Street Fighter X Tekken

Did this game fail only because of Gems and Locking Content of to be sold of as DLC.

Or was it just a bad unbalanced game.
Only fun til you figure out how unbalanced and badly made it is.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WAJUelWRWBs
youtube.com/watch?v=YMaM6hQlnX8
youtube.com/watch?v=jvNJsFb7Rus
youtu.be/KLQ1aCOSQos
eventhubs.com/news/2015/dec/25/ono-street-fighter-3-got-point-where-we-were-making-game-was-too-hard-people-play/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The first two together. People were mad at Capcom and the debut game was busted. Kazuya had a piss easy infinite. It didn't even feel play tested.

2013 was a hot game though.

Mechanically it was shit and launched with a fair amount of game breaking bugs.
They did some patching to put a bandaid on the systems in place and other nonsense but between the DLC, capcom trying to make a tv show out of playing it, piss poor balance, and dropping support on certain platforms so they didn't even get some of the patches it was destined to fail.

both. they tried to do a complete rebalance which made it feel like a new game but the damage was already done.

youtube.com/watch?v=WAJUelWRWBs

you tell me

shit balanced that originates from half the roster being ripped directly from 4.
1/3 of the roster being locked on the disc for 8 months
the promise that dlc gems wouldn't be overpowered and then releasing a 1/32 meter autoblock gem when the free one is 1/8 meter
bad boxart megaman immediately after they killed the megaman series
the worst comeback mechanic in fighting game history thats so shit it shouldn't even exist

The game is so bad it made me stop asking for a Capcom vs SNK 3.

Dat OST doe
youtube.com/watch?v=YMaM6hQlnX8
youtube.com/watch?v=jvNJsFb7Rus

>1/3 of the roster being locked on the disc for 8 months

Wait, did they give the characters for free later?

you don't suppose it was the artstyle, do you?

no they sold them for $20 or you got a code for them if you bought the vita version.

Thanks for rhe info

I thought it looked like ass.

>make some characters platform exclusive
>turns out they are just locked in a folder and can be accessed by playing with a file on a modded 360

Shame capcom didn't royally fuck up and leave cole mcgrath on all versions, would have been a laugh and a half.

I always forget Lei Wulong is even in this game. Six buttons for each stance too.

this can't be real

Cole was ironically a realy balanced and complex character.
Not just a joke like the others.
Shame he was a PS3 exclusive.

100 percent is. Everything in the video was doable at launch.

To bad most of the stances ware of no use.
The Frame disadvantage of changing stances is just not functional in a 2d fighting game.

2013 gave each stance really good anti-airs though. A real shame.

I meant the legal implications of having a sony owned character appearing on rival hardware after signing multiple contracts.

>Don't Blink!

>they didn't even banned this on tournament

Megaman and all the Ps3 exclusive characters ware banned.
But evo was still Timeouts mostly.

Worst part is people cred about he timer in the game.
But Capcom didn't give a fuck and wanted to actually release timer extension Gems.

>mfw no SvC 2

>SvC was supposed to play like NGBC but SNKP ran out of time

What a shame

Here's my hypothesis:
Street Fighter X Tekken failed because it was too hard.

Talking heads and "people" in the fighting game community love to talk about what an amazing game Street Fighter III is, but it failed om the market and nobody plays it today because it is too difficult to play well to any degree.

The same thing applies to SF X T: you thought the strict timing on links in Street Fighter IV was bad? SF X T demanded even more strict, frame-perfect timing for the most basic of combos.

So the playerbase devolved into two seperate camps: people who couldn't pull off even the most basic of juggle combos because the timing on them was too strict, and for whom consequently the game an endless succession of boost chains, throws and the odd special move or Cross Assault, and people who really put effort into learning how the combat system worked and could juggle combo the former people through entire matches. Unfortunately, within the game's install base, these latter specimen were outnumbered about 10 to 1 by people with other games to play. And so, bad word of mouth combined with the game's other technical shortcomings and underlying design issues (bad balance overall, attacks doing too little or too much damage resulting in most games ending in time outs) as well as the game's legendary DLC fiasco led to the game going down the drain.

