-6 years ago people just played games. Now it's suddenly all about identities and social issues, most of things people around here don't or wouldn't have given a shit about, but of course Cred Forums has become infested with these people over the past 2 years or so as the increase in these types of threads has shown.

I think the cause for this is obviously the influx of normies into the industry. People who care more about their social standing, who desperately want games to 'mature', the people who plays games like TLOU and claim its the citizen kane of videogames. A social outcast isn't going to give a shit about this, they will just play games and that's it. They won't try and big them up as something they are not. They won't desperately find some comparisons to more respected forms of media in order to make people think they're hobby isn't a childrens toy. So it seems the only people with identity issues it seems are the fucking normies who came along 5-6 years ago.

"gamers" have been normalfags for years now.

fuck off

we are social outcasts because we play games

man i really love you doesn't matter how much cringey or edgy everyone call you, you have struck me directly to my heart, its actually quite sad that everyone nowadays just cant love without sharing what they are doing why don't they just do what make them happy, there are people who watch some movies just because those movies are trendy and such after watch 10 status updates on facebook are fucking must for they or else they will fucking choke, a lot of the time it just gives me the feeling that people travel to their old villages they used to shit talk about just so that they can share and talk about it it really triggers me, i know a lot of people who watch anime and literally broadcast about it "hey i watch anime", "hey i am so le nerd", its just like that they can't enjoy things if they don't tell people about it

That man is absolutely right.

I want to be called cringey cause it'll just prove my point.

It's like a line was drawn back in 2009/10 when normies decided they were different from those basement dwelling virgins. They wanted to carve out their own niche within the industry but for whatever fucking reason weren't content with having those 'social outcasts' around so made up the "gamer" identity, lumped all those old twats who just wanted to play their games and be left alone into it, then attacked it outright. I guess the stereotypical gamer just isn't hip enough to associate yourself with. Now they're calling that made up identity into question and claiming something that never even existed in the first place is now dead. Almost like their trying to convince themselves that the stereotypical gamer is an unwanted element that needs to be removed in order for the industry, and in essence - themselves, to be taken seriously. It's mental to me.

I think you need to differentiate, 80s gamers were social outcasts that were beat up in the movies which is why shit like Revenge of the Nerds existed.

As more types of guys joined in it became less about hobbyists and more about it being a private club house for guys and the field began to seriously grow.

They're things to differentiate as you get to modern times, women bitch about gaming because either it takes time away from them or they used to shit on it back in the day, but as more women get into it..it becomes more about the fact that..they are trying to change what many guys like about it.

So stereotypes haven't been true for a long time, at least the old ones.

The new ones about being lazy pieces of shit that game all day are the current stereotypes that have nothing to do with social exclusion.

If you're wasting time not working a job or chasing pussy then people will call you a lazy piece of shit.

there is a mental condition that is found in a lot of social people called FOMO fear of missing out it explains a lot about these normalfags infesting all of the industries because normalfags actually feel jealous and kinda choke because of this condition they just want to be part of everything. you must have seen some cheery people who want to become part of everything. when they see a certain niche group having fun they just feel restless and want to become part of it, this vidya group just happen to become that niche group and normies want to part of it too, my bro is a damned normal fag and he literally want to talk about everything doesn't matter if he doesn't know about it, because they don't want to feel left out not even in the slightest its just severely insecure, like i really like country music he haven't heard anything country and he just came to me telling me that how he also like country music, i just gave him neutral milk hotel's ferris wheel on fire he just was making faces like if you don't like it and don't know about it why do you also want to be a part of a group that you don't even know, thats what FOMO is it really explains this

If I had friends or a non internet girlfriend I'd spend a fuck of a lot less time on video games and video game culture. That being said, my favorite things to do with friends and my past girlfriends (besides sex) has been playing games together. So my answer is, kinda but not really.

stereotypes have to have some truth in order for them to be true

For gamers being social outcasts, yes, I would say that does have truth to it. Sometimes, you can just see a quiet, shy white guy, he probably plays "a lot" of video games (ex, "that guy"). I would also say its a stereotype of gamers to be either too skinny or really fat; either way, in less shape than the average person.

Just like how rednecks liking to hunt and listen to country music is a stereotype, and how African Americans listen to hip hop and rap music or how, there are a bunch of stereotypes that are true to an extent. Of course you will find exceptions for all cases.

>there are people here actually ashamed of the "gamer" tag

Consoles, Call of Duty, Battlefield, FIFA, Fallout, the Skyrim series...

Do you really need to be reminded that the most normal of normalfriends are playing video games, and inevitably becoming more and more ingrained in video game culture?

>that jew handshake

Nailed it

People who call themselves 'Gamers' are vulnerable to shitty stereotypes, but most people just play fucking games. Why ya gotta identify with fucking video games, holy shit.

Also most of this thread has been edgy teens thinking their experience with shitty gamer culture as representation of the majority of social interaction and stereotypes. Gronks.

That's what it means? I heard Kanye mention that in a feature, but I never bothered to look it up. I think if you miss out, you're more likely to not be in the conversation meaning you've been phased out in some way. It sucks when your friends start talking about something and you have zero knowledge on it, so you just kind of sit back and listen so you don't sound stupid. Vidya is easy to get into though compared to film.

it's partially true for me. started playing games as a young kid because they were cool. continued to play as a teenager because why not. and now i'm an adult that spends way too much time and money sitting at a desk obsessing over games.

MMOs fucked my life more than any other kind of game. but at the same time MMOs gave me the most interesting game experiences.

I remember playing on the PS1 back in kindergarden with my friends and family, and it was something i felt brought people together at the time. i continued playing games, but noticed that as the years went by people became obsessed with growing up and felt the need to worry about things and do grown up stuff. i ended up being one of the few that kept on playing and became less and less interested in what people my age were doing to a fault. after a while i started feeling alone with my games and decided to maybe try out the things most of my friends were doing, but came to the realization that i was either too far behind on the topic or that i just didn't care about it.
ultimately i ended up returning to my games again and again usually without finding people to play with because being a "gamer" wasn't really a thing that people wanted to let others know. on those rare occasions i found someone to talk to every 5th year or so, they didn't play the same games as me, but it was okay because we could talk about it and usually find a middleground of genres that we both could play.
today i still try to at least join the outside world and talk to people, but i find myself at a loss when it comes to befriending people because i seem to live in another world than most. it sounds dumb saying it but time and time again i find that people have entirely different priorities and interests than me.
i have good friends and i realise that gaming probably is going to stay with me forever, but the further i get into the adult life the more i see that "gaming" is still not something that most people do. sure you have the normies playing only the "latest and greatest" and good on them, but for us playing the indies, the fighters, the challenging games and the more niche vidya it is pretty lonely in the outside world.
i really don't want to become a basement dweller you guys but i don't know how much longer i can maintain my interest in the outside

Me playing videogames and being a social outcast are not correlated.

yeah

Excrement in human form.