Playing for the first time

Playing for the first time

Any tips? It feels clunky as fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Qf6eF-6A9XA
youtube.com/watch?v=dOXkI0PKweM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

start by playing a good stealth series

Drop it and emulate Twin Snakes, it's much better. Ignore anyone who says otherwise it's retarded nostalgiafags

If you ever get stuck, use the codec and call Kernel Campbell's.

Play without radar, enemies can't see that far in MGS1, no more than what you can see in top down view. Hold down square and x to move and aim your gun at the same time, a bit awkward but you get used to it. Also grabbing someone is a bit of a pain, you can accidentally alert if you do it wrong.

don't use analog stick for movement if you're doing that, they were just a novelty gimmick back when MGS came out.

Is there any difference besides "muh graphix" because if so I could care less.

>I could care less

voice acting and cutscenes are worse, also the first person view is hamfisted as fuck but MGS2 had it so they just put it there.

You should definitely play the original before TTS, that guy is trying to stir shit up. TTS has MGS2 mechanics and some horrible cutscenes with backflips and retarded shit.

Worse music.
Worse voice acting.
Weird cutscenes.
Entirely too easy thanks to the tranq gun and first person aiming.
youtu.be/Qf6eF-6A9XA

The gameplay is way more polished, the fi9rst person view makes the game 100 times better
Ignore these autists:
I;m not trying to star shit up it's just retarded "i'm so old school and retro guy" bullshit, the game is just better

No he just seems slippery a lot of the time, like I try to peek around a corner and snake overshoots it and I end up getting spotted.

>i could care less

how is it clunky? played it last year and it feels alright

Not OP bit is legacy collection the best way to play these games?

>I;m not trying to star shit up
Seek medical attention, I think you're having a stroke.

>Awful cutscenes
>Worse voiceacting
>Introduces MGS2 mechanics and AI without reworking the rooms, so some rooms can be bypassed entirely while other have you spotted as soon as you enter. First person view completely ruins the Ocelot fight.
>Uses MGS2 lighting which makes everything look bright and clean instead of the dark gritty atmospheric look of the original.
It has a few positives though
>A few rooms have replaced gun cameras with guards, in general less gun cameras.
>it has a cool alternative to the rappeling section
>The introduction of lockers feels kind of natural.
Thats about it. MGS1 is better but TTS isn't that bad.

Neither HD Collection nor Legacy Collection has the bonus shit from Substance or Subsistence, but if you can live without skateboarding as Raiden then go ahead. Also it doesn't include MGS1.

>I'm not trying to start shit
>calls everyone citing perfectly valid criticisms of the games autists

Don't expect the gameplay to help you if you decide to play the other entries. All of them feel really different to play.

Beginning of metal gear games are generally the most difficult because of getting used to the controls. I can't even guess how many of those poor Russians I accidentally shanked in 3.

>The gameplay is way more polished
It isn't, you can cheese so many sections it makes you wonder if they tested it. I love Eternal Darkness and all, but Silicon Knights couldn't code for shit. Nintendo had to constantly breathe down their necks to even get the game released.

The aiming with the gun does indeed feel clunky at first. You kind of have an auto-aim but the game is clearly not meant to be played shooting things up.

In general you will fuck up trying to "strangle" guards from behind so don't bother. Guards can be easily fooled by knocking.

It's a good game that rewards you for getting over the hump in learning its controls, so keep at it.

Do not play the twin snakes, play the original. You'll get used to the feel of the game. Just remember, it's a stealth game first and foremost, don't try to shoot your way through everything.

It doesn't come with a physical copy of 1 but it has a download code

nvm, it seems it has a PSN code to download MGS1.

So yes, it's one of the best way to play it, other being emulation.

Liar. I have the Legacy Collection and it includes every game from MGS1-4 and even MG1 and 2 and Peace Walker

Remember the numbers on locked doors. back tracking a bit can get some really good items whenever you get a new keycard.

Twin snakes is like an abridged series take on mgs1.

Mgs1 took itself just serious enough. Twin snakes is just all kinds of outlandish goofiness. You should totally play it at some point; but it's a lot more enjoyable if you've already played the original.

