This game is way better than Breath of the Wild

This game is way better than Breath of the Wild

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RoAW2W4NeG4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ok

I like them both :-)

This is the newest way for Nintendo haters to "win". They want to de-legitimize BotW by saying that Odyssey is clearly the better game. They know this is effective, because while Odyssey is good it's not really revolutionary. No, the real pain and asshurt comes from how BotW managed to make every other open world look utterly juvenile in comparison, and it legitimized Nintendo as a developer again. So they praise Odyssey as a way to sneakily deny BotW the props it is do, while still maintaining the visage of being a Nintendo fan. But they know they are actually making BotW look bad in the process and that is their ultimate goal.

People should not be fooled by this anymore. When people say that Odyssey is clearly a better game than BotW, most likely they are anti-Nintendo, were butthurt by how BotW revolutionized the open world genre and gained unprecedented acclaim (and thus made their games look much worse and instantly outdated in comparison) and are trying to de-legitimize it in the only way they can. This is their newest and currently most effective tactic, but we shouldn't let them get away with it so easily.

Nope. Odyssey's definitely better than BotW, I've played both and am a nintendofag. Sorry opinions exist, my dude.

I dunno, I like them both but Zelda definitely got more playtime hours from me by at least twice.
I probably pick BotW over Odyssey if I could only have one.

In my opinion Odyssey was way more fun to play AND explore. BotW was just fun to explore, while the combat was lame and controls can be clunky at times.

It's no masterpiece.

This is either bait or you are way over-thinking things here

Even though I got more playtime from Breath of the Wild, I prefer Odyssey, because I had a lot more fun with that game. I was extremely disappointed with Zelda, the lack of good, dungeons, music, story and the extremely repetitive content killed it for me.

And here we go again.

While Odyssey was great fun, I just couldn’t see the appeal of BotW. Im sad to see them ditch the OOT formula tbqh although I suppose I should be glad they’re experimenting.

It's no Super Mario Bros. 2 baybeeeee!

Is the OoT formula what was being used for every Zelda game up to BotW? I feel like some of the games were still very different.

based

technically, yes, but it lacks the ambition that BotW has which makes it a less *interesting* game

Best post

>*watches It's No Masterpiece once*

I spent more time with BotW, but retroactively realized its shortcomings like shrines being samey and not much to collect in the world. Mario I'd say I liked more just because I like platformers.

No it isn't, and although I generally dislike Joseph Anderson, he does an exceptional job of pointing out exactly why BotW is a better game than Odyssey.

>*realizes he just wasted 2 hours of his life*

I had fun with Odyssey, but it was literally korok seeds: the game. At least the korok seeds in BotW were just a thing on the side and not the main focus of the game.
Odyssey was disappointing, I don't get why normies think it's on par with Mario 64.

I agree it should have got GOTY

>technically, yes

Not even. At least BotW has a variety of things to do like shrines, koroks, sidequests, and other cool things to interact with on the map. Odyssey on the other hand has one thing and it's quite possibly the worst collectible in the series.

I can't get 100 in jumpropes and Dsp got 200 and some first try

This.

Plus, the worst Korok Seeds were the ones under a lone rock with no puzzles involved. The worst Moons on the other hand were literally just sitting right out in the open, many of which didn't even require any kind of platforming to get to. The good Moons were generally much more uncommon than the shitty ones too.

>Liquid turd is better than dried turd.
What an achievement.

I love how everyone believed this was going to be some great innovative title and turned out to be just Mario.

>I'm too dumb to use any arguments of my own
You're entitled to YOUR opinion, so why is it that your opinion is some OTHER faggot's opinion?

Sometimes, opinions can happen to coincide. Shocking!

For the record, I've been arguing about the retardation of Moons long before Anderson released his video.

Bought botw even though i dont kike zelda, played it for 70 hours. Bought mario becayse i like mario, plated it for 15. It was honestly not that fun to me and i dont like the way mario controls. Too slippery and i dont enjoy the hat

Hopefully will get Odyssey 2

The problem with Korok seeds is they were tied to braindead copy paste puzzles, Moons actually challenge you in different ways and are built around Marios movement and capture abilities.

