If anything can be seen as art, then video games are art. Try to refute this

If anything can be seen as art, then video games are art. Try to refute this.

Other urls found in this thread:

ludix.com/moriarty/apology.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Art ain't real

not that tho, it's a visual novel.

video games ain't real

'can be' does not mean 'is'. there is a possibility that all of the vidya is not art. i couldn't refute 'If anything can be seen as art, then video games can be art', but this is easy mode

make new thread, this time with better text and this cute anime girl in minimalistic clothes, like before

All art is shit. Anything that tries to be anything more than entertainment is pretentious preachy shit, and the makers of it deserve torture and execution for being pretentious pseudointellectual pieces of shit.

Calm down

Who's to say visual novels aren't art?

i said it wasn't a game

If the artstyle is unique, but the gameplay is the same as any other common denominator game with no additions or clever mechanics, then it isn't art. It's still a product

Nobody likes cute anime girls

Any artistic expression is art. Every videogame, movie book tv show, play comedy routine, painting, sculpture is art. There is not some barrier to it. It is not a descriptor of quality. This whole debate is dumb

I came across the opinion that's every narrative is an art in a way. So videogames are art too by this logic.

this

Any creative work in any medium that is meant to be appreciated for its aesthetic or emotional value is art. This obviously includes video games.

>b-but art can't be interactive
Yes it can. There are reports of interactive pieces of art from centuries ago, and it became particularly prominent in the last ~100 years beginning with modern art. Note that art doesn't have to be digital to be interactive, as much as physically walking through an installation can be interaction. That said, proliferation of digital art sure helped.

>b-but video games are just entertainment
1) That's wrong and 2) Doesn't stop them from being art. A game like Mario that has no deep emotional value like what a book or movie may strive to be can cause the player to feel happiness, tension, etc.

>b-but video games are a product
Just about every piece of art is a product. Music, movies, books, a number of classical paintings. But even being products they still require creative input.

>b-but if video games are art then board games are too
Yes. This kind of interaction determined by preset rules that is exclusive to games is result of creative thinking, be it chess, Pong, Cathan or whatever AAA bullshit just came out. Of course the value these things have as a piece of art can vary greatly.

Everybody stop giving these shills atention. It's just a big push by, whoever it may benefit, to take away your hobby and shit on it. They want to push this so that shit like gone home, firewatch and other interactive bullshit can be pushed as 'games'.

Can VNs be art?

Why aren't these titles games?

Since they have a category of their own called 'choose your own adventure e-books'

Literally how is Gone Home or Firewatch an ebook or a choose your own adventure? Did you actually play either of those or are you just shitposting based on what you read on this board?

Everything you said is fucking wrong.

You've never played any real visual novels

No it's not.

Thanks for ending it based chiaki poster

Prove it.

Drawings are art
writting is art
movies are art

but if you put all of them together and make them interactive, they stop being art?
really activates the almonds

Ah i forgot these were the 2 with 0 gameplay elements. Which make them movies you can walk through. I've seen gone home played and played it for a bit, it's not a fucking vidya.

Don't tell me what to do. Any media that tries to tell someone what to do is preachy "art", and deserves said torture and execution.

>Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power
Let’s do it this way: under this definition, how are video games NOT art?

>Drawings are art
Some are but not all.
>writting is art
Some are but not all.
>movies are art
Some are but not all.

If I put Ode to Joy in a movie the movie doesn't become art just because it has music that is considered art in it. Just like a museum doesn't become art just because it houses the David.

By what said, they are. They all require creative and technical input.

How are they not art?

It doesn't have to be good to be art. Shitty art exists. It doesn't stop being art because you don't like it or because it was done by an amateur.

Everything is art.

Ok, calm down.

But that's not true. You're taking a 20th century redefinition of the word "art" as if it's gospel and completely dismissing hundreds of years worth of debate of what constitutes art.

No.

The mistake people make is thinking that all art is good art when that couldn't be further from the truth. A lot of art is hot garbage. Video games are absolutely art but that isn't saying much.

This whole "R VIDYA GAEM ART?!?" shit is such a non-debate, it's just arguing over semantics. Be more specific faggots. Then your discussion might have something resembling substance.

Enlighten me, user

Everything is art.

Read this as a primer
ludix.com/moriarty/apology.html

this post is art

The Sun isn't art.

Yes it is. Everything is art.