youtu.be/zzCFMqJiuYs
youtube.com/watch?v=zzCFMqJiuYs
youtube.com/watch?v=NEMzaoieKuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gLiQvBP583A
youtube.com/watch?v=szSgy6uTtNg
youtube.com/watch?v=RYNyMtVwZlY
youtube.com/watch?v=TiQh8wm_75A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

arsenal paused the game every time you used the radial menu for guns, right? then it's 9.5

How the fuck is that a negative? Do you want it to be like in Ratchet and Clank 1 where you had to fiddle around in the menu real time while enemies attacked you?

Every game but the first one did that. Doesn't change the fact that R&C2 is a 10/10 but tevhnically not a Third Person Shooter, I guess?

>those bugs
>those literal filler worlds
>that final bossfight
>the wildly inconsistent asset quality between high effort and low effort levels
>the continued lack of any substantial, proper platforming
>that box art

R&C2 is really good but it is not a 10/10

you can turn it off

Going Commando was better

>technically not a third person shooter
It's a Third Person Shooter though. It's also a Platformer, but that doesn't make it not a Third Person Shooter.

R&C2 and R&C3 had more engaging gameplay overall, but R&C1 is the only installment in the series with a good story, and has the best soundtrack by a very wide margin.

Stealth Ratchet thread?
I can't think of any other third person shooters that would be genuine 10/10s.

Ratchet was easily the worst of the big 3 PS2 platformers. Prove me wrong.

>up your arsenal is r&c 2

ehm wot

IIT: 10/10 Developer podcasts
youtube.com/watch?v=VK6eeS1LPFQ

I actually wanted a 10/10 TPS thread but I'm fine with a ratchet thread. The only other 10/10 TPSes I can think of are the Max Payne trilogy (Yes, even 3) and RE4.

Well it's a 3rd person perspective game where you fire guns, but maybe the term Third Person Shooter should be reserved for games with actual aiming mechanics like RE4? Know what I mean? Not that any of this would matter.

Up Your Arsenal? more like "shove that game Up Your Ass"

The Jak series wasn't that good.

RE4 is definitely a 10, agree on that.
Max Payne 3 to me is a 9, would be a 10 if you could skip the cutscenes on repeat playthroughs. Haven't played 1 or 2.

A lot of early first person shooters like doom have really generous autoaim, but they're still first person shooters.

"All 4 One"? More like "The Awful One"!

Well fuck me my bad. I'm a yuropoor and always get mixed up with the murricunt names.

Dude go play Max Payne 1 and 2, they're fantastic and aged surprisingly well.

Jak 2 and 3 have some of the worst 3rd person gunplay of all time. 1 is great though.

Sly 1 was an ok platformer. Nothing special about it. 2 fucked it up with the boring forced combat sections. Everything else was good. 3 had too many minigames and shitty side characters. None of them any fun to play as compared to Sly.

I would love if they remake Jak 2 and 3 as modern third-person cover shooters with some stealth stuff too.

Excuse me, superior game goin through!

I'm conflicted on that, because while I feel like R&C took one step forward and two steps back with every new installment, Sly Cooper had the worst installment of any of the three trilogies (although it paradoxically has the best game of them all as well). Here's my rankings for all nine:

Band of Thieves > Jak II > R&C > Precursor Legacy > Going Commando > Jak 3 > Up Your Arsenal > Thievious Raccoonus > Honor Among Thieves

Feel free to leave any questions on why my opinions are as wrong as they are.

Jet Force Gemini and RE4 are the only 3rd person shooters I'd rate 10/10

you described my griped with both of those series in like 4 sentences

patrician

>cover shooters
Ew, please no. Cover shooters are the shallowest puddles of shit around. Waiting isn't fun.

Gladiator is supreme

this has to be bait.

>Can't aim or strafe
>Good
Pick one.