Not him, but yeah that's definitely bullshit. I have more hours clocked into Odyssey than I care to admit and a vast majority of Moons feel copypasted and not challenging at all.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was better than both even with it's flaws.

Mario Odyssey it's not that revolutionary to the industry as BOTW is, but it's still a better game.
In a few years, many games will try to be BOTW, and later on, Zelda titles will expand in that formula that BOTW created, and they're going to overshadow Botw. Just like what happened to Goldeneye, it was a revolutionary game but nowadays it's been far surpassed by other games of the genre.
Botw it's flawed, the enemy variety it's poor, the weapon system it's arguably mediocre and the game bosses and dungeons aren't that great compared to those from previous titles.
Mario Odyssey is not going to get old, the game every single kingdom adds a ton of content, enemies and mechanics that keep the game fresh and unique. I don't think the game having a lot of content it's an actual flaw.
You still get a lot of great bosses that can be speedrunned, a lot of great enemies to capture and cool level design ideas to explore the world around you and you don't have content locked with amiibo.
Besides, most of the moons are optional, this mitigates everyone's problem with the game's excessive amount of moons. I really don't see the number of moons as a problem, while some of them are forgettable at worst, most of them are unique and bring some cool level design elements to the game.
Both of them are great titles but Mario Odyssey it's just better.

>Mario Odyssey is not going to get old

Fucking kek. It got old within the first few hours.

>throw cap at pointy thing
>throw cap at flowers
>ground pound glowing spot
>kick glowing rock
>talk to NPC
>talk to ANOTHER NPC
>plant some seeds
>buy one from the shop
>follow the dog around
>stack some goombas
>wear certain clothes
>break glowing crate
>the note challenges
>two koopa races

It's always hilarious to see Odysseyfags pretend that their precious little piece of garbage isn't the absolute WORST part of BotW stretched out into an entire game.

>autism
BOTW has way more fundamental flaws than Odyssey.

I agree, but I prefer platformers, so there's a bias.

HE SAID IT

What do people love about Zelda?
>dungeons
>soundtrack
>characters
>bosses
What do people hate about Zelda?
>searching every grain of sand for that last heart piece

BOTW fucked up. It's carried solely on the novelty of an open world Zelda.

I hate soy addled Link.

He could still probably beat you up.

I always see people trying to argue that Moons aren't like Korok Seeds but every time they do that it honestly feels like they're kinda grasping at straws. I've played both games for over a hundred hours each and Moons definitely feel like filler content. So much of it consists of copypasted activities, many of which aren't anything more involved than just doing something with an obvious glowing part.

Fuck no. Only autistic plebs believe that

incorrect

Zelda's fate was sealed after the poor DLC.
Mario wins again baby.

Speak for yourself you fucking faggot, I've always loved overworld exploration in Zelda. This time they actually did it right.

It's not hard to be better than
>generic open world game BUT with Zelda name attached to it
Mario is at least diffrent than another open world full of nothing cause muh atmosphere

>BOTW fucked up.

By making that last thing you hate totally optional? What?

Whilst sacrificing everything else.

Yes but unlike Korok seeds every moon is meant to be found

You could easily oversimplify most any game into a general list of activities, so you're not making a very strong point. Here's a more constructive idea: How would you prevent Mario Odyssey from "getting old"?

>dude the exploration is optional
>just fite ganon straight away :^)
Not an argument. The "exploration" is 95% of that game's content.

lel no. Even fucking Joseph Anderson believes Zelda is superior

yeah but you don't need to find all of it unless you want the trophy or are really bad at video games

>You could easily oversimplify most any game into a general list of activities

That's not a general list of activities though, that's a very specific list of activities that are copypasted throughout every Kingdom. I didn't even list some of the worst ones.

