Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Comes out April 3rd. 43 days remaining.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YpNQvQmovjs
forums.obsidian.net/topic/96145-some-paladin-ability-names-and-a-cross-class-are-a-bitd-and-d/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The symbols. What do they mean?

post portraits. no matter how unlikely the models will actually resemble them.

>Guidebook coming out April 3
Why don't they release these backer bonus items a few days before so that people can read them and get even more hyped for the game? Hire me, Obsidian.

>3 posts
>3 posters

also durr hurr poe is boring and I don't like reading. now that it's out of the way, let's have a great thread everybody

I bet picking the wrong choice here will lock you out of half of the quests in Deadfire.

he agreed to it so I forced him to let her have the notes. I doubt that the decision matters though in poe2 because you know what happens.

She's still alive in my heart

I could swear I saw the picture of a scripted interaction of you walking around Neketaka that had you finding Bellasege in a street or something. No shit.

who else would play the shit out of a real time mmo poe. I think if the time never slowed or sped up it would be good for managing only 1 dude in a party. Fonline was so good and if someone did the same kind of game for someing in the poe universe it would be amazing

There better be one you nerd.

I knew I wasn't crazy
youtube.com/watch?v=YpNQvQmovjs
From 0:35 onwards

reminder that Pillars fags are cancer for tolerating those avatar nyah faggots

I've filtered them long ago

Whoa, neat.
But what does this mean?

These whole party interactions remind me of SoZ. I unironically loved SoZ.

Her laboratory equipment is responding to your strong watcher soul that has been torn apart by Eothas?

Cosmic cat when?

Hey! That Edér portrait looks better than the one we ended up getting!

W-what does it mean for the one who stole her notes?

Why is Eder so smug

What the fuck, wouldn't you not get achievements if you use a console command?

No, any command that works without iroll20s doesn't block cheevos.

Was Caedman right?

Right? Who would even pick anything else?

Looks like the Tyranny combo system is coming PoE2's way.

Me so I could make him stay in the sanitarium for the riots

[1] and report to the statueman.

Nigs get nogged.

>caedman doesn't drop his grimoire when killed
Pretty boring.

*teleports behind u*

Good luck with that.

*screams and kills your backrow*

*mindhaccs you*

I'm playing this right now. How do I build my chanter?

Might Int Per for dragon trashing afker.

poe 2 class list

I've been thinking lately. Everyone says that Pillars' story is shit, and to an extent, they're right. It's rushed, overly verbose and doesn't all fit well together. But when it comes to video game stories, I think Pillars' feels fresh and thematically consistent and coherent to a pretty high level. All of the companion quests and main story events feel like they're all focusing in on the same beats. It's all about science and faith and how they can connect and ally or clash with one another. I'm not trying to say that it's another Planescape Torment, but I found it much more interesting than generic stuff like the Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age series. Just dropping my hot take.

>playing a pet ranger on PotD
>got Persistence
>everything is quite challenging but doable
>got Sagani
>suddenly dual ranger tag team starts raping everything and killing drakes like it's nothing
The game is not supposed to be THIS fun.

>they're right
You're retarded. Pillars' story is great, you just have to be a non-brainlet and read the fucking lore. "People" going through the game without paying attention to the lore and actual people who appreciate and immerse themselves in Obsidian's world building efforts will perceive Thaos, for example, completely differently. To the first group, he is just a generic bad guy trying to resurrect an Ancient Evil. To the second - he is the protector of the legacy of his people, trying to save entire civilization from themselves by preventing them from learning the truth behind the gods.

Because they contain spoilers.

That's why I said "to an extent". You're being overly defensive. The story of Pillars is good, but it has flaws, particularly in how it is presented. Fenstermaker himself admitted it's the first draft they released and they didn't have time to edit it. Let's not pretend it's flawless, that's getting into fanboy territory.

The first guidebook didn't. It talked about gods and factions without getting into the truth of the pantheon or even the Leaden Key.

>gain [insert random power] BUT...

You're right but that's what Josh said.

>generic stuff like the Baldur's Gate
>fantasy detective is generic
The plot in BG1 is surprisingly good and well thought out.

Who cares about fun user, what's important is that no class is even slightly better than another. It will make them really unique and rewarding to play, see.

Pretty sure Sawyer gave up on the idea of pure balance with the subclasses. For example, Devoted is godlike, while Mage-slayer is a joke. Skald is excellent while Troubadour is average at best.

Can you change your class after you import your PoE save?

How does that work lore wise?

Which means you should simply buff mage slayer and troubadour. The game is better when it's "strong party vs strong enemies".

Someone said here that Bleak Walker's Black Path(aoe fear on kill) can trigger weapon effects like Tall Grass's prone(assuming the fear effects crit).
Could it be possible to proc spell effects too? Like Steadfast's sunlance?

>I'm Fighter McGee
>Hm...I want to try to learn the bow and get a pet Lion
>I'm Ranger McGee

You were EOTHASED to level 1, so you are starting anew.

So what class is the best in PoE if you really hate the combat system? One of the casters, maybe? Chanters are shit, so don't even go there.

Why is the Obsidian forums such shit? You'd think the higher tier backer there would be more level headed but they all seem to hate the game and everything about it.

Bah! No fun

You can even change races. I suspect you will be reborn into a new body with the old memories, Thaos-style.

>How does that work lore wise?
Berath will probably play a hand in that, as you can change your race as well.

>Someone said here that Bleak Walker's Black Path(aoe fear on kill) can trigger weapon effects like Tall Grass's prone(assuming the fear effects crit).
I did, I personally tested it many times, but the Frightened effect has to crit, since the Prone affliction is applied on crit.

>Could it be possible to proc spell effects too? Like Steadfast's sunlance?
Never tried any other affliction, only Prone from Rumbalt.

I wish they'd change which God saves you based off the ending choice.
>MFW Woedica saves you
>MFW you're now Thaos.
Or Wael who will save you and just have you wake up with no context.

>rtwp

Kek, at least Larian offers us a superior alternative.

Quite right. I for one enjoy the romance and clever titty dialogue and expansive reactive story.

Tanky chanter is one of the best for that purpose, actually.
Try cipher, I guess.

What portrait are you using?

>Wael
>doing anything for you
LOL

Animeshit.

Good taste.

>superior alternative.
Ironic, seeing how TB shitters have been just BTFO in another thread.

>forums.obsidian.net/topic/96145-some-paladin-ability-names-and-a-cross-class-are-a-bitd-and-d/
Paladin skills should not mention religion.

>Wael why did you save me?
>Because you're going to do something for me.
>What am I going to do?
>I don't know.

Well, it's true that none of the orders are explicitly divinely focused.

I think that poster is more concerned about the semantic similarity to D&D's paladins, though.

Amnesia?

Truly /ourgod/

Just as likely as him killing you.
Why? Because lol why not.

They get blown out in every thread user.

Religion and faith are a big part of PoE's story because its ultimate theme is knowledge and how to live with or without it. Iovara even makes it obvious near the end of the game by asking the question that contextualizes the entire game. "What if we can be assured of nothing?" Of course the shitposters and brainlets immediately take it as an atheistic take on religion, but it's so much more than that. Ignore the gods or even science for a moment. Think on Edér's quest. Think on Sagani's quest. Think on Kana's quest. It's not just about seeking knowledge and gaining it. It's about learning to live with what is beyond our understanding. This is perhaps a good reason as to the Priest of Wael meme. If PoE had only one god to describe the story, it would probably be him.

Say that to /sci/

>This is perhaps a good reason as to the Priest of Wael meme
You know this has nothing to do with everyone playing a Priest of Wael now, user.

Fine. It's a good excuse, though.

You mean the argument which is presented as "This is inarguable, because this is a fact". Nice :argument" when you have to insist that everything you say as fact.

>priest of wael has some special stuff in PoE2
>we'll never find out what's that

Please stop. You shitposted and tried to ruin OS2 threads, and now you're trying to ruin POE2 threads. Just go post in console wars threads, and let people who are interested in things other than repeating the same childish jibes over and over again have somewhere free of pointless shitposts.

What's wrong with arguing on Cred Forums? I don't see what's ruinous about those posts.

Fuck off, larianigger. Go make a Kiddinity thread and see how many responses it gets before it dies.

Can someone explain positioning to me?

The second there are more than 3 enemies battles become clusterfucks where no one can move.

Wael is the god of mysteries, not lolsorandum. Bringing the Watcher back to life is within their purview because the Watcher has a history of uncovering long-buried secrets but is also unpredictable (as player characters are wont to be), making the Watcher's future actions (and their effect on the world) a mystery even to the gods. Killing you on the other hand doesn't do anything for Wael except in weird edge cases like a Watcher that encourages everyone to keep their heads down and not concern themselves with anything outside their station.

You could also argue that Wael would want to kill the Watcher because they demystify mysteries and solve riddles, but Wael's lore points to greater knowledge only giving people more awareness of how much they don't know, so I don't buy that.

Remember when PoE had a big negative review on RPG Codex and you had tons of people linking and quoting that review to shit on it?
Well... I'll just leave this here. Just some food for thought :^)

>go check out the other thread
>defense of RTWP combat is "THis is inarguable, because this is a fact"

>is the god of mysteries, not lolsorandum
user...

