You will never again experience playing silent hill on a cold rainy night with your best friends as you try to together...

>you will never again experience playing silent hill on a cold rainy night with your best friends as you try to together figure out how to progress forward, in the era before you could instantly google everything

Perfect games /general/?I

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
youtube.com/watch?v=OwFqShcxaQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=nna2yt1c9gI
youtube.com/watch?v=Rv3e8jMZds0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I could never do the piano thing.
8 year old me was too brainless

>You'll never save her
The worst thing about Origins is how they made a 40 years old tramp slut crack whore

>played it for the first time with somebody else
fucking ruined

Google existed in 1999

the 11yo non-English speaker me could do it just fine after a while.

internet was not an option for majority of the people in 1999, and Google wasn't even a known entity back then. If anything, you could only get spoiled / find cheats for games from good ol' gaming magazines.

>google era

Have some restraint and don't look up guides. Datamining doesn't affect games for me because I don't care to read up on it.

sure you don't have sleepovers with your friends anymore but that doesn't stop y'all from having a few beers and some pizza while you play it or another game.

Nothing will ever come close. The puzzles from the era were really great, these days games feel so formulaic.

>Implying that ever happened
I still have to finish sh1
and 4...
and all those that I don't have the consul for *cough cough* downpour

the fuck are you on about? 1999 was already post-AOL boom. almost everyone had an option to get internet by then, just a question of whether your family was tech-aware or you were a left behindy
gamespot was already in the process of replacing print magazines

>1999 was already post-AOL boom.
Not everyone's a bloody yank. And since internet choices pretty much were limited to 28-56k modems with per-minute costs, being online for just a few moments did cost a fortune.

>playing Silent Hill with friends

I’m playing through for the first time now. Pretty great, really atmospheric for a psx game but the controls make resident evil seem fluid

>tfw two HS girl friends, not GFs, asked me to play SH2 for 'em, so they could see the other ending's they'd missed, back in mid 00s

SH1 is easily the pinnacle of survival-horror genre, right alongside the REmake. Dunno what you're talking about with the controls; SH series perfected tank controls, and being able to move and aim makes a big difference.

Why no one makes a silent hill game with tank controls and fixed camera like the old ones? Is it so fucking difficult? Team silent was small team when they did this. Just use an open source engine like unreal 4 and make it

>Sneaky Silent Hill thread
OK, let's re-post them SH PC Guides + DL links :

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH2 PC fixes site:
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.

Follow the SH2 widescreen fix site's instructions to the teeth, and you should be fine.
For 3 & 4, check the Guide.

If you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
If SH3 runs like shit even on a strong PC, check and lower the Rendering Resolution setting.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput & PS4 gamepads natively. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
There's OK emu-settings for SH1 in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Try the PGXP emulator for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>Protips
-Play in the release order.
-Never play below Normal difficulty.
-Replaying them all is recommended.
-Turn down the ingame Brightness setting,
-Don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors.
-Turning OFF the flashlight can really help.

I dunno man. Recently played through re2 for the first time too and had a way easier time controlling Leon

>i will never again experience one of the original crappy gameplay moviegame shit in the very era of "gaming" that was the beginning of the end when the game industry turned to style-over-substance garbage to placate a dumb new generation of gamers
Thank fuck.

You need to try harder

Beat this for the first time a couple of years ago and by far it's my favorite of all the SH games. I guess it being old just makes the game feel so much more empty and creepy

>Dunno what you're talking about with the controls

I think it's because in Sh1 the controls feel like there is a slight delay in response time due to the PSX hardware struggling to handle it. RE on the other hand feels instantaneously responsive since it's just pictures with loading screens and some character 3D models floating.

>SH2-4 do not support Xinput & PS4 gamepads natively. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.

change that to DS4windows since for the very least I confirmed that it works on SH2

>I think it's because in Sh1 the controls feel like there is a slight delay in response time due to the PSX hardware struggling to handle it.
Nah, the game just replicates inertia and other minor realism things. Sure, the tad slower framerate can tick some people off.

>change that to DS4windows since for the very least I confirmed that it works on SH2
Alright, noted!

