So i'm playing through the Mass Effect trilogy right now for the first time

So i'm playing through the Mass Effect trilogy right now for the first time.

At ME2 right now, why is this series hated again? It's a competently written Sci Fi RPG in a genre dominated by nothing but High Fantasy shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3lLKm7lU4vI&list=PL3d-5REb9KLy-DHk7UeOBSo_UM04w3L_o
youtube.com/watch?v=Io2sCzqXfaA&list=PL3d-5REb9KLy-DHk7UeOBSo_UM04w3L_o&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=bRNG4Lhbj4k
youtube.com/watch?v=CZgwOyEU6TU
youtube.com/watch?v=1qgjrQPuX9M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>why is this series hated again

It's not, don't ever late Cred Forums cloud your perceptions of reality.

As for why it's hated on Cred Forums, it became popular. That's literally it. See Witcher 3 for a more recent example of a game getting shat on by Cred Forums after it became popular.

>ME2 and 3
>competently written

I enjoyed the whole saga, but i could be better.
3 is a casualfest, and you'll come to realize that nothing you did in 100+h of gameplay matters

So much FUCKING this

It is universally known and acknowledged that the series is well written and Bioware where is renowned for their compelling narratives/dialogue

Fuck off back to your own deluded warped reality

>>As for why it's hated on Cred Forums, it became popular.

Yep.

I still remember the non-stop generals Cred Forums used to have for ME2.

Nothing wrong with it.
Then ending of mass effect 3 was hated because it was bold and daring and clever, the masses don't like masses don't like anything too clever and the ending to ME3 was just a bit too high brow for them.

ME3 is the only one I'd consider to be bad, 1 and 2 are both great and don't let Cred Forums tell you otherwise.

The fucked the series up after 1.
Should've expanded on the RPG elements and planet exploring WITH the mako and facilities.

I HATED harvest planets in ME2. I hated the UI. I hated the skills. I played it for the Story and got shat on with the ending.

I fucking love ME1 though.

Because it's not an RPG anymore

Where did I say ME3 and what about ME2s writing was bad? The humanizing of Cerberus was great, each squad mate were some of the best written squad mates i've seen in a game (especially compared to Biowares older RPGs like KOTOR, Baldur's Gate etc) and Garrus/Liara's character development from ME1 to ME2 was absolutely superb.

This is what gets me about Cred Forums. They shit on games that always go for "Le save da Galaxy" plot lines but completely shit on ME2 from straying away from that ark and focusing on a more personal (in writing structure, not literally) and smaller scaled story telling that focuses more on character development than some grandiose epic battle.

ME2 was the perfect sequel, it allowed you to venture into the Mass Effect universe once more with Shepard so you can further carry on the player investment that would have made ME3 feel more impactful had ME3 not ended in such a train-wreck like manner.

>Fuck off back to your own deluded warped reality
Oh the irony

Me1 was ok, Mako sections were incredibly bad and boring though.
Me2 was great.
Me3 had best gameplay and the ending made me never replay the series again because whenever I consider playing I think "so everything im doing works towards THAT ending"

> It's a competently written Sci Fi RPG
Yeah in ME1.

In ME2 the quality declines. In ME3 it takes a nosedive.

>competently written

Boy I sure do like constant retconning and awkwardly done fanservice.

2 is gay
1 was better

I see this kind of thread all the time and there's a simple answer to why games like ME2 and ME3 are disliked: they took a completely different direction quality wise and thematically that is plain obvious to see if you didn't just bumble through the first game.

Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the gameplay being fucking shallow garbage and the developers focusing entirely on the pretty graffix and presentation. Nope, it's because it's popular!

t. ME1cuck who's still mad that Mass Effect 2 is universally praised as the peak of the series

The Bioware shills are out in force lately

>clever ending

It's a poor ripoff of the already bad ending seen in deus ex, but instead of performing a specific action you just had to pick the fucking color, all of which bring to the same conclusion.

I disliked how they "fixed" the problems of the first game in the second. Mako controlled like ass? Lol just remove it
Inventory was a clusterfuck? Lol just remove almost all of the items
Also thermal clips and universal cooldown. Just why?

What about ME1 was better written than ME2? Virtually every character in ME2 that returned was better written. Liara, Garrus, all came across as some naive idiots whereas in ME2 they actually developed beyond being "Shepards lap dogs" and formed into their own unique identities.

Not one bit of writing in ME1 was better than ME2, not one.

Yah it was the epic struggle that in the end no matter what you did you're fucked.
Literally epic.

1 is great.
2 is the best.
3 was pretty ok until that bullshit ending.

imo

>At ME2 right now, why is this series hated again? It

You will find out exactly 10 minutes before the end of ME3

ME2 was a shite installation that felt like an awkward and completely unnecessary detour. It was so character-focused but all of those new characters fuck off in the next game anyway so what was the point?

Go on, tell me the RPGs you like.

1 & 2 are god tier but now that 3 is a confirmed pile of shit it's hard to go back to the first two knowing what they will become.

Kinda like trying to watch the original 6 Star Wars film after watching the trainwreck that is TFA.

The main issue with the game itself is that it by and large dropped any sense of RPG and became Da Shootins Game (Wif Some Choices).

Meanwhile the story was completely pointless and served zero purpose in the series as a whole. Killing and reviving Shepard in the first 10 minutes of the game made no sense, the whole big team you assemble doesn't stick with you because they can possibly all die in the Suicide Mission, and the whole "They're making Reapers!" thing never returns or really comes up again, and the DLC with stopping the Reapers from being able to warp into the galaxy was also pointless because the actual Reapers just show up in 3 anyway.

That and it has some of the most insultingly hamfisted and shallow reasoning I've ever seen in a video game for the sake of changing or introducing a mechanic, bringing in the whole ammo system.

>ME2 was a shite installation that felt like an awkward and completely unnecessary detour. It was so character-focused but all of those new characters fuck off in the next game anyway so what was the point?

How could ME2 feel like an unncessary detour when ME3 wasn't released yet? You wouldn't know that the characters fucked off in the next game. Fucking idiot

>Implying ME2 wasn't just Daddy Issues: the game

Honestly, though this series is up its own ass a lot of the time, the ending of ME3 is the only glaringly terrible major plot moment. But the problem is the fact that it basically destroys everything that came before it. Nobody wants to replay a trilogy when they know that they're working towards an incredibly flaccid ending that takes nothing from the games into account but the color you choose.

neptunia

> Killing and reviving Shepard in the first 10 minutes of the game made no sense,

Except it totally made sense and was a genius narrative tool used to not only allow newcomers to enter the series and meet a brand new cast of characters (Cerberus) but it also allowed prior characters from the first game to develop actual personalities and lives outside of Shepard.with minimal effort on Biowares part. It was a stealth time skip that made sense.

I keep seeing this (only on Cred Forums obviously, virtually nowhere else brings up this retarded criticism) but it's just absolutely false. Shit on Biowares incompetent writing all you want, I agree on most of it (Post ME2 Bioware) but killing Shepard off was a stroke of genius on their part.

First ME was okay - solid 8/10 game.

Second was mediocre - sure, it had actions and such, but RPG elements, except for dialogues, were reduced and equipment limited. Whole game was pretty pointless story-wise, when compared to the rest of series.

I cant say anything about third game, since I refuse to install EA Origin, only saw maximum ugly screenshoots and video of Joker wanting to bang ship in robot form, which was enough to doubt quality.

Cred Forums got burned on this series like none since. It was the promised game series that everybody wanted. Finally a real sci-fi series with a great setting, good characters and lore, and palatable gameplay all mixed together. It showed so much promise.

And then the ending happened. Left such a bad taste in our collective mouths love instantly turned to bitter, slow burning hate.

that's pretty much what I think too.

