Really gets me scratchin' my noggin

Really gets me scratchin' my noggin

>install base of 10-100+ million for consoles
>install base of a few million for a given PC component, or a few thousand for a specific combination of components
Gee I wonder which one gets more optimised

Neither because most devs are lazy fucks

It's amazing how that tweet always makes tech-illiterate underage "master race" redditors butthurt. It's literally just basic computer science.

delet this right fucking now

literally, huh?

shut up faggot

And for the same amount of money a full grown steer will still produce less bullshit on average than carmack and also be slightly less obnoxious.,

He's right though, but if you're using a PC that's the same specs as a console you've got a shit PC.

The new graphics APIs ought to balance things out somewhat. Not all the way, but most of the way.

>for the same given paper spec
True because the console has a more uniform configuration of CPU and GPU that developers can put to use more effectively, rather than catering to variations on PC (AMD/Intel/nVidia etc) which would vary in performance at the same spec level.

Then why can't XBone do 1080p lmao

Are normies only realizing this now? Did they ever question why most ports run like shit on PC?

>It's another twitter screenshot thread where the OP says a vague statement for replies

Don't you get tired of pretending to be retarded?

It's Cred Forums's version of clickbait but the currency is (you)s. Cred Forumsirgins can't stop eating it up.

but at the end of its life a console only could deliver above 60% of a pc counterpart While the PC did all that right out of the box.

He is talking about graphic APIs you fucking bellends

This is common sense. Literally no PC gamers don't already know this. Access to low level APIs on consoles, and designing for only one specific hardware configuration for ALL devices, means much more optimization for running on that hardware. Carmack is exaggerating, to give console readers who aren't remotely tech literate easy figures to remember (2/2/2). In reality it'd probably be closer to around 1.6x. That being said, at any given time a current gen PC is usually 4x as strong as a console, using theoretical figures as Carmack is referencing in that tweet, so the PC is still more powerful in terms of performance even on release year.

PC is both much easier to work with, being x86, and more closed than mobile, therefore developers have experience making games run on it, much the same way their console games improve in performance throughout its life with more experience developing for them. The mobile platform is extremely chaotic in terms of hardware configurations, while PC sticks to a few staples. This together with the mobile platform being ARM which is aimed at power savings/TDP/efficiency, means the PC is easily probably around twice as efficient when it comes to performance with the same theoretical hardware capabilities.

Why are console children acting like this is some big new revelation? I mean, maybe you wanna gloat "haha my xbox is twice as fast as your PC" but in reality most PCs are 2~3x as fast as consoles because they have 4x~6x the power.

>OMG STOP FALLING FOR BAIT OMG STOP DON'T POST UGHHH IM SO SMART AND YOU ARE ALL SO STUPID BECAUSE I AM NOT FALLING FOR IT

How about use the thread that exists to discuss the subject, regardless of OP's intentions?

>it's a Cred Forums is full of sheltered 17 years old kids that take the word of devs and e-celebs as absolute fact

Sometimes it feels like I'm babysitting you retards.

But it helps point out that the "you can build a PC with the same specs at the same price" was fucking retarded.

This tweet is ironic as fuck. It is not "basic computer science". It's basic business and called Wirth's law. Putting hardware in a console does not magically make it faster. Since the hardware in a PC is objectively better developers spend less time optimizing because they do not need to.

That's fucking bullshit. You can build a PC with better specs for the same price, not the same specs. I mean, people have done it and uploaded their findings to youtube with a side by side benchmarking comparison. Usually the PC comes out slightly ahead. Around 25FPS average vs ~37 FPS average.

guys I think your triggered OP

Except nobody ever said. 2 years later you can build a PC with different specs for the same price because technology has advanced.

Carmak has no idea of what he's talking about, he's stuck in the 90's and never worked on real current gen environment in his life

This is partially true. That or he's fucking with people.

The dude is literally a console cuck. He ruined his fucking company going ape shit over consoles and got so butthurt he was wrong he left the industry. ID makes a decent PC DOOM and it sells like hotcakes. He is probably on suicide watch.

Cashed in a lot of (You)s. Thanks lads. I'll need it when the site disappears.

decent gpu 150$
decent cpu 100$

then what?
ps4 is 300$, same price pcs are a shitty meme

Ok.

On paper specs huh? So why does a 1.3 tflop 750ti routinely outperform a 1.8 tflop ps4. On paper it's weaker so it shouldn't.

What a fucking chode.

considering the kind of cpu consoles have, he's right

pair it with an underclocked 8120

How about I pair it with a shitty i3 and make it run Windows and all sorts of other shit in the background

then it defeats the purpose of the tweet

Bullshit. For the same given paper specs, all three will deliver the equal performance.

You should trade em in and get a pass so you can post on /vip/ with the rest of the elite.

You can't completely attribute the ps4 losing out to a 750ti to cpu differences. We are talking games that target 30fps which isn't particularly taxing even on the ps4s jaguar cpu.

Even in gpu bound situations it can't get anywhere close to 2x the performance.

>console games are more optimized
Woah man, you're blowing my mind.

You retards need to realize "console optimization" is how they get games running on the toaster-tier CPU's on consoles. If you bought a Xbone or PS4 CPU for a PC the game would run like a dumpster fire. They're using fucking 2Ghz jaguars. PC's definitely benefit from faster CPU's. As far as graphics it's not as much of a benefit, an OC 750Ti can still beat PS4 in most multiplats despite being 3 years old.

"perf" is not frame rate.

He's talking about OS, API and driver overhead.

This tweet is also pre-DX12 and Vulkan.