Real talk, how is Depression Quest? No shitty 2014 memes, actual discussion please

Real talk, how is Depression Quest? No shitty 2014 memes, actual discussion please.

Other urls found in this thread:

mit.itu.dk/ucs/cb_www/course.sml?course_id=1637608&mode=search&semester_id=1605898&lang=da&print_friendly_p=t&goto=1400084388.000
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's basically nothing

It's a "game" that tries to tackle depression via poor storytelling and a lack of understanding of depression.

Hahaha good luck

literally no one played it. i don't think the developer even played it because they'd have realized it was awful

wasn't it literally stop being sad and get over it the game?

I played it before the gamer gate shit and thought it was a fairly good representation of Depression but overall too short to really get the point across.

It's not good. Depression is much more in-depth, they didn't even try to tackle the beast.

Who do I trust?

Yes user, I'm being forced to write an essay about it this week as well. Stop asking Cred Forums to write your essay for you and suffer through it like the rest of us.

>this is a response to a thread about wanting to hear opinions

>forced to write an essay on Depression Quest
American education.

>and thought it was a fairly good representation of Depression

You're a fucking idiot who has never ever been in depression. Go fuck yourself you lying piece of shit.

It was released to cash in on Robin Williams' death, making it automatically shit.

This game once failed steam greenlit.

1/4

ZQ and her corrupted gaming journalists made shitload of articles about how wizards from wizardchan all went to steam to downvote her game to make it fail steam greenlit.

Wizards never did any of that sort. They don't even give a fuck about her powerpoint game.

Legitimately terrible both in storytelling and understanding of the entire subject matter it's based on. Worth a run though, if only so you can understand why it's so bad for yourself.

>Real talk, how is Depression Quest? No shitty 2014 memes, actual discussion please.
It's a text based story where your actions lead to consequences
It's like one of those choose your own adventure books but electronically
I can't really call it a game and it's just something that everyone should have ignored but because of the events that unfolded from it I no longer trust reviews and instead watch gameplay videos without trying to spoiler myself.

Never read it myself and wouldn't recommend since all the drama it caused

Because of her lies and corrupted gaming journalists articles, steam gave her game another chance. And tons of suckers gave it a positive vote out of pity.

She basically used wizards as scapegoat to get her game through the steam greenlit process.

Or maybe people have different experiences with depression you fag.

My doctor disagrees and so does wanting to kill myself 24/7 if I don't take my meds.

>It's a text based story where your actions lead to consequences

It isn't user. It just insults you here and there and then tells you to get over yourself. That's basically it. It isn't anything about real depression. It's a bunch of bullshit that doesn't help with depression at all.

> lying sjw detected

It absolutely fails to properly convey the real trials of having depression. Most of the multiple choice options amounted to "just stop being sad"

Its basically a game about what normal people think depression is like, but it fails in every aspect at showing the self-loathing, crippling hopelessness, and depths of despair that actual depression entails.

Unless this game has changed in the past couple of years, I'm pretty sure the game was mostly about how difficulty anxiety and decision making can be with depression. When faced with challenges and hard choices many depressed people shut down and take the path of least resistance. I don't remember it berating you for this, just being heavy handed with the "you can't choose to do the good things" bit.

retard

wow what a special snowflake

neck yourself faggot

N i c e r e t o r t

>It absolutely fails to properly convey the real trials of having depression. Most of the multiple choice options amounted to "just stop being sad"

THIS. And yes I've actually tried playing it but dropped it midway because of how much bullshit is in this. ZQ knows nothing about depression at all.

it just tells you to stop being sad, what game did you play?

Hi there, unbiased opinion coming through. I played the game before the whole GG shitstorm hit. As someone who played allot of text adventures, it popped up on my radar (before it came to steam, just as a webversion).
As a text adventure, it's extremely lackluster. It's basically a "pick your own adventure" book. You're presented with a paragraph about the life of some depressed person, and at the end of each scenario you can pick between a multiple choice of how to proceed.
Example:
>So depressed, can't watch tv, don't want to talk to GF
>option 1, talk to GF anyway
>option 2, go sleep
>option 3, get psychiatric help
Option 3 basically comes in some form at every point where you get a "choice" in the story, but it's always greyed out, because muh depression can't get help.
tl;dr version, it's shit as a text adventure. It's shit as a choose your own adventure book. It's shit, uncompelling, and hardly passes as a game.

