Why is there such a huge gap between critical and fan consensus of this game?

Why is there such a huge gap between critical and fan consensus of this game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vktt4g1jKqU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*critical/fan consensus and Cred Forums contrarianism

Konami went all out bribing reviewers since Kojima spent so much money on the thing.

I think you meant:
>Why is there such a huge gap between what Cred Forums thinks of this game and what the rest of the Internet thinks of this game?
Only Cred Forums pretends like it's overall a bad game. Everyone else just knocks off points for it being unfinished.

Because fans wanted something the game had no intention of providing.

It's supposed to be one of those "systemic" games like Breath of the Wild, fans wanted a more classic storyfocused game.

first time the critics had even heard of snake

Critics aren't autists who hate the game for not matching the retarded fanfics they came up with before release.

Pretty much this.
I was disappointed at the time, but love it now. My favorite game this gen after Dishonored 2.

90% of people try to find deep shit in Hideo games and MGSV has a lot of tips fedora moments
It's an insult to video games and without the metal gear brand it would be considered eurojank Elex tier

MGSV plays smoothly as fuck. It's like the opposite of jank, you fucking retard.

>the current decade
>believing payed shills

It's 60fps jank. Empty, full of glitches, bugs and terrible pacing

It's like with The Last Jedi. Fans hate it and for very good reasons while people that are casual about the series are ignorant to why it's shit.

Don't bother, anyone using meme words like "eurojank" is retard tier.

The only people that think it is good are people that haven't played another MGS game. Sure by itself it is semi-okayish. But when compared to any other main title MGS game, it falls short in nearly every aspect.

>terrible pacing
>minimal cutscene to gameplay ratio (cutscenes are needles in a haystack.)
>shallow characters with little reason given to why we should care for them
>good music when it happens, but like the cutscenes it is very minimal
>of course it is unfinished in story
>minimal dialogue

Overall it feels like a beautiful open world game that is fun to fuck around with, but as an installment in a long standing story strong series, it feels very empty and void in comparison.

Whoah, come on. I am a fan and have my issues with V but putting it down to TLJ levels in your comparsions is just unfair. I would have to think hard to find a vidya equivalent of TLJ in terms of shittiness. V is better than that.

You don't know what jank means.

The game is very good, especially technically. I played it with no markers or any other helpers, was fun. Never finished it through, because suddenly the story required me to do everything i did before to do again.
That was where i realized that the game is shallow garbage that focuses on repetitive open-world grinding.

I'm saying it's like eurojank you dumb redditor
MGSV is the elex of japanese games. Even Dynasty Warriors 9 is better than MGSV

But it's loved by both critics and fans now. Hell, it came out second in numerous "Favorite in the series" polls. Literally only a vocal minority on Cred Forums and retarded normies on Facebook don't like it.

>the only people that think it is good
>being this delusional
Are there bigger faggots in this world than self proclaimed true hardcore MGS fans?

I was throwing your own argument back at you. You claim only people on Cred Forums dislike the game, and for illegitimate reasons.
Now you realize how stupid you sound.
and it is a shit game

Pretty much anyone who had played the previous games was confused by the large slew of filler missions and abrupt ending, anyone who cared found out it was unfinished because of Kojima firing and got annoyed.

MGSV isn't really hated that much as much as people hate Konami for thinking they meddled with it and Kojima.

you don't know what jank means. there's nothing janky in mgsV

>fan consensus
Don't EVER confuse this with Cred Forumss contrarian shitposting.

Games are almost never discussed here. It's largely a place for people to vent and pretend like they know something.

>one of those "systemic" games like Breath of the Wild
Stop parroting what you heard in a video 3 days ago.