>got shat on with the ending.
confirmed for killing everyone in the suicide mission
buy ship parts and do loyalty missions, faggot

Mass Effect 1 was great.

Let me count the ways 2 managed to infuriate me:

>Oh, you liked your party in ME1? Well, sucks to be you, we'll give you back Garrus and no one else.

>Wow that Illusive man is obviously shady and up to something. Too bad there's fucking nothing you can do about it.

>Being resurrected after what happens at game start is fucking ridiculous, even by crazy sci-fi standards

>I liked weapon cooldowns, so sue me

>If you want people to survive the Suicide mission, you have to spend ungodly amounts of time in the most boring mini-game ever conceived. The game literally spites you for avoiding something you don't enjoy.

>2 begins the casual shitfest
>its the best
The writing wasn't superior in ME1 but you gotta be fucking kidding yourself with your little shitter opinion if you want to tell me that me2 was better than one
Fucking garbo dude get out
furreal tho senpai me1 was pretty good gameplay-wise compared to literally the other two shit casual fests
>/thread me mad about guns becoming UPGRADES instead of loot
killyourself fucklord

Cred Forums doesn't this.

When both ME1 and ME2 both came out this place loved both games. Then Bioware started pandering to girl gamers and the LGBT crowd, and Cred Forums basically said everything Bioware ever made sucked. The same thing is happening to CDPR. As they focus more and more on consoles, this board is saying they suck more and more each year.

>Star Wars Prequels
>Good

It's almost like Mass Effect 3 has been out for years and I can make a judgement of the second game in retrospect keeping in mind its function as the middle section of a singular narrative that spans three games.

When ME2 came out I was thrown because I had no idea why nobody gave a shit about me suddenly going from a high ranking military officer to a terrorist (especially since I had the background where Cerberus killed my squad with Thresher Maws) but whatever I rolled with it. After the fact it felt like something that would be more suited to be a DLC.

tali is there too, retard and also the humans in mass effect 1 were boring as shit

Jacob & Miranda > Kaidan & ashley

ME1 had better world building and plot shit, but it suffered from the characters being nothing more than backup and talking codex entries. ME2 had better characters, but most of them were only in ME3 for a little while so it didn't matter as much.

The main story was better and the music.....that was it. ME2 is overall the better game.

Gameplay is better.
Characters are better.
Classes are better.

>end of ME1: the reapers are coming
>end of ME2: the reapers are coming
>ME3: well shit maybe we should have done something in the previous game instead of killing a bunch of random bugs and a terminator rip-off.

Eh, probably my favorite RPG series because it was finally an RPG set outside of Tolkien tier High Fantasy trash.

Sadly, as somebody who also played Baldur's Gate, Planescape and all the """""""hardcore"""""""" (or should I say, mechanically bloated and dated RPGs) games from decades back, it is definitely a product of Modern times. The "casualization" is there, but I don't think Bioware cares. This wasn't meant to be Baldur's Gate. This was a Sci Fi epic with an already established protagonist at the lead.

It's got its markings of EA, it's got its markings of modern game design but it's still a Sci Fi RPGs and one with a surprisingly excellent and entirely original lore. The characters were also some of Biowares best, most notably Garrus, Wrex, Thane and eventually Liara/Tali. All had depth to them, depth missing from most Bioware games like Baldur's Gate for example.

It was a great game and a great series, sadly it ended on one of the most disappointing notes I can remember but in saying that, nobody feels disappointed when a shit series has a poor ending, people only feel disappointed when a great series has a poor ending.

ME2 > ME1 > ME3 imo

>jacob
>more interesting than anyone

Ashley was a space racist with a heart of gold and Kaidan was boring as fuck in ME1 beyond giving everyone flashbacks to Carth but at least he had more going for him than being Black Guy with Absent Father.

Quality rebuke

I'm saying ME2s writing was absolutely better than one. The entire Shadow Broker sub-plot shits on anything in Mass Effect 1. You're the one kidding yourself if you claim otherwise.

Kinda miss Cred Forums circa 2010 when there were non-stop ME threads and endless hype/speculation regarding 3...

If only we knew what was to come

Personally, I just didn't like the tonal shift or the "style over sense" writing.

The first game was a simple light space opera. Your character isn't particularly special, just competent and in the wrong place at the wrong time. Gameplay mechanics were a little basic but the story was compelling enough to keep me playing. I think the only thing I really hated about the game was Joker.

The sequel threw away everything established by the first game away. You now are special, in fact you are so special the whole universe is doomed without you. They don't really explain why, you just are. Despite having earned a prestigious position in both the alien council and the human fleet in the previous game you are required to work with a secretive rebellious organization and a bunch of edgelords to scrape together resources because... well, because that's what the writer wanted and you just accept it. The game goes on and on about how you are on a suicide mission and how important an idea that is but the opening cutscene is literally your character being resurrected, kind of undermines the whole "suicide mission" thing. The whole game is filled with silly "cool" shit that isn't anywhere near cool enough to ignore how poorly written it is. Oh, and they brought back Joker who I refuse to believe is really a "fan favourite."

Yep. Fuck ME2.

All the humans in the series were boring as fuck, except Zaeed. Yet Bioware keeps shoving humanity at us.

As a series it's not collectively hated. The third game is a different story, however. The ending, the side missions, "DUDE SPACE NINJAS LMAO!", ignoring one of the most "important" decisions in the trilogy, the shitty day 1 DLC practices... ME3 had like 3 good moments in its campaign, and a decent multiplayer mode. That's it.

>I had no idea why nobody gave a shit about me suddenly going from a high ranking military officer to a terrorist

Except people do? What are you even talking about? Did you miss the entire meeting with the Alliance when you get to the citadel?

Are you talking about when Aria says "Omega doesn't care about you"? Because why would a crime riddled shit hole care about some Spectre who's meant to be 2 years dead?

>not liking jacob
>not making a femshep and getting BLACKED by jacob and then getting dumped on in me3
shit taste

me1 was pretty good with quite a bit of effort put into it
>codex about a planet with huge crater in its southern hemisphere
>land on its moon
>you can see the crater

me2 tried. squadmates commenting on you losing shields. commanding them to change weapons makes shep give them voice commands. sheps grunts of pain when hit as well as commenting on losing all shields.
still quite the few bugs and lazy shit
>stuck in the ceiling after charging
>only a few skyboxes no more unique shit
>interactions not triggering

me3 didn't even try anymore
>squadmates rarely respond
>no more action from shep
>buggy cahracters and animations

>The sequel threw away everything established by the first game away. You now are special, in fact you are so special the whole universe is doomed without you.

Hahaha, what the fuck are you talking about?

Are you seriously implying that ME1 wasn't "the whole universe is doomed without you"?

Holy shit, this is why I can't argue with you ME1 autists. You are so oblivious and ironic in your criticisms that it just becomes satire.

me2 is one of my all time favorites
me1 had a better story, but what ruined it for me was completely broken gameplay, copypasted enviroments in sidequests and some other stuff that feel like the game is in pre-alpha

>reading comprehension
ur kidding yourself trash ass with your ass trash opinion that kanned into even understanding what im fucking saying you fuck ass
Listen. ME1 writing was shit but im not reading a fucking book here DUMB ASS im heer playing a fucking video game and i want quality content.
If you want to tell me that all i have to do is right the best god damn space fantasy space alien space banger simulator sqript pertaining to some trash ass side quest i didnt want to to do because of an objectively shit game you can fuck off with your cucked out opinion fuck lord
handle the banter or go back to fucking

> You now are special, in fact you are so special the whole universe is doomed without you.

You literally described the entirety of Mass Effect 1. In fact, i'm questioning if your entire post is even criticising Mass Effect 2 at all.

Mass Effect 2 was the only game in the series to actually not make Shepard some god-like figure, Omega didn't care about you, shit, even the Citadel didn't really care about you. Your squad mates had all moved on.

how the fuck did you squized 450 hours from ME2? i mean, by replaying it 3 times you get, 100, 150 hours top if you are a complete autist
Does it have any mods?

