Why are tank controls so hated?

why are tank controls so hated?

because they are unintuitive for the uninitiated.

but we are initiated

They're shitty.

The one redeeming quality is that, if the camera angle changes, the character will keep moving in the same direction. Hence why they were used in the old RE games.

Because they're garbage. Control has evolved since then and it's incredibly dated and unintuitive.

Admit it, if you could play those older games with the freedom of 360° movement they would be more enoyable.

>hurrr durrr underage can't appreciate

That isn't an argument. I know I'm older than you. It's okay. I'm fucking old school. Got a NES the day it came out when I was fucking TWO and been playing gamea since.

Because want the game to play itself, and give the player the illusion that they actually succeeded

Just look at new Tomb Raider. Game is fucking on-rails.

I just got the MO disc and I need to head to garden to power the elevator with my just collected battery. Anything I should check in the mansion? I need shotgun shells only have 20 on me because I hate hunters already. How do I unlock the locked door on 2nd floor? It just says locked nothing about which key is needed.

Because 1995+ gaming generation happened.

>Unintutive
It was the best way to move with a dpad in a 3d space you clueless retard.

Stop using buzzwords you don't know the meaning to.

Tank controls are the ONLY way to play games with locked camera angles. Otherwise it's shit.

you buy REremake and fuggedabaoudit

I love tank controls:-(

It makes precise controls and quick reactions difficult. Running away from something is tough when you have to swivel around, then run away. Some games include a quick-turn, but not all and that can make it difficult to avoid enemies. And since tank controls are often found in games where items are limited or enemies are deadly, it combines in a nightmare.

In some ways it does increase the anxiety of the player, but not in a really good way. The last thing I want to fear is whether my character will control in the way I want fast enough. What I want to actually fear is running out of items, being stupid enough to not scan a room for enemies, and what lurks in each new area.

Like others have stated, the main benefit is that it works well with fixed camera angles. When you're running forward with tank controls your character doesn't suddenly jerk in response to the change in camera like it would with other forms. But then again, in most games like that you could just continue holding forward and not any other direction and they'll do the same thing. So it's kinda moot anyway. A good example is Silent Hill 2. In some areas the camera is locked, but if you just keep holding forward when the camera shifts James just keeps going. So it's not hard to work with even if the camera angles are set.

They aren't when the game is balanced around them. And once you get good tank controls are actually the most precise controls.

I think the one on the second floor is the dressing room which don't get until you beat the game

>gets

they require a small key

because people who got into games after 1998 are too used to 3D controls.

No Lefty I'm playing RE1 first then I'll play REmake. I like the cheese and lack of Crimson Heads.

People who were born after the 17th century are too used to modern medicine.

>why are tank controls so hated?

Almost everything is standardized nowadays so it's normal to see people hate on them, they're not used to them.

real games let you control the camera with the mouse, anyway.

My general rule of thumb for game controls is this: if it feels like my untrained dumb ass could've done the thing I'm trying to do with ease IRL but I struggle to do the same thing in the game, then there's probably something wrong with the game. Tank controls are NEVER the *best* solution but you can build a game around them and make it *work*. Also, the best RE controls are in the GameCube remakes where you can walk with the right trigger.

Why have tank controls when we have enough rendering power to actually have the player control the camera? For instance, FPS controls are way more precise than tank controls.

I'm not saying they're good, I'm just saying that by the time games like the first resident evil came out there was no analog stick on the PS1 controler. from 2 onwards they added the option for 3d controls.

The Blair Witch videogame let's you play with WASD + Mouse on a game with pre-rendered scenarios.

It works surprisingly well.

Retards.

Generation Z

Because people with dried dog turd brains can't wrap their heads around up on the d-pad being the universal control for forward movement. There's nothing wrong with tank controls, it works far better than analog movement for games with static camera angles.

I think like anything anons, if you really WANT to play something you will take time to adapt to the controls.
I came to love the tank controls early on, it lets me pick up silent hill and project zero/fatal frame real comfy like.

It has to be d-pad + Square though... I got mad as fuck when RE5 was analouge only and X to run. Fuckiny why give us the Classic RE controls in 5 if you are just gonna do this?