That guy really has a flair for the over-dramatic.

>Go in as monk
>take devotee fighter subclass and spec into quarter staff

Top end monk spells in the first one werent super grand so I probably wont be losing out on much

>"Darth Roxor's final thoughts.. " (c) Darth Roxor
Forums were a mistake

Arguing is not shitposting. In an argument you call someone a nigger while explaining why they're wrong, not

Move to a choke point and AOE everything down. We MMO now

You can't dual-class into subclasses. Subclasses are only for single classes

but that's wrong. you can still specialize in a dual class

Bottom row of purple looks like the skills. Tow below that is obviously NPC relations. Row above that is the 5 factions in the game and the row above that is fuck I don't know. If I had to guess I'd say the six settlements in the game.

It helps to have a fighter with Defender mode on to go in first to lock down most of their melee units with engagement, then focus your CC on any that manage to slip by. This focuses most ranged attacks on your fighter as well.

The first thing they mention in any interview regarding classes is that you can multiclass subclasses.

The only one shitposting here is you, larianigger, since you're the only one mentioning Kiddinity. Again, fuck off to your dead Kiddinity threads, this is a PoE2 thread and there's nothing for you to do here. When it comes to posting about Kiddinity, I ONLY respond, I never make any Kiddinity threads and I do not make any Kiddinity related posts here unless they're responses to larianiggers like you. You want me to stop posting? Then shut the fuck up about your turd, mongoloid.

>almost two milliton posts

No, you mentioned it, and you false flag about it every fucking thread. No one cares.

their cries are so creepy ugh

Why didn't anybody tell me that rogue is so great? I just started my second playthrough and having a lot more fun than when I was a paladin.

Stop replying holy shit.

They aren't skills, they're dispositions. The backer beta already has them implemented and you can see the symbols and rightclick to see what they mean.
Swords: Aggressive
Dove: Benevolent
Fox: Clever
Whip: Cruel
Scroll: Diplomatic
Heart: Honest
Fire: Passionate
Scales: Rational
Hat: Shady
Mountains: Stoic

I've been saying so in these threads for months, but there was a scrub or two that came in bitching about how they were useless because they couldn't see traps any better.

>needing some phony god to hide behind or cowardly magic
>Not winning the day with nothing more than the sweat of your brow.

Shady sounds fun.

You better not have taken oaths. That's so lazy

Proof?

In the beta. You really think I would come up with a lie that elaborate?

>lazy to do things for yourself
>But not to hide behind bullshit to win a fight

Okay

Care to post a screenshot?

nice.
on another note, clever was cringeworthy in poe1, full of inappropriate jokes and unfun remarks so I hope they change it or name it differently.

>Xoti
>Clever, Cruel, Diplomatic

Someone isn't clever at all.

>Play the first pillars.
>Race class and background only have 2 special replies each

Will it be this dumb in the next game?

>Honest, Passionate, Rational
Best fucking boy confirmed, if that's true.

I don't understand what your saying. Paladins with their healing and buffs are cowards that rely on others.

Dragoon!

>get hyped
>look up combat
>its the same
they never learn

>Needing a phony god

Fighter is the only correct path. Maybe Barbarian if you're edgy

Clever Watcher being kind of a weird asshole at times is part of the charm though.

The dispositions have nothing to do with companions though.

Yeah, Barbarians are o.k. They understand the labour of hard work, but they refuse to wear awesome armor, and tend to get angry for small things. Gotta keep a diciplined mind.

There's already more responses than that in the beta alone.

>diciplined mind
>not going full retard with zeal

meh I think it's more like 'thinks himself clever' or tryhard

Shitty jokes are the best.

>Playing through Pillars again to have a different save with different choices
>They updates the skills so you can do faux cross classing
>Can take fighter health regen on my monk.

Finally my dreams of an untouchable kung fu master monk tank are realized.

>29 posters
JUST

Nothing useless about endless crits and spawning behind the enemy backrow to wipe their mages in a few seconds.

IT'S TOO LATE NOW
YOU DIDN'T LISTEN

I think it would've been better if he started with confusion so that the initial paralyze attacks won't be nuked on you.

>has two arcane veils
>knows that the veil can be used instantaneously
>goes for a summon action that will put him in recovery and make him a sitting duck instead of triggering the veil first and then going for the summon

>Quiet, Kana.

As a CALM SEAAAAAAHH

Wouldn't the paralyze pretty much nullify Arcane Veil? With Wizard's shitty base stat I don't think it has enough deflection to last.

N'yah

Lagufaeth have around 80 accuracy on potd, while wizard veil gives you +75. If you have 55 total deflection before the veil, you're not going to get hit at all and 55 deflection is nothing even for a wizard.

>clicking on your party members repetitively, especially voiced ones like Birdvagina and Eder, will make them quip in annoyance back at you

Reminds me of the weird and long voiced lines that you get from Warcraft 3 units that you'd get if you kept clicking on them.

N'yah yourselfie

Weirdo

n'yarr
n'yarr to you too lassie

There's also voice lines if you stay a really long time without clicking anything or moving the screen around. I like small details like those.

Can one of you degenerates post the baby orlan portrait

I need it for reasons

This is my favorite part of this thread but can someone explain what's the meme?

Cutie.

>34 posters

Kill it with fire.

Was that an imposter?!

#
>dat file name

I will forgive you this time, but get it right next time, fag

user...

I hope you fags prepared watercolor versions of your custom portraits.

I just used the default ones. Some of the vanilla ones are good.

I'm not saying yes, but I'm not saying no, either

N'yah you all.

My OCD demanded that.

>Not using a portrait.
At least use Vela and say N'wah or something.

Forgot the image

You still fucked up with the #.

>implying im not using anime girls

The game has enough good Human Male portraits and since all other races and sexes are shit, I'll be fine.

>int 1

I have, yes. Those story book parts would look wrong. I needed to fuck around with filters, but it looks ok in the end.
It's kinda shitty that Obsidian basically requires people to fuck around with photoshop now.

I know, but I can't delete post anymore. FUCK!

>Figure my monk is pretty simple it can play it self
>Set both AI types to agressive
>Watch monk
>10 wounds
>Normal attack
>Normal attack
>Normal attack
>Below half health
>Doesn't use his heal
>Normal attack

I'm glad they going with the dragon age AI system in deadfire. This is fucking bonkers.

>thinks AOE radius matters

Truly INT 1, holy shit.

RPGcodex is full of autists who think they're connoisseurs

Not him, but int is far more important due to its influence on affliction/buff duration. Anyone who dumps int is forced to cope with a severely reduced duration of the Moonwell scroll and it's one of the best healing spells in the game.

The beta has been fun but two spells per level for a mage kind of blows.

I have all these eyes and scales and no idea what I should enchant with them. :^(

you copy spells from grimoires niggu and only learn the ones you cant find.

Is this some solo faggotry?

I was worried when they said they are just going to cop out on art costs and use water color paintings

And I can see my worry was justified. That looks like absolute ass

Did they fix the ridiculous load times?

looks pretty

>Game has paladins
>Multiple different orders
>Literally none are religious
What were they thinking

When there are 40 days left till release I will post a link to a large custom portrait collection.

Worth the wait.

Yeah, I've no idea what were they thinking.

Tom has specifically said that the load times issue has been addressed.

Into the blender with you.

>Worth the wait.

Wait in the sequel or in the original?

>someone's complaining
>it's a wizardfag
every time

So there is no health and endurance distinction now?
There is just health, and it regenerates completely after combat?

Yeah.

In Deadfire.

Shit. Guess I won't be playing the original anytime soon.

t. shit computer

So they removed the absolute retarded vancian casting system right? Its just per-rest to do the super charged versions?

Want to make a wizard but not if I have to deal with vancian casting

just imagine the time and cost of making that many portraits that are equal to the ones you can pick from. it looks great and its functional as watercolors, not to mention the ease of making them

Man this is funny shit. People bitched about Vatican casting and now that it's gone people in the forums are complaining that spells are boring and feel like normal skills now. Not talking about you but in general.

thats dumb.

No more endurance and good riddance. One of the main reasons why the endurance/health split was introduced in the first place was to limit the amount of healing a character can receive in combat. However, this has proven to be redundant, since PoE isn't an imbalanced mess like some other "RPGs" I'm not going to name now and the amount of healing that can be output in a fight from all sources is limited. Since spells now take longer to cast, there is no reason to limit the amount of healing a character can receive twice. Basically, removal of endurance is not going to impact anything significantly, only reduce the amount of annoyance.

They did? Is it cooldown based now or what? Per encounter?

Load times in the original aren't really bad now either. This is my rig and the load times aren't really unbearable. I get something like 10-15 seconds per load screen.

That's basically how I played my monk too. I save the wounds up so I can clone myself, but aside from that, it's just swift attack. I like being simple.

I felt like it was more of a reason to actually care about sleeping, I never slept in fallout new vegas even with survival on.

Gaycian meme system has been axed. Spells are per encounter now, BUT you can empower them to increase potency and this empowerment is limited per rest, I think.