The Jak Games were, in order:
>A 6.5/10 collectathon platformer where its main selling points were all to do with the tech rather than the gameplay/stiry/music/level design/etc.
>The above but with a stripped down GTA clone stapled messily into it and "edgy" early 00s tween writing plus fucking TERRIBLE gunplay added
>The above except with shit vehicle combat sections mixed in and the gta part even further watered down
>An actually okay kart racer that was sadly lacking in good characters
>A bad PSP action platformer with mild puzzle elements
>A literal abortion disguised as a sequel made by different devs

R&C has more bad entries because it's the bigger franchise but it also has way more than just two good entries like Jak does.

if it didn't lag so much.

Going Commando>Jak 1>Sly 1

Rest don't matter

Band of Thieves and Honor Among Thieves aren't really all that different. Why the differing opinions?

Nice

No.

I actually never played any of the Future games, how were they?

"Into the Nexus"? More like "Into the Trash"

Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time are genuinely wonderful. ToD feels a lot like 2 and 3. ACiT is a nice step forward with explorable space and actually fun Clank sections.
The soundtracks aren't quite as good as in the PS2 games though. They're just generic orchestral stuff.

Oh good, I'll check them out then. How were the other 2 future games, and the remake?

Tools of Discussion is really fucking bland in everything from writing to level and UI design. It's okay for one playthrough but do not bother with NG+ or trying to get 100%. You can tell the graphics leap is where most of the budget went since they couldn't reuse assets for it like the PS2 games did.

QfB is super short and shooting focused and honestly feels like a mediocre expansion more than anything.

CiT is where they hit their stride and actually made a good game again. Story feels more Pixar than PS2 era games but is still decent, levels are fun and varied, plenty of side-content, good weapons, solid bosses, etc.

ItN is another one that feels like an expansion but it's decent aside from the framerate dipping a lot.

Don't bother with the rest they're all garbage spinoffs.

That's even worse

SEQUEL NEVER. THANKS BLIZZARD

It makes sense for the games though. Like hunting metal heads in the forest and shit would be much better as a stealth shooter than a platformer.

Eh, cover based shooting isn't great but Naughty Dog actually knows how to make a decent cover shooter.

This. Gladiator had:
>best arsenal (It's the only game in the series where every weapon stays useful all the way to the end of the game.)
>best combat
>best music
>best bosses
>best new game plus
>it's actually really challenging on the highest difficulty
The only real flaws are the really bad slowdown when the action gets too tense and the lack of variety in the gameplay in comparison to previous R&C games.

Quest for Booty and Into the Nexus are both short PSN games that last about 3 hours each. They're fine but the short length is a problem.
QfB links the stories of ToD and ACiT so you might want to play it in between them, though.

The remake isn't very good sadly. Worse than the original. It cuts half the planets and therefore also completely guts the story. The only good new feature not in the original is strafing.

>Best Music
Can you link me to any good tracks? I haven't heard Gladiator's soundtrack but I kind of doubt its soundtrack is better than 1's.

Cover shooters in general would make a lot more sense if you died very quickly so you'd have to actually be stealthy and stuff

Yeah it makes sense,too bad cover shooters are never fun, unless you count Vanquish as a cover shooter.

Hell yeah, shame Bergeaud left after this one

youtube.com/watch?v=VZIr4gdewp0

I like how this sounds like the earlier games in some parts

Don't forget
>best comedic writing
>customizable and based as fuck robobros
>best co-op

If they made a Gladiator 2 that put back in the platforming, ran decently, had online multiplayer, and tuned up the vehicle sections I would cry from joy.

All the better if it actually had online leaderboards, clans, and maybe seasonal events + limited time challenges so the setting was worked into the multiplayer.

2 introduced the shift in style from 1 so it gets credited with that pushing it above 3. 2 introduced new characters but let you play as them for a long amount of time so you could get used to controlling them. In opposition 3 would introduce a character and let you play as them 3-4 times and not explore the overworld much so it felt kinda crappy playing as them at times. That said 3 has some amazing parts which pushes it above 2 which is why the two games are tightly contested. 2 tends to win out due to more explorable areas, more stages where you're playing as the character not a minigame kind of thing and more time to get used to the playable characters.