Anyway, im glad they left in d-pad + Square classic tank for REmake and hope to GOD they give me the option in REmake 2.

AND FOR FUCKSAKE CAPCUM DON'T SUDDENLY CHANGE RUN TO X OR CIRCLE OR WHATEVER THE FUCK.

>using James in your example and not Heather, for the purpose of... just to bring up Heather Mason really...

I think that If remake 2 is going to take the direction of the recent HD remakes of 0,1,then it will be fine.

Else, if they go for a re4 approach, they might actually fuck up the controls and everything

any news for the RE2 remake so far?

I don't have a problem with them. I think they work really well with fixed camera angles, which are also another thing a lot of people hate and I'm fine with.
It looks better and gives better atmosphere, you fuckers, why don't you understand this?

I think that this many years later, there's no excuse NOT to put alternate control options, RE1 had no analog though, so you were controlling the action with, essentially a SuperNES pad. THAT SAID; there always should have been a free-movement button built into the game even at the time with the choice of locking it on/off.

being older doesn't mean that you can't have shit taste.

they are for old men

Because you are not driving a fucking tank

Compare the RE1 movement to the DMC movement. There's you answer.

ITS ALMOST

HOLD ON

ITS ALMOST AS IF

JUST

ITS ALMOST AS IF RE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FUCKING DMC

But user, i hate it when dante suddenly runs in the other direction when a new fixed view comes in.

Also, we should all remember the playstation did not have the luxery of an analouge stick when 1 came out.

Does anyone else found the controls better on the keyboard? Turning those tight corners felt smooth as fuck using WASD. I'm talking about the original default controls, not the new scheme one

I can understand the frustration about not turning around quick enough, but I think the tradeoff - getting the tension of the camera angles + enemy placement - offers a unique enough experience to be worthwhile.

All in all I prefer variety in games rather than forcing things into homogeneous design choices. I think people miss that larger picture when talking about tank controls: they look at them in isolation, as opposed to what the game CAN do with them versus games that do not use them.

Deep Fear (sega saturn RE clone) constantly forces you to recalibrate your direction when going through its static camera angles (if you are using the 3D analog stick) Controlling THAT is a nightmare.

This assumes that all games need to have the same controls, or require the same types of control schemes.

You wouldn't complain about a platformer by saying "FPS controls are so more precise."

Because I'm controlling a person, not a tank.

I find d-pad better myself. I have begun to realize that i like the sqeeze of a controller in my hand.
Typing my movement feels to light, like trying to pick something up without using your thumbs.
I have been able to control RE tank well since i was like 9, so im not keen to make the change to KB now.

Because Cred Forums is full of casual retarded babies, that's why. They cannot fathom the notion that they must learn how to play and control a character. If you're not a literal retard with absolutely zero motor skills it takes all of five minutes to learn tank controls.

Then you have idiots like .

If tank controls are a problem to you, you are dumber than a child in the late 90s and I hope you are ashamed of yourself.

What d-dap? Playstation? Yeah, never had problem with it but for some reason kb clicked right away with me.
I wonder how playable it is with X360 shitty dpad.

I love controls in Dead Rising 1 and 2 cause I can exploit them to my advantages. It is just more gamey and fun.

I am certain that every mouthbreathing retard that complains about tank controls only tried playing them on a stick.

This.
Why is it when controls are concerned people always talk about Fps? Is this what other poeple mostly play these days??

When GTA V was re released i saw all mated go buy it again. They all said "games are always better in First person user." What the fuck, no they are not I think GTA V plays terribly because of this... You want to talk about outdated controls, why have i never played an FPS that can do a quick 180 turn??

Fug.

Cred Forums yet again fails to understand that not everything is black or white. There are godlike games with tank controls (Resident Evil 4, God Hand, Katamari) and there are bad games with tank controls (Bubsy 3D, Tomb Raider 1).

If you vehemently hate them, then you probably were introduced to a bad game, or you're just a narrow minded pleb.

Because it's unintuitive and not very practical.

However, most people that don't like this control scheme fail to see why it's just so goddamn good in a survival horror game.

Tank controls in (relatively) newer games like RE4 are tolerable. The ones in older games are unbearable.