I'll take wizards having consistent but boring spells over being 100% useless for 99% of the game because you have to save their spells for that one encounter

No shit sherlock.
I have a really old shitty HDD, so that's probably why my load times were 10-20 mins.

I think Sawyer said they're doubling the number of spells you get per level? Or is that already after that change?

Want to try something different on this PoTD run
Anyone has experience with an all druid party? Having everyone spiritshift sounds pretty fun, same for unbalanced Saywer disapproved lightning storms raining down everywhere multiple times.
Should they all have cat form? Is the +DR from bear noticeable? One of them has to be the tank after all, and it will be a while before op storms of perma stunning

>were
Try it now, I think the load times got somewhat lowered compared to early versions of the game.

>Ai is fixed
>Vancian casting is fixed

Okay so tell me they also fixed tanks not being able to hold aggro

I didn't bother enchanting anything until I finally killed the dragons. Just focused in one my favorite weapons and made them superb. Didn't bother with anything else specific.

It was either these watercolor portraits or having it be again like the first game where the vast majority of NPCs, including some important ones like Lady Webb, have nothing. I'd have preferred that, to be honest
But then you have the crewmembers getting full portraits for some reason, so at this point I'm just confused. Weird priorities these people have.

>Okay so tell me they also fixed tanks not being able to hold aggro
What, tanks can easily hold aggro even on PoTD
The vast majority of enemies are happy to cluster around Edér, honestly I can count on my hand the number of times one or two decided to break engagement, and these get knocked down by that feat they added in WM anyways.

Everyone is religious in Pillars. These paladin orders all have people praising different gods together.

>just imagine the time and cost of making that many portraits
That's the point, not all of the NPCs need portraits. Most of them are still going to be faceless stepping stones in your journey, having an ugly smear for a portrait won't change that.

Yeah, I agree.

Dont be a retard. They run in and start smashing the first thing they see. You have no way of making sure tanks are that target. So in the later parts of the game you are forced to cheese the game by bottle necking the literal armies of enemies that the lazy devs throw at you

Fuck you assholes. You are the reason why we're where we're at.

Those people are right. Spells are boring now. There's fewer of them and your strategy for every fight with casters is the same: Cast the most powerful shit over and over again. There's no downside to doing shit this way. Gone are the great fireballs you saved for when you saw another mage.
>But I just rested and went back for supplies, so I cast them all the time anyways
Well, then you're part of the problem.

They still have wounds, but you need to be knocked out for them to appear.

you should've known that whatever obsidian did, wizardfags would be complaining about it. they will never be satisfied

> barbarians refuse to where awesome armour
> Sanguine plate is DR12, naturally covered in blood and provides 2x Frenzy when hit by a crit

>They run in and start smashing the first thing they see
>You have no way of making sure tanks are that target
Have you tried sending him first?

>They run in and start smashing the first thing they see.
So send in your tank first.

>You have no way of making sure tanks are that target.
You have. It's called stealth, positioning and formation.

>So in the later parts of the game you are forced to cheese the game by bottle necking the literal armies of enemies that the lazy devs throw at you
There is absolutely nothing wrong with bottleneck tactics and even then they're not always better than some other approaches.

>Send him in first
>The first 20 members of the army circle around him and literally cannot fit any more
>They just rush towards the next guys and repeat.
>occasionally and for no reason they will just stop attacking your tank and go hit someone else

If they are going to make tank and spank game design they need to give me some way of controlling the fight. That is literally the entire point of tanks in a game.

>2x Frenzy
that's not what it says. how does this shit work anyway? does it benefit from greater frenzy?

>Cast the most powerful shit over and over again
> There's no downside to doing shit this way.
So exactly the same strategy as with the gaycian system, since resting after every fight was never an issue and merely an annoyance?

>Gone are the great fireballs you saved for when you saw another mage.
Why not empower your fireball under the current system then?

Don't know what to tell you, it worked for me

they aren't supposed to want to attack your tank, he's the lowest priority target, they are supposed to be forced to attack your tank by the engagement system. you're probably doing it wrong or don't understand

I hate the engagement system so much. It feels like it was designed to screw the players.

>Enemies can teleport and lock casters in place
>Playable characters can only engage up to 4 enemies at the most, and there are plenty of fights where enemies come in swarms, especially on higher difficulties
>Each enemy prioritizes target based on what kind of weakness they can exploit the best(low Def, low Fort, low DR to specific damage types, etc.)
>Caster classes have substandard stats and can't prebuff

Engagement just feels like a convoluted system that was there to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Not being able to prebuff is already enough to not make casters as overpowered compared to the games of old. Also keep in mind that you can't just focus on one or two attributes because of the way the system works, so even without the engagement systems casters are not going to be some hit and run powerhouse.

>Merely an an annoyance
Only if you went all the way back like a bitch. Be a man and use the supplies you came with.
The way to fix the vancian casting was to prohibit casuals from going back. Not this shit.
But empower is better than nothing, I suppose.

So what you're saying is that you do not have engagement capacity to hold all of your enemies? And the devs are somehow responsible for your retardation? Have you considered the concept of an off-tank? Or, gods forbid, a fully-fledged secondary tank?

>they need to give me some way of controlling the fight
They have. They've given you the ability to manage your party composition at will and even recruit non-story party members. They've also given you formations and stealth. Stealth, specifically, allows you to postpone bringing in certain members of your party into the fight, so that they could start attacking after all of the enemies have been tied up by your tank(s) to avoid drawing aggro.

>The way to fix the vancian casting was to prohibit casuals from going back.
This would have never happened, let's be realistic here. Prohibiting someone from going back in a certain cave under certain situational or lore related reasons in one thing. Making EVERY combat area a one-time-entry area would not work.

> implying I am not using pornographic photos as my custom portraits

That's pretty fucking cool. If you side with the Doemenels you get a note from the mother in brighthollow.

see
Its a case of bad game design. If they wanted to use an engagement system they shouldn't have put in fights with legions of enemies. Probably why they took down the number of actors in Deadfire

>My face when Durnace starts with a melee weapon but sending him into melee is instant death
>My face when Nigger Paladin has a two hander which is instant death
>My face when Druid Halfing uses a spear which is only viable when you cheese at choke points

So far the only functional way to play the game is two tanks and everything else ranged damage so it cant be attacked and instagibbed

Your entire argument is invalidated simply by the fact that you think allowing prebuffing is a good idea. I've said this numerous time before and I'll say it again: play Baldur's Gate 2 with the Tactics mod, it will show you just how cancerous prebuffing is when enemies are allowed to do it as well. Prebuffing should not exist neither for the player, nor for the enemy.

>THE CHILD SPOKE OF NIGHTMARES.
>One morning he showed up at Brackenbury in a panic, his worried aunt in tow. He told us tales of the hag who visited him. Every night she would find him as he slept, place her hand over his chest, and siphon his very essence into her. He wanted us to make it stop.
>My colleagues and I exchanged a glance.
>I asked how long he had experienced these “nightmares.” Almost his entire life. Ever since his parents died in a rowboat accident and he moved in with his aunt. He only summoned up the courage to seek us out after last night’s encounter, when he managed to tear a strip of cloth from the witch’s robe.
>“You can use that to find her, can’t you?” The child had done his research. I accepted the fabric and told him we would take care of everything, then instructed an initiate to lead him to the kitchen for a sweet roll. My colleague and I stayed behind with the aunt.
>“You have a lot of nerve showing your face here,” I said.
>She straightened her posture. “Would you prefer that I had locked him in the basement?”
>“Just keep your activities discreet,” said my colleague. “We can only help you if you help us.”
>“I’ve helped you plenty,” she said. “I believe I donated the east wing, and several of your finest devices. I shouldn’t have to defend myself here, of all places.”
>I put up a conciliatory palm. “My illustrious colleague is trying to say that we can all work together to avoid any complications. In the future, I would recommend a sedative for your... nephew, so that he sleeps better. I can find the appropriate herbs in the medicine locker. That should put an end to his... Well, it isn’t a nightmare if he can’t remember it.”
>Now that I’ve illustrated my involvement in those horrors—and everything that happened next—I have nothing more to say on the matter.
>—Suicide note from Brand Fyrtrig, assistant director of Brackenbury Sanitarium
Nani what the fuck

Sound like you're just garbage at the game desu
>My face when Durnace starts with a melee weapon but sending him into melee is instant death
>My face when Nigger Paladin has a two hander which is instant death
>My face when Druid Halfing uses a spear which is only viable when you cheese at choke points
lmao

Why isn't there a mod to add portraits to NPCs in Pillars?

you have bad brain design

Who's gonna draw them?

In the beta it's still only two spells per level. Hopefully that changes in the real game.

I just stayed out of it and let him do it. Also, I've seen people mention they got rid of Iselmyr but how?

What's her class?

>You will never Iselmyr

>First quest in PoE1
>Guy indirectly murders his friend by feeding him to a bear.
>Because he wanted to steal the guys wife
>But the guys wife was being beaten and he wouldn't let her leave him

>next quest
>grain farmer is selectively choose to give price breaks to people who need it like pregnant women while hiking up the prices on common folk because there is a finite supply of grain going around.

Who was in the wrong here

I've read that post and there is absolutely nothing objectively wrong with engagement.