>one of the worst things
ftfy

>An entire franchise got outsourced and ruined
>SH2 movie happened

The game was shit in every aspect, but desecrating her was the worst thing. She was such a pure and innocent character in the first game. Thank god nothing after 4 is canon

>SH2 movie happened
God fuck, you didn't have to remind me.

>there are also people who call themselves SH fans and defend the second movie unironically

>dumbass brit talks about the majority of people when he's referring to his tiny island nation
kys retard

You don't even need outdated shit like Xpadder to play with a gamepad
Just use Steam and launch the game in big picture mode and configure the input from there. Steam gives you a bunch of presets so you don't start in a blank slate like Xpadder

Not even him, but he's totally fucking right. Italy didn't have that shit at the time

How nice of you to assume my nationality, burgerass. I'm not even a native English speaker.

I never even really played single-player games as a kid. My entire childhood/early teens were spent playing shooters/RTS with friends on LAN. GTA Vice City and San Andreas was the only exception.

It wasn't until high school that I was able to wrap my head around games that were story driven or required me to navigate in an environment. Especially Japanese console games, that design language was completely foreign to me.

But it felt good to discover games like Silent Hill and MGS in my 20's.

I'm a third worlder and didn't have internet till 2005, was nice finishing SH1-3 without internet, as a matter of fact, my entire life was better before the internet came to my country.

Yeah I think that’s what it is. Also the fact I’m playing the pal version on a hdtv doesn’t help

>nothing after 4 is canon
you wish, dumb cultfag!!

>Nah, the game just replicates inertia and other minor realism things. Sure, the tad slower framerate can tick some people off.

The thing is that SH2 and SH3 feel pretty responsive pretty much on par with the RE games, in fact James is a really good shooter, specially for someone who is experiencing a psychotic break.

>i killed silent hill as a franchise and I enjoyed every minute of it

they greatly toned down all of the SH1's stuff in the sequels, ultimately leading to even easier games. In SH1, if you want to try and snipe enemies at the edge of your vied distance, you literally gotta let your aim "even out" for a second or two between shots.

That being said, engaging enemies in SH games is easily avoidable, and should be avoided as much as possible.

The things he says about the games makes me think that he isnt all that clueless about the franchise but he simply doesnt have the talent/ let alone the talented team around him that sato and team silent did to produce anything similar

Im currently playing through SH2 on hard/hard, are there any huge ammo sinks coming up in the game (for example the double pyramid heads)?

Im not exactly low on bullets and I managed to complete the whole apartment building sequence without firing once/ just entered the historical society with 200+ handgun bullets, around 70 shotgun shells and maybe 20 rifle shells

One of the most punchable faces of vidya
The whole hd collection thing also almost ruined the songs with vocals in them for me
My first dissapointment was seeing mary elizabeth and realising shes not as pretty as I imagined, then her shitting on the original voice actors made me hate that cunt
But Akira is just too good of a composer to not like his stuff despite the bitch singing in them

Silent hill 3 was the best.
The game that was able to mix the best stuff of 2 and 1 and ramp up the disturbing to 1000

Holy shit. You don't need that many bullets in the first place. Try to forget what you know about the game

you can literally play the entire game without firing a single shot, and SH2 is all around the easiest game of them all.

That being said, using guns becomes a valuable way of making your life easier towards the end, on Hard mode.

how do you beat the pyramid head chase without guns/ bosses like mary and the double pyramid heads

>pyramid head chase
well timed melee attack. hard mode is the only difficulty that practically REQUIRES any interaction with PH in order to survive it.

>bosses like mary
Melee weapons.

>the double pyramid heads
same way as all PH encounters: Just wait for the invisible timer to run out.

I always thought that only the first encounter with him has a timer on it. Does it actually speed up the timer to shoot them though?

Why are you already thinking about this if you are not even there? What kind of stupid fucking degenerate plays a game like this? Jesus

ive beaten the game twice before

My bad man. My bad

im spooked now.

>Does it actually speed up the timer to shoot them though?
yes a lot.

I played it for the first time with my little brother by my side and it was perfect, he was more scared than me and we talked about the experience for years.

>This game was and still is my favorite game of all time.