>trying to force your own opinion and make it seem like everyone 'important' has it
Fuck outta here, brainlet
>and it is a shit game
If MGSV is shit then the whole series is garbage

Because It's a very bad game with a core systemic gameplay with a whole lot of potential underneath.
MGSV could've been great, but a bad director, badly made design, focus on timers and a non sensical progression system killed it. At this point, I'd say Kojima is nearly outing himself as a hack.
He can direct a damn good cutscene and cut some great trailer, but his game design has been going downhill since Fukushima left.
>Create systemic gameplay systems focusing on player expression
>Undercut them by lazily copy-pasting Peace Walker's progression system which depends entirely on a specific type of gameplay focused around actively and non-lethaly removing elements from the map
>Terrible grading system that is a relic of old games at this point, and cripples pmayer expression by only rewarding very specific types of gameplay (non-lethal or very fast)

The fulton system made sense for a portable game about grinding and upgrading your base and weapons. It should not have been used in MGSV. Base upgrades and weapons unlocks should've been tied to POW rescue missions and recruits based on your playstyle to incentivize multiple playthroughs and different progression trees: for example, by playing lethaly you get more combat focused recruits and unlock more lethal weapons.

>full of glitches, bugs
Like what?

Its a good Game
Its a bad MGS Game

Fukushima didn't design the games you fucking retarded. He also did nothing but the codecs.

What about God Hand?.

So it's not a systemic game?

So
>it's not the same game yet again so it's bad waaah

nice meme

i liked it but i also have only played two other MGS games

Define systemic game.

The only thing that matters is if YOU had fun with it or not

/thread

>ooo, if I call him a redditor, that will cancel his argument!
>let me move the goalposts while I'm at it, too

the game is fine, the stupid story is the problem.

I liked it a lot. Then again, my expectations were low after PO, 4, PW and MGR. Playing it with all the visual shit turned off and fucking around as much as I could was immensely satisfying. It's absolutely in my top 3 metal gear games.

Im not saying its not the same game you fuckwit, gameplay is fucking magnificent, the story is where kojimbo dropped the ball, also forced to finish the game early because konami.

According to kojima. And Ghost Babel proved that he understood the series arguably better than Kojima

The story is just as stupid as the other games' were. Problem is, it takes itself way too seriously and it's stretched over 50 hours of gameplay.

>only Cred Forums dislikes this game

sure maybe in the first week or so of release but it's almost universally accepted now the game was lack luster, unfinished and overall a mediocre game and not a very good MGS game.

im not as good with the words as the youtuber who made the video that user was "parroting". MGSV fits the description

I don't believe that at all considering the massive drop in quality once Fukushima was gone.

he means systems that dynamically effect each other. its the new buzzword.

You still dont get it, the story is bad because it was half finished because time constrains, not because it still has supernatural and political stuff in it, damn you're dense user.

Yes but the story is also literally unfinished/half baked. Opposed to the other games where theres more story than you can shake a stick at

Konami should bring Fukushima back and push him hard as the true mind behind Metal Gear. Give Hideo "hack fraud" Kojima that one final middle finger

Anything beyond MGS3 was a mistake.

I liked it.

Because critics just care about the game as it's own independent entity, where fans look at it as part of a franchise. As a fan of the series MGSV is fucking cancer and I hate that I was excited for it. But on it's own merits it's a very fun game even if it's a bit empty at times.

>half finished
retard

If Jim Sterling is to be believed, they took reviewers and put them in a highly controlled environment where they were only given 40ish hours to play. Not long enough to see how padded and unfinished the second half is

Because it was pure love that was stolen away before Kojima could bring us to climax

Those were only the first ones to post reviews, on August 23rd.
>padded
It's not padded, and if you've played Peace Walker you would know that you need to play 2 side ops to unlock new story missions. The repeat ones are optional.
>unfinished
It's literally finished. Blame Konami for falling out with Kojima and cancelling the Eli DLC.

it was confirmed fake

there wasnt enough cutscenes/big bossu kief voicing

I still haven't finished this bastard, it's so much of a fucking ordeal. Who decided that MGS games needed grinding? I'm not sure if Kojima is certifiable, or if this game was just his way of rebelling.