Casters have tools to deal with being engaged just like most other classes that actually need those tools.

Statements like
>Engagement just feels like a convoluted
are non-arguments and do not warrant an argumentative response in the first place.

>implying I won't Iselmyr

Everyone.

My argument is that not being able to prebuff is already enough to curb the power of casters. The engagement system is complete overkill. That's why pretty much every class is better at ranged. Sure, you can do melee rogue and cipher, but they pale in comparison to the ranged counterparts. Even Paladins is better being ranged than an off tank because it makes marking target easier to boost an ally's accuracy.

You only really have her word that he beat her, it's one of those instances where you can't really make an informed decision. A lot of quests just have no "right" answer, which is an effort I salute.

Melee rogue doesn't pale in comparison to anything really, it's a fucking human blender
Ranged weapons are way too slow in this game to compete with melee

Pretty much. The only thing you do know for sure is that the guy fed his friend to a fucking bear. Over a bagina.

>A lot of quests just have no "right" answer, which is an effort I salute
It just makes me not give a fuck honestly

At least on POTD

You can use onces from all over the place.

Never ever

The guidebook was great. Same guy is writing the second one.

Looks like a Rogue to me.

>TFW you're glued to an enemy once you start combat
>No way to do footsies
>Just want to stay in range but move my position so I can line up so cone stuff.
>nope you have to pay damage tax

thats only true on non ranger classes though, sagani was one of my top damage dealers especially once you get stormcaller

No, that's not the reason why you're not giving a fuck.
You're not giving a fuck because a lot of those quests fail to engage you emotionally, and the reason for that is that they're way too simple or don't involve characters or things you care about. It wouldn't matter in that quest if you latter found the diary of the guy killed by the bear and he turned out to be literally hitler, you still wouldn't care because the conflict and characters in that quest aren't that interesting.

>muh balance

can we all agree that this braindead mindset is what killed RPGs?

Lack of prebuffing curbs the power of EVERYONE and puts it on the same level. Prebuffing gives you a MAJOR power advantage over non-prebuffed enemies and this brings the people who design encounters to the crossroads: design all encounters under the assumption that the player will ALWAYS prebuff and force the supposedly OPTIONAL prebuffing "tactic" on everyone, because the ecnounters are going to be much harder for players who do not wish to prebuff, OR design all encoutners under the assumption that the player WILL NOT prebuff, making most encounters in the game a joke, since prebuffing gives you a major power advantage.

The way to fix this is to EITHER allow the enemy to prebuff, which, again, practically forces the player to prebuff as well and results in a cancerous shitfest (again, see Tactics), OR disallow everyone from prebuffing, which puts everyone on equal footing and allows the devs to design encounters with a much more tighter level of difficulty.

Again, prebuffing is pure, undiluted cancer. I've played ALL of the IE and Aurora engine RPGs and EEVRY SINGLE game suffered from prebuffing being an option, as it allowed the player to practically steamroll most encounters that would be quite challenging had the player not been given the option to prebuff.

no, I think the anti-balance mindset is ultra stupid

People complaining about balance never played pillars and no

They already did that in POE1 for PoTD, it's that annoying rest supply limit.

Who cares, look at that ample chest.

Really? Why? I was thinking fighter

Melee rogues require a lot more babysitting, and probably have to wear heavier armor to avoid attracting enemies which increases recovery time.

well, yeah, rangers have a lot of unique talents aimed specifically at making ranged weapons good, but it really goes to show how much help they need

Reading it right now for the first time. That animancy chapter is amazing.

it's realistic

retard
dumbass

(You)

No, what he means is:
>enter a cave
>you cannot exit it unless you complete it
>alternatively, if you exit, you lose all progress (how the fuck would that work with items and quest progression)
It's a system that would never work.

>require a lot more babysitting

>it's too hard for me:(

pro tip you can do both

Melee rogues have the luxury of not relying exclusively on piercing weapons. You cannot compare melee rogues to ranged ones when it comes to damage output.

Really though outside of casters and rangers who is going to be using ranged weapons anyways

They're just there to keep your weaker party members away from the front line

I am not arguing against prebuffing, I am arguing against the engagement system.

A plate-wearing dual weilding rogue will out dps a naked ranged rogue everytime, that's not really up for debate.
You're right in saying it requires some micromanagement compared to just sitting behind but let's not blow it out of proportion, all you have to do is avoid them getting swarmed by several ennemies because a melee rogue will outduel pretty much anything.

I chose to believe the wife and side with the drunkards at the inn, but they were both hard choices.

Give me ONE objective argument why engagement is bad. Not a subjective opinion in the vein of "engagement feels convoluted", but an actual argument.

How does he out DPS the ranged guy when hes face down on the floor?

2x meaning twice per encounter, non-overlaping.

Meaning if you enter into Frenzy and it wears off, amd you get crit'd, you, re-enter into frenzy. Once that wears off, if you get crit'd again, you re-enter into Frenzy.

It does work with Greater Frenzy.

Frenzy.

Only fighters (and paladins?) have engagements in Deadfire, so you're not gonna have to worry about it as much. But also, there are abilities that let you teleport around.

its shit

Balance is important when you're playing a game where you can create a myriad of different characters and basically every character plays by the same rules.
I know that we all focus on the big nerfs, but remember that there's also buffs. Rangers and Paladins were worthless at launch and now they're fun. Even the most debuffed character like Cipher is still fun too.

not necessarily, they have a use in situations where it's unpractical for the entire party to go melee. Durgan battery or most engwithian ruins are made or tight corridors and chokepoints, and everyone should have a backup ranged weapon for those situations.

I'm guessing it will always be partially wasted by overlapping, but I'm also guessing it's still a really strong item because frenzy is cool, especially with 0 cast time, and 2 free per encounter is a lot

>melee rogue will outduel pretty much anything.
When that anything is debuffed to allow sneak attack and deathblows, sure. Otherwise? Not really.

Actually, you're right. She looks like a fighter.

>not having 25 might and 25 constitution on your melee glass cannon
scratch my head family

>25 constitution
>glass cannon

>All those face hair and beard options
>in a game where the camera is going to be miles away from you at all times.
>In a game where you'll be wearing a helmet all the time
>in a game where there are no ingame cutscenes

Why not just half ass the character creation and actually spend money on portraits since thats what you'll be looking at more often anyway?

>It's a system that would never work.
Why not?

rogue has its own per encounter abilities that enable sneak attack, and on top of that, is your priest not using interdiction, and is your wizard not using its massive stack of status effect spells

Ask TES games.

Shes obviously a druid you spergs

> all cat form
Mix and Max desu.

Part of the joy of an all x-class build is exploring all of the intricacies and nuances of that class.

> Tank Druid
> Heal Druid
> Melee/Burst Damage Druid
> CC Druid
> Ranged Damage Druid
> Utility buff/debuff Druid

Druid.

Just because you don't like the argument doesn't mean it is baseless. Without the engagement system, casters will still need to look out for teleporters, they still have to buff during combat to overcome their terrible base stats, and most of the effective spells have a long enough casting time that they can be interrupted. I don't see how removing the engagement system would make casters so terribly overpowered that it must be in place.

Even disregarding the fact that rogues have ways to apply the debuff themselves and proceed to stunlock anything in the game with the correct items...
...rogue will still do more damage than anyone else in melee because they have the tied best accuracy with fighter and with reckless assault and deep wounds on top of that

Well I don't have a better name for low deflection draining dps builds

There are crazy people that play the game zoomed in, for some reason. I'm always zooming out to the maximum it allows me.

Barbs would take more advantage of those debuffs because most of the fights are going to revolve around a ton of enemies rather than a few stronger ones. Rogue having close to zero AoE utility is a huge downside.

Don't even joke about that. Tyranny's combat is so bad.

What do reputations and dispositions have to do with Tyranny?

if you just want to argue that aoe damage is better than single damage I feel like you want a different conversation

I don't mind the efforts at "balancing" the game, but it feels a bit hollow when very obviously broken shit like DAoM exist, and when the AI is completely braindead and will follow you into whatever chokepoint you direct it towards.

I would rather have them put more efforts toward fixing the fundamental problems with RTwP that have been there since BG1, that make fights easily exploitable in a variety of ways, instead of painstakingly making sure some effects don't go overboard in utility (and failing at that).

Or you know, make sure the game doesn't have retarded bugs like the chanter invocation cancel shit.

Its the same thing but with cool downs instead of the retarded vancian system

I just want waifus

PoE one was seriously short on waifus

> the fundamental problems with RTwP
are you going to elaborate on what these problems are?

>"balancing"
so you another t. noarguments anti-balance brainlet?

If you exploit stuff like chokepoints it's your own fault, why should they fix it if thats the way you want to play it?

>it's the same thing except it's different
Uhuh.

>are you going to elaborate on what these problems are?

Probably that it's inherently shitty and should have been turn-based.

>Without the engagement system, casters will still need to look out for teleporters
Not even half as much, because they will be able to simply run away from them, making the "teleport" ability lose a large chunk of its intended effectiveness.

