Is it just me, or are the trees in BotW weirdly short...

Is it just me, or are the trees in BotW weirdly short? In most other games the trees tend to be much taller and create a sort of wall, but in BotW you dont get this effect

there are many kinds of trees, even in real world

yeah, a little known fact but trees actually exist in the real world and they come in varying shapes and sizes!

Nope game is perfect, fuck off sony fag.

Because they were built to be climbed and cut down. Even though climbing them is almost always pointless, and there's only two points in the game where you need to use that "chop down a tree to make a bridge" gimmick.

I felt that way as well. They are also way too sparse and don’t really form any dense walls or packs.

it would've been cool to have a proper forest in the game though, with 100m tall trees and all

You could say "it would've been cool" about a lot of things in BotW, the game is the definition of wasted potential.

damn witcher 3 looks like ass
it's the most overrated game in terms of muh graphics at least

That's a screenshot of Link standing on a cliff above the trees though.

God this looks so boring.

But its the entire world. Even this barely feels like a forest

because they reuse a handful of assets
even all the shrines are made out of the same few assets

tons of textures are obviously just scaled and rotated on rocks etc.

you made me check this on wiki
apparently there's only one tree in the world taller than 100 meters
and only eight that are 90m or taller

there are some baobabs

enemies are also just recolored

this game reuses tons of shit, I know it's open world and all that but still

yeah but this is a video game so it could've had that cool video game shit

most trees where I live don't go over like 20m

the phrase "proper forest" is what made me check desu
it's still a nice TIL fact I guess

OH NOOOO THE TREES ARE TOO SHORT MEANING THE GAME IS SHIT 0/10 MORE LIKE THE LEGEND OF POOPOO GARBAGE AMIRIGHT

its so you cant always see the landmarks and not get lost. Its a game for children keep this in mind.

It's really an ubisoft open world without the cluttered map.

Not everyone has a shitty PC

or maybe it was just easier to have small trees that aren't rendered from a distance while tall trees would need to be rendered from a huge distance away, maybe they didn't want to set up a proper lod system for that

I played it on ultra 1440p but without mods and I thought it looked very video gamey, grass is that typical flat texture crossed on itself etc.

Those are pine trees
Pine trees are tall

>very video gamey
What?

This but unironically.

when something tries to look cinematic or photoreal but you can immediately tell the compromises

>its so you cant always see the landmarks and not get lost
thats objectively good level-design because you don't have to put compass markers everyone that way

>the trees are too short.

One Year on and this is where we are.

It's so that they're more easily used in gameplay and easier to render on underpowered hardware (a giant tree popping in looks weird, but smaller trees is understandable)

You can climb them, chop them down, throw them around as physics objects and smaller objects will get stuck on each other and fuck the physics less

Witcher 3 doesn't really look good, desu

Even still I feel like its less immersive. "Open air" is boring.

Looks artificial basically.

Play any other Zelda game and you'll find out that it's universe only has 1 tall tree in it... Deku

You know, not everyone talking about BotW is on some weird goal to destroy the game's reputation. Some people just want to talk about the game. Are people required to absolutely love 100% of the game?

>BotW nitpicking has now come down to complaining about the trees being a little short
wew

>damn witcher 3 looks like ass

that is a low res screenshot taken on console. in a very unimpressive location where you dont see much around him. that screenshot is hardly representative of how the game really looks at its best or even most of the time. Most of the time on good hardware and resolution it really does look very stunning

>That's the console version

That's really not helping the comparison desu

sorry that people are talking about video games on a video game board

I think forests in Witcher 3 look amazing and more pleasant to look at then real life because of their movement and stylization.
Trees movement on the wind is exaggerated and it works at creating the atmosphere.
The forests of Witcher 3 are basically Slavic forests enhanced.

well it looks like ass and I played it on my PC which has a GTX1070, which was enough for 1440p

calling it ass is a hyperbole coming from me, but it doesn't look that good

I dont believe you. game does not look like ass by any measure.

they look way too video gamey, I dunno what would be the better way to describe it
it doesn't look that great

>But its the entire world.
It's literally just a small kingdom, dude.

real problem with the forests are the flat grounds

>objectively

fuck off. Its boring

Waypoints save time. If you dont want waypoints then make a smaller world like gothic 2

fuck you, it'd be cool as fuck to get lost in a forest in a video game, a proper lost woods

>usef fog and lighting effects instead of big towering trees to block light out in the lost woods
For what purpose? It felt cheap as fuck.

>people have spent so long ripping BotW apart they are now complaining about the tree height

BotW has baby trees because it's a baby game.

I also remember that the actual forest destroyed the framerate when the game first launched.

Bullshit, you would be right back here bitching about how you got lost in a game with huge trees.

My guess is that Ganon did so much damage to the world and all the trees you can cut are just 100 years old.

I don’t think anyone buying a game with emphasis on exploration would complain about that

I'm not talking about making the entire game a maze but instead having this one forest that would be a total mysterious place which has that whoever enters never comes out kind of vibe to it

If thats true then how can the world seem so lush otherwise? If he really did that much damage the world would look way worse

And I'm only talk about your need to bitch about everything good or bad.

speak english

The world recovered, of course.

I just got the switch with 2 you know which games. And damn, but this game man... this fucking game. It is the game. Pure fucking gameplay, atmosphere, polish... I dunno, my faith in vidya is kind of restored. I wasn't this engaged while playing a game since first DaS

lets see if you still feel that way after 10 hours

I still feel like this after 180 hours

now this is the sort of shit I genuinely can't understand

minecraft does the same shit but better

Truly the land of manlets