>implying me1 doesnt make you a special galaxy saving snowflake right at the beginning of the game

the prologue is literally you getting all the collective knowledge of the protheans, meaning you're the only one that knows about Ilos and the Conduit.

I think he's saying that in ME1, it's not that the galaxy is relying solely on Shepard's innate talent. He just happened to be "at the wrong place, at the wrong time" so he found out about Saren's bullshit.

Whereas in ME2/ME3, Shepard is considered somehow inherently special, and there's no way the galaxy can make it through the fight if it isn't specifically him and only him that leads the way.

>finally an RPG set outside of Tolkien tier High Fantasy trash
you need to be 18 and over to post here

> it's not that the galaxy is relying solely on Shepard's innate talent.

Except it literally is, holy shit, did you even play the game?

Nobody even believes you when you first bring up Saren, nobody believes you when you talk about the conduit or the reaper.

Mass Effect 1 is hilariously worse in that regard than Mass Effect 2, how the fuck can you guys use the "I didn't like Mass Effect 2 because it made Shepard out to be special" when that was even more prevalent in Mass Effect 1?

enjoy your VACation trash box

/thread

you need to be born to be traded into the sex slave trade scumfuck rock 'n' roll GG allen did nothing wrong go fuck your younger siblings yuo 'adult'

>adult

It's not, the third game is hated and for a good reason, it's full of emotional baits that you'd expect to see on clickbait articles and shits on the rest of the series. The only good thing about it is the multiplayer.

What? The entire game revolves around Shepard being the only one who can stop Soverign and Saren. Are you seriously implying that ME2 is worse in this regard?

>Whereas in ME2/ME3, Shepard is considered somehow inherently special, and there's no way the galaxy can make it through the fight if it isn't specifically him and only him that leads the way.

Yes, because in Mass Effect 1 he was the only one who managed to stop Soverign and Saren, the shit tier "Mary Sue" writing of Shepard in mass Effect 1 is exactly why he carries on being a Mary Sue in ME2 and ME3, if anything Mass Effect 2 toned it down a bit.

Hey user, I did the same as you recently. Never played them before, bought the trilogy, and just finished it about 2 weeks ago.

The third game did really put a sour in your mouth on the series. The combat was good in it, but literally everything else like side quests and the ending was pretty bad. I really did like the outcome of the genophage and geth situations though

I don't need to rebuke a point that makes no sense.
>not only allow newcomers to enter the series
Recapping through dialogue is entirely possible and doesn't involve making the main character survive orbital reentry. KotOR 2 for example did this and it ended up being just fine.

>meet a brand new cast of characters
You mean something that would have been possible anyways because Shepard is a Spectre and has free reign over where he goes and who he interacts with?

>also allowed prior characters from the first game to develop actual personalities and lives outside of Shepard
You mean something that ME1 already established?

As I said, ME1 was about how you just happened to be in the right place at the right time to accidentally discover the threat and work the problem.

ME2 has them literally bringing you back from the dead because apparently there is not a single other person in the entire galaxy who can deal with the reaper threat even though the secret about the reapers is out and now it's just down to investigation and preparation. What made Shepard "special" in ME1 is now moot, there's no reason for him to be "the chosen one" in ME2.

It's a matter a plausible rationale within the narrative, ME2 fails abysmally.

maybe ive idled some hours when i had broken esc button and was alt-tabbing games
but still i replayed me2 a lot and still replaying it once a year

ME1 is a classic. ME2 is excellent, but the story takes a nosedive. ME3 has a good multiplayer, but is really disappointing as an ending.

>Except it literally is, holy shit, did you even play the game?
Listen man, you can either chill or I'm out. I'm just trying to have a discussion about stuff that interests me, but this isn't serious enough for me to sit here and be berated by you over some as small as this. If I missed a detail, then that doesn't shock me since it's been probably 3-5 years since I last played the game.

>Nobody even believes you when you first bring up Saren, nobody believes you when you talk about the conduit or the reaper.

I'm not sure that's relevant to the point. The point is that if someone were to replace Shepard at the Prothean beacon, they'd supposedly have gone through the same fight. They'd have done the same things, and nobody in-game was implying that it was solely because Shepard was innately special that he'd accomplished his task, as far as I can recall.

Compare that to ME2/3, where both IM and the Reapers specifically seek out Shepard because he's considered a war turning asset. Alone. Just him.

ME1 gets worse and worse the more I play it, ME2 gets better, ME3 is about the same.

>I don't need to rebuke a point that makes no sense.
You do need to explain what didn't make sense though.

>Recapping through dialogue is entirely possible and doesn't involve making the main character survive orbital reentry. KotOR 2 for example did this and it ended up being just fine.
Oh, you're an Obsidirone. I should have known, KOTOR 2 was unfinished buggy trash.

>You mean something that would have been possible anyways because Shepard is a Spectre and has free reign over where he goes and who he interacts with?

They worked with Cerberus, Shepard would never even give Cerberus the time of day had they not repaired him and literally brought him back to life.

>You mean something that ME1 already established?

Did you even play ME1? How can you even claim that Tali, Liara and even Garrus are even remotely similar to their Mass Effect 2 counter parts? Garrus goes from some honorable C-Sec drop out to a fucking Bounty Hunter of sorts holding off entire Merc groups out to kill him, Liara is on a personal mission of finding the Shadow Broker and has also grown significantly less naive than her ridiculously cringe worthy ME1 counter part and Tali finally has a backbone and clear goal (finding out more about the Geth) instead of being some space gypsy.

You're doing what 99% of people on Cred Forums do. You make some bullshit blank statement "hurr, Shepard didn't need to die" but when presented with clear reasons why it was a good thing it happened (i.e Allows a 2 year time skip, allows new characters to enter the series without feeling like a cop out and gives Shepard a clear reason to interact and even side with a previously demonized faction ) you start tripping over yourselves by saying "oh Well, I didn't like how it was handled because of reasons".

Fuck outta here faggot

>c-sec officer doesn't really give a fuck and even keeps your status as dead if you ask him
>the council is cool with you being a spectre again despite your clear ties with a terrorist organization as long as you stay in the terminus systems
>admiral hackett doesn't seem to give a fuck and denies the one request to have you brought in for questioning
>everyone in the damn galaxy has your email

The only people who actually give a damn are Tali and Jack since Cerberus fucked them over personally and even they drop it after a while.

>there is not a single other person in the entire galaxy who can deal with the reaper threat

but its been said in me2 that after shepdards death alliance didnt give a fuck about reapers/collectors

lol

>if someone were to replace Shepard at the Prothean beacon, they'd supposedly have gone through the same fight
It was pretty specifically stated right afterward that it probably would have killed anyone else, and Liara confirms when she joins.

>Reading post with lots of replies, gotta be something triggering people
>"hates joker"
>that's gotta be it
>None of the replies dispute this.

Why, Joker's decent enough; when I wanted a brief laugh I'd head to the cockpit. His entire character became boning a robot in ME3 though so that I can understand.

>Citadel in ME1: A vast, spacious level with no loading screens, with music changing depending on which part you explored, and great bants between characters in elevators (which were never buggy for me); a place where you could spend hours just walking around, listening to the soundtrack and generally being awed by what you saw
>Citadel in ME2: A fucking corridor

>ME2 has them literally bringing you back from the dead because apparently there is not a single other person in the entire galaxy

Yes, they bring you back to life BECAUSE of how much of a faggot Mary Sue Shepard was in the first game, what about that don't you get?

Shepard was this god like figure who managed to get a fucking Krogan and Turian working together in Mass Effect 1, Shepard was this god like figure who managed to have 3 separate species drooling over him. Shepard was this god like figure who essentially single handedly brought down Saren and the Reaper threat.