>360 dpad. God im glad i never had to.

Yeah playstation. To this day i still play games like Resident evil Zero-4 with the d-pad. If there is no degree of movment then instant response to press is the only way. But i meed my hands to feel like im holding something not typing. I do enough of that at work.

Tank controls are totally fine as long as there is quickturn.

This. I bet they just end up colliding and skid running along walls all day, ere day. The fucking baboons.

Actually. REmake has the option for 360 movement and it's alot worse and makes the game far easier.

What makes you say that?

>Admit it, if you could play those older games with the freedom of 360° movement they would be more enoyable.

Extremely stupid argument because the older games were balanced around having tank controls. Modern control schemes would require remaking the game entirely from the ground up.

And yes, I am aware that REmake remaster did it. And it's a fucking mess.

>you'll never hold pride over your old control schemes trying to justify with pride and elitism
That said I didn't mind then when playing onimusha 2 or some fixed games , I just prefer analog especially with more fast paced games.

I don't hate tank controls, I hate fixed camera angles.
For most of my life I avoided consoles because console exclusives meant horrible horrible fixed camera angle designs.

People are too retarded to comprehend it. Most gamers are absolute shit at games. RE 4 and 5 have the same exact tank controls with the only difference being the camera perspective. Yet casuals didn't complain much because they weren't disoriented due to the camera.

The fact that tank controls with static camera is that difficult for many people is very telling on how awful your average casual pants shitter is at video games. Most people who buy games don't even actually beat most of their games anyways and this has been documented fact.

Even for story heavy games like the Mass Effect series you still have a very large percentage of players that don't even play to the end of the game.

Because most modern players don't understand why character oriented movement (tank controls) is better than camera oriented movement when you don't have control over the camera. Using the "modern" style in the REmake and 0 remasters is fucking awful. Sure if you don't change direction on the analog stick you don't change direction on a camera angle but if you NEED to move as soon as you move the stick your character starts jerking around like a fucking spaz.

Hell even RE 4 still had tank controls and nobody complained about that. The only difference was the camera was always behind your character (with very limited player control over it).

Tank controls are fine and anyone that complains about them now are probably too used to standardized 3D action game controls and can't take the time to understand an individual game's control scheme like you had to do for almost every game in the 90s-early 2000s.

This "might" be because most anons came into contact with these controls with games like RE4 for the first time. Probably use the sticks instead of d-pad im sure too.

Remember, there will be young fags who first started with RE at 5-Rev 2 that will say the same shit about RE4s old as tank contols beimg stupid, no move and fire.

I grew up fixed camera angles in RE. Played RE4 with a d-pad in 2005 when it cam out. Felt bretty gud. HOWEVER, after all this, i first played silent Hill 1 & 2 for the first time last year, and it was not a fucking problem. Felt comfy as fuck in fact. Started SH 2 just yesterday. Good shit.

This was only really a thing for the 5th gen. So I don't know what to say, unless "most of your life" encompassed... uh, the 5th gen.

Because if you're playing an FPS on a mouse and keyboard like you should be you don't need a 180 turn button.

Or just crank up the turn speed slider I guess.

Why is it good for survival horror games?

Age or what game first you play doesn't matter, it's just those people are retarded.
I played first RE5 on release date and then moved to classic RE on PS1 then the rest on Dreamcast and never had a problem.

Thats fine, until VR babbys come along and proclaim whatever "modern" control scheme you think has it down is called "pointless, dumb, i hate it" compared to waving their hands about or whatever.

static camera angles prevent the player from being comfortable with their surroundings

a loss of control over the player-character (this does not necessarily equate to "bad" control) simulates the helplessness and fumbling around the player would likely be doing in a similar situation, ie, it tenses you up.

It limits your capabilities, slows down the pace of the game, but also gives you great precision. It makes slow monsters viable.

Try playing RE4 with a mouse and keyboard and you will find that it's easy as fuck. It is balanced for a controller.

I'm so used to playing the PC versions of the original Resident Evil games that I forgot the original console versions had those minor freezes before camera angle changes.