>Here's a more constructive idea: How would you prevent Mario Odyssey from "getting old"?

Simple: I would make it so that there isn't a whopping 800+ Moons. The problem with having that many of one collectible is that it's inevitably going to result in a loss of varied content.

Something closer to 120 ala Mario 64 is a much more fitting number.

This.
The dungeons and music are trash. The only good thing about the characters is Zelda's tight ass.
Exploring loses its charm after so many hours. It's not like a traditional RPG where you can learn new skills purely by exploring. Breath of the Wild exploration comes down to hopping from shrine to shrine, and looking for more shrines from the towers.

You're right and it sold way more too

that diaperfag?

LMAO MOONS ARE SO REPETITIVE
MARIO BTFO

>the shrines are rep-
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The first LoZ was open world and had pretty lackluster dungeons by Zelda standards, and it got by just fine.

it's still shit

It had dungeons.

There's like 20 repetitive shrines. Not even close to the amount of repetitive moons.

Top kek.

well when you put it that way it really makes you think

Yeah, short dungeons where you're just moving from room to room without doing anything more engaging than fighting a few enemies at a time. That's not much different than the Divine Beasts where you're just solving one puzzle at a time.

I'm not saying either game had the best dungeons but they were about the same in quality.

People only hate games with a lot of content because they're autistic and feel like they have to complete everything 100% to experience it. Stop being a literal mentally challenged sperg and you'll enjoy things more.

and BOTW had divine beasts and shrines

This user gets it.

BotW elevates an entire genre and is making developers rethink game design across the board, not just open world games.

Mario Odyssey is simply a very, very great game.

Both are 10/10 though.

This game is stupidly short

>unironically using an NES game that was the first of its kind in the world as a shield to defend BOTW's shitty dungeons

Yeah they were trash. Couldn't even use a different color which even the NES game managed to do.

>Something closer to 120 ala Mario 64 is a much more fitting number.
You know you only need 150 moons to finish the game?

Lifelong Nintendo fan here, I own every major Nintendo console and handheld. I thought BotW was a boring piece of shit. Odyssey was a pretty average game, but at least it was better than BotW.
I don't know how much longer I'll be able to call myself a Nintendo fan because nu-Nintendo has disappointed me time and time again over the past decade, although it hasn't gotten to the point where I've flat out stopped buying their games yet.

imagine being this paranoid

Christ you're so transparently assblasted.

How does BOTW refresh game design and open world games?
I think you've been drinking too much game journalist kool-aid.

>revolutionized the open world genre
That's like saying that someone revolutionized the act of taking a shit. I mean, I guess that's theoretically possible, but it's not something I would be proud of.

>not an argument
Pathetic.

N-NO MARKERS

>t. first open world was Skyrim

Based chipmunk

>You know you only need 150 moons to finish the game?

You know Moons are so easy to come across that you can get 150 in no time at all? That's my whole point.

Flushing toilets were pretty dope at the time.

>Yeah they were trash.

No they weren't

>You know Moons are so easy to come across that you can get 150 in no time at all?
It takes around the same amount of time to beat Odyssey as it does every other 3D Mario.

ironic

Yes they were. If you're honestly saying the divine beasts weren't incredibly disappointing, I can't believe anything you say.
Even the hardest shills admit they were, at the very least, samey and small.

>Lifelong Nintendo fan here, I own every major Nintendo console and handheld.

I also own every Sega and Sony console apart from the Vita.

I can quite confidently say that BotW and SMO are two of best games I've played in years. These are the types of game which only come around once a decade or so. Nintendo got called into question. And they absolutely blew all the nay-sayers completely out of the fucking water.

nope

Both great games but hardly comparable.

BotW is still got me just wandering around hyrule for hours just...doing stuff. The vistas and the discoveries are still the reward for playing to me. Faggots who need a constant “congratulations on pressing start” reward can fuck off back to their autism.

>doesn't respond to my argument
>call him out
>lol not an argument either :^)
Are you underage?