>they still have to buff during combat to overcome their terrible base stats
But here's the point: caster's don't really need to buff themselves defensively most of the time if you manage your enemies via engagement. Of course, when you have eleporting enemies that home in on your casters, that's a whole different story, but that's the very purpose of those enemies: to force engagement on your casters and force you to use the tools that casters have to deal with engagement.

>and most of the effective spells have a long enough casting time that they can be interrupted
Again, this is mitigated through proper formation and positioning as well as proper enemy management by tying them up with your tanks.

> I don't see how removing the engagement system would make casters so terribly overpowered that it must be in place.
The engagement system is not there for the sole purpose of gimping casters, it is there to prevent the player from kiting the enemy in retarded manner with no consequences. Sure, kiting has its place, but if you're kiting, you must bear some consequences for simply running away with your mage from a pursuing enemy, preventing that said enemy from landing a hit. It's fucking retarded.

Does POE2 use a 'X casts per rest' system like the first game?

>Attacks Fortitude instead of Deflection if Fortitude is lower

do you guys think this is a waste of time

No, it doesn't. It has X cast per encounter, after which the spells are restored automatically and you can cast them again in another encounter.

>you must bear some consequences for simply running away with your mage from a pursuing enemy,

not the guy you are replying to but the price you are paying is the loss of DPS from your mage being unable to act beyond running

>are you going to elaborate on what these problems are?
I did. Chokepointing is one of them, movespeed abuse to infinitely kite an AI that doesn't know how to respond is another, and more broadly, the fact that in that kind of action economy the ability to move around becomes completely broken as soon as your movespeed exceeds that of your enemies.

>so you another t. noarguments anti-balance brainlet?
what is YOUR arguement ? POE 1 is not "balanced", it's broken in a lot of ways, with a lot of obviously strong effects that trivialize the challenge. Any effort that went into that can be considered wasted if that's the end result.

GIVE ME THIS GAME RIGHT NOW
I DONT HAVE NOTHING TO PLAY
POE 2 IS THE ONLY HOPE FOR RPG GAMERS

Neat, I never liked the way the original game did it when I first played it

The notion of mana or cooldowns seriously offends and angers CRPG fans to irreasonable levels.
They cling to Vancian casting with their dear lives, I'll never understand them desu.

Because chokepointing is only enabled by an overreliance on large swarms of melee ennemies, very few ranged and caster ones, on top of a broken AI that will often forget to use it's ranged abilities if it's standing in a long queue leading to a chokepoint because it's concentrating all it's resource on a movement it cannot complete.
Chokepointing being so strong is a direct result of their poor design choices.

how is chokepoints related to rtwp? how is kiting not dealt with by engagement unless you want each encounter to last 20 minutes?

>what is YOUR argument

I didn't make an argument, I just took a dump on your laughable trash post

>POE 1 is not "balanced"

let's hear it

inb4 vancian fags start screaming casual and offering no arguments

Well, that entirely depends, but in POE1 wilders, beasts and primordials with high fortitude tended to have low deflection, so it can be situationally usefull (not against ennemy fighters tho, which tend to have high both).

Only thing I find odd is the people who whined about vancian casting in the Obsidian forums are now complaining about the lack of it. It's fucking weird.

>wizardfags: not even once

Wizardfags aren't satisfied unless they have an i win button

>Implying I'm not a Priestfag.

>combat system without engagement
>melee enemy gets close
>you run with your mage
>mage loses DPS, yet is technically invincible as long as he keeps running
>no resources are used

>combat system with engagement
>melee enemy gets close
>you cannot run with your mage without eating attacks over and over again
>you have to use a spell or a potion or a skill to defend yourself
>you lose DPS while defending yourself
>all of these are limited resources with limited duration or uses

Do you see where the problem lies?

>how is kiting not dealt with by engagement
Because it doesn't deal with it at all if you can move faster than the ennemy can catch up to you ? Are you retarded ?
Engagement fixes nothing. I can still kite anything in the game.

>how is chokepoints related to rtwp
it's related to the form rtwp takes in infinity engine games and their imitators, because the way they deal with movement makes it easy to create those situations in the first place.

>let's hear it
Can you not read ? Okay, here's a non exhaustive list.
- Why is DAoM the best buff in the game, and how does it not completely break any encounter ?
- Why is combusting wound, a low level spell, able to destroy entire groups of mobs faster than any high level spell when coupled with a fast ticking DoT effect like chill fog ?
- Why is consecrated ground, a lvl 2 spell, the strongest healing spell in the entire game by a wide margin when higher level spells still exist and are absolutely pointless ?
- Why is fortitude the only defense that matters ?
Here, have fun.

Friendly reminder there is console version planned for later this year for XO, PS4 and Switch

>Implying
Unless you mean romanceable waifus.

>I can still kite anything in the game
is your criticism of the game seriously based on taking move speed talents on your entire party and being a retarded autist?

>It's related to the form rtwp takes in infinity engine games
this isn't an infinity engine game
>because the way they deal with movement
no it's because the enemies aren't smart (like you :^))

>Can you not read?
I can't read things you don't post

>here are 3 spells that aren't balanced perfectly, GAME IS SHIT
user have you considered killing yourself

Yes, the limited resources bit is the problem. Luckily removing vancian casting in deadfire will fix everything. As will the fact that the engagement system is only going to function on like two classes.

Don't need to make an argument when I've already won

What a shitty post. At least take defeat gracefully and stop posting. I honestly pity you.

>Not even half as much, because they will be able to simply run away from them, making the "teleport" ability lose a large chunk of its intended effectiveness.

They will still take the initial hit from multiple enemies. They just won't get wrecked when they have to take more of those from disengagement attacks. You can avoid the teleports by having casters wear heavier armor and abuse chokepoints, but is that a good way to balance casters?

Personally, I feel that casters needing to wear heavy armor and thus take a huge hit on recovery time is not the way to go. Any non self buff spells already take a few seconds to cast with only dexterity being able to speed that up. Add that with recovery time(which admittedly is easier to shorten) I just don't think casters should be penalized even further in regards to their time to cast.

>But here's the point: caster's don't really need to buff themselves defensively most of the time if you manage your enemies via engagement. Of course, when you have eleporting enemies that home in on your casters, that's a whole different story, but that's the very purpose of those enemies: to force engagement on your casters and force you to use the tools that casters have to deal with engagement.

But the only way to manage enemies is through clogging chokepoints. Even if you invest points and equipment slots to increase engagement limits your tank is only going to hold at most 3-5 enemies. The other enemies will still go for the non tanks. Should every fight just be done at chokepoints? Casters do have ways to defend against engagements, but that would come at a cost of not being able to help the other party members. It devolves into casters trying to act in self defense while tanks do close to zero damage until casters are able to free themselves. They are just fighting individually at this point and not really together. Cont.

it was a pretty good post actually

>if you can move faster than the enemy
Not him, but how can you move faster than the enemy without expending limited resources like potions of speed/alacrity of motion or throwing away one of your equipment slots in order to use boots of speed?

>Engagement fixes nothing.
No, it fixes everything: it prevents the player from having an absolutely effective defense mechanism that consumes no resources.

Regarding chokepoints. Chokepoint tactics are strong in PoE1 only because the AI is fucking retarded. SOmetimes ranged enemies just stop firing or casting spells for a while until one of their buddies dies or moves. This is NOT a problem of design, this is a problem of AI coding, a fucking bug. The design itself is fine.

> Why is consecrated ground, a lvl 2 spell, the strongest healing spell in the entire game by a wide margin
>what is moonwell
>what is lay on hands that can heal for 200 hp in the blink of an eye

There's also Battletech

Vancian casting is cool and allows spells to be more powerful and impressive. I don't want every game to have vancian casting, but it pisses me off that no RPG whatsoever does it anymore, despite the fact it has its advantages. Same as RTwP, really.

it's shit though

Is there an easy difficulty? I just want to run thorugh the first game before second one arrives

>Luckily removing vancian casting in deadfire will fix everything.
Except it won't. Resources are still going to be limited per encounter, the axing of the vancian system removes only the annoyance.

>engagement system is only going to function on like two classes.
Guess which class is by far the most common in most sword&sorcery RPGs?

>your tank is only going to hold at most 3-5 enemies
Here's your problem: party composition. have an off-tank, something like a priest with a shield, shatterstar and hold the line talent to tank while he buffs everyone.

>They will still take the initial hit from multiple enemies.
They won't, if you start moving in a timely manner. Proof of this are IE games like BG2 or IWD games where you can tank any melee enemy even when your movement speed is below theirs.

>You can avoid the teleports by having casters wear heavier armor and abuse chokepoints
Or, you can put on a fucking arcane veil or have a shield on your priest, since you don't need accuracy for buffs.

>But the only way to manage enemies is through clogging chokepoints.
This is a meme. There are many combat areas in the game where chokepoints are simply not available. These areas require the player to have actually proper party composition and use formation+stealth to keep the enemies off their casters. These tactics work, they're just nto as effective as abusing chokepoints due to retarded AI.

Not an argument. You are probably the same kind of faggot that wants this game to be turned into a Turn-Based game too. There's no variety with you retards. Only what's accepted as the "right" choice.