I'll respect that, even though I think that all nine games are worthwhile.
Honestly, the minigames in Band of Thieves weren't really a detriment to how much I enjoyed the game overall, because I felt like they didn't intrude on the gameplay overall enough for me to overlook the fact that the game improves upon just about every single aspect of Thievious Raccoonus -- which is the basis for why I think it's one of the best video game sequels ever made, because it does exactly what a sequel is supposed to do.
Honor Among Thieves, on the other hand, felt much, much more intrusive with the minigames, and they went from being what was sometimes a pretty neat addition to the story to something that I just dreaded every time it came up (like the dialogue trees and that one pirate talk minigame -- holy fucking shit). The story was all over the place, and felt like the developers were just throwing darts at the wall to scramble together a game in the short amount of time they had to develop another game, and I felt this way especially on the pirate chapter where half of it is devoted to piloting a ship and engaging in naval combat. That was neat for a moment, but what the fuck? It feels like an entirely different game. Also, it has no clue bottles.

>best comedic writing
Agree on this so much. It's the only game in the series I'd consider genuinely hilarious. Crazy that it isn't recognized for its humor more often.

Max Payne 3 is fantastic, but that isn't exactly a cover shooter either. The only good TPS that uses cover as an important part of the game is The Last Of Us.

Remake is an odd case where the gameplay, levels, and visuals are fantastic but it has less worlds than the original and Sony demanded it not spoil the film so it's (poorly) framed as Quark retelling the story and it outright skips major scenes or montages in the film.

Like you have Clank meet a robot chick then three hours later they talk again and it's clear in the film they bonded at some point but it isn't in the game at all so they're just suddenly friendly.

Agreed with all these anons.

Gladiator is best.

Eh, I like The Last of Us but consider the cover shooting its worst aspect. Stealth whenever possible.

Uncharted series is fucking shit

Honestly I don't think I could call TLoU a 10/10 either since most enemy encounters up to the Winter chapter are extremely formulaic.

The multi was great gameplay wise though.

Amazing, I never expected someone to post this here, 10/10.

I like the cover shooting because there's actual tension from the survival elements instead of it being "Just sit your ass down and do nothing till your health is back up"
I said good, I didn't mean 10/10.

R&C1 had its moments as well.
>Can you quickly conquer Quark's killer cannonade of conquounded conquaptions?
>...Can you quickly quon--
>Can you quarkly qui--
>AUGH

Some of the best split-screen multiplayer matches I had as a kid.

youtube.com/watch?v=6zaqeNZLeqs
youtube.com/watch?v=qsVENdWKHPo
youtube.com/watch?v=JgJk2SvPuH4
youtube.com/watch?v=zawKMmAhdco
youtube.com/watch?v=iCwl-yuDxiI
youtube.com/watch?v=0_Bok4_67t4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZg-lX2g4s
It doesn't have as much variety as the previous games but the soundtrack just kicks so much ass (the linked songs are just a portion) it doesn't matter. The darker tone of the music also fits the mood of the game really well.

I miss OSTs like this so much, why is almost everything generic orchestra shit now?

Damn, this is some good shit.

People make movie games now and 90% of movies have always had generic atmospheric orchestra

To this day, I still wish R&C took a direction more like Deadlocked (or Gladiator, if you live outside NA) in the PS3 installments, rather than trying to be the newest Pixar IP. That's probably what Insomniac was going for, anyway, before Sony started telling them to go the opposite direction.

Jak II and 3 have my favorite universe from any game series. It's just such a cool world, I wish the gameplay did it justice.

What are some other good game OSTs with a dark techno tone like this? The only others that come to mind are System Shock 2, Quake 3, and Half Life.

Galdiator was a tad too much edge, future was too squeaky clean boring. The tone in the first game was perfect imo

It took you a couple of tries, but you got me mung, good job.

>no mention of EDF yet
sad

I'm okay with the Future series being more Pixarish, I just wish it hadn't taken until ACiT for them to do it well and that it hadn't become the sole focus of the franchise ever since.

