You don't still believe in kickstarter games anymore, do you user?

You don't still believe in kickstarter games anymore, do you user?

I do , I funded Blackawake,dual universe, batallion 1944. Theyre the current ones and I have done others previously

I have Kickstarted one thing in my whole life and it was some bad ass BBQ sauce. Wish I could get more.

That commenter is absolute right though. A lot of devs will ask for a fraction of the true cost of devving a game and then once their kickstarter is successful they'll use it as leverage when asking investors for serious cash.

Games are very very expensive to make. I have no idea what this game is but if it's from "MMOs.com" I'm assuming it's an MMO, which alone makes it stupid expensive in comparison to already expensive gamedev.

Consider this: 10 devs working for one year is about $1,000,000 of salary a year, not including rent for an office, bills, licensing, hardware to dev with, etc. That's only one year and only 10 devs. MMOs have to pump out content so in reality you need way more people.

They need to secure an investor first. The investor will look at the project and decide "Ok, if you can raise this much we'll match" so that way it's guaranteed. These guys did it backwards and hoped that having the money would prove the project is worth it.

Unfortunately in the real world this is how it works. Securing an investment is very difficult, because there's thousands of literally who devs to choose from. Or maybe they even did, and the investor for one reason or another pulled out.

We aren't on the team so all we can do is speculate. Any further discussion or argument is just shitposting and ignorance.

>Dev are paid 100 000$ a year.

Am I retarded or something?

An indie dev should not be making $100,000 a year. Half that sure.

Programmers for example or super valuable. If you're paying then less it's because they're in experienced college students or literally pajeets. In addition most game studios are in expensive to live areas such as LA. Living costs are much higher and so wages must be higher to compensation.

The only thing I've Kickstarted was Don Hertzfelt's bluray, which was fucking amazing.

Most true indie devs don't get paid, every bit of money they have go into the project to pay others for aspects of the game that they can't do.

See Dust: An Elysian Tail for example. Nigga was so strapped for cash he had to provide VO instead of hiring a voice actor.

Then don't setup your fledgling no name company in the most expensive city in the country. I have no sympathy for them running out of money because they wanted to live in fucking HipsterCity, USA.

>Devs should be eating ramen and collecting cans!!
Fucking Cred Forums

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs did it when they first started out. Why should these faggots get to be millionaires right from the get go?

They setup a company in these cities because that is where talent is located you mouth breathing retard. Nobody wants to live in these places but from the sheer number of people you have a greater pool of talented devs, than say hick town alabama where rent is cheaper.

Depends on what you mean by "dev".

I've worked in game development, our storyboard artists get paid about the equivalent of 50k USD a year, and only senior programmers and production managers make over 6 figures.

The lowest rung is QA, most new testers get paid minimum wage.

Live outside LA and commute. Not that fucking hard. Spend half as much and live in Burbank or somewhere similar.

>Eating ramen and collecting cans on a 50k salary

>They setup a company in these cities because that is where talent is located you mouth breathing retard

Don't fucking front, there is no talent in San Francisco.

Not to mention you get the same kind of "talent" for half the price in Austin.

Get fucked.

You're a moron. Steve Jobs paid people greats amount of money to make great things, see: Pixar.

Once bill gates was started up and had employees he paid them great salaries and they made great things in return.

Indie devs that are passion projects, yeah they start out not paying themselves anything. But once they are a studio and must hire employees they must pay a decent wage to get decent employees. Not literally everyone on the team owns a stake of a project.

Nigga I'm explaining how it works not arguing for or against it. Go send a letter to every dev on the planet and let them know.

>Once bill gates was started up

Exactly, that's where these people are now. They need to get a good product and make money before paying people 6 figures. I'm glad you agree with me.

If you live in San Fran that is extremely likely. I went on a conference there and remember paying upwards of $16-$20 for lunch in their deli's.

I backed the kickstatrer for OVERLOAD. It was a a descent clone made by the original creators of descent who had lost the licence. I backed it because a mate of mine would not stop harassing me about it. I was sure it would fail. It got backed. For my 15 bucks it's looking like they'll deliver a 20 buck "descent clone". I don't know whether to be happy or annoyed.

Out of the 12 kickstarters I've backed, they've all delivered, they only one that didn't give EXACTLY what they specified was a video game. That's a running trend I've found. The physical games I've backed have all delivered (albeit months late) but video games are unlikely to even get sen t out even in an alpha stage.

Mouth

Breathing

Retard

In a city like LA they might as well. You hire people who went to college in America typically, so they have massive amounts of debt and they're rent from living in the city is insane. $50k would be living paycheck to paycheck, if even that.

Living in that situation is stressful and you don't want stressed out content creators if you want a good game.

>A fucking kickstarted MMO
If you fell for the MMO meme and the Kickstarter meme at the same time, then you really have no fucking sympathy from me.

>Games are very very expensive to make.

If you are financially retarded.

No, they aren't. They got a kickstarter successful and are looking for investors judging from the OP. They're past that stage and need to hire employees to make their dream fame or whatever. It's much to large of a project to deal with alone.