>Music
>Voice acting
>Weird cutscenes
>Valid criticisms
The music is the fucking same, the voice acting is fine and a couple of backflips don't hurt anyone. The first person view does make the game easier but only because it makes it more accessible, not being able to aim you gun properly is retarded artificial difficulty

Legacy Collection is basically HD Collection with MGS4 and a psn code to download MGS1. Neither does include the bonus shit from Substance or Subsistence.

You mean neither of those has ALL the bonus content from substance and subsistence. The only significant cuts were the raiden skayeboarding thing which was a tony hawk demo and the ape escape levels. They still have MG1 and MG2 though. Also legacy collection absolutley does include MGS1, it's a PSN code though for a PS classic version.

Mgs1 is the best. Anyone who tells you to play twin snakes is a filthy pleb who probably modded deus ex on their first playthrough because it (((didn't age well)))

thanks

noone would ever tell anyone to play Twin Snakes instead of MGS1

Again with this stupid "it's better because it's old", GMDX 9 is better than vanilla in every way possible so yes you should play that on the first and every playthrough
No autist that is, it's common knowledge among my friends that Twin Snakes is the real way to play MGS1, the same with REmake

jesus christ kill yourself right now. twin snakes is a fucking abomination

>they're not valid criticisms because I say so!
Okay champ
>the music is the fucking same
It literally isn't the same and there's no way of arguing around this
>the voice acting is fine
It's serviceable but the general consensus is that the original lines are better. Grey Fox alone is worth sticking to the original for
>a couple of backflips don't hurt anyone
You're being disingenuous as fuck here because it's not just 'a couple of backflips', the entire tone of the game is all over the place. Just look at , stupid shit like this is everywhere in the game for no reason, from Snake literally walking on Hind missiles to him quickscoping Sniper Wolf
>The first person view does make the game easier but only because it makes it more accessible
Twin Snakes just staples MGS2 mechanics onto a game whose level design was never designed around those mechanics in the first place. Prime example is entering the Tank Hangar from the top vent. In the original you had to walk all the way around the metal catwalk, avoid several cameras and make your way downstairs to get to the elevator without being caught by the guards. In Twin Snakes you can just tranq everyone in the room from an uncontested birds eye view, hang off the side of the catwalk, jump down and get into the elevator in 2 seconds. There's way too many open sightlines that can just be abused because the game wasn't designed for first person view. That and it makes some of the bosses trivial as fuck

I'm sorry that you and all of your friends haven't gotten out of puberty yet

It's not "better because it's old" it's the game the developers made, and in the case of mgs1 it's just plain better. You and "your friends" sound like insufferable graphics whore faggots

And no gmdx is not better in every way and vanilla is the only way to go 1st playthrough. Gmdx is great but your first time should be what the devs released. I bet you watch the remastered star wars movies instead of the theatrical releases too, what a pleb

I forgot how fucking terrible that scene was

>Music
Who gives a fuck
>Voice acting
Who gives a fuck
>Cutscenes
A little exaggerated but again, who gives a fuck. Hell they add to the experience
>First person
You have higher difficulties to balance it out, the original is fine to play as a challenge but first person makes the game much more organic and natural. We're talking about a first playthrough here, the guy won't know about shortcuts, the game won't be easy for a new player
We're all non-autistc adults so we have everyone else in this thread beat
I'm the first person to say gameplay>graphics, i'm defending TTS because it's superior gameplay not the graphics
And fuck what the devs "intended" i want to play the best experience possible and GMDX is just that. Would you eat the first pizza recipe ever made just because "that's what the creator intended" or would you rather eat the best modern pizza from New York? Exactly

Well I'm a storyfag and my advice to all the other closet storyfags who are too afraid not to fit:

play the original emulated or better yet get the collection on PS3.

Oh and if you want something really cool play the windows port. That's how I was introduced to the series way back when.