RE3 is vastly superior though

go kill yourself retard

Gr8 arguments m8, I r8 8/8

they both are bad after re1, though.

thanks for this shit dude sh2 pc is hard to find

np mate!
And yeah, they are. Plus tend to cost an arm and a leg nowadays.

And as we all know nowadays, Jewnami does not care about the series one bit, so these classics have practically become abandonware.

you had no "argument" in the first place fucking retard

>Played SH2 while cousin watched for first time last year
had a great time desu, why are silent hill games so fun to play with other people and what other games can provide this experience?

Did he give you a blowjob?

You are not a very bright person, aren't you?

I still replay it every so often and every time I find something new that I didn't know of before.

autistic screeching definitely ain't argument, sonny jim.

most 1990s classics and their early-00s sequels. Just started playing RE3 and Fatal Frame with my wife

>Alone in the Dark clones
>Perfect
The only great thing in SH 1 is the audiovisual part, pure style over substance. Both gameplay and story are beyond garbage, like in all AitD descendants.
Go play Alien Resurrection and get some standards.

SH's story is better just cause of Alessa and idea of her creating those nightmarish worlds.

Kyle

nice b8

You posted the same thing when I made a SH thread. You ok man? Why do you dislike them so much? It's okay to have a differing opinion but when you cross into "stop liking what I don't like" territory it's unhealthy.

>playing Silent Hill on the first wednesday of the month close to noon
>the siren noise is playing in-game
>suddenly sirens start going off IRL
>freak the FUCK out for a moment

youtube.com/watch?v=OwFqShcxaQ0

Never play Silent Hill when they're about to do the monthly alarm test

She was always a tramp slut crack whore though. She wouldn't be in that mess if she wasn't.

Heather is cuuuute!!!!

But she's dumb!

She was dead before the start. Only Alessa's magic put her back to life.

>back to life
It's more likely that she's a Maria-like creation rather than Lisa resurrected.

I was in paris last january and that shit happened to me too. I thought I was the only one hearing it

I didn't mean what Alessa pull out Lisa's dead body and made it alive again, like necromancer or something, you know.

>Alone in the Dark
I remember trying to get into the first one, but it was so fucking bad.

Then I tried playing 5? And it had a dumb car chase sequence, shit was so over the top it reminded me of indigo prophecy.

Does Tyrone join in as well?

anyone who has taste prefers SH1, SH3, RE1 and RE3 over this garbage, it can barely even called 'survival horror' considering how much ammo the game throws at you

>You'll never buy Silent Hill 2 again, play it for a few hours and and then stop and realise that you just wasted your money in a really boring slog instead of Ace Combat 4, Tekken Tag Tournament or Metal Gear Solid 2 instead.

>buying games from Konami

>want to talk about SH
>can't think of anything to say

>Underage faggot doesn't know that in the nineties and oughties Konami games were god tier.

He acts like he watched a single youtube video on the plot of SH2 and nothing else.
I hope he gets hit by a bus

Exact opposite really since it seems like he was one of the people at konami post team silent that understood pyramid head not belonging into the other games

The PAL cover is better.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
RE 2 is at least in the top 5 of the PS1 library, the others don't even come close.

>konami was good and respecting to their own IPs

So since Cred Forums is an echo chamber of underage edgy contrarianism now you are gonna pretend that Metal Geal Solid, Symphony of the Night and Zone of the Enders are bad?

lol

>the game with the most marketing sells the most
who could have seen that coming. it's not the quality of the game that makes the sales, it's the marketing. RE2 was shit, through and through, only babies who started with it like it

>last night
>friend unfortunately got divorced
>another friend just ended a long-term relationship
>both come visit the hometown
>hang out on the couch all night smoking weed and playing CoD multiplayer

It felt like a decade ago. It felt like being a teenager again. I wish there was a way to recapture that feeling without so much sadness beforehand.

I didn't said anything about sales, user. You are projecting your own insecurities too hard.

>Konami published those good games made by different talented people and then killed them off after those talented devs left
>Konami is good

so you were talking about your own subjective top 5? why would anyone care about it if you have such shit taste in vidya?

>japanese only visual novel for the gba that just acts as a novelization
>bad

are you retarded? is that literally pyramid head?