RE-style survivor games (fixed camera angles) just wouldn't work with modern control schemes. Tank controls are the best for this. It's either this, or you get rid of the smart camera positioning like viewing your character outside the house and level designs subtleties like mirrors.

Plus this is entirely a matter of opinion but this is also good because you have limited freedom in your movements and aiming, making you feel opressed. Then again, other players will just be frustrated by this.

Because some people can't git gud.

But PC version has the same thing since it's the same game but on a different platform?

I disagree with this partially. It's kind of true at first, but once you get used to how tank controls work it's easy to move around the levels and dodge most of the enemies.

Tank controls are just overall superior in games with fixed camera angles.

Did you rike it user?

check out a video of RE2 on PC vs. Dreamcast or Playstation. the slowdowns are noticeably longer.

because they're fucking terrible for entities that are NOT TANKS

it's like configuring conventional memory in DOS to play a certain game

I guess some people feel nostalgic even about that shit, but I'm really fucking glad these things are gone.

I agree as well, I was sort of explaining the rationale behind them.

honestly, by the end of any Resi game you are zipping around the map with 40 more shotgun shells than you need, dodging all the zombies.

Because people can't git gud.

I never had a problem with tank controls beyond the 5-10 minutes it takes to initially familiarize yourself with them. Maybe it's because my first survival horror and Resident Evil was RE4, where the third-person, OTS camera made it easier to distinguish "Up = forward, left = turning left, right = turning right, back = moving backward."

But even after going back to play some of the classic RE games and other survival horror games, I never found it all that difficult to adjust to that control scheme. Hell if anything, I embrace it now, since those games were designed with tank controls in mind. It actually makes screen transitions all the easier. You ever try to play a game with a fixed camera perspective without tank controls? Suddenly screen transitions become all the more annoying and difficult.

fuck you, tim

Because people are bad at videogames now. They're not even that bad in resident evil for gods sake. I understood them in under 10 minutes when I was 12, the people bitching are literally fucking worse than 12 year olds at videogames, but this is Cred Forums so I'm not surprised. You fags would probably rather waggle wiimotes than take 10 mins to learn controls made to fit the game they're in.

You want bad fuckin tanky controls with no redeeming quality? Go look at monster hunter.

Because they're fucking shit.

Hey user, what controls do you like?
You better not say fps, because if you think tank controls are retarded i have news for you.
People do not run on a fowards, bacwards, strafe left, strafe right, SLOW TURN AROUND because no 180 quick turn, stick up their backside kind of basis with their fucking magic fire ice hands sticking out in front of them like they are grabbing air titties, ALL OF THE TIME.

More realistic and immersive my ass.

Actual artificial difficulty.

Because its basically RPG turnstyle stuff. Take time to back up, shoot, enemy gets too close, etc

>didn't complain much because they weren't disoriented due to the camera.

Yeah, the camera being behind your character is what made the controls easier. With the static camera angles you can see where your character is in the distance and hitting left on the dpad results in a different result that requires you to retrain your brain a little.

The faggots who can't deal with tank controls are the same morons who can't deal with DMC1 because jump is mapped to triangle. Basically it's people who are too dumb to make small adjustments in how they play a game.

It's because they can't adapt to new things, for them tank controls are something "new and alien" and instead of getting similar with it, they just complain about it proving they are disabled retards.

>mfw beside capcom hiring PT devs this is probably why RE7 is in first person, because these slobbering braindead CODtards dont know anything else.

I'm not even mad anymore to be honest, I gave up on capcom a while ago.

Nah I basically always prefer third-person because I want to see my character.

tank controls are good because when you hit left d-pad your character actually goes left, HIS left because the player is controlling HIM.
pic shows the way of thinking of new player and the reason why they find tank controls "bad"

I'm not only disappointed that RE7 is FPS but I also dislike the hillbilly setting, at least I hope they won't ruin REmake 2

Should I use k&m or controller for REmake?

You'd probably be way more comfortable with a controller.

They're fine and good for any fixed camera angle games. I tried playing the new REmake release with non tank controls and it was unplayable because camera angles kept switching

tank controls are really bad for dodging things and very unnatural-feeling for most players

I don't like it when games have them but it wouldn't keep me from playing the game

>tank controls are really bad for dodging things

>I understood them in under 10 minutes when I was 12

Not trying to brag but it only took me a minute to get the feel of the controls.