Well, that's your opinion, but I disagree.

>Even the hardest shills admit they were, at the very least, samey and small.
Speak for yourself

>>unironically using an NES game that was the first of its kind in the world as a shield to defend BOTW's shitty dungeons

Okay, so you're being pretty unreasonable and needlessly hostile for no reason. I never said that BotW didn't have lackluster dungeons. I'm saying that its design philosophy wasn't all that much different from LoZ's, despite LoZ being a more linear game.

>Something closer to 120 ala Mario 64 is a much more fitting number.
I know where you're trying to go for this, but you are completely wrong in saying 120 is a more fitting number. A heavy majority of the 120 stars in 64 exist as a reward for reaching a certain part of an area, or defeating a boss. These are rewards for reaching an objective. Mario Odyssey is structured around finding things, as a means of exploring the sand box, and most of its moons reflect that. FIND the Seed, FIND the place to throw cappy, FIND the purple coins hidden in these crawlspaces. You can't just cut out 600 of these moons, because essentially, there'd be no reason to explore most of the map or do most of anything beyond story related moons and challenge levels.

Then just don't get the easy moons and only go for pipes/doors? You can just follow the main objectives and you'll usually have enough to move on.

Okay explain how they were good dungeons.

since when is

>Yeah they were trash.

an argument?

Because your argument is the argument of a stupid moronic child.

I had fun doing them and figuring them out and the quest line leading up to each of them and they successfully fulfilled their intended purpose of throwing you around the world.

Yes they took inspiration from LoZ, but they went too far with it.
The challenging dungeons were completely scrapped in favor of mini puzzles that turn into a chore after the first 60. Even the overworld puzzles in LoZ were more engaging.

I want disappointed by the beasts, fuck you. Each shrine was a mini dungeon and the beasts were a longer more intricate extension. Short when compared to “traditional” dungeons, sure but long in their own comparable context. Hyrule castle was all sorts of epic too

OBSESSED.

Not an argument.

>cherrypicking
Nobody can explain how they were well designed. All arguments boil down to "well I had fun".

>It takes around the same amount of time to beat Odyssey as it does every other 3D Mario.

Except we were comparing the "120" and "150" numbers, despite 120 being a completionist value for Mario 64 and 150 just being the bare minimum for Odyssey.

It takes almost 25 hours to get all 120 Stars in 64. It takes almost 12 hours to collect 150 Moons in Odyssey.

Both are decent games. My only fuckin gripe was the shitty controls and camera angles in Odyssey. There were some points where I wanted to throw the console out the window.

>they were long and complex compared to the single-puzzle mini shrines
wew
Yes they were.

When's the update coming out?

>Even the overworld puzzles in LoZ were more engaging.
This kind of absolute nonsense is why nobody takes BotW shitters seriously. The need to hate the game is so feverish that they end up making complete idiots of themselves.

>Even the overworld puzzles in LoZ were more engaging.

Yeah, now you're definitely talking out of your ass and just being deliberately obtuse. Burning shrubs and bombing rocks was the extent of overworld puzzles in LoZ, which BotW already has plus so much more.

That's totally cool. I respect everyone's right to their opinion and I understand that anyone can like or dislike any sort of game, without needing to resort to paranoid conspiracies that anyone who doesn't like BotW is "anti-Nintendo".

They ARE well designed, just short. No one can convince you to retroactively change your mind on your own opinion. But, equally, “I liked them” is s suitable response. The best you can do is “fair enough” and leave it at that

>unironically defending the "dungeons"
Stop going off scrpit guys. We're supposed to say dungeon content was brought into the overworld for a revolutionary style of open world gaming.

>burning shrubs and bombing rocks
Actually play the game you're talking about please.

The controls were great though. Only thing that didn't work for me were the motion controls. I could never spin my hat around with the wagglin' method, even putting the joycons in the controller didn't help matters.

I do have to say that the music in BotW is dull. The one theme that plays when one of those big guardian fuckers is shooting lasers at you is kind of catchy, but it's more of just a tune that plays and not an actual song. That's about it.