You've either never had a job, never lived on your own in a city like LA, and clearly never ran a game studio. Please consider suicide.

really doubt a programmer or engineer of any level of expertise will be making a hundred grand a month on salary alone. Dividends if it's a small team, maybe, but not salaries.

Are you retarded? I said 100k a year not a month.

What are you getting riled over fuccboi, Austin has twice the number of game developers and publishers and isn't America's asshole.

And their F2P MMOs are still somehow less soulless and pretentious than the indie bullshit the talentless hacks and cucks in San Fran shits out.

San Fran hasn't been relevant since LucasArts pulled out. What do you have left now? Fucking 2K and Zynga.

He's right, game development isn't inherently expensive compared to marketing the game.

Idk why you're on about San Fran, I never even mentioned it. I specifically said "cities like LA" - expensive places to live with a shitload of people therefore a larger pool of talent. Pointing out an exact city is missing the point and being an asshole

I live in LA and all the retards saying you can't live comfortably off of a 50k salary are fucking retarded.

not that user, but $100,000 isn't that much money, with a million dollar budget you're more or less paying for hardware, leasing space, monthly bills, then wages and when it boils down to wages there's still taxes. A million dollars is fuck all considering the foreground of even hiring people to begin with.

So not only financially retarded but mentally, thanks for confirming everything friendo

Why don't games devs move to Mexico? With the bullshit freetrade agreements they could live in the US but claim their workstations and job centres are on the south side. Do they not want to be as obvious that they're just corporate leeches or what?

Game development is hugely expensive, but you bring up a good point. I didn't even think about marketing. Usually marketing alone overshadows the actual dev cost in terms of pure cash. It's insane how expensive it can be and usually indie studios overlook it and hope social media will pick it up.

If you have an American degree and therefore tons of debt you'll be living paycheck to paycheck. Especially doesn't help if the studio must be in a more expensive area to live, like near Santa Monica or something. Plus costs like a car, gas, etc if you want to live a bit farther for cheaper rent.

>Idk why you're on about San Fran

Of course you talk about San Fran if you're talking about game development. Also it shares the same problem of being expensive, just like LA.

I talk about San Fran because there sure aren't any indie developers in Orange County.

Holy shit Cred Forums is worse to developers than fucking EA apparently

>Let's pay content creators barely enough to live
>That will surely result in a great game, especially an MMO
Literally kill yourselves.

>10 devs working for one year is about $1,000,000 of salary a year
good one m8

You're delusional if you think otherwise, for reasons stated in the thread multiple times now.

Brah, you can still live comfortably here. This isn't a debate, I live here. 50k a year is perfectly fine

Nigga what are you linking me for, I'm pointing out people's retardation a about standard of living and salary

>Game development is hugely expensive

Again that is hugely variable. It really depends on several factors:

- The engine you license (Unreal costs a lot and Unity (or flash even) costs next to nothing)
- External talent (cinematics, voice-overs, keep in mind these are optional and often not present for most small titles)

Their lead dev may make that but the storyboard, artists, and QA people are not going to make anywhere near that.

I never did. The result is me getting a few great games while laughing at all the cucks who throw their money away on terrible projects or scams. Extra bonus if they make long winded damage control posts claiming that they don't regret their decision.

win-win

If you're not paying them a decent wage it's because they're not experienced enough to be working on an MMO. My point still stands.

And even then, if you wanted to be a fucking evil kike and paid everyone $50k you'd still need a fuckload of people since its an MMO. Reaching $3 million is easy.

Dude, you better stop now.

>If you're not paying them a decent wage it's because they're not experienced enough to be working on an MMO. My point still stands.

No it's because different jobs require different skills and thus get different rates of pay.

"Fuck why is my farm in the middle of the desert costing too much to maintain?! Better move to somewhere with better fresh water access!"

"FUCKING EA DRIVING FARMS OUT OF THE DESERT!"

As far as straw men go some Mexican guy could make it for you off the highway. It's still true.

>Volgarr
>Pillars of Eternity
>Shovel Knight
>Darkest Dungeon
>FTL

you also got games like hyper light drifter and superhot that are good if you didn't back them with high expectations.

also, yooka laylee is looking pretty good and la-mulana 2 is releasing spring 2017

>Consider this: 10 devs working for one year is about $1,000,000 of salary a year
f a m

Programming is a skill that takes years of experience to make the employee worth a damn, which is why its expensive to find good programmers. Artists that are actually good are few and far between which makes them valuable. 3d modelers that are good are the same.

You can't hire some Mexican off the street to make a decent game. How are you this delusional?

Tell me of your experience in the industry so I can laugh and point out how full of shit you are.

>Artists that are actually good are few and far between which makes them valuable

Grab any kid off of DA and pay them like $1000 and you're good.

how are people in this thread so fucking delusional? I mean look at this post

>indie dev 100k a year

Come on dude

I don't think you know how much $100,000 is or the value of labor

Kickstarter is the future user

>the only devs that will deliver

I've yet to give money on a game KS. I gave 10k to Little Witch 2 though.