>be little user
>get PS1, Rayman and Silent Hill 1 as a birthday present
>let a friend who boasts to be good at video games try SH1 first
>get really mad when said friend gets Henry killed at the end of the first alley
>Henry then wakes up at the diner

Minds. Fucking. Blown.

Konami is bad, but was good. Learn to read faggot.
If you really belive that RE 1 is better than RE 2, I might have shit taste at least lack your brain damage.

RE1 is mechanically superior to RE2. RE1 is a proper survival horror game with actual choices for routes, RE2 is just a fixed camera shitty action shooter that is linear from start to finish. seems like the brain damage you received from RE2 was so huge that you can't even write sentences properly. how comical!

Samael isn't real. He was made up by Dahlia to get him to obtain Flauros and use it against Alessa.

>Konami was good

Are we stuck in the loop?

>Jerry Heller was good, cause he helped N.W.A., but then he turned bad, cause he stole money from them.
>DON'T SHIT ON JERRY, RETARD!

Harry
-him

I hope Heather gets a figma someday, just like the Nurse and PH.

>cryptic shakespeare references
I'M STILL MAD

>RE1 is mechanically superior to RE2.
It doesn't even have a proper map, user.

Resident Evil DS*
Corrected that for you.

Legit. Am i the only person who doesn't like SH2? Because of the ending stuff they made the game too easy. Just so you can heal yourself always to get the ending you want. On the other hand if you don't want that ending you end up with like 20-30+ healing items.

That figurine is so fucking good. I'd buy it if it wasn't 150 fucking dollars.

t. never played RE1
RE:DS is babymode tho, zombies die way faster, knifing is easier, you start with shitton of supplies on Rebirth and so on. RE:DC's Arrange is where it's at

>he didn't make trips to the library after school to print out cheats and puzzle solutions

Silent Hill 4 would be perfect if it had better pacing. Just make the apartment hub world into something like Demon's Souls. You could choose which locations you want in any order instead of repeating the level order again. Could expand the area more when you complete certain shit, or meet a certain criteria. Maybe you could change how the hole works based on the radio frequency you change the radio to.

4 needs much more than "better pacing" to be perfect.

is there any benefit to playing SH2 on pc instead of emulating it on pcsx2?

i don't think anybody likes sh2 for gameplay reasons.

No way man, it's something toally different

Playing SH3 on my GPD Win right now. It runs pretty well.

What are the development team for Siren doing these days? Could kill for a remake, or if FS2 got the Blood Curse treatment.

>Butcher made by one western devs is PH's rip-off
>So, Bogeyman made by different devs must be PH's rip-off as well.

>t. never played RE1
Try again

Worth sitting and watching, explains all the ports well.
youtube.com/watch?v=nna2yt1c9gI

the closest library that had a PC with internet was 12 kilometers away from my house at the time. And a 10yo non-English speaker would have had hard time navigating the early wild-WWW of late 90s.

>is there any benefit to playing SH2 on pc instead of emulating it on pcsx2?
Numerous, such as the system requirements being absurdly low, even at 4K / 60fps (yes, 60fps is doable too), thanks to the PC ports being literally 15+ yo PC games.
You can also mod the games to some degree, up the shadow and DOF quality, and who knows what else.

I beat 1 and 2 amazing games.

pic related

Is Code Veronica X worth a playthrough? Was always hearing bad shit about the game.

it's only worth a playthrough if you want to see how bad it is

Bogeyman is a ripoff of the Pyramid Head concept

>Blood Curse treatment.
you mean ruin the very little good the games ever had going on at all? Yeah, no thanks.

Absolutely. It's also a necessary bridge between the OG trilogy and RE4-5.

No, only people who are shit at games say that. Only bad part is the second area as Claire with a shitty moth hallway.

no, he isn't.

There are two bogeymen. The movie pyramid head in Homecoming, and raincoat guy in Downpour.

how fucking stupid are you? I said hulett is retarded but not stupid enough to actually put pyramid head in another game like the homecoming devs

>CVX
>hard
choose one

wasn't Hulett major part of HC devs?