Without Shepard investigating Saren and going after the Conduit and Soverign, ME1 would never have happened. The Galaxy would be doomed.

It's just a hilariously ironic criticism to throw against future games when Shepard exists the way he is because of how much of a Mary Sue he is in ME1.

uh im pretty sure no one hates mass effect just the ending to me3

Jack and Kasumi's arcs were okay, but I find it hard to believe Jack's happened that easily.

I wouldn't have minded the exploring aspect if it wasn't for the universal building standards. Replacing it altogether with a less visual tedium was a bad move, though.

I don't know how people can suffer through the repetitive as fuck gameplay. Yeah sure they improved the combat but the level design and encounter design were complete shit.

>ME3 ending
>Clever

The original ending was that everyone fucking died. Regardless of what shitty color coded choice you made, the fucking Mass Relays blew up and completely wiped out almost every system in the galaxy. Bioware is so retarded they forgot what happens when relays are destroyed and had to fucking change it in the extended ending DLC. Anybody that defends ME3's ending is either a shitposter, or a retard who never understood the series to begin with.

Do us all a favor and kys faggot

Alright. So what is it about him that made him not die?

>So i'm playing through the Mass Effect trilogy right now for the first time.

Lucky bastard, amazing games. Though I was like 10 when I played Mass Effect and I didn't really understand anything so if I played it now it would most likely almost be like I was playing it for the first time ever.

I have a confession to make Cred Forums I fucking loved the Citadel DLC

Omega DLC was shit though.

>The entire game revolves around Shepard being the only one who can stop Soverign and Saren.

No, it isn't.

In ME1 Shepard is assigned to bring Saren to justice, not stop the reapers which the council doesn't believe exists. It's just one leads to the other. The reason Shepard is assigned to go after Saren is not because Shepard is the only one who could possibly succeed, it's because Shepard is the one that revealed his betrayal to the council. Shepard is conveniently positioned to do the task.

>I'm not sure that's relevant to the point. The point is that if someone were to replace Shepard at the Prothean beacon, they'd supposedly have gone through the same fight.

No they wouldn't have? You have no way of knowing that.

Did you forget the entire Prothean AI that explicitly says that nobody should have been able to understand or withstand the Prothean beacon because they were intended for other Protheans?

That was a clear distinction over how "special" Shepard was. The fact that he's a "natural leader" as Anderson constantly reminds you throughout it. The fact that ONLY HE can bring together species and form an alliance.

You're overlooking all over this Mary Sue bullshit because of one instance at the start of the game where Shepard saves Ashley from the Beacon.

It's just a hilariously contradictory criticism that you're leveling at Mass Effect 2

Because he's the chosen one/Mary Sure/whatever your favorite "favored by the plot for no discernible reason" term is, pick your poison.

undertale

The only reason Shepard was special in the first game were the prothean visions. In two they're entirely useless.

Why didn't the Illusive Man just build a massive fucking army or some kind of superweapon instead of spending billions of credits resurrecting Shepard?

Strong willpower.

>global skill cooldowns

>Citadel in ME1
>Literally the only hub/city

>Citadel in ME2
>One of many hubs/cities

>ME1fags love the game for the story
>it wasn't even that good, and was Bioware's worst story at the time, even worse than JE
how

He's "remarkably strong willed" as indicated by your background story of either surviving multiple thresher maws when everyone else died, murdering the shit out of an entire moon, or singlehandedly repelling a slaver attack while on shore leave by rallying civilians.

Shepard is just ridiculous.

>You have no way of knowing that.

Probably why I said

>supposedly

>Did you forget the entire Prothean AI that explicitly says that nobody should have been able to understand or withstand the Prothean beacon because they were intended for other Protheans?

Probably? I don't recall it saying that, but I do recall the character itself.

>The fact that ONLY HE can bring together species and form an alliance.

Was this stated in ME1?

>It's just a hilariously contradictory criticism that you're leveling at Mass Effect 2

??? I haven't criticized Mass Effect 2 for anything. All I did was try to clarify another guy's point. Is this misunderstanding why you've been acting so salty?

>>it wasn't even that good, and was Bioware's worst story at the time, even worse than JE

Are Jade Empire and Mass Effect the only Bioware game's you have played?

Fuck no it isn't. Just finished ME2 last week and though I had fun, there were a few problems. For one the dialogue between you and old crew is very forced. Rarely in ME1 did you have such lively and friendly conversation with say Garrus. Then all of a sudden after being dead two years you're making jokes and on even better terms than the first game? The fuck was the buildup to it? It feels that way less so for everyone else, Garrus is the biggest offender.

The dumbing down of the gameplay was another one. Yeah they streamlined it, but it feels so much less like an RPG. So what, you find new weapons and buy upgrades, and that's it. Stats don't seem inherently built into weapons, they're tied to upgrades. This just leaves less customizability, where's the classic RPG management of squad weapons and the hunt for better gear? I have a few more complaints, but it's hard while on a phone.

>one of many
No, it was literally nothing like the rest of the hubs/cities and there was no fucking point going in there to buy anything because its all collectible shit that you don't need besides overpriced weapon upgrades that turned the game casual-tier

>It wasn't even that good, and was Bioware's worst story at the time, even worse than JE

>Why didn't the Illusive Man just build a massive fucking army or some kind of superweapon instead of spending billions of credits resurrecting Shepard?

He explains that very thing within the opening moments of Mass effect 2, lmfao.

youtube.com/watch?v=3lLKm7lU4vI&list=PL3d-5REb9KLy-DHk7UeOBSo_UM04w3L_o

4:00 minute mark

>"But Shepard, they'll follow her, she's a hero, a bloody icon"

They further explain it here when Shepard asks exactly what you're asking

5:40

youtube.com/watch?v=Io2sCzqXfaA&list=PL3d-5REb9KLy-DHk7UeOBSo_UM04w3L_o&index=2

>Shepard - You could have got an entire army for what you spent to bring me back
>Illusive Man - You're unique, not just in ability but what you represent. You're more than a soldier, you're a symbol

Like I said, try playing the game

Dude, Joker sucks.

All he ever does is whinge or brag about how great he is. The guy is the single most insufferable character in the entire franchise.

I was never awed by what I saw on the Citadel because it an ugly, early UE3 blob with barely any detail or unique geometry, and was awkward to traverse besides. And ME2 has two hubs rather than one, both of which are better in every way. Bigger =/= better, denser = better. There was something to do or look at every step of the way in ME2.

Slightly dumbed down RPG mechanics and start of inconsequential decisions.

Also, I hated the Paragon/Renegade trigger moments, because I would try milk the timer so I can see the complete cutscene then end up missing the opportunity.

Bioware can't into loot. In Dragon Age Origins which came around the same time the loot was boring as fuck.

>Was this stated in ME1?

Yes, numerous times. Particularly by Anderson, then Liara.

>All I did was try to clarify another guy's point.

A guy who conveniently stopped responding to me the moment you entered the discussion.

Don't even try hiding it, you're just samefagging.

My Garrus liked me maybe you're just an ass

>Garrus is the biggest offender

Yeah, he's pretty glaring but I'll still never understand how Liara went from not realizing that telling her crush they would make for an interesting in-depth study is fucking weird to being one of the top information brokers on a planet full of cutthroat corporations where careful networking and corporate savvy are literally essential for survival.

>ME1
>Not casual-tier

How's that infinite ammo and "Veteran = Easy mode" difficulty treating you, casual?

At that time? I had not played Shattered Steel or MDK2. Which were not RPGs so the story doesn't matter as much, but take it if you will.

You'll figure it out right around the 95% mark through Mass Effect 3.

