I just hopped onto TF2 for the first time since Overwatch came out

I just hopped onto TF2 for the first time since Overwatch came out.
>Community servers are dead
>75% achievement/idle servers, 20% all-crit/randomizer, 5% the actual game
>Comp is an exercise in futility
>Casual mode doesn't let you choose which map you want to join
>No one is running 24/7 Halloween servers
>Pyro won the War, so we're getting a new set for a diverse, flexible class instead of a new Minigun/way to play Heavy
>Go into favorite servers, no results found

Remember when you could hop onto TF2 and there'd be a good dozen or so servers running? When the second October 1st hit, there'd be 24/7 community setups of people fucking around on Helltower or Mann Manor?
Remember when you could connect to a server and just chill there for an hour or two, sticking with it for a few maps, forming a slight rapport with the randos who happened to be in it with you?

What the hell happened? Can TF2 be fixed?

You didn't read the "explore the new ui" info.
Because you can select exactly which map or maps you want to play.

Blame Blizzard and the youtubers they paid off for comparing Overwatch to TF2 when they are nothing alike, unless you word their concepts in a specific way.

Wait seriously?
I got no such popup, that's a damn good addition.
That include Halloween maps? I'm gonna be honest, that spooky nostalgia for Halloween boss fights is what made me check it out. TF2 Halloween is comfy as fuck.

>Just hopped onto TF2

Except it does, retard.

I mean they're both class-based shooters with cartoony artstyles, physics, and mechanics. Both games feature a globe-trotting cast of characters and focus on FPS gameplay in control point and payload style modes.

Comparisons are inevitable, despite the games' differences. I like both, honestly. Anyone who claims one is inherently better than the other is speaking subjectively by default.

Overwatch didn't kill TF2. TF2 died years ago.

>That include Halloween maps?
Unfortunately not.
Not yet anyway.
I suspect this Halloween they'll change that.

>I'm gonna be honest, that spooky nostalgia for Halloween boss fights is what made me check it out. TF2 Halloween is comfy as fuck.
Full agreed.

% achievement/idle servers, 20% all-crit/randomizer, 5% the actual game
>>Casual mode doesn't let you choose which map you want to join
It never did. The game has been like this way back to 2012. This man has never played tf2.

>Implying I didn't last play back in the Spring, right before Meat Your Match
>Implying I haven't been playing since 2011
>Implying there hasn't always been a decent number of community servers dedicated to actually playing the game once you waded through all the trader/idle servers
>Implying you couldn't clearly see what map each server was currently playing on and make your selection accordingly

I mean, spiritually maybe, but it was always at least populated, you know?

This is the first time that it really FEELS dead.
Like, the game I enjoyed playing not even a year ago is no longer there, at least not in the same amount.

Call it time, call it Overwatch dipping into the same playerbase, call it lack of attention on Valve's part, but it feels super shitty to see it in such a state (especially when it could be fixed so easily).

>casual doesn't let you choose map
Yes it does.
Also, TF2 can probably be fixed once Valve decides to stop Jewing and improve the actual gameplay.
But that's not happening anytime soon, sadly.

>Rhyming is hard

Isn't heavy like one of the most intelligent characters in the cast?

>doesn't let you choose which map you want to join
>It never did.
What an odd, yet silly and demonstrably false thing to say.

everyone wants more numbers to go up

exp was a mistake

>won't let you choose which map
Here you go.

I like that the comics remembered he had multiple doctorates in Russian literature.

OP here, this seriously did not show up for me, but I'm beyond glad that this is an addition.
It shows that Valve is putting in SOME effort to fix their stupid mistakes. They haven't TOTALLY abandoned the game.

He is very intelligent his English is just poor

>bi-monthly

>Waah I can't blacklist or search right this means TF2 is dead!
Every time

>causal
>thats quickplay
Server browser is different then matchmaking user.

>pyro
>diverse, flexible class

>Overwatch comp
>"Play 10 matches, we'll use your W/L ratio to place you in a bracket full of people with similar ratios, the amount of EXP lost by a loss is equal to the amount gained by a win, progress is possible"
>Win enough matches and you can move up, you'll still earn points no matter what, points can be spent on special weapon skins

>TF2 Comp
>"Everyone starts out at the ground level so hodgepodge teams of randoms will get matched with premade stompers on Discord, one loss takes away 10 wins' worth of EXP, progress is literally impossible unless you form a premade team and win a few dozen matches in a row to counter-balance the odd loss you're statistically certain to experience"
>Win enough to make a non-wearable medal a different color

What were they thinking? It's so easy to implement comp, especially in a game like TF2.

Considering you said casual mode, which is the quickplay option not allowing you to pick map, I do not believe you ever played this game.
And the server browser still lets you pick the map you fucking autist.

>Pyro
>Can play as an ambush class with stuff like Backburner and Backscratcher
>Can play as an annoyance/distraction with stuff like Phlog/flares
>Can play as standard offense with default loadout
>Can play as Engie pal with stuff like Homewrecker and Neon Annihilator

>Heavy
>Move slowly, tank damage, fuck shit up at close range, stay on the cart

There's way more ways to play Pyro than there is to play Heavy, but we need another Pyro loadout because the community thinks this will for some reason lead to a complete balance overhaul that fixes all the bugs and weird shit associated with the class.

No way is Valve gonna overhaul the Pyro, so everyone loses here.

matchmaking didn't exist in 2012.
No. quickplay wasn't matchmaking.

The situation you found is exactly the reason I disinstalled the game. Now I'm slowly selling my few cosmetics on the market during sales to buy games.

I really miss old tf2. Sometimes I'm tempted to buy a 360 copy of the orange box and try to play online.

>Can play as standard offense with default loadout
And be fucked over by any Soldier, Demo or Scout of the same skill level, while having no mobility whatsoever

I played the game since the beta. The game went to shit once the eyelander came out.

Again,
>Implying Valve servers appear in the server browser anymore
>Implying Valve servers and community servers are interchangeable
>Implying one has to have auts to want to pick and choose which map they get sent to instead of just "Valve *Game Mode* Server"

No user, it is you who has never played the game.