>where you can tank any melee enemy
*where you can kite any melee enemy

actually I'm the kind of retard who just thinks vancian casting is shit. you're probably the kind of retard who eats faeces and puts his dick in animal butts

The problem with all these isometrics they've made in the past few years, pillars of eternity, tyranny is that the actual gameplay for combat is complete and utter shit.

There's story mode, it's easier than Easy.

Cont. I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I prefer the party to fight together as opposed to everyone doing their own things.

>Again, this is mitigated through proper formation and positioning as well as proper enemy management by tying them up with your tanks.

There is no proper positioning that can erase the AI's priority list. Each enemy AI will prioritize your party member using a variety of factors, from being able to do high damage on a specific damage type or low DR/one of the defensive stats. To make that priority list irrelevant casters would have to focus on buffing defense with their attribute/talent points and equipment and sacrifice damage and casting time. I think this is another matter of personal preference, but I don't like requiring casters to gimp themselves in order to help the party as opposed to just defending themselves.

>The engagement system is not there for the sole purpose of gimping casters, it is there to prevent the player from kiting the enemy in retarded manner with no consequences. Sure, kiting has its place, but if you're kiting, you must bear some consequences for simply running away with your mage from a pursuing enemy, preventing that said enemy from landing a hit. It's fucking retarded.

Needing to run away means not being able to buff and debuff to help the party, and it's not like enemies don't have debuffs on their own to cripple the casters. Even if the casters can run away they need to stand still to cast spells, and can still be interrupted during the process.

An argument that I can see for the engagement system is how broken DaoM is, but that's a balance issue for DaoM, not kiting in general.

Nah I'm not a complete retard, I just dont want to rest/run to an inn after every fight

>There is no proper positioning that can erase the AI's priority list.
if you want to fuck with AI target prioritization, use stealth. Put your casters in stealth and let the fight start without them. Once most enemies are engaged, make your casters leave stealth and do their job.

>casters would have to focus on buffing defense with their attribute/talent points and equipment and sacrifice damage and casting time.
So wait, what you're saying that in order to have increased chances of survival casters need to sacrifice their DPS or CC capability and take defensive spells and talents? Oh, the humanity! This is absolutely unacceptable! Casters should always be allowed to be glass cannons with zero consequences!

>Needing to run away means not being able to buff and debuff to help the party
Except running away does not consume resources. Casting defensive spells in order to not get fucked up while being engaged does. How is this hard to understand?

To be fair, it's probably not the same people making both complaints.

At least two are. One specifically said they're not happy with how it turned out in the end but wants it to be more Tyranny-esque (cool downs) rather than go back to Vancian.

Fucking cocksucker. And there's a faggot in there that wants the whole system to be classless, too.

Also, Deleterious Alacrity of Motion is not THE best buff, because the best buffs are always situational. DAoM is good for increased damage output, something like war paint or potion of eldritch aim is better for landing an affliction, displaced image is amazing for tanks tanking and so on.

No one wants your shitty and bland waifu, Sawyer.

>Here's your problem: party composition. have an off-tank, something like a priest with a shield, shatterstar and hold the line talent to tank while he buffs everyone.

An off tank priest/paladin can only do so much. On easier difficulties where enemies aren't abundant it's easier to pull off combined with taking advantage of the terrible unit collision. On hard or PotD it's just not possible to block every single enemy from reaching the casters. There's also the priority table the AI uses that I talked about in the previous post.

>They won't, if you start moving in a timely manner. Proof of this are IE games like BG2 or IWD games where you can tank any melee enemy even when your movement speed is below theirs.

You can't 'dodge' teleports. Even if you have your casters running around like a headless chicken once they teleport the casters are going to get hit. This isn't some action RPG. And you probably don't want casters to keep moving compared to holding still so they can cast spells.

>This is a meme. There are many combat areas in the game where chokepoints are simply not available. These areas require the player to have actually proper party composition and use formation+stealth to keep the enemies off their casters. These tactics work, they're just nto as effective as abusing chokepoints due to retarded AI.

Putting casters on stealth only helps them for a few seconds. Without chokepoints enemies will still gravitate towards casters. To completely neutralize the priority table casters will need to wear armor as heavy and do as little damage as the tanks. So we end up with heavily gimped casters with spells that is about half as potent as what it could be, or we have non gimped casters that spend most of the fights fending for themselves.

Cont.

Cont.

What I have talked about doesn't apply to all fights. There are some fights where your proposed solutions can work. But IMO there are too many scenarios where casters have to focus so much on defense that it's just not fun to play.

I don't know how people get theie caster to get swarmed everytime, I play on potd with eder as main tank and pallegina off tank, both have hold the line and enemies tend to just blob around them and rarely come close to my back line

I think what weirds me out the most about POE is how "consistent" the ennemy feel. In most other rpgs ennemies are kind of rubber-banded to your stats, they get stronger as you get stronger and ultimately nothing really changes, just the numbers get bigger and the effects get more exotic.

But POE1 slaps you over the head right off the bat with ennemies with like 65 accuracy, defenses in the 60s-80s, and spiders with fucking 15 DR reduction. The first levels are brutals, and you're pretty much fighting stat sticks that are numerically above you and you have to make use of the small amount of exotic effects act 1 gives you access to to prevail.

Then act 2 starts and... it's very much the same. The numbers don't really move much except hitpoints, which start inflating fast on some ennemy types, but you're still fighting the same defense numbers and the same accuracy numbers, it's just that now the fights are longer because damage inflation doesn't keep up with hitpoints inflation.

You soon reach this weird point in Act 2 where nothing can fucking touch you and you're basically a god, because you're still fighting mostly the same ennemies that you were fighting at lvl 3 except now you're level 9 with upgraded equipment and a lot of skills that upgrade you in a variety of ways.

Then they fuck it up with staelgars which feel like someone noticed this and decided to design the laziest sack of stats possible to increase the """challenge"""

I'm not sure if I like it or not. On one hand it makes the world feel slightly more believable, and it gives you a much stronger feel of how powerfull you're becoming. It avoids the problem with having to fight recolor of older ennemies (not completely - the game still pulls this shit with wolves > lions > staelgars and other similar obvious upgrade chains), on the other hand, it makes the early levels so ridiculously brutal and the endgame so hilariously easy that it feels like xcom.

>and spiders with fucking 15 DR reduction
That surprised me, I had no problem on them on hard but when i fought them in potd my fighter dropped like a fly and i had no idea what just happened

DAoM is good for everything because it allows you to act a million times in the time it would take it otherwise to take one action. It's pretty much the first buff you always cast because it allows you to do everything else you need to do much more easily.
And increase damage output translates into shorter time spent fighting which makes a lot of things like tanking much less relevant, because if the enemy cannot kill you before you blow them up, your defenses are irrelevant.

>An off tank priest/paladin can only do so much
They can do almost as much as a proper tank. All classes can engage 2 targets at the very least and you can extend that number to 3 with equipment. Compared to 5 engaged enemies with a fighter it's not that bad.

>On hard or PotD it's just not possible to block every single enemy from reaching the casters.
Not every single enemy is going to go after the casters. Fuck, even the ranged enemies ignore the casters more often that not. if casters being aggro magnets was such a big problem, then why aren't ranged enemies actually dangerous to casters most of the time? You're extremely overblowing the AI target prioritization issue, not every single enemy who can see a caster is going to go straight for him ignoring engagement, not every ranged enemy is going to target your casters.

>You can't 'dodge' teleports.
That's because there's engagement in POE and your character gets engaged the moment a spirit teleports to him. Remove engaged and, unless the attack the attack is carried out immediately after the teleport with no animation, you can run away.

Also, another issue I have not mentioned is tactics aiming at protecting your casters. All parties should have an off-tank and if they don't, they only have themselves to blame. If you build a party of 5 glass cannons and 1 tank you have only yourself to blame. If you're so afraid of your casters being targeted, why not leave your off-tank like a shielded priest near your mage and use him to intercept any enemy that goes for your caster? Why not REACT to enemies targeting your caster instead of relying only on pre-battle preparation tactics to protect them? Again, not every single enemy targets mages, a single off tank with 3 engagement slots should be enough to protect a wizard.

>You can't 'dodge' teleports. Even if you have your casters running around like a headless chicken once they teleport the casters are going to get hit.

actually if you run in a straight line the shadows teleport slightly behind you and aren't in range to make the followup it / don't engage you.

Was the first any good?

It's pretty good now, even if it has its issues.

I assume you're playing on POTD? It's an hellish difficulty that wasn't really designed for the first time.

In Tyranny, if your reputation was high enough with your allies, they would unlock joint combos. In PoE2 it would be something like, Eder and Aloth team up to reflect magic missiles off Eder's shield in a wide arc. etc.

>DAoM is good for everything because it allows you to act a million times
Yeah, act a million times in a game where spells are limited resources. I would rather buff myself with eldritch aim to land an affliction crit with greater probability than spam spells with shittier accuracy.

>It's pretty much the first buff you always cast
Lolno, definitely depends on the situation. The first spell I always cast on my wizard is mastered eldritch aim so that I can rain down accurate afflictions.

Yeah I pretty much only talk about potd because I feel like the other difficulty modes are irrelevant

Well, not sure the devs got that memo in that case...