The thing I found about 3 is even 3 has some great bits - the Citadel DLC is gold and in my mind, makes an effective apology from Bioware for putting us through the ending. I don't really want to do it. The combat feels pretty solid. (Forget about Kai Leng, he's just ridiculous.) But the endings, particularly the original pre-extended cut ending, are just... lazy and not very good, which is a disappointment after the rest of it was fun.

It's jarring to play through the ME3 ending, which is an infamous low point for a very good reason, after the several high points.

And yes, Shepard is very much a Chosen One protagonist, at least borderline Mary Sue/Marty Stu. That's a thing in computer games: you want another example, look at all of the Elder Scrolls games. Lots of stories are told about heroic protagonist, it's an archetype for a reason. Shepard isn't ineffective in this, even if it's very much a power fantasy.

Not very many of them go the whole hog the other way and have "your character is nothing special", and when they do, it's generally pretty dystopian and gritty - I actually like how in Elite (Dangerous, but all the way back to Frontier and the original Elite) anything you actually do is, ultimately, insignificant in the grand scale of the galaxy, deal with it, because the suffocating scale of deep space is very much part and parcel of the narrative setting.

ps: Femshep is superior, although I've got to hand it to Mark Meer's pervy sneers.

Agreed, Citadel in ME1 is vastly superior to its incarnation in the later games.

>1 and 2 are both great
Fuck off. The entire ME franchise is shit.

it's writing and setting are mediocre at best. and that goes for all 3 games.

it's basically an almost interesting setting, but instead of going into the depth of each race, they went for quantity.

"Here's this interesting race! We'll only tell you, like, 3 things about them and never discuss them again."

Better than your favorite franchise tbqh

>but instead of going into the depth of each race, they went for quantity.

? What race didn't they go in depth about and explain what else you wanted to know about them?

There's entire books out there detailing every race, their politics, religions and sexual interactions. The Codex also goes deeply into this stuff.

Why do you strike me as somebody parroting an uninformed opinion?

Worst race?

>it's writing is mediocre at best

Name me 3 modern RPGs (that don't already have pre existing source material that they are based off) with better writing.

>Don't even try hiding it, you're just samefagging.

Well, I'm not. Not exactly sure why this triggers you so much.

What a load of horseshit. The races (even the shitty insignificant ones like Vorcha/Elcor) had a fuck load of lore/backstory to them.

Port Hanshan was pretty much the same size as something like Illium or Omega. Zhu's Hope was smaller but being able to hop in the Mako and drive on sky highways without a loading screen made up for it.

>muh contrarian opinions

you're not cool you know that right?

>>Illusive Man - You're unique, not just in ability but what you represent. You're more than a soldier, you're a symbol

This is not even close to a reasonable explanation.

People die in war, there is no getting around this fact. Shepard's heroic life and sacrifice is symbolic enough, bringing him back from the dead with bullshit space magic is still retarded. And while being a "natural leader" may be rare but it's not exactly a unique trait.

Besides, the Illusive man deals with mercenaries. It's not like he needs a symbol for people to follow, he pays for loyalty.

I remember Bioware originally was playing up the idea that there wasn't anything particularly unique about Shepard and he was actually going to be replaceable within the franchise but then they just changed their mind and made him "the chosen one" because franchise mascots.

I think the biggest problem is the fact that every race is defined by a handful of traits i.e. asari wisdom and temperance, salarian science and strategy, turian military prowess, hanar religion, krogan warrior culture, etc etc etc. Most aliens feel like generic reskins of a universal mold and to get away with this, the devs just emphasized how humans are unnaturally individualistic. It got boring after a while.

Who gives a fuck about being cool? I'm right, you're wrong. End of discussion.

Suck my dick.

Woah........

>The entire franchise is bad

If ME was total shit it wouldn't have become such a popular series. There's some bad/horrible aspects of each game to be sure, but it has some great qualities as well.

Wait, why am I bothering to reply to such shitty obvious bait? Ya got me I guess

I think the ME3 ending shitstorm really left a bad impression on Cred Forums

Ever since that people on here have started to retroactively hate the series

You're moving the goalposts now. Explain to me what races weren't in depth and explain to me what you would have liked to know about them.

What you just explained is something that I don't think any piece of literature or fiction is innocent of doing.

I wish romance in video games never became a thing

>Suck my dick.

yeah I bet you'd like that you little fag

ME2 is actually a good game. ME3 has good combat mechanic and great multiplayer, while the storyline is No Man's Lie level of delivery by Hudson.

The gameplay is terrible, read a book if you want well written sci fi

As fine a criticism as that is, is there actually anything I can do that'll show you I'm not that guy? Because I'm pretty certain there's nothing that you can't just say "That's shopped. You're lying." to. This really only comes down to how paranoid you are that someone's lying to you about a discussion of video games on an anonymous image board.

I'm sorry I couldn't read your message through your autism that is now skull fucking me.
>me2
>not casual
you can't even argue against the fact that cities/hubs are entirely useless and there is no reason to go back to them other than to check if there is more useless shit to buy
the game isn't fun and they dumbed down even the most unnecessary shit
>single key for sprinting/using/taking cover
>no quick keys to change between your weapons forcing you to use an obnoxious time-stopping strategy system in a dumbed down game

savage af

That other guy deciding to reply to me within 1 minute of your post.

Yeah, and I'll make sure you choke on it too, bitch.

ME was never good. Just like all the other shit Bioware puts out.

Never fails to amuse me.

>ME2 on Insanity
>Actually somewhat challenging

>ME1 on Veteran
>Literally the equivalent of ME2s Normal difficulty

As opposed to automatic cover in ME1? TIPPITY TOP KEK FAMALAN

Enjoy your casual trash, ME1cuck

Holy shit I didn't see it coming

ME1 didn't even have a dedicated cover button. It was automated bullshit
>no quick keys to change between your weapons forcing you to use an obnoxious time-stopping strategy system in a dumbed down game
It's literally the exact same system in Mass Effect 1.

"C" tells your squad to move to you and "Q" and "E" command each squad member directly. Literally identical to Mass Effect 1

Have you even played the game?

You need to finish your homework before you can shitposting timmy

>he plays me for the shooting

lol

>ME2 is dumbed down
>criticizes mechanics that were literally unchanged from ME1

And thus, the Mass Effect shitposting was exposed. Faggots who haven't even played the game

>he moves the goalposts

lol

>ME2
>Challenging
the only difficult part of the game was the collector ship ambush because it mainly revolved around your squadmates not being fucking retarded. The rest of the game was pretty easy, especially if you picked soldier.

i actually enjoyed the one button everythign mechanic

So you like games with 3 story missions, while the rest is crew loyalty shit?

>me
>good writing

after the first one didn't let me recruit a space jew and had an ancient evil appear I knew it was trash from there and that any choice you had was a bunch of bullshit

And I was right

Combine this and .
ME3 would've been one of the pinnacles of WRPGs had it not bombed its ending so much. Instead of going down as one of the best Western games of all time (or at least recent history) it instead went down as one of the most notorious/infamous.

>still can't argue any points about how me2 wasn't casual trash
>>single key
>>as opposed to automatic cover
yeah literally nothing changed dumbass
okay cuckboy
>Have you even played the game?
Oh yeah I guess I must've installed a mod right after vanilla installation that let me use f1-f4 to change through the weapons i actually want to use
Have you even played the game?
There were almost no improvements to the cover system until me3 but even that was still disappointed with having everything tied to a single god damn button.

I can't make the other guy reply, user. I asked if there was anything I could do to prove that we were two people that you'd not be able to call bullshit on, not whether or not he could. But that's enough Cred Forums for me today. I actually don't know why I continued the conversation for this long. If the first dude is actually still here I'd imagine he's laughing his ass off that I even bothered with this.

But you keep doing you, user. Maybe being paranoid about whether or not someone's lying about whether or not they replied to you on Cred Forums will do you some good one day.

>Cred Forums got burned on this series like none since.

Metal gear overtook it in disappointment

I only finished the first one. It had a based soundtrack.