He's right though. It is possible to be very proficient at dodging things using tank controls, but more mobility = easier to dodge things.

You can't argue on that.

Depends on the game. Because when you make claims like that, you're implying that they're inherently bad for certain genres (like fast paced action games, perhaps?), which is simply untrue.

>makes the game easier
What's so bad about removing artificial difficulty?

I can't find a single example of a game with tank controls where the above statement is not true.

Because they're literally outdated, and have been since PS1.

Hence why Capcom updated and rerelased the game with the new, better, controls to reflect this.

They're "literally" outdated, you say? I bet you consider turn based games to be "literally outdated" as well, huh? Or 2D sidescrollers are "literally outdated". Or that black and white film and oil painting are outdated. It's a different flavor for a specific sort of design, and like everything if it is done well then it can be good and tank controls can have their own place.

tank controls have always been shit, get over it

>new, better controls
>your character goes apeshit when you change camera angles if you enter a new direction
>you're fucked if anything other than a basic zombie chases you

user.

Because they're shit.

>TANC CONTROLLS R BETTER 1 HUNDRID PERCENT OF THE TIEM HURPY DURPY DOO GIT LE GUD

kys with your shitty ad hom, beeyotch. When I walk, I dont just walk in a straight line and have to stop to fucking pivot.

>b-b-but muh simyoolashun uv helplisnis!

I dont care if Im in Furfag Fonzbear's Umbrella company or whatever, I would walk exactly the same. Maybe you should focus on fun gameplay instead of being an edgy wankfest for contrarion faggotrons, beeyotch

True tank controls are outdated. But semi tank controls like RE4 , REmasters new setup and SH2/3 are fine and not outdated. Because the latter still holds the originals thought in mind. Because you can't move and shoot you're forced to pick your timing and positioning well and this goes well with horror games by not allowing the player to feel too powerful.

However it takes a small amount of skill to get this through peoples heads. Not alot but a small amount which the average player nowadays does not have. They end up dying and screaming its not fair its "unrealistic".

RE has the worst tank controls, because control and camera never match. In the classic Tomb Raider games, the tank controls allow precise movement. It depends on the implementation

Who are you quoting?

Artificial difficulty.

People like them because they can jerk off about being hard core, in reality it was a temporary wobble on the path of 3D game development.
Take note that the previous generations didn't need bad controls to be hardcore.

>mfw I find tank controls easier to handle when the character is running

Every Reddit ass queer on MY board that thinks they're le 1337 hardcorps MLGpro for liking shitty controls.

>It's a different flavor for a specific sort of design, and like everything if it is done well then it can be good and tank controls can have their own place.

THIS

I don't defend a lot of old mechanics/design standards, but tank controls are not inherently shitty like you idiots blabber

>i'd rather have shitty controls instead of slightly easier difficulty

But you can in fixed camera user.

its all the other guys that you can't

previous generations, with the exception of Clock Tower (and Sweet Home I guess), didn't do survival horror.

And Clock Tower also removed direct control from the player, making things "awkward" when it came time to run away from Scissorman.

The people who made 0 and REmake are no longer at Capcom, you're getting the REvelations treatment.

But it's not that difficult user, thats what all the pro tanks are trying to say.

Tank controls are fine. You'd either have to be really bad at learning new controls or underage to hate them.

You are not saying the controls are the problem here user, you are saying the pre rendered fixed backrounds are.

Last night i played RE4, then a bit of RE2 and a bit of SH2. The thing that seperates RE2 is fixed camera angles. Infact, a mod i saw with fixed camera angles for RE4 made it look just like the classics.

BUT IT WAS NOT HARD user.

Im a bleb, but i can do them because i wantef to play scary vidya, and most scary vidya expected me to adapt, now i liek it.
I dont play much fps, so i think fps controls and persepective suck, i dont liek it. But would i be right to say, only elitist fps players play these for the sake of their e-peen? probably yes, i like to argue about trivial shit as do you

Nice ad hom.

Now kys