Critics don't know shit about video games, if you unironically listen to their opinions you're a retarded mouthbreather

and Cred Forums does?

Main quests near the end that are just hard mode of earlier quests, that's padding.
And I don't care who's to blame, the ending just sucked.

Cred Forums is a hell of a lot closer than video game journalists... does that scare you? Because it should.

>are just hard mode
Yeah, and they're optional. You don't need to play them. The ending part is subjective.

I liked Ground Zeroes better over this entire fucking game.

Cred Forums just chose Nier Automata as their GOTY. A game with trash open world and mediocre gameplay. Cred Forums is no better than critics.
No you didn't. You're just lying to yourself.

Literally why would you ever listen to paid shills? I'll trust Cred Forums over them any day of the week

yes i fucking did you faggot

I don't trust either desu.
Sure you did.

1 mission was better then like 40 filler missions.
Fuck off.

There are at least 10 missions that are better than the garbage shoebox mission that was GZ. Fuck off.

>minimal cutscene to gameplay ratio (cutscenes are needles in a haystack.)
>minimal dialogue
These are considered positives by the broader community as a whole. MGS4 was given endless shit for how many cutscenes there were interrupting and fucking up the gameplay.

Alot of that seems to make sense though. Why build up a base full of soldiers if you arent even going to use them for anything but gacha-tier missions?

Me too.
At least Ground Zeroes was fucking finished.

just because it's a great game doesn't mean it's a good game, fuck off.

>trash open world and mediocre gameplay
Are you describing Automata or MGSV? Because at least Automata is a complete game

Konami forced journos to rush through the game in specific events and base their reviews off that, so they couldn't see either ending and understand how deeply unfinished the game was. Still fun though, I'm having a good time replaying it surprisingly.

>friend plays this as his first MGS game
>watches trash like walking dead
>highly praises it and calls everything else in the series not fun

If GZ were like TPP it would've ended as soon as you rescued either Chico or Paz.

Game journalists are fucking casuals with famously bad tastes, that's why.

Yeah because
>rescue this man, he knows about (THING)
>kill this man because knows about (THING)
>destroy this thing because uhhh
was totally better then 1 mission with an actual story

Of course Automata. MGSV shits all over Automata in both categories.
>is a complete game
So is MGSV, retard.

Because the "professional" "game journalists" were taken to a "boot camp" in which they had a limited amount of time to complete the game

Prologue: Awakening
Phantom Limbs
Where Do The Bees Sleep
Cloaked in Silence
Hellbound
Blood Runs Deep
White Mamba
Code Talker
Skull Face
Sahelanthropus
Shining Lights, Even in Death
A Quiet Exit
Truth: The Man Who Sold The World

All missions with stories. Also GZ had filler missions too and the "story" was not an actual story.

I'm also not including all the cutscenes and story moments that are independent from missions. Plus Paz.

>le "MGSV is unfinished" reddit maymay
Unless you feel like taking a time machine back to 2011/2012 and telling Konami to drop the PS3/360 versions, the game is finished. The devs did all they could within the limits of old-gen hardware, and no amount of dev time could've "completed" it.

>"b-b-but muh episode 51/chapter 3!"
Cut because of hardware limitations; had 51 been "completed" then all it would've been is [Extreme] Sahelanthropus Part 2: Africa Oongaboongaloo.

Source?

Wow, 13 whole missions (2 of them being tutorial walking simulators)

Meanwhile Peace Walker had 30+ missions that directly furthered the plot alongside side missions with actual variety.

The same user confessed that he made it up a few days later.

MGS4 if you skip literally every possible cutscene has probably about less than 5 points in-game where it's a large-ish map to play around in.

It's got really good gameplay but fuck if there wasn't much of it in it.

Peace Walker had 5 minute missions that consisted of getting from point A to point B and most didn't further the story in any way.

Such as? Literally every single main mission in that game ends with a cutscene furthering the plot. It's basically a traditional linear Metal Gear game story wise except having to load in and out of missions to advance the plot.