It's mediocre. People still expected great from Bioware.

We know better now.

>Wow that Illusive man is obviously shady and up to something. Too bad there's fucking nothing you can do about it.
There wasn't a single mission where if the opportunity to fuck up Cerberus operations presented itself I didn't do it. You needed Cerberus support to stop the Collectors but that didn't necessarily mean you needed to bow down to Martin Sheen.
If you didn't think blowing up the Collector base after all Cerberus did for you wasn't the tightest shit then you need to reevaluate.

>still can't argue any points about how me2 wasn't casual trash

You never made any single points, you explicitly commented on the combat, made some outright false statements (Hubs have no usage despite serving the exact same usage as ME1) and went on your merry old way.

>yeah literally nothing changed dumbass

Except something objectively changed. You actually have to use an input to go into cover now, in what world is that seen as dumbed down? If anything, automated cover is dumbed down.

>okay cuckboy

Tippity top senpai. You're feeling mighty euphoric today.

>Oh yeah I guess I must've installed a mod right after vanilla installation that let me use f1-f4 to change through the weapons i actually want to use

No mods, i'm talking specifically about the vanilla game, a game you clearly haven't played.

Explain to me what about the combat mechanics was dumbed down. Go on, i'll wait.

If anything, it had depth added to it with the usage of ammo (instead of casualbabby infinite ammo) and an actual button for cover instead of automated "I WANT THE GAME TO PLAY ITSELF FOR ME" cover from ME1.

>overtook
I don't think so. It was certainly the biggest shitstorm since, but nothing has topped the reaction to ME3.

Still the best rendition of the EA logo

For somebody who isn't samefagging, you seem awfully triggered by the accusation.

Maybe you are a samefag after all :^)

Mass Effect 2 seems good enough on a first playthrough but once you figure out that you could actually cut it entirely out of the trilogy and it wouldn't make that much difference to the main story it takes the shine off. Plus its gameplay is basically just diet coke Gears of War. While the first game was honestly really jank in the gameplay department it at least made a decent fist of being an RPG with leveling and gear. ME2 basically doesn't have that. It's also the beginning of an increased focus on tumblrbait relationship plotlines at the expense of an interesting world or plot.

ME3 I didn't play. At first it was basically because I was pissed off about the DLC, but I felt vindicated when it turned out that the plot was steaming shit. The ending in particular, at least the ending they had at launch, was probably one of the worst received endings in videogame history, if not in fiction full stop. They totally squandered the potential of their story with a set of three lousy Deus Ex Machina endings that hardly made sense, not to mention the fact that the only real difference between the three ending cutscenes was literally a difference in colour - red lights, blue lights or green lights, despite the fact that the game tells you that three radically different things are happening. Under heavy flak from an army of pissed off fans, they eventually resorted to releasing a DLC to fix the ending, and it did improve it presentation-wise but didn't fix most of the fundamental problems with it.

Ultimately I think that Mass Effect is one of the biggest stories of wasted potential in the history of the industry. I remember back when the ME3 shitstorm erupted, and Cred Forums was a special place at that time. The shitposting and trolling was off the rails. You just had to be there.

>Oh, you liked your party in ME1?
I really didn't. Wrex was the only one.

The combat mechanics in 1 might not have been perfect but at least it was suspenseful and interesting

First time playing through ME1:
>Walking through these ruins is pretty eerie... OH SHIT, a robot-spider-zombie just dropped down from the roof! Where'd it go? Fuckfuckfuck! [overheat intensifies]

First time playing through ME2:
>Oh look, there are conveniently placed boxes everywhere in this room I just arrived in, better unholster my gun and order the squadmates behind cover. Let's see if this cutscene is skippable or if I need to wait for the quicktime event to fire.

>Sci-fi game series with super powerful ancient technology and straight up space magic
>Since the very first game it's established that you are a super cool special snowflake space marine
>Bringing the main fucking character back to life isn't reasonable or logical

Is it even possible to be this fucking retarded?

Except they could've done it literally any other way besides killing him.

Shit, right off the top of my head they could have had it so that after the events of ME1 the Council tried covering everything up by framing Shepard into being the fall guy, forcing him into hiding, and then having the story be about making new allies with Cerberus because no one else will believe him, reconnecting with old allies who had to move on, and exposing evidence to prove the Reapers are real and that the entire thing was cover-up. This way you can still introduce all the seedier elements ME2 did, explain why Shepard has to start all over again equipment and abilities-wise, and set a better framework for assembling a team.

Having Shepard die only to immediately come back serves no purpose in the story other than to be a shitty excuse for a reset of everything the player did in 1.

certain aspects of the games (mostly stuff from 2 and 3) are hated, not the entire series as a whole
>ME
I probably beat it 6-8 times. The universe blew me away. I spent so much time listening to the codex entries and talking to npc's to learn more about it. Combat felt a bit weird but it worked.
>ME2
The writing got dumber and entire plot is pretty much irrelevant. If ME2 had never happened the events in 3 would pretty much be the same with a few minor differences, unless you count the arrival DLC. Gameplay definitely got better but I'm on the fence about whether or not I like the new ammo system. Enemies are more varied. Talifags got their waifu and the DLC's were better I guess. Weapon and suit upgrade system removed and weapon variants removed in favor of a samller more varied weapon pool which is a good thing imo. Omega was comfy.
>ME3
went full CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE. Huge setpiece moments, WE GOTTA SAVE DA EARTH. EARTH IS THE KEY TO ALL OF THIS. SO EMOTIONAL. The ending made literally every choice you've made since 2007 completely irrelevant. Combat is a lot faster and the game is a bit harder. Melee builds are actually viable now. More weapon variety than 2 and less restrictions on what you can use. Conversation wheel is a lot more black and white than the previous games. You either say something nice or be an asshole, there is almost never neutral response. Multiplayer that actually affected the single player and madeit harder to get agood ending ifyou didnt play it.

>ME2
>killed and resurrected, ship replaced for the same ship without a reason
>you are forced to work for evil terrorist organisation which killed all men from your squad and you can't do anything with it
>Liaras character development from archaeologist to information broker is stupid
>with exception of Mordin mediocre new characters, edgy Jack, bitchy Miranda, bland Jacob etc.
>whole game spend on solving daddy issues
>all quest follows pattern gain follower, gain his loayality
>butchered inventory and rpg elements
>you never face two meaningful choices with both outcomes bad
>literally nothing you do in ME2 matters in ME3

You're using buzzwords with elaborating and outright false arguments.

I can do it too

First time playing through ME1
>Walking through these copy pasted environments without a worry in the world with conveniently placed boxes everywhere. Oh look, more geth, thankfully I can camp up here on the hardest difficulty and spam my bullets because guess what, there are no bullets! kekekekekekekek

First time playing through ME2
>Walking through these varied environments is pretty eerie.... OH SHIT, a Vorcha has appeared..... Oh shit, Cerberus Mechs appeared!... Oh shit, every enemy type from ME1 and additional enemies excluisve to ME2 adding enemy variety to the game appeared! Oh shit, I better preserve my ammo because because unlike babbies Mass Effect 1, I can't go missing 10 shots just to land one without any consequenc-.... Oh wait, I got rekt because i'm on Insanity difficulty which makes Mass Effects 1's Veteran look like childs play in comparison

They could have added depth to the combat without turning it into gears of war with powers.

youtube.com/watch?v=bRNG4Lhbj4k

>Shit, right off the top of my head they could have had it so that after the events of ME1 the Council tried covering everything up by framing Shepard into being the fall guy

Cover what up? The fuck are you even talking about?

>bringing him back from the dead with bullshit space magic is still retarded.
Didn't they technically bring him back with super advanced technology, rather than space magic? Though I suppose you could argue that technology of sufficient advancement is akin to magic.

