What are the most essential games for the DS and 3DS?

What are the most essential games for the DS and 3DS?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VVAXR_4Y8ic
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/DS
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/3DS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ghost trick

Pokémon Platinum

I'll second this. I prefer HGSS, though

Any castlevania title

The Devil Survivor games.

Love Plus and New Love Plus.

Professor Layton
Ace Attoney
Animal Crossing
Pokemon Platinum, HGSS, BWBW2
Megaten (Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers, Strange Journey, IV, IV Apocalypse, Persona Q)
Etrian Odyssey
Dragon Quest VIII
The World Ends With You
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
Hotel Dusk Room 215
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

>DS
Etrian Odyssey 1-3
Castlevania: DoS, PoR, OoE
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Wario: Master of Disguise
SMT: Strange Journey
Ace Attorney games
Professor Layton games
Kirby Superstar Ultra
Metroid Prime Hunters
The World Ends with You

Monster Hunter for 3DS
Who cares about DS, shovelware machine

Attorney, but play the originals on the ds, not the port/remakes on the 3DS.

Relevant to my interests
Know a lot but I just want to find out if there is some obscure but good suggestions

>shovelware machine
t. underage shitposter who's first handheld was the 3DS

Yeah.
And PS2 is just a shovelware machine.

What's wrong about the 3DS trilogy?

Aliens Infestation is a really good game and kinda obscure

Rocket Slime and Pokemon Conquest are good too

t. regrettablyage shitposter whose first handheld was the DS

>Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
Is it the best version of FF4?

>Megaten
I'm curious, which of these games would you say it's the most essential? I'd like to have at leas some SMT games on my collection

>Is it the best version of FF4?
Spinoff that was followed by Bravely Default.

4 Heroes of Light isn't Final Fantasy IV, it's an original title for the DS. There is a Final Fantasy IV remake on the DS that's definitely worth playing too, but it's debatable whether it's the best version or not.

I really wanted to like BD but that part when they keep entering the light and repeating the whole story turned me off so much

3DS games:
>Mario Kart 7
>EO 4 or 5
>MH4U and/or XX
>Kirby Triple Deluxe and/or Planet Robobot
>Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
>Professor Layton (3 for the DS. 4 for the 3DS)
>Ace Attorney (all 6 are available on 3DS iirc)
>999 Series
>One of the Dragon Quests I guess. I am partial to 9 but apparently it's the worst one so who cares what I think

I wouldn't know.
I have the game but I have not played it much through the beginning.

But I just found out that four heroes of light is spiritually before BD which makes sense, that BD started as a FF spinoff.

Which Kirby is better? I've heard that TD is a worse version of Adventure

Also, how about the EO Untold series?

Robobot is better but you can just get both on Freeshop. They're like 5-9 hour campaigns so you can just see what you like better

I haven't played either of the untold games; haven't gotten around to it yet

For the DS I would say:
Tetris DS
Meteos
Advance Wars
N++

There's a lot more great games, but those ones would keep most people busy for a long time. The DS has a surprisingly good library of games. I'm actually trying to find a DS Lite model because I prefer it over the 3DS for DS games. Waiting for somebody local to put one up for sale.

You have no idea what you're talking about

Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6, 9, Joker and Joker 2
Blue Dragon
Avalon Code
Fire Emblem New Mystery and Shadow Dragon
Radiant Historia
Pokemon HearGold, Platinum and White 2

user, i like that faceplate, whered you get it?

How are Blue Dragon and Avalon Code essential? I thought it were kind of average

Agreed on the rest, except from DQMJ2 since I haven't tried it

It is considered rare, especially now. Scalpers were trying to overask for them already when I got them year or two ago.

Being in "more rural" European country is nice, some stores still had normal stock for normal price so that is what I got. They go anywhere between 40 and 60usd now.

I mean, I would not have believed people saying how SNES classic is currently in scalping status when I saw numerous stores have tremendous stock locally myself.

Mario.

Strange Journey or IV I'd say.

anyone know how to restore contacts on a nds cart? my dslite is having trouble reading it

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL DS
>Pokémon Platinum
>Pokémon HGSS
>Pokémon B2W2
>Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
>The World Ends With You
>Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
>Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
>Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney trilogy
>Radiant Historia
>Advance Wars Dual Strike

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL 3DS
>Pokémon XY
>Super Mario 3D Land
>Animal Crossing: New Leaf
>Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
>Ocarina of Time 3D
>Fire Emblem: Awakening
>Bravely Default
>SMT IV

This is the complete list of essential Cred Forums core. Anything else is optional.