It doesn't even have all that much to do with te Gem System. Honestly, gems are a brilliant idea and add a lot of variety and spice to matches. The system just needed a much better overall foundation. For example, if Streer Fighter V added gems, I honestly doubt many people would complain.

>The Tekken characters were really interesting and fun when translated to 2D Street Fighter style
>tfw the game was trash overall, and bombed so hard we'll never see them in a similar fashion again

Still a better game than SFV. Had tons more content too.

ver. 2013 was actually really good but the damage was done by that point.

>Capcom gets to use Tekken characters
>botches them all into a mess of game

>Bamco gets to use Akuma
>makes him more interesting than the entire SFV cast

Just give Street Fighter to Bamco already. I'm done with Capcom.

Ironically I can't imagine playing any other fighting game than Street Fighter V right now, while I just can't bring myself to care about Tekken 7.

I guess fundamentally altering your games from sequal to sequal has its perks.

I can't help but wonder what Bamco would do with Tekken's engine and an entire SF cast. What would Cammy's juggles look like? How would Sagat fight with three dimensions?

There are tons of better fighting games than SFV out now.

>bamco
>not nandai
Faggot

I want to see Bamco make a 2D SF game. And I would play great money to see the SF characters with Bamco's modelling.

Bamco makes more sense to me, friendo. They're officially Bandai Namco internationally. So I lead with what they lead with.

I actually enjoy SFxT

BalrogxBison and KingxKazuya (also my tag 2 team)

Actually no. Street Fighter V is a masterful tightrope act of walking that paper thin line between complexity and accessability juuuuuust right. In Street Fighter V, you never feel like you lost because you just don't have the dexterity to pull off a move or a combo, and that's a wonderful thing to know in a fighting game. This actually places SF V above Skullgirls in my eyes.

Meanwhile the new Guilty Gear games are actually SLOWER than SF V and just don't do it for me at this point in time, Killer Instinct's guessing games just can't compete with SF V's V system and gorgeous animations, Dead or Alive 5 is kinda stale now after four years, The King of Fighter XIV is slow and stilted full of bland, uninteresting characters when it isn't a mashfest; and let's be honest here: BlazBlue was never good.

I don't want to get into PS3 stuff because that would take waaaaaay too long, but suffice it to say, Capcom absolutely knocked it out of the park with Street Figjter V, and nobody was more surprised by this than I was.

>In Street Fighter V, you never feel like you lost because you just don't have the dexterity to pull off a move or a combo
This was one of those pet peeves I had wih Street Fighter IV and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Past a certain point, complexity stops doing you any good.

Look, I can tell you worked really hard on this but you should've saved "Guilty Gear is slower than SFV" for much later in your post if you didn't want to get totally disregarded before we got even halfway through it.

Can I ask what rank you are in SFV? Because after a while, the fact that the game doesn't require much dexterity to deal massive damage becomes very frustrating. Ken only needs a target combo to get you in the corner. And then it's 50/50 galore of guessing games. Good luck reacting to anything with the shitty netcode at work. You might aswell just throw the dice and hope for the best. Meanwhile, when I lose in Skullgirls or GG, I know the player I lost to is better than me. I don't feel like that in SFV. I just feel cheated losing. Because the other player got so much damage for free or because it has so many cheap elements like dashing and constant jump-ins.

>In Street Fighter V, you never feel like you lost because you just don't have the dexterity to pull off a move or a combo

So why didn't more of you no-execution scrubs buy this game?

Game had most of the same issues as SF5 and, once Capcom stopped throwing money at fgc shills to say how awesome it is, the community stopped supporting it.

Can't wait for history to repeat itself.

v.2013 is legit good
the terrible launch and on disk dlc left a bad taste in the players mouths and the r/kappa streamboars shat on it becuz all the cool kids were

Well it's the truth. I was surprised to see it too. Xrd is DEFINITELY not XX.

>the oily even worse than SF4 aesthetic
>the gems
>the timeouts
>the pandora mode
>the dlc
>the broken shit on launch and the shitty extra characters
In another world the perfect crossover exists.