>Any tips? It feels clunky as fuck.
we get it, you're young

Appreciate the wallpaper, friendo.

it's better to use the D-Pad than analog

>unbalanced gameplay where elements from mgs2 are forced into mgs1 despite not changing the maps
>voice acting is worse, everyone phones it in
>cutscenes by Ryuhei Kitamura, who directed them faithfully at first until Kojima said "no, make them retarded, I want snake to do backflips and shit" and so he did
>everyone has expressionless faces where the improved graphics only draw attention to snake's weird botox face
it's a mess.
youtube.com/watch?v=dOXkI0PKweM
this cutscene is great though

The gameplay changes break the game. Let me guess, when you play REmake you don't use tank controls? Again it breaks the game, the AI wasnt designed for that. Seems to me like games from the golden age are too hard for you kids these days

Everything about Gray Fox is better in Twin Snakes.
People are deluding themselves if they think that "better voice acting" applies to Gray Fox in ps1 MGS.

jack i am pregnant turn off the game console

the 2000 babies are here now and nothing you do can make us leave

Psico Mantis?

While the gameplay was revolutionary at the time, it's pretty dated at this point.

>food analogies
>lol who gives a fuck about everything that's wrong with it what are you AUTISTIC
Never reproduce

What about the legacy colection?

see
This infographic probably predates Legacy Collection, it was what i used long time ago.

haha oh wow man. The realâ„¢ way to play MGS huh? You're friends are as terrible as you.

Twin snakes will feel smoother and easier to play. I love the original but I started on that one when I was a kid so it doesn't bother me. I can definitely see how it would feel clunky if you've never played before. Twin snakes didn't just update graphics, it also made the game feel more intuitive and easy to control. The voice acting for some characters is worse though. If you really care about having that genuine first experience with the real first game that captivated people to begin with (I'm not counting mg and mg2) then stick with the original but if you just want a general feel for the game and to get the story then go with twin snakes.

I played the series by release date my first time then after I played V, I had a friend suggest an order that aimed to resolve the "wut" moments in the series by giving more context to Big Boss and the Patriots when it's needed. Plus I feel like a healthy amount of forgetting kind of helps when playing through both parts of 2 or V. The order is:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty(Tanker)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty(Big Shell)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

The only problem is jumping controls a lot, but seeing the story in that order was cool, and 4 is more bearable when you hold the context from 2 directly over to 4 without 3 making you realize that you didn't want to watch edgy grandpa in skin tight clothes fight the bosses of MGS 1 except in fetish form.

How dare you speak to me

>everything
Those little things hardly count as anything at all, again, who gives a fuck. It doesn't matter. The pros are far better than the little cons

I've seen some shit opinions on this website over the years but this is one of the shittiest I've seen.

Because it is. Same with Ocarina of Time

Game came out in 98 and things evolved since then. If you don't have nostalgia goggles then things are ugly.

>chronology

Nostalgiafagging is the worst kind of cancer and this is someone whose favorite game is Ocarina, TTS is better than the original and this is a fact whether you like it or not

This list is so fucking weird. Why play tanker and then switch to PW and then GW and then finish MGS2. Even chronology wise it doesnt make any sense.

>game that heavily relies on the story and its exposition to drive it forward
>lol dude who cares about the music, voice acting and cutscenes being worse than the original?my friends think it's cool btw food analogies!
You have to be 18 or older to post here

You forgot Ghost Babel which is also a MGS game.

Negative.

I got into the series when 3 came out. played 1 then 2 and TS in sequence after and its just horrendous and lifeless, not to mention the MGS2 pistol + mechanics just breaks the game. TS is a joke.

I started the series few years ago when I found out you could emulate games on your Android, MGS1 Does hold up pretty well especially when it's your first game

>remember I have the HD collection on my old ass 360
>havent used it in years
>turn on the 360
>loud jet noises from the fan
>turn it back off
Jesus christ after not using it for many years i've forgotten how loud this piece of shit is.

I say this as a Metal Gear fan who fines everything older then 2 outdated and non fun. TTS has worse cutscene's/VA's and the MGS2 gameplay they added completely breaks it but Solid 1 is just not fun anymore. Beat the original so you can say you beat it then never touch either again.

My first was the original MGS back in the day and i disagree, i remember loving the remake so much and being blown away by it and not only for the graphics but the gameplay. I don't know what it wrong with people, if you want a hard action game play Ninja Gaiden or something, TTS has decent difficulty. You call me graphixfag i call you all hardfags

Just try and get into the story and let the rest take you from there. It's a short game so just wing it and don't listen to these autistic fags