The most important question: which of the three is the most comfiest based on the locations alone?

Forget writing, shit endings, characters, gameplay etc. etc. Judge purely by the aesthetics

>WE GOTTA SAVE DA EARTH. EARTH IS THE KEY TO ALL OF THIS. SO EMOTIONAL.

I'm still confused about why they spent all this time showing a huge expansive galaxy and still decided the most interesting place for the finale of the game was Earth. Especially considering how Thessia looked like how Earth did at the beginning of the game and was immediately considered to have fallen but Earth was still kicking after god knows how long Shep spent getting all the aliens to play nice.

>brings up ME1s demo footage

youtube.com/watch?v=CZgwOyEU6TU - ME1 vanguard

youtube.com/watch?v=1qgjrQPuX9M - ME2 vanguard

Enjoy your casualized ME1 trash

if irony was a person

>but once you figure out that you could actually cut it entirely out of the trilogy and it wouldn't make that much difference to the main story it takes the shine off
Why would that happen? I don't care about ME's boring overarching plot with the 2deep4u machine gods. I cared about characters and universe, smaller plots rather than the larger, as they turned out much better.

>RPG with leveling and gear
Yes, some of the worst in class. Gear? Grab the armor with the most green bars, delete the dozens of others that you inevitably pick up before you hit your inventory limit. Fill your guns with shredder/anti-mech ammo and heat sink because nothing else makes sense to use except for shits and giggles, same with health regen and shields for armor. Grenades lol. Leveling, hope you like your 2% increase in Newtons/damage/whatever bullshit, it's just like my favorite game Borderlands.

kek

Just don't play ME3, k?

ME1 was max comfy. It looked like garbage but it had places like snowy Port Hanshan or the tropical but stormy Virmire or that part on Illos where you talk to Vigil while the comfiest music in the series plays.

I'm pretty sure he meant ME3's ending.

Why do malequars even exist? To be cucked by Shepard?

>Then ending of mass effect 3 was hated because it was bold and daring and clever

B8

It could have literally been written by retarded baboons and it would have been better..

>>no mods
A game YOU clearly haven't played. Go fire up me1 and tell me you can't use f1-f4 to change weapons retard.
>>No points made
>hubs having no usage despite serving the exact same usage
You're fucking retarded if you think nothing has changed between the usage of shops between ME1 and ME2. There were multiple types of gear to at least bother looking at rather than just flat out upgrades that you still had to go collect materials for just for the sake of fucking doing it.
>What way were combat mechanics dumbed down
multiple fuck ass
>crouching
>removal Grenades
>upgrades to said grenades
>class specific ammo abilities
>abilities not having separate cooldowns
I'll admit most of the abilities in ME1 didn't do shit but holy fuck are you really this blind and retarded?
>casualbabby infinite ammo
how in what way does the retarded mechanic of clips even change anything aside from being annoying as fuck? What difference is there between overheating your weapon to running out of ammo and then immediately getting enough
Oh and I assume you've obviously not remembered the infinite spawned ammo pickups during boss fights too right?
>tippitytopsenpai,euphoric,anime image
>commenting on being called a cuckboy
Get poopie'd on

I would add:
>Oh, you liked using powers? Now they're mostly useless until the enemy has lost all their defenses and is practically dead already. And they all share a global cooldown.

>not only allow newcomers to enter the series
Any dev that does something for this reason only devalues and dumbs down their own product.

>Now they're mostly useless until the enemy has lost all their defenses and is practically dead already.
Negro what? Powers were designed to fuck up enemy defenses. As long as you didn't build your squad like a retard, powers were the best way to quickly destroy shields/barriers/armor.

>killed and resurrected,

There is a reason. Shepard is killed because it acts as a genius narrative tool to not only implement a time skip (allowing ME1 squad mates to evolve and adapt) but it also allows an entirely new cast of characters to join the fray for new players to the series without it feeling forced.

It also makes the Collector mystery seem more personal for the player and Shepards character

>ship replaced for the same ship

Why wouldn't they make a ship that Joker is familiar with as a sort of "throwback" to Shepards legacy from ME1? It's also significantly more advanced and different in design so even your statement at face value is outright false.

The Normandy from ME2 is nothing like the Normandy from ME1 except from the name.

>you are forced to work for evil terrorist organisation which killed all men from your squad and you can't do anything with it

Except their not entirely evil and you completely missed their entire plot ark if you genuinely thought so.

They literally represent a Renegade Shepard and also served as an extremely smart writing effort at displaying how propaganda (primarily from the Alliance) can make splinter groups "seem" purely evil when they actually have very relatable goals.

>Liaras character development from archaeologist to information broker is stupid

In what way is it stupid? Liara always displayed a lust for information and data throughout the entire trilogy (especially ME1), why wouldn't she go after the Shadow Broker who specializes in information and data?

>edgy Jack, bitchy Miranda, bland Jacob etc.

Nice buzzwords.

>whole game spend on solving daddy issues

Nice meme

>all quest follows pattern gain follower, gain his loayality

Literally ME1 minus the loyalty missions (which are the best in the series)

>butchered inventory and rpg elements

Agreed

>you never face two meaningful choices with both outcomes bad

Just like ME1

>nothing you do in ME2 matters in ME3

Just like ME1

>Now they're mostly useless until the enemy has lost all their defenses and is practically dead already.
You mean, before the enemy lost their defenses?

Oh I don't know how about the entire GIANT KILLING MACHINES FROM OUTSIDE SPACE thing that the Council explicitly tries to pretend doesn't exist in ME2?

In this scenario them trying to cover everything up at least has some place in the story and serves some purpose other than to make the Council look like a bunch of complete retards.

Don't tell me you forgot about "Ah yes, 'Reapers'"?

>There is a reason.
It ALSO lets them reset Shepard back to default level 1 skills and abilities since he was woken prematurely before they could really, completely finish putting him back together.

>Your character isn't particularly special, just competent and in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I'm not sure that's exactly true. Even at the start of the first game, Shepard is at the highest level of Alliance special forces (that's what N7 stands for) and second in command of a state of the art prototype stealth ship. I do see what you mean, though. The sequels definitely ramped up the idea that Shepard is the ordained savior of the galaxy.

The worst thing about ME3 wasn't even the ending, it was the horrifically botched custom femshep import that turned your decent looking waifu into a flat faced dog with square features.

exactly. The other races would say their planet was also under attack and shepard would say BUT EARTH IS TEN TIMES WORSE GUYS. What the fuck. Everyone got fucking cucked. The reapers even bring the entire citadel to earth for no reason.

Because Cred Forums is full of a bunch of angry edgelord teenagers who feel the need to spread hate instead of just ignoring threads.

The series isn't really hated of course, but the ending really shits up all sense of accomplishment once you know that's coming it's really hard to keep pushing forward.

Also the games vary a lot from entry to entry so it causes a lot of distaste

That's entirely meaningless. Shep doesn't die between ME2 and ME3 but you can still choose a new class for him with new attributes at the beginning of ME3.

>A game YOU clearly haven't played. Go fire up me1 and tell me you can't use f1-f4 to change weapons retard.

Pic related. Like I said, play the game.

>You're fucking retarded if you think nothing has changed between the usage of shops between ME1 and ME2

You said the hubs have no usage despite checking to see what new shit there is to buy. That's literally the exact same as ME1, you've now changed your entire argument from "buying shit" to the "type of shit you buy".

Goalpost shift 101

>crouching
Granted
>removal Grenades
Completely new weapon types were added to the game. Grenade Launchers, black hole type guns, flame throwers. If you're using grenades as an example of dumbing down then the counter argument applies for ME1 being dumbed down.
>upgrades to said grenades
See above
>class specific ammo abilities
?
>abilities not having separate cooldowns
Granted but then you delve into the added abilities and again, the counter argument applies.

