At what point did gaming go from a nerdy hobby for geeks to the mainstream garbage it is today?

At what point did gaming go from a nerdy hobby for geeks to the mainstream garbage it is today?

i blame apple and their casual technology masquerading as intelligent and sophisticated

also stop trying to get others to post it

Two words: Play. Station.

Around the time Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 released, everybody became shit, and everyone sucked. It happened before that.

Nerds and geeks are different

So are autists.

a combination of things
>casual games opened up easier gaming to an audience who liked other things; sports games for sports fans, rock band for music fans, etc
there is an entire subset of people in the UK who have steam installed ONLY to play football manager, you would actually be shocked at the numbers, and the vast demographic (I know 50 year old who hates games, but will play football manager religiously)

>motion controls dragged a lot of people in, because it was easier for people who didn't know button layouts to play games if the control scheme just imitated what we do IRL

what I want to know is how dudebro's got into halo and call of duty? playing games seems at odds with their lifestyle which consist of wearing caps backwards, exercising, drinking, and bragging about smashing puss'

The Wii came out putting a games consoles into everyones living room.
COD4 was released which while good, really set the standard for casualized shooters from then onwards, with multiplayer focused on a progression system with unlocks and killsteaks to make it accesable to new players so they could still feel like they were winning every now and then.
Big Bang Theory was first released, putting "nerd" culture into the mainstream, though a casualized dumbed down version of it that made fun of it while also making it easily accesible.
The apple iPhone was released, leading to normies always carrying this "gadget" around with them that had tons of gay as fuck casual mobile games on them which made them all think they were now nerdy and gamers
And lastly facebook and browser games like farmville, although it didn't come out in 2007, it started getting really popular by then and overtaking Myspace, which was also similar cancer which lead to normies using computers more.

2007 was the year it all ended.

Apple/Social Media and the big bang theory

2007 when Big Bang Theory aired

Better graphics. I read about a girl that decided to play game when saw his boyfriend play Mass Effect. At first she tought that was a tv series, than stick and watch. Then she understand that was a game. So she get interested and start play herself.

This.

>what I want to know is how dudebro's got into halo and call of duty?

Played it as they were growing up socially.

Everyone visited friends as a kid and ended up playing Blood Gulch on Halo and then COD4 was the next big thing so people played it on their 360's. Gears of War was also quite popular for a time along with Halo 3, but eventually both series fell behind and COD reigned supreme for a while until Battlefield became the new challenger for normie friendly title.

I know I was forced to attend youth groups and local church functions as a child and they'd always have an Xbox connected a projector screen there with a bunch of teenagers huddled around it playing Halo and fucking Metal Arms Glitch in the System, out of all the fucking games on the OG Xbox.

This. Newfags here won't remember before 1995 when gaming was exclusively a hobby for geeks. Casuals would mock gamers by saying "Aren't you a bit OLD to still be playing video games?". Then Playstation came along and suddenly even the jocks, niggers, and trailer park redneck kids were playing games.

PS2 era, it's the best selling console of all time since it doubled as a dvd player.

1995 when Sony market PlayStation as a entertainment machine

Is it creepy for me to fap to Facebook pictures of girls I know?

If you don't know the answer to that then its already too late.

The ignorance that causes racism to manifest, must also block your sense of the world. Nintendo made videogames popular in the west again. All Sony did was improve on the existing fanbase once Squaresoft jumped ship.

Had Squaresoft stayed with Nintendo, we'd all be playing an even shittier version of FFXV right now.

When companies realized how much money the industry was squandering

Nintendo made games popular with geeks and kids.

Sega told aging gamers that they should abandon the kiddy Nintendo and play their consoles instead.

Sony took Sega's flag and ran with it and went full casual.

>The ignorance that causes racism to manifest

butthurt nigger detected