>I'm pretty sure the game was mostly about how difficulty anxiety and decision making can be with depression.

Hells nah. It's just tells you to get over yourself and that's about it.

Insulting.

it's a twine game with little choice

That's not depression. That's what idiots THINK is depression. While it affects everyone differently, Suicidal thoughts are not a diagnosed part of depression. That a whole other barrel of psychopathy.

So no, please do go and kill your self you liar.

t. sad because I'm single

The game is shit per-se. It just boosted all the cringe shitposting of the """""""author""""""" and made it famous.
Without all the general coverage around that you wouldnt even know this game.

All GaryGlitter memes aside
The game is free, that means you cant really complain that its shit or not.

It's a game that tries to tackle depression from the point of view of someone that says they have depression on social media

t. someone actually on meds for chronic depression

>tfw I tried this before it was a meme
>tfw even then I thought it was shit.

this

What Freudian mindscape did you pull that from?

Sounds to me like you are tired of people calling you on your fake illness and I just reminded you why you can make friends.

played it long before it blew up and it was boring and all the anons did was make fun about the retarded choices

I've probably been struggling with depression longer than you've been alive you millennial sheep

How about I tell you that I'm going to mail you some playdoh for free and I mail you literal feces instead.
BUT HEY YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN IT'S FREE

Depression isn't real. Grow up and get over whatever is making you sad.

>struggling

not him. but you haven't been struggling with it. you surrendered long ago and use it as an excuse for your lack of effort

This. Once Donald Trump finally becomes president we can finally gas all these mentally disabled people

that's true yeah

Its just bad in about every way

I can't think of a single redeeming thing about it

Firstly no you haven't, secondly, the simple way you type give you away as the millennial you seem to be afraid of realizing you are. Thirdly The irony in your statement is palpable.

Here I'll spell it easy for you as we all know who the "millennial" really is.

>I have depresion
>even though I know non of the symptoms
>I think DQ acuratly represents it lol
>I defiantly didn't get 3rd in line to fuck Zoe today to shill the game.

That's how I know your full of shit.

No it's not, you don't have depression.

I'm betting you were told you have ADD and fragile skin too?

then what is this feeling of constant mental anguish, deep, unending sadness, and constantly urge to kill myself that all go away when I take antidepressants, Mr. Doctorate program.

I'm actually dating someone with depression

It's two months in and I can't handle it, what do I do? She blames herself for everything.

long story long cat

sounds like 'I need more attention' Syndrome

depression and anger are the exact same thing. the only difference is the energy level

Cum in her mouth.

>depression and anger are the exact same thing. the only difference is the energy level

thanks for the laugh mate now I know you do have some mental deficiency even if it isn't depression.

A newgrounds tier game that you would probably find, play, and be over with in less that 5 minutes and never think about again. The fact that this got any press is bullshit.

Mind break her with your dick intill she doesn't have any other thought but your dick.

Depression fixed

>American education.
Americans would probably be asked to write a response to Burgertime, this is probably Eurofaggotry.

Depression isn't really sadness or despair, it's nothingness. Also, we know fuckall about what antidepressants actually do on the brain, all we know is that it affects enough of the shit we care to treat as far as symptoms go to use them.

Being simply sad, usually brought on by living a life in which everything is handed to you. You will feel like you have and never will achieve anything as you know you won't ever be able to do anything your self.

Basically I'm saying nice google list you posted there. Depression and suicide are combined by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

You are aware that most modern anti-depressants don't do anything right?

In addition to this you most likely are simply an idiot who is self diagnosed, buying over the counter drug in hopes that people just notice you because you are an "of so good person, better than those douche-bag chads that girls like."

Please fuck off and stop listing to shitty music, cut your hair, stop arguing with everyone and do some fucking work and you will be fine. Because you know...

>I totally have dupreshun guis!

how am i wrong?

Your not, Z0E just doesn't like being called on her/it's shit.

It got lots of positive reviews. I'd show them to you, but I can't find them for some reason. Which is odd, considering how many people were angry about the game being given positive reviews. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

:^)

It's just boring. There isn't really anything redeeming about it besides it bringing more attention to depression as an issue.

>Please fuck off and stop listing to shitty music, cut your hair, stop arguing with everyone and do some fucking work and you will be fine.

Not him, but I actually don't think you know how to handle somebody with depression. The whole, 'just do shit, get over it,' thing is like yelling at someone without water to put out a fire with water. They know the solution, but they cannot access it.