>bravely default
>pokemon xy
no

>SMT IV instead of IV:A
Why?

all the pokemon mystery dungeon game on the ds
youtube.com/watch?v=VVAXR_4Y8ic

Have you tried just cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol on the contacts? I have a game that only seems to work when I do that.

yes, i also tried some other methods i found online such as squeezing it(which actually seemed to work for a bit) and putting something in with it to force a better connection(which didnt work)

the contacts look like someone took a wire brush to them

Shiren the Wanderer
Izuna
Advance wars: dual strike
ACNL
Shin Megami Tensi IV/IV: Apocalype
HGSS
Th Dragon quests/dragon quests jokers
etrian odyssys
Monster Hunter
Mrio Kar

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D if you don't want to put up with the Wii versions waggle

>>izuna
can you even find a copy of this?

I found a copy in a local game store that ended up closing in 2017 so yes you can.

are the gen4+ games for the mystery dungeon series actually good? i don't see them praised nearly as often as the first games

never played the gba mystery dungeons but the DS pokemon mystery dungeon is good

remember that golden age of ds games right before the wii came out?

Which EO would you recommend the most?

>4 different pokemon games
as someone who doesn't play pokemon, aren't these essentially the same game

Which DQ should I start with? I have access to DS and 3DS.

A bit new to it myself but i guess Go for the later ones. EO4 or EO5, I guess.

Currently looking for a copy of EO3 myself, and may have to go the amazon route.

Etrian Odyssey mystery dungeon is comfy too, even if it's just a roguelike with the EO name attached to it.

not really, each game(obviously you pick one of hg/ss and b/w) is a whole new adventure and region

>as someone who doesn't play pokemon, aren't these essentially the same game
they share the same basic game mechanic of rock, paper, scissors, but people like the different varieties of pokemon from one game to the next. personally, i would recommend only HGSS because it's the most popular generation with the most amount of content. the pokemon games afterwards can rot in hell because they all downgraded from there in content

haha what? hg/ss doesnt have much more content than any other pokemon

kanto is a butchered shell and johto is the smallest region

>drop n3ds
>microsd won't read anymore for some reason
>new microsd reads fine
>lose all progress everywhere
>old backup is old and I don't have enough space
Suffering is life. Life is suffering. I was finally going to finish EO2U after putting it in my backlog and skipping it to finish EOV. I have no will to live. On a side note Radiant Historia remake is an alright jrpg.

>Spirit tracks but no phantom hourglass

Are you actually serious

can you protect your new 2/3DS xl with a passcode like you do with the vita?

Why is DS lite GOAT?

>small, sleek design. Smaller that modern smartphones.
>easy on the pockets
>optimum stylus placement on the bottom right
>amazing bright screen
>longest lasting battery: goes a day without charge.
>backwards compatible with GBA games, another god tier handheld.

Only downside is the shitty shoulder buttons that stop working, but the GBA was at fault for that as well. Dpad wasn't great either.

Rhythm Heaven and EBA are also good options that I haven't seen mentioned so far. Solatorobo if the aesthetic doesn't turn you off.

DS Ni no Kuni is also pretty great if you can get a translation patch, but my understanding is that the PS3 version expanded on the story. The battle system is supposed to be better and it's the version with the cutscenes done by Studio Ghibli.

If you're into Pokémon and can tolerate roguelike gameplay, PMD Explorers of Sky and PSMD are worth playing.

>Pokémon XY

Absolutely not. It's like recommending vanilla Diamond and Pearl over Black and White from the DS days. XY is valuable for what it added to the series, but in terms of actual playability, it's the worst released set on the console.

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is best experienced on the DS. I would say the same about the original AA Trilogy, too.

its incredible, i used to sometimes just look at it and admire how nice it was put together. one thing you forgot to mention was the springy start/select button and how nice it felt to push

the n2dsxl has come close but they fucked up the stylus pen and placement

If I'm not mistaken, bad spritework, laggy animations, ugly font and the interface changes like the opaque textbox that doesn't even touch the sides of the screen looks really disgusting. I really recommend playing the DS versions if you can.

Does the nds have any decent 2d platformers that aren't new super Mario bros or the castlevania games?

fpbp

Megaman ZX (and I guess the Zero collection too)

Anyone?

start with 4 then 5

Is it too late to get a 3ds? I own a switch so I’m assuming eventually they’ll stop making games for the 3ds

There are 4 decent Kirby games. Aliens Infestation is a metroidvania with platforming mechanics.

>Megaman ZX
How good is this game?