>Can't wait for history to repeat itself.
Capcom is going to stick to SFV despite it failing so hard because this is all they got left. If they ditch a mainline SF game like they ditched SFxT, then they're out of the game.

>you never feel like you lost because you just don't have the dexterity to pull off a move or a combo, and that's a wonderful thing to know in a fighting game.

AKA Casual as fuck when you don't need to spend time in TR.

Of course it isn't, except the glitch is obviously something that did exist at one point.

>And then it's 50/50 galore of guessing games. Good luck reacting to anything with the shitty netcode at work
I don't know about where you live but in my country we have a pretty good broadband infrastructure so most of my connections are virtually lag-free. And even then, you always have V-reversals at your disposal. That's the thing about Street Fighter V: Street Fighter IV was on the market for too long, so now the new game has a bunch of tools the community isn't accustomed to using yet, even though they make the game soooooo much better (I admit I am occasionally guilty of this myself).

A million and a half did before the end of Capcom's fiscal year.

And sales are actually picking up now. We should be past the two milli mark by now.

Shame, i really like how Capcom did the tekken models. Shading aside, they looked great.

>tfw Tekken X Street Fighter will never release

At least Akuma is in Tekken 7 I guess.

I don't think you actually play fighting games. 3rd Strike released with no competition in the arcade, it was immensely popular.

So many posts in this thread are attempting to identify negative things about the game and not actually identify why the game sold below expectations at release.

I expect major system overhual for season 2.

EXACTLY! You DON'T need to hammer in some manual set of moves into your brain just to be good at it!

The only other games I can think of that had such elegant combat systems are the first two Soul Calibur games.

Japanese companies aren't run by sentimentalists. If there's more money in making pachinko machines and phone games, they'll go do that.

Game wouldn't have been made at all if they weren't handed Sonybux for it, and they obviously cut every corner making it.

The game became a pretty decent one after the 2013 update.

Of course the dreadful first years of the game killed any chance of this being succesful

No, they didn't. They stalled at 1.4 million for an entire quarter leading into their shareholder report. Zhuge reported about it. It's the "worst-selling mainline Sf title." That's just a fact.

*sigh* for the last time:

AKUMA IN TEKKEN 7 IS NAMCO TESTING OUT THE MOST ELEMENTARY OF STREET FIGHTER SPEDIAL MOVES IN A FULLY 3D ENVIRONMENT! ONCE THEY KNOW HOW TO IMPLEMENT AND BALANCE THOSE MOVES PROPERLY, THEN THEY WILL MAKE TEKKEN X STREET FIGHTER!

i liked this game alot...but people were too upset with gems and on disk dlc...plus most games ended with time outs in the competitive level so it made it boring.

Crackpron, go home you fag

>3rd Strike released with no competition in the arcade, it was immensely popular.
Street Fighter 3 bombed so hard and was so overlooked and unpopular that it put Capcom off of making any new Street Fighter games for a decade.

>A million and a half did before the end of Capcom's fiscal year.

1.4m units shipped. And they shipped

Yeah, but now it's selling again.

You know, now that it's getting features.

Who are you talking to?

Crackpron is an old, insufferable member of SRK who moderates every big FGC twitch page. That's almost word-for-word some shit he's spammed in a chat before. The faggy *sigh* really pulled it all together.

What we never count are digital sales, and now, in the PS4 era digital sales are humongous.

And so it didn't have as strong a start as Street Fighter IV. At the end of the day SF V is just more accessible and tons more fun to play: so once people try it they won't look back, and in the end there will be more people paying SF V than SF IV.

>everyone that has tried Akuma in T7 says he feels exactly like Akuma just better in every way
Fuck Capcom other developers handle your characters better then you do

Hmm, sounds like my kinda guy. They do say that great minds think alike.

Last month on Steam had the second lowest headcount since the game got released.

I'd have less of a problem with Capcom's fighting game for casuals if casuals actually played the game. Because they might hang around and play other games. But this game didn't even hold on to SF4's numbers, let alone expand them.

