Steam shows Windows 10 usage dropping among gamers too, as Linux and Mac make gains

betanews.com/2016/10/03/steam-shows-windows-10-usage-dropping-among-gamers-too/

>September wasn’t a good month for Windows 10. After enjoying uninterrupted meteoric growth since launch, usage share for the new OS actually dropped off last month, according to the latest figures from NetMarketShare announced on Saturday.

>That's not the only bad news for Microsoft either. Gamers, who typically prefer to be running the latest operating system, also turned their back on Windows 10 in September.

>According to the latest Steam survey, which provides a snapshot of the kinds of computer hardware and software that customers of Steam’s gaming platform are using each month, Windows 10 use declined fractionally in September, although it still has very impressive 48.9 percent of the desktop operating system market.

>Steam actually breaks the OS down by version, and according to its figures, Windows 10 64-bit, which has a whopping 47.48 percent share, actually grew by 0.04 percentage points in September, but the 32-bit version, which is just on 1.42 percent, fell by 0.09 percentage points. Overall, that means Windows 10 fell by a combined 0.05 percentage points.

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.apple.com/metal/
makeuseof.com/tag/makes-apples-metal-graphics-technology-special/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wow, 0.04 percent. Really makes you think

fpbp

also morons don't understand that steam considers W10 anniversary update an "other" system

>there are more Mac gamers on Steam than Linux gamers

Now this is quite interesting. Really makes my head gears spin.

>32-bit version
>in 2016

WHY?

Who's this fluid druid?

what the heck I hate windows 10 now!?

Don't sexualize her.

She is a love dove.

>these people are literally CHOOSING to downgrade from DirectX 12
>these people are literally CHOOSING an inferior PC gaming experience

Czeched

Gaming on Memeix

>start game
>game won't start
>spend half hour finding help online
>find post somewhere describing edit to game file that has to be made
>follow instructions
>game plays without sound
>spend half hour looking for sound fix
>only partial fix, have to change a bunch of other general settings that need to be changed back after playing game
>try game again, it plays with sound
>some audio missing
>random black screen flicker from time to time
>game crashes 15 minutes in
>restart, save corrupted
>new game
>new game refuses to start
>spend half hour looking for workaround
>genius linux fedoras say try reinstalling game
>let out frustrated sigh, reinstall game
>start game
>audio but black screen

Right, wake me up in a decade when Linux can actually be used, because it's worse than 90's DOS right now.

Update your drivers.

>Macs are more friendly to gaming than the latest Windows
What a time to be alive

You got no choice goy, we will MAKE you use windows 10

It's all about that Metal.

developer.apple.com/metal/

makeuseof.com/tag/makes-apples-metal-graphics-technology-special/

What's funny is that many of the criticisms of Windows 10 could also be applied to MacOS and Linux as well. Not the privacy stuff, I mean the way Windows 10 is changing how filing, security, having a centralized "app store," etc. Windows is trying to become more like Unix, to the point of having a Bash shell. It's meant to appeal more to developers, whereas before it was meant to appeal to users, where you could install whatever you want in a wild west sort of way. Wanting you to download everything form a centralized repository to prevent compatibility issues is a Unix thing, it's just new to Windows users so it scared people. People criticize Windows 10 for making it difficult to let you install programs wherever you want. This is alos true of Linux, you don't choose how programs install unless you are technologically knowledgeable and using a custom distro or something. You need to use symlinks to manage folders, when you download something it doesn't give you much of a choice. The permissions system in Linux is frustrating, I found it difficult to create another Steam folder on another drive.

I just feel like people don't realize what Linux actually is. You aren't going to get a Windows XP/7 experience in Linux. A lot of the things long term Windows users don't like about Windows 10 are standard on Mac and Linux. Unless you use something like Gentoo Linux barely gives you more control over your own system than Windows does.

you don't need win10 to use vulkan, user.

I'm hoping it's just embedded devices or HTPC's but there's probably a fair share of retards that actually use 32-bit on a desktop.

>steam-shows-windows-10-usage-dropping-among-gamers-too

What games do they play?

Is this pasta? It's great

>that means Windows 10 fell by a combined 0.05 percentage points

Stop the motherfucking presses! It's over! Windows10 confirmed DEAD! My god, Microsoft can their shit up, RIP. Wow!

I'm not updating my motherboard. I need IDE ports and anything current is SATA only. I still haven't heard a good reason to upgrade to 64-bit too.

PC gaming on 4GB RAM (which is the limit for 32-bit) or less is just masochism.

Which good games require more?

This. Even current-gen consoles have more RAM than that and developers are still downgrading their games to run properly on them.

i updated to 64bit specifically for new strider because it had that strider 2 psx strider, can't say i hated it, was not bad

The 4Gb limit applies to RAM and VRAM combined. 4Gb honestly hasn't been enough since 7 or even XP.

Whoops, meant Vista, XP was the last viable 32-bit OS.

28 is young.

Undertale.