This is a wrpg, not a jrpg

This is a wrpg, not a jrpg.

>Dark Souls is not a JRPG

I found this a curious statement and went to do some research on the matter.

Here's an excerpt I found from Wikipedia.

>While Western computer developers continued to explore the possibilities of real-time RPG gameplay to a limited extent,[12] Japanese developers, with their recently aroused interest in the RPG genre, created a new brand of action/RPG, combining the RPG genre with arcade-style action and action-adventure elements.[13][14] This trend of combining RPG elements with arcade-style action mechanics was popularized by The Tower of Druaga,[14] an arcade game released by Namco in June 1984. However, the company often considered the pioneer of the new action RPG genre is Nihon Falcom,[1] which produced the Dragon Slayer series and won its reputation as the progenitor of the action RPG genre.[15] Dragon Slayer was created by Yoshio Kiya,[16] who built on the action RPG elements of his previous game Panorama Toh,[11] as well as The Tower of Druaga.[14] Falcom's Dragon Slayer series abandoned the command-based battles of previous RPGs in favour of real-time hack-and-slash combat that requires direct input from the player, alongside puzzle-solving elements.[1] The original Dragon Slayer,[16] originally released for the PC-8801 computer in September 1984,[17] is often considered to be the first true action-RPG.

So the first true action-RPG was a japanese game.

There you have it folks, not only is Dark Souls a JRPG but by extension all action RPG's actually stem from and are influenced by japanese games like Dragon Slayer and Nihon Falcom

Westaboo status: BTFO

It's an arpg.

Objectively wrong

I'm sure we will have some quality discussion in this thread before the bump limit is reached.

>European Armor designs
>MUST BE A WRPG

>Japanese RPG is a genre
Fucking retards.

>wikipedia
here's your reply

This, look at any review before 2007 and you will see it's RPG and that's it.

aRPG*

If Souls are WRPGs then Dragon Quest and early Final Fantasy are also WRPGs.

>western RPG
>has many designs and themes from western fantasy

Retadd

Even if it was created by retarded journalists trying to kill japanese gaming, i like the distinction because it works in favor of jrpgs. Soon people will see wrpgs are all shallow shit with no gameplay.

What was the point in segregating East and the rest of the world?

I mean what were they thinking? Setting up a market monopoly controlled by western mega corps like EA?

Japan doesn't do business with them a lot.

>WRPG
>W
>made entirely in japan
just because west sucks and japan is making better rpgs using know concepts doesnt make it western
just because it doesnt have tipical anime style is not western
its like calling mass efect or dragon age japanese

It is neither.

what are you? a Kotaku journalist? a retard? a nu-male?

It is a term used to differentiate between western rpgs and japanese ones. JRPG= final fantasy, dragon quest, xenosaga and so on. Calling those games RPGs would make no sense since they are very different to baldurs gate and other wrpgs/crpgs.

More of an action game really. The rpg elements are shallow as fuck. Hit the soft cap in a couple stats and you're done.

It's neither, it has nothing to do with final fantasy and nothing to do with baldurs gate. It's an action RPG.

>implying being a Kotaku journalist, a retard, and a nu-male are mutually exclusive

wrpg and jrpg are a style and DS, though Japan made, definitely falls under western style.

Now, what are some American made jrpgs?