Talking about the Downpour guy
He is. Big monster punishing you for your sins with a big weapon. Only 2 and Origins had that
People complain about how hard it is on 4/v/. Mostly backtracking and 'muh fire extinguisher' which are both your own fault.

>Big monster punishing you for your sins with a big weapon

Did you actually play downpour?

He was the one that made Homecoming a lot less of a train wreck. Was originally supposed to be about Alex being in the middle of a power struggle between Alessa and Josh to control the town

I played a bit of it. It was buggy as shit, so I stopped. Apparently it got patched though

oh, I actually didn't know that. personally I found CVX to be too easy (par the Tyrant Plane fight) due to how much ammo the game gives you and the BOW gas rounds. no idea how they can find CVX to be hard lmao

I actually liked Downpour. It is my favorite out of all of the post trilogy games. What I hated were the monsters and the last few minutes of the game. Exploration was pretty awesome.

What I meant, and what you conveniently forgot is the little fact that the map doesn't actually show where you are, or which doors can or are already open, making the game a slog.

>Lisa and Maria mindfucks
The fact that no other SH game attempted similar gaslighting to make you doubt your protagonist's sanity is kind of disappointing. Not being able to trust your own perception/mind is probably my biggest fear.

Best horror game ever made.

His whole thing was him trying to rewrite the sh story to shove in his ocdonutsteele and have him do a dbz battle for silent hill against alessa. If the higher ups didn't stop him amd tell him to get his shit together he would've entirely rewritten sh2 and 3 during the hd collection and make homecoming and downpour about his oc josh character that would've had stories and characters based on the shitty comic books.

>less than 10 hours games
This serie is severely overrated.

I'M A SOULJA
WHERE'S JOSHUA

>hi there I'm blackman the postman
>I serve no purpose and am just here to circlejerk the shitty comics that I'm from

oh, him. I completely forgot he existed

tfw silent hill 1 GH and silent hill 2 are both in the mail.
Couldnt find 3 tho, and they costed me the price of a new ps4 game each here in my shitskin country, but they're worth it

He thinks that the cult is dumb, the VA in SH2 is bad, and that every SH should just ape 2. He doesn't know shit.

>Not being able to trust your own perception/mind
More like the game outright lies to you. Like playing amnesia and watching the main character shit himself for no reason.

>justification for Alex's retarded combat roles and SSSmoking Sick Style combos is that he was a soldier
>PLOT TWIST: HE WASN'T A SOLDIER
does Homecoming have the worst writing in any game ever?

alone in the dark new nightmare is legit good, but avoid the ps2 version, it sucks.
I dont know about the PC port but for me the only way to play it is on the original playstation

>the VA in SH2 is bad
He's not 100% wrong at least.

>quantity is more important than quality
~8 hours is perfectly fine for an extremely well-crafted survival horror game, plus they have replayability.

>they have replayability
absolutely not, you already did the puzzles and a world you're already familiar with is not more scary.sucking everything interesting about them out.

tfw:
I LOVE SH1
I LOVE SH2
I LOVE SH3
I LOVE RE1
I LOVE RE2
I LOVE RE3
I LOVE RECVX
I LOVE REmake
best feeling tbqh

Also for people who like resident evil. check out pic related. It actually gets good once you play for a bit and leave the guys voiceacting aside.
I played it expecting the worst game ever because of memes but its actually pretty decent

Bullshit. Replaying sh1 and unlocking new weapons and endings is half the fun.

You are retarded. The only VAs in 2 that are "bad" are Eddie and Laura, James sounds great and perfectly fitting for the character, and Angela sounds intentionally bizarre and childlike and it perfectly achieves its goal. Mary/Maria genuinely gives a fucking fantastic performance, just look at this scene
youtube.com/watch?v=Rv3e8jMZds0
the way she subtly switches between "Mary" and "Maria" is great, and her reading of the letter at the very ending of the game is heart-wrenching. Even if you argue that as a whole SH2's VA is bad (it's certainly an unconventional VA), you CANNOT try and claim that Tom Huelett's HD collection redub is better. He fucking ruined it, James sounds like a generic edgelord, Mary/Maria doesn't even do the subtle inflection changing between characters in the prison scene, the whole thing is a mess.