Peace Walker also had 7 Zadornov is missing missions.

I'd say I got my moneys worth from the game but it's still arguably one of the weakest MGS games. Following the Peace Walker mission structure broke the games flow far too much. That kind of design works well for a portable console game which is likely to be played in short bursts but for a home console/PC release, nah. Skullface should have had more of a presence in the game seeing as he fucked up MSF.

By that logic almost every mission in MGSV except the repeats further the plot in some way, just with fewer cutscenes and more in-mission dialogue and post-mission debriefings.

Because all those review websites are absolute shit tier and have never played any of the previous MGS games, and probably only play video games for 2 hours at the most a week

>both categories
The open world in MGSV is even worse

>So is MGSV
Now this is shitposting

they also play it as a job and would probably try to use this website to convince people that a reviewer easymode should be mandatory for now on so they can churn out more lies and do their "le job" more easier

The critics were more concerned with sucking Kojima's dick. While the fans were too busy walking for half an hour through an empty African desert.

No, MGSV's mission justification is trivial horseshit that doesn't advance the plot in any significant manner.
>"Boss, got a request from a rebel group that may have a lead on Cipher. Go take out these tanks, ASAP"
>"Boss, those tanks belonged to a rogue proxy group that Cipher is shadow managing. We're on step closer to Skullface!"

You don't interact with any characters on these missions, no development happens, nothing changes in the plot, it's literally just filler to lazily justify repetitive gameplay cycles. And that describes 75-80% of the Main Ops in the game. Meanwhile PW's Main Ops essintially follow a normal linear Metal Gear plot. The only difference is that you load in and out of a mission menu (which was likely a design choice because of the limitations of being a PSP game)

>Boss, apparently these rebels have walker gears, go get rid of them
>Boss, good job on destroying those walker gears, turns out the rebels are being funded by a shadow group that Cipher is shadow funding in the shadows!
Literally every mission.

Reminder that casuals will still say PW is a worse game even with MGSV being a complete fucking disaster in a multitude of different departments.

Source?

I both love and hate MGSV.

I love it because it's an amazing Sandbox to fuck around in with tons of fun systems.

I hate it because it was nothing like what I expected, I kind of feel betrayed by GZ and the opening of TPP, because it implies the game is something it isn't. The twist doesn't piss me off, neither does the "Revenge is bad mkay?" message or loose plot-treads. What pissed me off was the very structure of the game.

I was blown away by TPP at first, after the opening and first mission it felt like it was going to be a grand adventure. It was when I was playing the Honeybee mission that I realized "Wait, this is the game." It's not some kind of epic tightly-nit story like MGS3. It's a mission structured game where you take on random missions that loosely relates to the larger plot. The story in MGSV is extremely secondary, it's a Metal Gear PMC Simulator. It wasn't MGS5 but MGSV, and I both love and hate that.

only played MGS3 and The Twin Snakes but its been maybe over a decade since ive played them, Phantom Pain is easily my favorite

>MGSV
>Sandbox
You people have no idea what a sandbox is, do you?

A box filled with sand?

Well if we're going literal, that almost describes in game Afghanistan.

PW was even more repetitive, the only reason why you don't think so is because it had babby's first "How To Draw Manga" after a mission.

That's bullshit. PW has significantly more gameplay variety. It's not even a competition.

because critics rate every game as a single entity, and as a single entity MGS V had a lot going for it.
fans rate a game based on what they want out of the series, and on that score MGS V was a total failure.
that said, the critics were far too soft on the game's shitty story, woeful base building and crappy side missions

If it was like ground zeroes it would have been way better, instead we got empty maps with shitty repeating and repetitive missions and outposts connected by a terrible story.

>has never played tpp

>very bad game
Stopped reading there.

To think I used to like this guy.
Can't he go back to jerking off over Mario games?

