Which series do you honestly prefer between Megaman Classic and Megaman X?

Which series do you honestly prefer between Megaman Classic and Megaman X?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XqS72t4zrSg
youtube.com/watch?v=c6FErnXILP4
youtube.com/watch?v=70pQuYMgEFI
youtube.com/watch?v=OArmiAMkkNk&t=340s
romhacking.net/hacks/3711/
youtube.com/watch?v=V8f9_WDEam8
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Classic has more good compared to X so classic

Classic is much better

Classic had more good ones tha X's, but I prefer X's

Megaman x spawned the best remix and had wall jumping

Find me a better remix of the orginal than these 2

youtube.com/watch?v=XqS72t4zrSg

youtube.com/watch?v=c6FErnXILP4

And yes I know about wily stage 2 and air man

The best X games are better than the best classic ones. But when classic went downhill it just got mediocre. When X went downhill it turned into complete trash.

I used to like classic and not be interested in x, but x fanboys during mvc3 really made me hate the fucking series

X but I acknowledge that Classic is a more consistent series overall. My overall favorites from X, would be above my favorites from Classic overall, but the Classic series as a whole would be above my least favorite X games.

X for the walljumps, walldash and wall sliding. Really the dash helped too but slide is sort of similar I suppose. Though not really since you have more control over dashing like a maniac in all directions and dash cancel/ dash jumps. I just greatly enjoyed how much fast paced x was.

ZX

I liked X games more but as character I fucking love the naive design of Megaman.
So bad that for the new game they didn't just rip his fucking smash design. He looks dope as hell in this game.

X

Classic. I like the music and designs more.

Classic. I love a lot of the X games for their gameplay alone but Classic gives me good vibes all around and isn't as serious.

I honestly don't know how someone can prefer classic. X is basically better in every single way, and I've thought that way my entire life.

better level design that's more focused on platforming

This. I've played classic too but x1-x3 literally transported me to a new world. Maybe it was just the graphics/music. Or zero. Xtreme and xtreme 2 just cemented it. Classic was limited by the NES

X had better installments, but varied from great to utter shit that you avoid like the plague
Classic was much more consistent in its quality, but doesn't really change a whole lot between games
Personally, I liked X1-4 more than any of the Classic Megamans, but X5-7 were just pure garbage. X8 is OK, but there's a lot of design choices that really drag down the whole experience, so it sits at close to the same level of the classics.

Maybe because Classic is very hard to screw up gameplay-wise while the quality of the X series is all over the place.

>X8 is OK, but there's a lot of design choices that really drag down the whole experience, so it sits at close to the same level of the classics.
You mean like 4 of 8 boss stages being cop out on rails shit?

X1 and X4 are better than 9 and 4

While X6 and X7 are easily worse than 8 and 7

Fact: if Cred Forums existed 20 year agos, the X series would be referred to as nu-MegaMan(which is pretty much what it is desu)

X has higher highs but Classic is consistently good. I'm a Zero man at heart anyhow though.

Classic has more consistent quality and better platforming. People who say the X games are a straight up improvement are brainlets who watched egoraptor's shit video and don't actually bother to analyze the differences in level design with the two.

I like classic but mainly because it's not half shitshow like X

Classic is much more consistant and has more good games. X has much more potential but outside of like 3 games never capitalizes on it.
I like Classic more since I can go back and play any of those games and have a good time, but my dream megaman game would be in the X series.

I prefer the x games because of the edge.

This

X had a better peek, but a much worse low than classic.

SNES X
NES Classic
PS1 X
PS1 Classic
Other

Classic is more consistent as all the games are pretty good.

The x series only half the games are good. But I’d say the good x games are better than the classic games.

Mostly because infinite wall jumping makes it harder to die in pits

X has better highs but it's lows are horrific

1 good X game is worth 2 and a half good classic games

Classic, though X1 is up there with the best of the classic games.

I prefer X because I got addicted to dashing and walljumps.
Makes me kind of sad there's never an X revival where we go back to good old 16 bit basics, only classic revivals. I have fun with the classics don't get me wrong, but X feels way more fluid to me and I always crave more.
Also in some X games I can play as Zero and I love that shit

X. I have more fun with X having more 'toys' for lack of a better word.

8 weapons? No they're 16 weapons, counting the super powered variant.

Bonus items? Even though the spread is bad sometimes the upgrades in X at least give the game a flavor than the classic series got with 11 Rush Jets, 1 Rush Jet Pack, 10 Rush Coils and 1 Different Rush Coil did.