I've recently started the DQ series too. Fell in love with Rocket Slime and I had to test the others. I started with VIII, now I'm doing IV, then V, VI, III and VII

>DS
Good list, I've played them all.
>3DS
Are you fucking kidding me? Worse Pokemon, fucking mario, fucking animal crossing, zelda port? They're great but are by no means (((essential))). Remove those and replace with better alternatives, like Pokemon SuMo, Mario and Luigi RPG, Rune Factory 4. Fates and Echoes are also better games than Awakening. Devil Survivor and SMT Apocalypse is by far superior to SMT IV. Bravely Default is highly overrated, play Etrian Odyssey instead. Also, the 3ds has its own Ace Attorney games which is (((essential))) if you like Ace Attorney.

forgot about those, i already clocked them. Is there anything else out there?

Thanks.

starfy
monster tale

Either 4 or 9

i beat monster tale and starfy looks too easy

its never been a better time to get a 3ds
>systems are still easily found in store in all available colors
>games are easy to find, even nintendo produced games which tend to start disappearing near the end of a system lifespan before being heavily marked up online
>people are starting to sell off their 3ds collections and used games can be had for cheap

aliens infestation
maybe yoshi island ds

Hand of the Heavenly Bride. It's the only one that didn't bore me to death.

Yoshi's island it is then.

Not at all. A console's end of life is one of the better times to get in since the price of hardware and software is usually near its nadir before they start ticking up again thanks to collectors. On top of that, any homebrew/hacking scene is usually fully matured by console EOL since there's no longer any meaningful attempts to combat it from the manufacturer.

hey, bro, i'm curious but why did you feel the need to reference the jews with the parenthesis? i would understand if we were on Cred Forums talking about "essential" hollywood movies but these are largely japanese made video games. i'm scratching my head here for the connection you're making

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Rune Factory 4
Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask 3D
Dragon Quest VIII
Etrian Odyssey V
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Bravely Default
A Link Between Worlds

Those are the ones I enjoyed that come to mind, but there are lots more. 3DS has a great library.

I'm trying to recall the niche but good games.
>DS
Trauma Center
FFTA2
Infinite Space
Time Hollow
Luminous Arc
Megaman Starforce
Etrian Odyssey
Yugioh Championship
Rune Factory
Tingle's Rupeeland
Suikoden Tierkreis
Osu Tatakae Ouendan
Jump Ultimate Superstars
That one Chocobo game that was actually really good

>3ds
Gunvolt
Stella Glow
Blaster Master

My God, the 3ds is a disappointment.

What do you call air, food, shelter and water? Now, what do you all anime, video games, music and soy?

Hey guys. I wanna play advance wars on my New 3ds. I know some games like Mario64 dont work properly on the 3ds. Does anyone know if the DS Advance war games work on the Newer 3ds ?

>Does anyone know if the DS Advance war games work on the Newer 3ds ?

Just use a flashcart. TWLoader is not anywhere close to actual hardware interfacing just yet.

If you understand Moon, Days of Ruin had Japanese version released as DSiWare.

Super Mario 64 DS is actually flawless on the 3ds, way better if you played it on the DS since the 3ds has better controls
t. has the new 3ds

‘s point here holds true for DS games with 3D movement in general. Can confirm circle pad also made Solatorobo and Okamiden massively more enjoyable.

>What do you call air, food, shelter and water? Now, what do you all anime, video games, music and soy?

interesting, so everything that's not categorized as a physiological need for human survival is a jewish conspiracy... dude, i think you need help.

I almost never see any discussion about it, but it was definitely one of my favorites.

is this good?

if we're talking dragon quest, check out 5.

vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/DS
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/3DS

Any recommendations on which Etrian Odyssey and SMT games should I pick? Some of them are discounted on the eShop

What games are on sale?

In EU, Etrian Odyssey V and SMT:A

EO4 and SMT4. Then continue to EO5 and SMT4A. Alternatively you can play Devil Survivor, an SMT spin off.

Since those are discounted, play those. They're fine to start with as standalones.

What's the price for digital and physical?

If the price difference isn't much, I would just get it physically.

20 each for digital. SMT games are quite difficult to get in EU, I think the cheapest copy I've seen is around 60€. The EO games are somehow easier to get, though

Get them, I guess. SMTIV:A is best played after SMTIV.

I have some more obscure recommendations:
MOON is a solid FPS on both 3DS and DS
Dementium and Dementium 2 are good horror FPS games
If you're looking for solid console-like experiences, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing and MKDS are solid racing titles (SASASR has a lot of content and very good music)
Monkey Ball Touch and Roll
Sonic Rush trilogy is good if you like learning and replaying games
MegaMan Zero and ZX are great, not sure about Star Force
Rayman 2 is on both

For 3DS:
Shinobi is awesome. Really good and less than 10 bucks at GS.
MGS3D

Got Megaman Zero Collection and loved it, does ZX holds up?

For the DS probably the R4.

I bought a fuckton of games, even imports, but it made things so much easier and smoother.
The DS era was a great time.