>act a million times in a game where spells are limited resources
literally just rest my dude
> I would rather buff myself with eldritch aim to land an affliction crit with greater probability than spam spells with shittier accuracy
suit yourself but you're objectively killing shit slower than I am

>literally just rest my dude
Spells are limited resources per encounter.

>but you're objectively killing shit slower than I am
I don't kill anything with my wizard. I use wizards to land afflictions. A single well placed high-accuracy confusion effect is what I want out of my wizard, not a fireball. Again, DAoM is good for increasing DPS, but it's a situational buff and there are better buffs for different situations.

In Tyranny, if your reputation was high enough with your allies, they would unlock joint combos. In PoE2 it would be something like, Eder and Aloth team up to reflect magic missiles off Eder's shield in a wide arc. etc

>Spells are limited resources per encounter.
not as limited as your health my dude

Well, if you're seriously talking about group play I won't comment because with a full group you could literally slam your face on the keyboard and win every fight so gameplay discussions are irrelevant.
But if you're soloing as a caster and don't plan to cast DAoM asap every fight I have some bad news for you

That sounds stupid

What the hell, that sounds dope.

Combo moves won't be in PoE. That's retarded.
Also, a faction and relationship system isn't necessarily based on Tyranny. Could just as easily describe it to New Vegas.

How do you unlock the last level of that soulbound hat ? Do I have to rest at every inn or what ?

Do what it says

So do I use my beers or something ? This is very confusing

>Do I have to rest at every inn or what ?
Go to every inn in the game. Buy a beer and drink it. Yes, this includes the inn in Heartsong.

when are they nerfing sunder

You unlocked abilities depending on reputation with each faction as well (hated/liked).

Like the symbols above your allies in the pic.

Did you play Tyranny? The pic lines up almost perfectly with that system.

>Vancian casting is cool and allows spells to be more powerful and impressive. I don't want every game to have vancian casting, but it pisses me off that no RPG whatsoever does it anymore, despite the fact it has its advantages.

dark souls did it

but dark souls used a fixed rest system (the bonfires) and enemies respawn when you rest, so the amount of magic you have to get through a given section of the game is strictly limited. most games are too lenient about resting or respawning, so vancian systems become pointless.

Ranged enemies are more likely to stay on tanks because they can be attacked. Melee enemies on the other hand will go for casters because, even with high engagement limits, once the tank is surrounded they can't properly engage the tank and start hunting for others. Doesn't help that collison is not smooth so when it comes to enemy parties of 10+ the tank might not be able to take full advantage of the engagement limit. Also, the priority table will mark anyone with low damage on the lowest priority, so the table doesn't just force casters to generalize defense and offense, it also forces tanks to do the same. With the attribute system, the xbox hueg enemy party size, the priority table, the inability to prebuff as well as stealth being useless, it already disincentivize specialization. The engagement system forces generalization even more which I felt wasn't needed.

Honestly, I feel that the priority table should be less of a mess and be more accessible to players. That way players can plan around it instead of homogenizing every party member. That would probably do more than removing the engagement system.

No it doesn't. The symbols are factions, people and dispositions. I don't see a room for combo abilities.

>potions modified by might
>second wind isn't

>>potions modified by might
Explain this, cucks of eternity.

I remember them, stuff like the Fatebinder flinging Verse into the air and her shooting everyone around her. Think she had another where you knocked them down and she'd fuck them up badly.

I-I thought Tyranny was all bad.
What is this.

Except both Cipher and Chanter had some badass spells, and they are not Vancian.

Around what level/time should you head to do the White March content?

>even with high engagement limits, once the tank is surrounded they can't properly engage the tank and start hunting for others
So have your off-tank intercept those that go for the wizard. Are you really arguing that a single tank should be able to hold off an entire enemy party all by himself? Really?

>Also, the priority table will mark anyone with low damage on the lowest priority
There's nothing wrong with this, however, this is not how the game behaves 100% of the time. more often than, enemies go for the first thing they see and more often than not they do not break engagement.

>stealth being useless
Wrong. As I've already said, stealth allows your casters to enter combat when most enemies are already engaged. Yes, you lose DPS and CC, but that's the price you pay for being safe.

>The engagement system forces generalization
Except it doesn't. It "forces" proper party composition and proper tactics of protecting your casters and it does this very well. It does not force every character to have high DPS so that they can pull aggro when needed.

>the priority table
Is an overblown issue. Even if you have your caster shit out multiple freezing rakes, melee enemies don't just break all engagement and home in on your caster. Some of them might, but most don't. Those that do can be intercepted by an off-tank. Don't have an off-tank? That's your problem, practice proper party composition next time instead of building 5 glass cannons and a tank and if you want to play that party composition then face the consequences.

In the end, it sounds you're refusing to adapt to enemies switching aggro. It's pretty ironic coming from someone who considers himself a hardcore potd player.

>why does my pajama magic man keep dying? obsidian pls

wizardfags kys

Lvl 7-10. I recommend to do it as near to the end as possible.

6-7 if you want to do it as early as possible.
9-10 after you finish Act 2 if you want to leave the best for last. Upscaling is available from lvl 9, I believe.

Dark Souls is not an RPG and even if it were, it'd be an "Action RPG", a.k.a. an action game like Diablo 3

>took barbaric yell instead of frenzy

how badly did I fuck up? this skill is horrible, the ai cancels it half the time, and the other half the time it casts it twice in a row at the start of the fight while only 1 guy is in range

When you smash the bottle in your face, it breaks and the glass makes cuts that let the liquid enter straight into the bloodstream for better absorption. Need to be strong enough to break the glass, more might equals more cuts and so on.

Checkmate balancefags.

So do you go back to being a lvl 1 little bitch?
Is there an in-game explanation for it or is it just assumed enemies are that much tougher than they were in PoE?
Do you get to keep your stuff?

Eothas fucked your soul when destroying your keep

>So do you go back to being a lvl 1 little bitch?
Yes
>Is there an in-game explanation for it or is it just assumed enemies are that much tougher than they were in PoE?
For the player character, your soul got sucked by Eothas. For the companions you meet later like Aloth and Edér, not really.
>Do you get to keep your stuff?
No, but some of it is supposed to come back in some fashion later in the game

Respecs are basically free, user.

>Is there an in-game explanation for it
You die.

We were also brought back to life by Berath.

I know, but I wanted someone good to tell me if I'm mistaken somehow

>I wanted someone good
I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place.

I never played a Barbarian, sorry, user.

So I'm level 5 right now and I'm running around in Defiance Bay doing quests.

All of my party is equipped with fine gear. Am I ever going to be swimming in coins enough to upgrade them all to exceptional, or even superb? The coin requirement seems insane at this point.

I'm playing on Hard.

Have no doubt about it. It's more ridiculous in POTD, but even in Hard, you will be swimming on money in no time. Just grab everything you can and sell what you don't need. Hell, the Stronghold basically just serves for you to waste sink money into.

I suppose it might say something that literally no one else in the village misses him, but those kind of incongruities are all over the place so that might not mean anything.

It depends on how much you slaughter, but yeah, money isn't really an issue.

This but I'm worse off. I kinda feel like spending all my money on stronghold upgrades was a bad meme and I have been tricked.

The money is there to allow you to buy all the potions and scrolls you want. Potions and scrolls actually cost a lot in this game. A single proper healing potion costs 1k gold.

Anyone with the beta what reactions have there been to the different godlikes so far?

>A single proper healing potion costs 1k gold
Crafting two only costs like 300-400 though, doesn't it?

You should be rich AF after liquidating Raederik's keep.

In Defiance bay, run quests for the 3 factions, each of their intial quests land about 3,000cp each and you can do all three before having to pick sides.

Clear out the Catacombs in Copperlane, a lot of scrap loot droos down there. Same with the first few levels if Endless Paths.

Did you upgrade your keep?

Yes.

Yeah, crafting is cheaper, so you should craft whenever you have the ingredients.

Get the Warden Lodge asap
The bounties all give fat xp

>In Defiance bay, run quests for the 3 factions, each of their intial quests land about 3,000cp each and you can do all three before having to pick sides.
To get Pallegina, I went to the docks and did that merchant's quest right after I entered the city. In the quest I defended him from the Doemenel mercenaries.

Now my affliation with them is: Terror (Overwhelmingly Negative).

How much content did I lock myself out of by doing that?

Two short quests. Don't worry about it.

>Only fighters (and paladins?) have engagements in Deadfire

NANI?!

Its not that great, but it isn't as bad as most people will make out. Games pretty short, and I only liked about two of the party members, Lantry and Sirin. The rest I didn't really care for. If that expansion that added random encounters and more side quests was part of the base game, it would have been a lot better.

stronghold upgrades are essential and i think with more prestige your stronghold generates more money.

the gear will come with time. there are definitely some upgrades that are worth it like the bounties and the follower missions

Don't worry about them. And the merchant will show up in PoE2. Lucky bastard.

Why is it more ridic in PotD, do the drops change or does the increased enemy count make the difference?

TORRENT.
I CAN'T FIND ANY.

Yeah, it's the enemy count. You get thousands from humanoid enemies, fighting more of them quickly adds up.

There isn't one. It's called being a dedicated community.

There isn't one. It's called lack of interest.

Someone's assmad.