No they didnt

They released the Alpha series, the EX series and the early VS games

Everyone stopped playing it because you can't make megaman fly to space anymore, and you can't crash consoles by throwing roland's knife at fireballs anymore, and you can't jin swag kick anymore.

> 3rd Strike performed so poorly it put off Capcom from making fighting games

You sure about that? 3rd Strike released in 1999, and I'm pretty sure more titles were made after its release.

They do count digital sales. The info was from the shareholder report and website. They don't talk in "shipped." This is the info they have to win investors over with. They have to know exactly what a product is worth. They sated that it had "sold" 1.4 million units. This number would have to be both digital sales and shipped copies.

Because it has no arcade mode.

I'm a casual so my opinion is shit, but didn't the Tekken characters feel much better/stronger than SF?

I had fun with the title. Juggling felt fun and felt like it visually made sense with some moves. Most I ever ranked was B though.

Too bad I'm shit as SFV.

They made other fighting games but they were mostly cross games. Street Fighter as an active series was put on the backburner because of third strike.

SFV has just as many players now as USF4 did in its last months on PC. Don't really see how you can claim it's not a blunder. Once they actually manage to complete the game and have it up to genre standards, they should offer an F2P version so the online doesn't dry up.

>every character on disc and playable
>ROLENTO KNIFE GLITCH
>"Megaman"
>"megaman" floating into the sky glitch
>Awful balance
>G E M S
>Literally hurts to look at.
It was a fucking monkey's paw. Tekken and Street fighter in the same game, yet it turned out to be complete dogshit. What a world we live in.
>mfw the first time someone hit me with the rolento knife bullshit.

Never played 2013 but the SF side had more characters in top-high tier than Tekken.

At first, Tekken characters were easily better because of how hard it was to block Tekken strings and many were even safe. 2013 had just enough time for people to realize that footsies and what you got off them were more important. Hence all the American Chun players.

Mostly because Tekken characters required elaborate combos while SF characters ware just as easy to play as in SFIV.
Also the games sit timer made turtles top tier.
And only turtle on the tekken side was raven,

at least it's not MvC2 where the only viable characters are on the Marvel side

>Thought it was just poking fun at rolento jabbing to victory and time-outs
>Totally forgot about that glitch
Hot fucking damn

Funny enough I stuck with only capcom for that reason. Just among friends though, I wasn't crazy good or nothin.

Landing the Tyrant special with Jill was always funny.

Being a huge Tekken Kazuya fagget, this trailer made it look like it was going to be the greatest crossover of all time.

youtu.be/KLQ1aCOSQos

it was not.

You would have to link to a source citing why 3rd Strike's performance in specific stopped the production of new games. What's more likely is that Capcom was actively getting into home console development and didn't think a new Street Fighter was appropriate for home consoles.

YES! C'MON! I'M A MEMBER OF STARS

To be fair, as a Kazuya player I was impressed by how acurrate most of his input comands translated, even being able to "juggle". I just got it for pure spectacle though.

gems ruined everything

it literally made it a p2w game

greedy fucks

At least he was top tier

eventhubs.com/news/2015/dec/25/ono-street-fighter-3-got-point-where-we-were-making-game-was-too-hard-people-play/

>>Reasons why 3rd Strike was a flop and 'killed Street Fighter/2D fighters in general until SF4'
>>-It came it in a time when home consoles were eating arcades' lunch
>>-CPS3 boards were expensive, so smaller arcades were out of the equation
>>-3D fighters were the new big thing, people were bored of 2D
>>-it had no home port until the Dreamcast, an unsuccessful console, and it was a bad port. It didn't get a real port until PS2 in 2004.
>>-It didn't have all the characters people were familiar with, so people preferred Alpha 3 I guess (which was ported to PS1, a console people actually owned)
>>-SFII og's didn't respond well to it. A couple people I know from that time thought it was watered down casual crap
>>-It did away with a lot of playstyles that made Street Fighter Street Fighter. Basically only footsie range or closer playstyles work in Third Strike

>>Revenue from Street Fighter decreased year on year, so Capcom decided to basically reboot the franchise to try to attract new players. It was made more 'exciting' (new players get frustrated at getting fireballed to death), got fancy new graphics, originally Ken and Ryu weren't going to be in, but reception to that was too negative. Capcom made a big gamble and lost pretty spectacularly. Though some people will say the game itself killed SF/2D fighters/their dog, there were just too many factors that worked against it. In this thread you see a lot of people that liked it, it wouldn't be too different with casual players back then, but 3D fighters were the new exciting thing at the time.