>Not him, but I actually don't think you know how to handle somebody with depression.

That's the point, He doesn't have depression... He's a liar...

I haven't followed the entire conversation, I was just responding to what he said.

Nope, I'm American. This is how it went:

>got an internship at a game company last year in QA
>they read my QA write-ups and asked me if I always wrote that way
>when I said yes, they told me that they'd want me in a paid mentorship under their lead writer
>I told my boss that my parents were making me go to college, and so he recommended that I go to the one school that lets you major in game writing
>I get here, and even though the school is super well-established and prestigious, my classes are a fucking mess (though honestly I can't really blame them since the course is so new)
>my programming intro class is being taught by a guy who has never taught newbies before
>my calc professor outright denies the existence of learning disorders, and I have dyscalculia (I'm pretty sure the school would be fucked if word got out that they've repeatedly violated ADA even after I provided medical forms from my doctor)
>this is the first semester that my "writing for the screen" class has ever been taught here, so the syllabus keeps getting updated without warning between classes since it's still being tweaked
>my major requires that I take a class called "History and Culture of Games", which is exactly what you'd think it is - but worse. We've spent maybe 20% of the time at most learning about the history of play, and the other 80% talking about identity politics (pic related, it's our syllabus' outline of this week)

At least I met a really cute Japanese girl who I'm now dating and making games with.

What state?

I'm not about to give Cred Forums my exact location, but I'll at least give my general region. I'm from the mid-Atlantic region of the East Coast, and I'm attending a college in what I would consider New England.

holy fucking shit

Honestly it's just another boring indie title trying to be deep. Watch it on YT instead of wasting your money on it, you won't miss much.

What is Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

what university?

Honestly the "History" class is one that I mind less. The professor might be someone I heavily disagree with, bit he is undeinably knowledgeable of his field, and he's super respectful about our difference in perspective. Plus, it's sort of fun to be the only one in the room with the balls to disagree with the professor. Not to mention that me and my gf get to make fun of the more outrageous elements of sociology. My calc course is the one that I've really had trouble dealing with, but that's more for the medical/legal reasons that I mentioned.

What makes you think that?

That's Hilary's plan
Don't you read?

You're lucky, a lot of those types would try to sabotage your career for disagreeing with them

My advice: just put up with the bullshit for now and throw it out the window when you graduate.

You gave the name of a class that literally one school teaches.
A school kind of in New England.
It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out.

Reminds me of my computer games culture class.

It was supposed to be about communities and all kinds of interesting shit, but they changed it so we only talk about Class, Gender and race.

It's so fucked man i feel you.

no, it was keep enabling it then blame your family and friends the game

Honestly talking about economic class - briefly, at least - is something that I can KIND OF understand, since vidya can be expensive to some people. It's still bullshit to shove it into a gaming course, though.

Nu-Cred Forums is real

Unhelpful.

>somewhat functional
>go to work out of necessity, if I don't have work for a day or two I'll stay up until 3-5 am and wake up around 1-3pm
>no motivation to play video games, watch movies/tv, or even clean unless I need to
>eat when hungry
>spending money is all over the place, either buy a bunch of shit that I don't need, or I buy nothing but what I need
>abuse weed/alcohol to feel better
>feel like I've been living in a fog every now and again, like I wake up for a few minutes then go back into the fog

>but sometimes it all goes away for a bit, I get shit done and get more sociable at work
>currently in one of those times
>don't know if I've gotten better or each manic/depressive stage is getting worse. Higher highs and lower lows.

I can tell they really fucked you up in the head because you capitalized "class" and "gender" as if they were proper nouns. This shit is drilled into your head now.

Expand on the communities and all kinds of interesting shit part. I'm curious.

this

this right here is the class i signed up for

mit.itu.dk/ucs/cb_www/course.sml?course_id=1637608&mode=search&semester_id=1605898&lang=da&print_friendly_p=t&goto=1400084388.000

But they changed it so its ONLY about Class, Gender and Race/colonialism. Every time the teacher talks or the text we read the only thing that pops into my mind is "What does this have to do with video games?"

The one of the first things the teacher highlighted in class was how racist Resident Evil 5 was, so i was super dumbfounded.

>Ugh, you gave me a plate of literal shit
>"WELL ITS A FREE LUNCH, YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN"

The game is on par with something you would play and finish on Newgrounds in 15 minutes in 2004 and forget about

Also the creator is a purple-haired former webcam model that is also kind of a terrible person