Where people give X3 shit for being uncreative; I'm losing my mind stomping around in ride armors blowing shit up for giggles.

Quality > Quantity m8

The Megaman Zero series.

Then do tell me of the quality toys that exist in the Classic games.

I have a weird feeling that the opinion is that the X series became the default Mega Man series, and judge it by that mile marker instead of the Classic games.

Classic as a while is a better series but X series has no competition in the soundtrack department, even in their worst game
youtube.com/watch?v=70pQuYMgEFI

Classic

>Games are all pretty good unlike X's lows
>On top of that there's more game
>Robot Master designs only dip in 7 (Burst Man is the Worst Man), Maverick Designs are all over the fucking place and most of them are ugly fucks who don't know what a color scheme or the word "simplicity" is
>Has a dog
>And a cat
>And a bird
The obvious choice, really

classic

>Robot Master designs only dip in 7 (Burst Man is the Worst Man)
I swear it's always Spring Man considered one of the worst designs.

I grew up on X so I'm more attached to it, though I found 8 pretty charming when I recently replayed it, and liked how useful all of the special abilities were, even if JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE at Wily's was pretty traumatizing

X has better highs, or perhaps "a better high" would be more appropriate, but Classic is more consistent.

I like the cartoonish tone of Classic more than X's story, but I think the X story has (or had) a lot more potential to appeal to my love of science fiction about AIs.

What is this image from

I prefer the gameplay of the X series and beyond. And this is fully acknowledging that half the X series is forgettable at best.

Classic, but X1 is the single best game in the entire franchise.

Classic easily. I dont think there are many 2D platformers better than 2,3 and 9

>X2
Fixed that for you.

X2 would be better than X1 if the virus head actually put up a fight

X2-X4 are great games, but X1 just did everything nearly perfectly. Doesn't feel to me like they ever truly topped it.

This. Both are great, though

X. I know I shouldn't give Capcpom money but I'm definitely buying the MegaMan X collection this summer when it comes out

X2 has better level design with more platforming.

X1 has shitty levels like Sting Chameleon's that is literally a straight hallway.

But Sting Cameleon's level is neat, and floods after Launch Octopus. Did X2 use the same "completed levels affect other levels" gimmick? I don't recall.

New 2D series when?

Did Inticreates kill their relationship with Capcom?

It floods one tiny section with a heart tank, that's not really much of a change.

Reminder that Megaman & Bass is a GREAT Classic Game, probably top 3

Meh, MHW was fucking great, and I want to see the Megaman franchise be a thing again, so I'll be doing my part and getting the collection, along with 11. And if the rumors of DMC5 are true, we may be looking at a long overdue Capcom renaissance.

Classic as a whole is a stronger collection, but X1-X3 are the best mega man platformers of all time

I still like it, and I like the mini-boss in his level too.

Also, did X2 do that? That wasn't rhetorical.

Best Megaman ost cummin through
youtube.com/watch?v=OArmiAMkkNk&t=340s

Megaman & Bass is my favorite of the classics, such a good fucking game

I still haven't played MHW, but it looks good. I'm still mostly mixed on capcom even with that, because while I really liked RE7, MvCI was trash. I'll probably also get the Street Fighter collection. But yeah, Megaman X is my childhood, I have to show I want more.

X has really good lore

Megaman was just kinda megaman. You were a robot dude shooting pellets at other robot dudes

Thats hard to say, sometimes you are in the mood for one or the other.

No it didn't. X3 is the one that brought it back, though not as well thought out.

I’ve played almost every classic game whereas I’ve only played xtreme 2 and command mission for X. So classic I guess.

neither i prefer Zero / ZX

>Zero / ZX
puke

Nah, last I remember doing that kind of thing again was X6

>Zero above anything

whats wrong with the zero series??

X is way better than the classic series.

Nothing, it's just the anti inticreatesfag

Zero

X

X3 does but 3's stages are so shit and empty you'd hardly notice

>Lights turn on in Blizzard Buffalo's stage if you beat Volt Catfish
>Enemies get downgraded in Gravity Beetles stage if you beat Blast Hornet first

There was probably another one but I forget

The non 8-bit games had such underrated ost

If only we could have X mechanics but the light-hearted tone of Classic Megaman.

>light-hearted tone
fuck that

The artstyle

Classic as a series are just games that I feel I can always come back to due to childhood nostalgia and how much they grew on me. I don't hold the same feelings for X and the series really drops off hard in quality after X2, though I will admit that X1 and 2 are superb platformers.