>>As for NG and 2I, they are ignored because
) they are bad
) most older fighter iterations are ignored. Exceptions I can think of are SFII CE, HF, Alpha 2, and Vampire Hunter.

Mfw when i never realised before that Devil is in Kazuya's reflection here.

Mfw the 3 bits of quoted text here are a conversation between his "two halves".

Gives me good ol Tekken 2 vibes man.

funny thing is the Dreamcast ports of SF3NG and SF3 Second Impact are really good.

So Kazuya's saying "now all characters are available"?

Calling 3rd Strike 'hard to play' is a moot point given how difficult a lot of elements in the SF4 series are to newcomers. In developer interviews (check shmupulations), the SF3 dev team acknowledged that the series was for a different audience than the Alpha series. In those same interviews Capcom acknowledges the rise of home consoles, but continued making fighting games for arcades first out of respect to players and market stability. Obviously revenue from fighting games was declining, no fighting game can ever hope to reach the success the SF2 series had.

They fucked up so hard with SF4. Plinking is the worst "mechanic" I have ever seen in any fighting game, period, and they should be ashamed that they made 5 different versions of the game and never took it out.

Plinking was an abuse of the game's engine. Taking advantage of how it would read inputs. VesperArcade says it's still very much possible in V, but never necessary.

More like SFIV had so many stupidly impossible inputs that you have to trick the game's controls into working. They should have removed any unintentional combos and made the intentional ones easier to perform.

Instead you have to dance across your buttons like a fucking lunatic while playing, it's unnecessary and incredibly offputting for a newbie player. Hell it's offputting for an experienced player.

None of what you just typed as anything to do with what I said. Plinking (punch-linking) is a glitch that is possible in both games. I was just clarifying because "mechanic" was too vague a way to address it.

This game had the ugliest artstyle ever. I mean MVC3 tried to emulate western comic book inking and colors, but what the fuck is SFxT?

If by character you mean grills then yes. No limits for us. Mfw Kaz chose that homegrown soft puss hair jap girl, jun and exploded his alpha male seeds deep inside, gittin et preggo first time. He knew what was up.

>literally gimped the PS3/360/PC versions just to sell the Vita version which has all the characters not behind a paywall
>still plays like ass

This is why I hate SFV being PS4 exclusive because Sony fucks with fighting games very hard.
>its servers getting hacked in 2011 when Mahvel 3, MK9 and Arcana Hearts dropped
>screwed over Superbot for PSASBR with budget and timing
>SFIV on PS4 runs like shit

>"buy this new fighting game guys! It's a mashup!"
>Sweet! *buys it for $40* ... Why is half of the character select screen greyed out? How do I unlock these?
>"Oh you have to buy those."
>but I just bought the game...
>"Thanks! Enjoy half the roster then see if you want to play the good characters!"
>The fuck, bro?
>"Also buy these game breaking gems, slots for the gems, and also these recolors!"
>Pay 2 win? Are you serious?
>"Why wouldn't I be?"

I'll see you in hell, Capcom.

On the plus side, Capcom is sinking pretty hard. They got a couple of years left at the most before pulling a Konami and getting the fuck out.

That'd be nice, but they are turning huge profits with everything that isn't a fighting game. RE and MonsterHunter print money.

They really aren't. Their profit margins are almost nonexistant. RE7 is a fucking VR game. They're so poor they can't even afford to make proper games anymore.

What

This reads like some youtube rp comment

>SFV has just as many players now as USF4 did in its last months on PC
USFIV had those numbers for years, those aren't just the last years numbers that is what it was consistently at

it actually had a boost as well from the 100s to 1,000s a few years earlier