Mah nigga. Imposible to find it now, tho.

One of my favorite things about this game is definitely how James assumes an "adult" role amidst the other characters since Eddie is barely an adult compared to him and Laura/ Angela are even younger

Way to reveal you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. There's a bunch of extra content on NG+ and it takes more than 2 playthroughs to unlock everything, plus there's bonus endings and shit. Fucking retard

I downloaded and played it on psvita a while back
And literally just now it popped up on my country's shitty version of ebay, reasonable priced too (about 60 bucks american)

I dont have money tho but i would totally buy it, i have to be quick shieeet

>they got fucking Troy Baker to do James in the HD version
what a trainwreck

All afterthought shit.

Prove it.

>new weapons, unlockable costumes, and new endings
>a-afterthought! I've definitely played the games even though I just clearly revealed I don't know what I'm talking about!
most games don't have ANY bonus content for repeat playthroughs, Silent Hill does and SH3 has a fucking lot of bonus content. Just fuck off retard.

Is it SH3 that has a new riddle difficulty (Extra or something) after you do it on Hard? that was cool as shit

The bonus content is a joke.

>LMAO The dog did it! xDD
>LOOOOL she got a pink outfit and a heart lazer gun so out of place!!!
Disgusting

>enter clock tower
>leave clock tower
>different world

Cool

not him, but what would you consider GOAT bonus content?
Which game has the best replayability in your mind

Or are you just shitposting? thats ok too

So you are not even trying anymore.

>g-guys I totally knew there was bonus content but it doesn't count because reasons
It was SH2 but apparently this retard arguing against the games replayability already knew that despite saying
>you already completed all the puzzles
as part of his argument

Sh1 school is the scariest shit in horror gaming for me

I never got the point of puzzles in horror games
Resident Evil also had many.
My question is, why?

pacing
also its the way the genre works, if its pure combat then its an action game. If it doesnt have puzzles or action then its just a haunted house simulator

The hammer from the hospital ruined SH1 for me. I just went around reking everything in two hits or fewer.

Good writing in a puzzle can really add to the atmosphere
They can also be fun

Does it still hold up?

The atmosphere, themes and overall creepyness does
The gameplay not so much

>Good writing in a puzzle can really add to the atmosphere

I like some puzzles, the one for bra inlets like me. Then there's this annoying shit

The riddles behind the puzzle can be easily written to be cryptic and macabre so it adds a "challenge" to overcome without turning the game into an action game. Being a videogame, it needs some obstacles to properly pace itself and a puzzle is a far better way to do this in a survival horror game than a challenging boss fight.
slide puzzles are the perfect example of how to NOT do a survival horror puzzle. They are frustrating, lazy, and add nothing to the atmosphere. Trying to decipher a riddle is satisfying and fun, fucking around with a slide puzzle is not. Silent Hill 1-4 have no slide puzzles thankfully.
Absolutely. If you've never used tank controls before it'll take a minute to get used to them but they are perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with the gameplay, Silent Hill is not about "gameplay" or combat but it facilitates the experience perfectly fine. The art and spookiness are still wonderful.

If you played any resident evil when you where younger or silent hill 2, 3 or 4. then yes

you literally just have to move the outer ones clockwise

Funny, I was literally just about to post this picture. The other SHs have bodies and corpses around the game, but the ritual/cult corpses in SH1 really got to me. It's like, okay, your time to become a sacrifice has come. Get in the sack and prepare to die.

I got stuck in some diner and dropped it.

shit, I'm from australia and we had unlimited dialup access back then. but you're right about no one using google... eevryone used MSN, Yahoo or Altavista

>be American
>be in diner in a vidya
>try to leave but game won't let me
>assume I have to eat my daily dose of burgers before the game can continue
>the service is terrible and doesn't even have anyone at the counter
>start reeeeeing in burger hungry rage
>the radio answers my call and reees in return
>the reees attract a literal pterodactyl who joins our screeching rage against the lack of burgers
>stop playing because any game with dinosaurs is dumb since the bible says nothing about them so they can't possibly exist
Silent hill is a dumb franchise that doesn't understand america at all.