>the arstyle
>the music
>the "we are trying to be X but shittier" gameplay
>the mechanics of almost all the games
>rankings
>cyber elfs

Theres so much wrong with the Zero series, that it single handedly ruined Zero as a character for years to come.

Holy shit taste user

Classic = X > Legends >> ZX >>>> pile of Dogshit >>>>> Zero

This, on the same level of 9 or a bit better.

it turned zero into some faggy twink

ZX aint half bad, since it tries to be its own thing and its what Zero should've been
but fuck out of here if you think that shit looks better than this my nigga.

I want more of the top than the same shit from the bottom EVERY SINGLE GAME

I want a proper Megaman fighter.

HIS NAME IS DUFF MCWHALEN
DUFF
MCWHALEN

>Reminder that in MM7 Megaman was so tired of Wily's shit he straight up broke the 3 robot rules and almost capped a pop in his ass.

If only he wasn't in X5, then again his stage defines X5

that looks disgusting

wasnt zero always a faggy twink

he had big green crystal man-tits and wasnt afraid of anything.
WHAT WAS HE FIGHTING FOR?!

I think that works against the series. If Mavericks are actually threatening the world there should be more than 8 of them at one time. But there's endless waves of these things and nothing seems to credibly be done about them.

no, he was built like a motherfucker and cucked X out of his own series

Its a slow burn. 1-3 has the Mavericks much more local in conflicts, with a slow growth of capabilities. In 4, the Repliforce spreads the conflict much farther apart. In 5, Sigma's rape virus blast covers the planet in the conflict.
6 is just fallout after 5.
7 doesn't exist.
8 is a return to pre 4 in the lower capabilities of the mavericks and hunters.
Then Weil happens.

Funniest part was that he actually did break the 3 laws. It was just by way of the 'or by inaction' part.

thats kind of cheating, classic has more games period

At its best, X was fucking awesome and at its worst, it was fucking terrible. Classic series is consistently pretty decent, with some highs and lows.
So while you'd probably have better time playing through all of Classic series than X, I still prefer X.

i only like megaman games with sliding, and quick weapon switching , so probably X but normal megaman also has some games featuring both those features.

reminder that this exists
romhacking.net/hacks/3711/

>Hey what if we put all these upgrades and stuff in the game
>but punish you for actually using them lol

Throwaway dialogue =/= overall tone

>Burst Man is the Worst Man

Slow burn? In X1 the Maverick Hunters, sans Zero and X, revolted leading to a six month series of campaigns that spanned the world and Sigma was operating out of a flying island fortress that was in the middle of decimating a city when you attack it.

People should sit up and take notice. But instead we only hear of 4 efforts to destroy the viruses. One was actually infecting people, one was an honest attempt to kill Sigma that failed. One was another trick to infect people. Then one just was kind of a byproduct of a completely different thing.

I'MGRENADEMAN

>leading to a six month series of campaigns that spanned the world
Is that manga lore or game manual lore, because the mavericks are on a small map in game.

that was added by the us localizers. in japan he still points at wily, but it's played down significantly, because he disarms when wily reminds him of the 3 rules

It's from the intro to MMX2.

youtube.com/watch?v=V8f9_WDEam8

I spent a minute thinking about it and hilariously enough X6 is actually as close as it gets.

>no good guys die
>Gate and his mavericks were originally good guys (like Light's robots) but were framed
>Isoc, High Max, and Zombie Sigma are the only outright evil characters and they die
>Gate doesn't die
>Dynamo is just dicking around and doesn't die
>No evil plan by Sigma, Sigma being a corpse means no sophistry from him
>Happy endings for both characters. X feels good about rebuilding the world and Zero finally conquers the Zero / Sigma virus
>No mention of Wily at all

Despite the dreary setting the game's music (especially intro and ending) are very hopeful and the game has a positive outlook overall.

I haven't played the X series, only the classic, Battle Network and Starforce.

He still says "I should kill you" and points his gun at him. No robot that's actually three laws compliant would do that. This is important take away from the exchange is that he DECIDES not to kill Wily. Rather than being instructed he can't.

If megaman didn't have to comply to the laws of robotics, then Light would have no reason to make X.

Robots all have personalities and some kind of will of their own but there's something that makes it inferior to a reploid.

I dunno, they do weird shit about it. Like in X8 with the next gen reploids who can "go maverick at will" even though any reploid can do that, by deciding to be evil.

Battle Network

Wall jumping is retarded and the sprites are too big in X so classic

Classic is one of my favorite game series of all time, and even the weakest entries in the series are still at least worth playing every once in a while. There's no game in the classic series that makes me think "Ew, I never want to play that again".