I don't get how you are so confident that a tank and an off-tank which need to sacrfice tanking capability to increase damage and engagement limit can hold every enemy at bay. Even if the collison doesn't work against them and they manage to engage every enemy at once they are not going to last long due to the forced generalization. Casters would have to come out from stealth quickly and do their shit, and we are back to square one where enemies will start going for casters instead. The priority table is a big fucking deal. It is a specific list for enemies to target specific types of defenses and damages from your party members. And from my experience enemies are willing to break disengagement when the defense or damage between the DPS and the tank differ.

>Except it doesn't. It "forces" proper party composition and proper tactics of protecting your casters and it does this very well. It does not force every character to have high DPS so that they can pull aggro when needed.

With the current systems of PoE 1 it doesn't just force a balanced composition of frontliners and backliners. It forces them to have mediocre offense and mediocre defense so casters don't stand out too much as one that does damage with weaker defense and tanks don't stand out too much as a brick wall that doesn't do much damage. A silver lining is that I don't think high int is targeted so casters can have effective debuffs without attracting enemies like honey.

At this point it's way beyond the engagement system. All the systems PoE uses force every party member to be as average on everything as possible. Yes, you can still create parties with specialized members, but you have to follow exact builds on attributes, talents, and equipments. Running any strategy that doesn't rely on an exact build is going to ensure that every fight will be a slog to go through, regardless of how 'proper' your party is.

Yeah, posting anime girls indicates that much.

Monk/Barbarian here, I will literally kill everything.

lol what a fag
tell me how torrenting what's basically a demo by another name would hurt the game
i can pirate the full game as soon as it's out, i just want to see the new mechanics in action

WHO /ONLY CLERICS/ HERE?

>so I can clone myself
excuse me?

The off-tank doesn't actually need to sacrifice anything, which is actually a problem, since I would rather have there be consequences for priests being off-tanks. The Priest is the best off-tank, because you can give him the biggest shield, the fattest armor and he will still retain 99% of his effectiveness, since he doesn't need accuracy for buffs.

>hold every enemy at bay
Why should you be able to do so? The dedicated tank holds up to 5 enemies, the off-tank holds up to 3 who go for the wizard. The rest? They should be fending for themselves, unless, of course, you have more glass cannons, but, again, that's your problem - a problem of party composition. A single tank should not be able to tank groups of ten+ enemies and hold them indefinitely, period. It's fucking retarded.

>It forces them to have mediocre offense and mediocre defense
>engagement forces generalization of character builds
Nope, engagement doesn't force you to do that. You CAN do that in order to prevent your wizards from being targeted, but that's not the only way to play. Again, there are multiple ways of protecting your casters starting with making every single party member an average Joe and ending with using a dedicated off-tank to intercept enemies going for the wizard. Wizards also have inherent defenses like arcane veil, powerful defensive spells like displaced image and druids/clerics can tank by themselves, so it's not really a problem as long as you have all your spells.

You've found one way of dealing with enemies switching aggro, congratulations, but it's not the only way and the game doesn't force you to play in that way only.

If you can pirate it then there's no incentive to back the project

I've played with a full party of very specialized character on PotD one of whom is a max DPS rogue and even she does not get targeted very often, because I engage with her out of stealth when most of the enemies are tied up with Eder. Enemies almost never break engagement from Eder even while I'm shanking them in the back with sneak attack. Some of them may switch to the rogue, but they don't actually break away from Eder, so I can just disengage with the rogue, eat a single disengagement attack and find a new back to stab. Those who go for Aloth get intercepted by the off-tank Durance. Durance has a big fucking shield with a big fucking accuracy penalty and full plate, but he doesn't give a fuck, because he doesn't need accuracy to land buffs and you don't need to spam buffs that rapidly. Grieving mother has psychovampiric shield and a small shield and can paralyze almost at will, so she is far from defenseless. Pallegina has double lay on hands, so she can take a hit or two. My party does not consist of glass cannons, but neither does it consist of "average Joes". I do not have to resort to build generalization to protect my caster, because the game does not actually force me to do it, since there are alternative ways. If you want to do so - you can, but, again, it's not the end all.

And done, wonder if I should reload and just get the talents instead

>excuse me?

The Dichotomous Soul, it's the monk level 13 skill

>using Kana
>ever

Time to get back into the game then.

>not getting +25 acc when fighting dragon

>not using the chanter song that gives massive accuracy and damage boost against Beasts

You did good, my man. Fuck the Doemenels.

It's true. Engagement's reign of terror is over.

Nevermind it's 20acc and 30% more damage

Was the first game any good?

Yeah the combo moves were actually pretty sweet.

The talents might be better. But Llengrath is an asshole and had it coming.

Yeah. Pretty good. Not revolutionary, but one of the best RPGs of this decade.

Best post-Vegas RPG.

yes, very. Not obsidians best but far from their worst.

What's Obsidian's worst? Other than Dungeon Siege III and Tyranny

I hated Pope's pretentious dialog, setting and story but still finished it because of the soundtrack. Partly because of the gameplay being okay-ish.

Is Dead fire going to double down on the "DUDE WE'RE LIKE, AN INDIE DEVELOPER. HERE'S HALF A PHONE BOOK WORTH OF TEXT OF ONE CHARACTER RELIVING MEMORIES OF HEARING A FUCKING BELL RING ONCE"?

And more importantly, did they hire the same composer? PoE music was toptier comfy.

The writing is definitely snappier this time around. There's also no backer characters or gravestones, which reduces the word count by 70% alone.
Same composer. Justin Bell. Expect more of his great derivative work. And check Tyranny's soundtrack out, while you're at it. Don't actually play the game, though.

>Dungeon Siege III
I love this meme. DS3 is the best game in the shitty franchise and has more choices&consequences than most "RPGs" out there. I'm actually playing it lazily these days and I'm enjoying it immensely. It's also balls t the wall hard. I had more problems with some DS3 bosses than with anything in Dark Souls games. It's a solid 8/10 game, fuck the haters.

The worst Obsidian game is Alpha Protocol. Everything about the characters and reactivity is top notch, but the gameplay itself is pretty shit.

It was alright, expansions were pretty good.

>did they hire the same composer?

Justin Bell (the composer) is an in-house audio designer at Obsidian and yeah, he's composing for deadfire too.

>using the word derivative

uhg... this is an enjoyer of obsidian titles...

>The worst Obsidian game is Alpha Protocol
Fucking wow.

Tyranny's soundtrack is definitely the best thing about it.

I liked the characters and reactivity, but the gameplay was shit. As a game, it's really not good.

it's not though. I like the combat personally and I thought I was a hardcore turn based fan but the highs of winning in combat are much better in real time with pause cause the clock is against you. pause is for when you can assess like in a turn based but you let your actions pan out and hope you made better choices, fights are fun as fuck

How is Eador Imperium m8? I liked MotBW, is it an improvement?

Imperium is the only Eador game I've ever played. I haven't played it much, since I try to play mostly RPGs, but from what I've seen it felt like a complex HoMM "clone" that actually tries to expand on HoMM gameplay instead of just blindly copying it with zero improvements.

>Tyranny
>Bad
I fucking hate this meme. It wasn't great (it was decent tho), true, but after added patches the game became really, really good.

I have Tyranny, but I don't have the DLC. Are the DLC worth it?

Did it? The only thing I remember was them adding a ending where you can stay loyal to Kyros.

To the Beta players. How good are the ghost heart animals?

>The worst Obsidian game is Alpha Protocol

I didn't even know taste this shitty was achievable in real life.

I just hate the cool down skills. Makes it feel too much like MMOs to me.

>Đeadfire

Nope, nope, nope, SO FUCKING MUCH NOPE!!
>pic related

Oh well, I have another character who took the deal so I guess i'll leave it like that

Will they ever be satisfied?
>We don't want vancian casting!
Fine. Now we have an empower system.
>Empowering is boring and people just empower strong spells!
What the fuck do they want?

Cooldowns
And then turn based

At this point I'm almost sure the "backers" are larianiggers in disguise trying to ruin Obsidian. Almost.

I played it on release and actually liked it, what did they add?

It's the wheel of genders. Each symbol is a non-newtonian genderfluid suspended in disbelief.

>Fixed act III
>Added companions quests
>You can stay loyal to Kyros
>Some minor combat changes

Shockingly someone brought up cool downs and they were pretty hard against it. Well most of them anyway.
>Turn based
I see a lot of them preferring a spin off to be turn based. So that's safe.

HA HAH ASO F*CKING FUNNY??

Are they gonna switch to a decent combat system or are they using the same antiquated shite from 1?

u mad?

Cringe

Pleb

>no cooldown
>no vancian
Then what the fuck do they want, Mana?

TRIGGERD
R
I
G
G
E
R
D

>Cringe
hi phoneposting redditor, how's your "girl"friend doing, is "she" getting enough black dick?

F*ck both ya'll Trumpets........

sure got me there phoneposting numale. i didn't know a strict diet of soybeans and black cock made one good at comebacks.

>Cred Forumstard replying seriously to an obvious Cred Forumstard falseflag
Embarrassing

>phoneposting

Stop feeding him holy shit

every inn except the ones in white march