>I'll admit most of the abilities in ME1 didn't do shit but holy fuck are you really this blind and retarded?

You're implying this is an element of dumbing down which I just don't see because the combat in ME2 is leaps and bounds better than the combat in ME1.

>how in what way does the retarded mechanic of clips even change anything aside from being annoying as fuck?

Well for one, it means you actually have to git gud at aiming. For two, it brings balance to the more overpowered weapons by giving them smaller ammo polls as opposed to ME1 with its infinite ammo.

Infinite ammo will never be as good as actual ammo, no matter what game. It removes strategy, it removes consequence of bad aim and most of all it dumbs the game down :^)

>Get poopie'd on

How Euphoric

>That's entirely meaningless
No, they just fucked it up a little moving to 3. They should have made it so that if you import a character from 2 that it's the same class that you played in 2. You start at the same level, they could have done that too.

We're discussing ME2, not ME3.

Aria has the best ass. Prove me wrong.

Really though, Bioware just pushed the reset button in ME2 so PS3 owners wouldn't feel left out.

But you're right. Her ass was objectively the best part of the Omega DLC.

2 was honestly written better than 1 overall. It's stupid shit was outweighed by its good parts, and 1 was just above mediocre.

> It removes strategy, it removes consequence of bad aim
I think I found out why he likes ME1's combat better

Like most plebs screaming "HURR, MASS EFFECT 2 WAS CASUALIZED", it's painfully ironic that they preferred the single most casual and babby-tier mechanic i've ever seen in a TPS game.

Just compare Mass Effect 1s Veteran difficulty to Mass Effect 2s "Insanity" and you will know then and there which is more casual.

>never really looked at the series
>all 3 are on sale for $15
>surewhynot
>start up ME1
>Bioware logo
>oh hey maybe thisll be a bit like KotOR
>first person you meet is literally Carth
>game has lightside/darkside dialogue
>game has aliens and shit
>game is literally KotOR 3 with real-time combat
WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT THIS

Because it's nearly a decade old by now user. An entire generation of young children have now become adults in the time since this game has come out.

You're in for a nice ride though if you stick with it. 2 and 3 don't exactly mimic KotOR so much though, but they're still enjoyable in their own right.

>If you didn't think blowing up the Collector base after all Cerberus did for you wasn't the tightest shit then you need to reevaluate.
Only a complete fucking idiot would blow up a base that undoubtedly contains all manner of information and technology that could be used to understand and defeat your enemy. This is especially true when it's an enemy you can't beat in a straight-up fight and you need to find some kind of Achilles heel to stand a chance. They were actually building a Reaper there, which means that Reaper blueprints and information on how they work was there.

The problem is that Bioware was fucking stupid and didn't give you the option to keep the base, but give it to the Council or the Alliance instead of Cerberus. That's the only reason anyone blows it up, just like how the only reason anyone picks anything but Destroy in ME3 is that Bioware once again added a contrived drawback to what was clearly the superior choice.

It's not though, KotOR 3 would have been about a charismatic individual trying to gather enough strength to defend against the threat of an ancient faction lurking in deep unexplored space.

Oh.

ME1 feels like a ripoff of a lot of sci fi stuff.

Pic related. Hell, I think Feros is similar to an episode in Farscape.

>spam charge and insta kill enemies with zero thought process involved
oh wow such tactical depth!

We have been talking about the series for over a decade here. Nigga u just late.

>has to resort to killing the protagonist for a time skip
yeah that's some pretty lazy writing.

Pretty much every major mission world you go to plays off of a particular sci-fi subgenre (Noveria is spooky science facility in lock down with a dark secret, Virmire is using mad science to try to breed an army, Feros is spores that turn people into zombies) so none of it is actually particularly original.

I liked Citadel, it was a nice sendoff if you pretend it takes place after the war.

>Early development in ME2 had Legion finding Shepard instead of Liara
>instead he's pushed way to the tail end of the game
>you only get to have him on a couple of missions with you unless you want your whole crew to get blended into a gooey paste
>shows up in ME3 again only to inevitably die for some retarded, hamfisted reason
Legion had a hard life.

me2 because illium and omega

Yes it is quite euphoric
>Goalpost shift 101
How are you this fucking retarded
When have I stated anything about the command keys aside from stating that you are forced to use shift to change directly to the weapon you want to use. Please stop being retarded.
Its not goal post moving. The point of the shops/hubs in ME1 was to buy supplies that you needed, not one time upgrades that in the long run didn't matter.
>Class specific ammo upgrades
Literally exactly what I said.
Cryo, etc. applying to specific classes and not being an upgrade that you can apply to specific weapons so you don't have to (and for no reason) re-apply it everytime you change your load out.
>Infinite ammo
Your argument is painfully fucking retarded. Aiming is made so much easier and you literally get ammo drops out the ass, including infinitely respawning ammo. Another point you can't fucking argue against while trying to claim that "overheating" is babby tiered.
>brings balance to overpowered weapons
Oh thats why now I can get an armor piercing sniper-rifle with even more armor piercing ammo that I don't have to aim worth a shit because I play Infiltrator and get slowed down scope-time? Hilarious point there friendo.
>Grenades vs. Grenade launcher
Except that, as with your clip argument you are practically given infinite ammo to which you are allowed to spew grenades out and generally use weapons you just mentioned as replacements for grenades non-stop. But no great argument

Your actual ammo argument WOULD be correct if there were a strategy to allocating that ammo over the period of the mission. But there isn't. You pick up more ammo as you go along so you practically have non-stop ammo coming in. Whereas with overheating you had to control how much you used one weapon or you risked it overheating which is more strategy than you can attempt to defend with your clips argument

>Liara always displayed a lust for information and data throughout the entire trilogy (especially ME1)
She was a socially retarded nerd who was solely focused on the Protheans. Suddenly in ME2 she's a boss ass bitch sitting pretty in her own office as one of the most respected brokers on a planet full of brokers.

It would have been a plausible development if it took more than two years, with god knows how much of that spent looking for Shepard's body, making negotiations with Cerberus, and getting her buddy captured.

In ME1 she says she's barely an adult and doesn't understand a lot about other cultures. In ME3, 3 years later, she's one of the most powerful people in the galaxy. It's dumb as shit.

Yeah, as I was playing through it and listening to all the wacky bants it suddenly occurred to me that there were currently shitloads of people dying on a bunch of different planets. It's so jarring in the broader context of the game.

I always add him with a save editor. Dude has a lot of dialogue for missions.

>ME1
Noveria, Normandy
>ME2
Illium, Omega
>ME3
can't recall if there was any comfy. I liked the Mars archives I guess

Which is honestly such a shame because he's one of the best characters introduced after ME1 imo.

I'd argue for the Presidium/Wards in ME1 and Anderson's Apartment/Silversun Strip in ME3.

>genius narrative tool
lol, its extremely clumsy. Should they kill and resurrect her again it the beginning of ME3? Resurrect the main character who died in the last game at least make sense but this?
>Except their not entirely evil
except they are entirely evil in ME1 and ME3, and in ME2 you are basically just their uwilling pawn. Adding conflict between the Illusive man and Shepard with option to rebel against him, where you need to persuade/kill Miranda and Jacob would really improve the game. Or at least >you never face two meaningful choices with both outcomes bad
you have to pick Ashley or Kaidan. On the other hands you can save Everybody during the suicide mission if you don't fuck something up. Also you can save or let die the council, but thats fault of ME2 they didn't reflect your choices and I probably should not blame ME2 for ME3 failures. However the lack of the payoff of ME2 decisions in ME3 is certainly one of the reasons why is ME2 so disliked.

>ME3 would've been one of the pinnacles of WRPGs
Yes but you have to note that me3 ending crashed the entire series up to that point, it was so bad it prevented people from playing me1 and me2.
So it went from the highpoint of wrpgs in terms of SERIES into something unspeakable.