>That janky piece of shit
>10/10

EDF is fun but calling it 10/10 is fucking asinine.

I like EDF but nigga be real it is a janky mess of a series built on rehashes with constant technical problems.

It's a guilty pleasure, not a 10/10.

It's premium garbage.

A series like Ratchet and Clank could never really excel on PS3. they had to go more childish, because real shooters were much more realistic and gritty. Look at Resistance.

Unreal games have great soundtracks, maybe not what you're looking for as they miss that darker undertone, but still worth checking out

Good but not as good as the PS2 games

An example
youtube.com/watch?v=i_0G6WPuss4
This one is so iconic, chances are you've heard it even if you never played the game

Thugs-4-less boss did nothing wrong and was murdered by Ratchet for doing his job.

Bruh I wouldn't even call Binary Domain or Vanquish a 10/10

EDF deserves maybe an 7/10 at best

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. I wasn't implying that I wanted them to double down on the seriousness, because I've always felt that R&C at its core is supposed to be a very satirical retro-futuristic universe à la Futurama, and that focus got increasingly more lost with every new installment. By the PS3 trilogy, it became almost completely unrecognizable in that regard.
That being said, I feel like they easily could have made the series a little more serious overall than R&C1 was while still maintaining the satirical aspect.

That's a great comparison, never thought of that

Some more
youtube.com/watch?v=i5Xw5cjhy60
youtube.com/watch?v=BcP0puQIrLk
youtube.com/watch?v=kXooZwIG-1g
youtube.com/watch?v=J8XvEyHM5sg
youtube.com/watch?v=6pNeyggbNXI
youtube.com/watch?v=Ecrx4-AjG2k
youtube.com/watch?v=YkZrAXVqlX0
youtube.com/watch?v=hIdDvIZEZWg

youtu.be/zzCFMqJiuYs
>when you're in that slow as fuck mech while being surrounded by thousands of robots shooting you down along with with rocket launchers firing fast and hard to avoid rockets from a far distance
Good times.

This game on exterminator got pretty fucking brutal at times, Shaar was a huge difficulty spike IIRC
Or maybe my underage ass was just bad

It's a leading reason why I feel that R&C1 is the best installment in the series, even if the combat mechanics aren't very good in comparison to the later ones. Everything about it -- the whimsical-but-still-mechanical soundtrack, the 1950s retro-futuristic styling on everything, the Infobots that paid homage to old newsreels and public service announcements, and the extremely money-grubbing society -- it all came together so well that no other game in the series really achieved on the same level.
They pretty much perfected the setting and tone of the universe right off the bat, and then there wasn't really anywhere else to go but downhill from there.

I hear the PSN port of Deadlocked kind of sucked. Was it that bad or is it acceptable enough if I just want to get it without hunting down an original PS2 copy?

its acceptable until you play co-op, the cutscenes are also all kind of fucked

Yes it could be pretty brutal, especially that Shaar mission and the first Stygia mission.

>trying to kill someone is not wrong

Best coffee machine

The Ratchet and Clank games looks really great on PCSX2 now that mipmapping works.

>freezes everything including your game

Last time I played through Deadlocked/Gladiator, I installed the shock mod on the Dual Vipers and then played that one challenge where you have to prevent enemies from reaching a certain part of the platform you're on. I only needed to shoot once for it to shock every single level 1 enemy in a row (about a dozen of them), and it immediately tanked the game's framerate to under 10 FPS.

What emulator settings do you use? I got R&C1 to work great for me once, but I forgot what settings I used to get that to happen, and now I can't get it to work very well anymore. Do you adjust the EE cyclerate and VU cycle stealing much?

>that sound of the bombs bouncing around

What are some other patrician weapons? Aside from Lava Gun, RIP

My nigga

I have EE cycle rate underclocked to 2 most of the time and 1 for arena fights. It's not perfectly smooth all the time, but runs at funn speed on my old-ish CPU. Then I have all speedhack boxes checked except fast DVD access. the multi-thread ones seems to help quite a lot on my quad core.