Meanwhile, X just never clicked with me. I'm not even sure what it is, but there is just something about it that always turned me off. MM just doesn't work for me with a grimdark tone, for one.

PLENTY of robots in Mega Man break the laws so that's really not special. But anyway being able to act in a way that doesn't follow the three laws, or perceiving a matter of degrees doesn't necessitate 'free will'. Mega Man has a learning AI, and he learned prison doesn't stop Wily.

i havent played zero since i was like a kid, how did it punish you for using upgrades?

My guess is that Light made X to finally kill Wily, probably after he causes some great catastrophe.

Knowing that Megaman can't break the laws of robotics, Light would be forced to create a robot with free will or some shit like that.

>I have to make a robot with true free will
>Buuuut to make sure he does what I want him to I'm going to brainwash him for 30 years so he's a big pussy

X will always be better because it's an evolution of the series. 8 tried to do some new things but people didn't like that because it was different. 9 and 10 were just a dead end and a death sentence to the series.

>Locking upgrades behind ranking when the ranking system is already punishing is really fucking dumb, specially in two
>And even if you got them they actually do jack shit
>Grinding in Z1

>8 tried to do some new things
I'm almost convinced MM8 was a minigame collection they gave up on halfway through and cannibalized.

Classic. Not really a fan of the semi-post apocalyptic world X and every MM series after tried to build upon.

Why is OG Megs angry and X all chill?

Played X5 using this the other day, what a fucking improvement I like the game so much more now.

I also recommend getting the Mavericks to Level 8 or whatever so that you can actually get to use the parts system instead of it being basically non-existent for normal players.

It's so sad Cinnamon won't get to get a leg up over Lifesaver.

>Put X into an SAT prep booth
>Eventually becomes undisputed leader of the world
I mean does no one see the irony that X, even goody goody 'real' X takes over the world?

>reading Archie comics
>Robot Masters can basically comit suicide if they don’t feel they can serve a worthy purpose

I didn’t ask for these feels.

Wasn't that a plot point in 9?

The plot of 9 is that Robot Masters have an expiration date and they have no choice but to accept it.

Here, Quick Man feels if he can’t fight Mega Man, then there’s no point in being used for anything.

9 had expiration dates where Robot Masters would be retired/shut down and scrapped.

Nevermind the fact that an expiration date for a machine that can be upgraded and technically has enough sentience to know right from wrong is really fucked up and dumb, but hey, it's not Roboenza at least.

I thought the expiration date was specifically to prevent a surplus that might fall into the hands of guys like Wily.

I don't think the game even remotely attempted to explain or justify it, it just "was", which encouraged the robots to go to Wily's side and unwittingly get reprogrammed anyway.

I didn't get into the Archie comics so I have no idea if they covered 9's plotline loosely before death/infinite hiatus.

>I didn't get into the Archie comics so I have no idea if they covered 9's plotline loosely before death/infinite hiatus.

They kind of did towards the end.

"Megamix 9" was packed in with the OST in the physical release. But I forget if it made that point.

>>No mention of Wily at all
Isoc was Super Wily 2 Turbo though.

I like X more because I actually don't enjoy Megaman or X, only Zero's gameplay.

>Lpipe
I'm really sad Zero and Haggar didn't bond over this in MvC3

Wasn’t it confirmed that Zero never killed any of the Classic characters?

Yes, but it was a long time before it was confirmed. Everyone just assumed until then.

I like the gameplay of X more but the classic series has more good games.

X

Still sorry to say it's the only presented option as an event. Despite being said "nah".

If X had more good games, especially ones which also have Zero as a playable character, I'd probably go with that, but Classic has more good games like others said.
So Ideally I prefer X, but I pretty much prefer Classic.

Name a good game from the classic series except for Mega Man 2.

4(GB), 5(GB) and 9

9 and 6 are my favorites. 9 has the best design, while 6 has nearly all the features I'd want in a Mega Man game, even if the design isn't as good.

6, Rush adapters are amazing.

>6
>good
>can't slide-cancel

WHERE MY ZERO FANS AT?

Zero was the only Mega Man series that got the dark tone right. X and his little "What am I fighting for?" soliloquies became comical very quickly.

>What am I fighting for?

Uh user that was Zero

X Zero, GBA-ZX Zero was better.

Mega Man X highs > Mega Man highs
Mega Man lows > Mega Man X lows

Mega Man X6 and X7 are pretty bad.

You know what I'm talking about, you goddamn double maverick.