Because critics had to rush the game, finished chapter 1, saw chapter 2 teaser and thought "it was only chapter 1? there's more? holy shit, must be goty"

>blows this thing up
>extract this dude
>make x go away
There, I summed up 99% of the Main Ops and Side Ops in MGSV.

Meanwhile PW constantly had shit like this youtube.com/watch?v=Vktt4g1jKqU in addtion to it's Main Ops playing like traditional Metal Gear game.

Then you're just a speculative moron with nothing meaningful to contribute to a conversation about MGS but some misplaced judgement relevant to shit you any nobody else for that matter literally know nothing about.

Fukushima fags need to fuck off and die because not a SINGLE one of them knows exactly what he contributed to the series and are all knee-jerking retards pissed with how Kojima handled 5.

Reactionary retardation. Please stop fucking posting.

the game is mechanically fantastic but the story was cut considerably because konami are dicks
if they copy pasted the fox engine into some other franchise (splinter cell anyone?) it would be pretty damn hot

as for newcomers to the series there are gaping holes in the story but theres enough to shrug it off as kojima being a screwjob and a nip

>Fukushima fags need to fuck off and die because not a SINGLE one of them knows exactly what he contributed to the series and are all knee-jerking retards pissed with how Kojima handled 5.
People were pointing this out before MGSV.

That's Metal Gear in a nutshell.
Go through 5 minutes of gameplay, then watch 20 minutes of a cutscene+codec combo, rinse and repeat.

I think the one thing I hate most about this game was the lack of David Hayter. He was literally Snake to me. Without his voice there, I felt alone. I felt like I wasn't even playing an official Metal Gear game.

The game itself had other flaws, but I could look past those because the game was fun. But the lack of Hayter really ruined this game.

To preface, I've played every Metal Gear (including the MSX ones) besides PW. 1 is my favorite.
The only truly bad parts of MGSV are Quiet and the side ops, which can both be completely ignored.
The story is the same level of campiness and cliches that the others have, it's just that the exposition is available to listen at your leisure and not put in hour long codec calls. The cutscenes are more spread out so people pretend there aren't any, which is probably some kind of ADD on their part.
People love to compare it to GZ, but PP had huge bases as well, they were just more spread out. And GZ didn't have indoor sneaking either, a fault of both games.

>find a thing and look at it with you binoculars
There's like at least half a dozen missions in TPP with that as a mission objective.

Also the control/movement differences between GZ and PP are like night and day.
The feedback of GZ did wonders to MGSV.

The one thing I liked about GZ more was that each difficulty level had different items to find, and you had the chance to acquire your equipment on site.

>the lack of Hayter really ruined this game

Well his presence didn't exactly improve the last few, so I guess it's par for the course.

Says you. Peach Walker was great.

The game was fun, but Snake's voice acting sounded like someone doing a bad parody of the character in MGS1.

The way reviewers review games is they play for barely the beginning of the game and maybe a quarter of the way through because they have to meet a deadline or get the review out when the game is still new. Gamers play all the way through and judge by the complete experience it offers, warts and all.

Poor voice direction perhaps? It's not like PW was a big budget game.

Every MGS had the same voice director.

Doesn’t matter what nintendo wankers say, I’ve been enjoying this game a lot. Koj8ma is a genius and I’ve clocked ober 400 hours so far. Don’t let neofag neckbeards decide what game is good or bad for you, play whatever you like.

It was Keither Sazerlend no less.

>Cult of kojima trying to deflect to Nintendo
That's a new low.

Is it just me, or did they take a step back when it came to picking people up? In GZ, Snake would immediately get moving after you pick an enemy up.

Because it's shitting on the fanbase but instead of doing it with proper set up like MGS2 it's all just superficial shit show in V. The only scene worthy of any subtlety is an easily missable one while rest of the game is anything but a proper MGS game in many points just like

no interiors, empty world with few small outposts
made by kojima roll credits every 10 minutes
repeat this 4 missions over and over in those small outposts while I blueball you with nothing in return
no bosses
everything is told instead of being shown