Meteor gun actually is really good if you get a lock on for it

Whenever I think back to the series, this soundtrack always comes to mind. Damn shame they didn't do the same with the future series.

>left out the best song
youtube.com/watch?v=zzCFMqJiuYs

Pretty much every gun in Deadlocked, especially the Vipers/Flail/Mine Launcher
Every Ratchet sniper and missile launcher is amazing
Miniturrets

they're entirely fucking different in the way that one is a game and the other is a pile of shit made in a couple of months because money

>Go into thread expecting mediocre taste
>Get god-tier taste

Today was a good day

max payne 1 and 2 both 10/10
>with mods
fucking 11/10

youtube.com/watch?v=NEMzaoieKuQ

arsenalfags FOREVER btfo

I'm playing this for the first time and the combat has aged like dogshit. I try to avoid firing my weapon or doing anything but stealth because everything else just feels horrible.
If the story weren't mildly intriguing i would have dropped it hard.

>trying to ruin an actually on-topic vidya thread with epic e-celeb posting

Nice one

I'm not going to watch this, because I don't think UYA is bad and don't want something changing my opinion. GC and UYA are both top tier.

>GC
some of the levels in GC are genuinely horrendous
the mechanical refinements are great but seriously look back at some of the levels

>UYA
in the video I linked he shows concrete proof that the game was rushed, the devs had a podcast wherein they said they were freaking the fuck out before launch because the game just wasn't finished and by some miracle it was well-received anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=gLiQvBP583A

(most) of the points make sense, but he doesnt get why people hold it in high regard

>he shows concrete proof that the game was rushed
And it still turned out to be a great game.

Only built on the foundations that the previous games had already built for it. On its own, the content added doesn't outweigh the content removed. Personally I think my fond memories of teamkilling in the multiplayer is why I remember the game so well, rather than any real improvement on a gameplay level.

>Novacanoo
My nigga

>mfw figuring out how to fire this gun more quickly

> It's also a Platformer, but that doesn't make it not a Third Person Shooter
It does, because being a platformer the movement is more important than the shooting, you can play the entire game without shooting, and the shooting is neither good, nor deep, nor challenging.
Its a 3D jump and run with guns.

I loved the whole trilogy.

10/10???

The plot and characters were complete shit! You didn't even get to fight the main villain, he didn't even get any kind of repercussions unless you watched after the credits. Not to mention that insanely shitty ending that's just ratchet saying he'll fix an unnamed robot.

The two variants of gliding sections and lock mechanisms were frustrating in comparison to the other games and the whole thing just felt like a clusterfuck. I did really enjoy the ship combat and weapon upgrade system though but that doesn't make up for the horrible writing and schizophrenic gameplay gimmicks.

The third one had some of the best tracks in the series though, the courtney gears theme was amazing as well as all the vid-comic themes.
youtube.com/watch?v=szSgy6uTtNg

>max payne 3
>good in any way shape or form

Glad this hidden gem of a game is still remembered. It really was 10/10. I used to leave it up on my TV just to listen to the music.

youtube.com/watch?v=RYNyMtVwZlY

D E S T R O Y

i want those gears to grind on my dick if you see what im saying

youtube.com/watch?v=TiQh8wm_75A

the robotech game for ps2 was 10/10 for sure.

found out my friend was into giant ladies cause of this game too lol.

>Do you want it to be like in Ratchet and Clank 1 where you had to fiddle around in the menu real time while enemies attacked you?

Yes.

Playing through it again just now, I see some of the flaws. But weirdly, a lot of people hated the starship combat and racing in GC and the ranger missions in UYA were just more of the core gameplay. So i can see why it was rated equally well.

The five-tier weapon upgrades in UYA really make the who weapon XP thing work much better.

kek

hail to the king bitch

Holy fuck someone else remembers that game.
I never beat it because enemies hit like a fucking truck later on.

>Game that had potential to be a great zombie survival.
>Fail to do that
>Become shitty battle royale instead
Yay

motherfucking robotech battlecry

No.

How is Max Payne 3 not good?

Based mung poster