The simple piano shit is just plain annoying. The worst one is the theme that plays when you update your map from a tower and it drops that blue liquid onto your slate. Just that basic piano tune cover of the chest opening theme from past games. It's fucking ass and it makes me angry for some reason.

That's pretty much my only big gripe with the game so far.

>Mario Odyssey is structured around finding things, as a means of exploring the sand box, and most of its moons reflect that.

So then what's the problem with Korok Seeds?

>Nobody can explain how they were well designed. All arguments boil down to "well I had fun".

You're a dumbass shitter who understands nothing about game design. The shrines in BotW offer a break from the overworld. They offer a different style of playing. The challenge the player's 3D spatial awareness, their understanding of the game's mechanics, their problem solving abilities and their creative lateral thinking - all the while subtly teaching them more of how the games various interconnected systems work.

You don't get it. And I don't want you to get it. I want to stay bewilder and confused as BotW drowns in an avalanche of praise and awards.

BOTW proved that giving you all the tools to explore every square inch of the map at the start is a bad idea.

The very first game still did it best. You can go almost anywhere you want, but you still need to beat the dungeons to get the items to reach certain areas.

>Then just don't get the easy moons and only go for pipes/doors?

What if you run into a Moon out of nowhere or just interact with something that mildly catches your attention only to obtain a Moon out of it? Why should I have to go out of my way to ignore damn near everything in the game just to get to the few good challenges it has to offer?

Well you don't have to ignore them, if you're already right there then just grab it.

I think they were both good and had their highs and lows although BOTW lets you shield surf, launch rocks in the air while riding them, ride a motorcycle, glide off high peaks all that variety just in movement. Mario doesn't have that inventiveness to me in the goal of finding moons

They're well designed in the sense that you can pick up the game and accomplish something of meaning in just a short amount of time which compliments the Switch's portability quite nicely

Which leads into the problem I was talking about before, where I'm doing incredibly dull/brainless activities to get the game's chief collectible.

I'm not saying that Odyssey is a bad game, but I seriously don't understand why its fanbase acts like it's devoid of actual game design issues like this or that it's so much better than BotW. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

>BOTW proved that giving you all the tools to explore every square inch of the map at the start is a bad idea.

Nah it was liberating. That practice of artificial roadblocks is so antiquated. I'm glad thats dead.

>muh praise and awards
I'm just going to ignore that for your sake.

>break from the overworld
Yes, after the boner wears off, BOTW boils down to hopping from shrine to shrine across the overworld. You could also say the overworld offers a break from the shrines. They basically wiggle a toy in your face until you get bored, then they wiggle another toy, and then back again.

>challenge the player's 3D spatial awareness, their understanding of the game's mechanics, their problem solving abilities and their creative lateral thinking
kek
Come on dude the puzzles aren't that fucking amazing. They make the most of the game's physics engine, but don't pretend they border on the level of creative thinking of actual puzzle games. Half of the time you just find a way to bullshit the physics, and the rest of the time the puzzles are simple and linear, or you're fighting an enemy.

Hyrule Castle was the only good part of the map

Proved to whom? It’s a refreshing change of design philosophy that let me explore 90% of the world right off the bat.

What harm does finding random moons do? The game is suddenly ruined? Fuck sake .

>artificial roadblocks
It's called game design lad.
I don't know if you enjoy metroid, but those games wouldn't be fun if you were given every weapon and ability at the start.

Not him, but you're definitely starting to sound like you just have a hate boner for the game because your arguments are honestly not that compelling at this point.

Seriously, "they wiggle a toy in front of your face"? What the fuck is that supposed to mean and how does that analogy make any sense?

>refreshing
You know open world was a meme back in like 2014 right? Do you play anything except Nintendo?

They’re just little mini puzzles to test you. They don’t necessarily have to be hard just entertaining.

Do you struggle this hard with accepting people’s different opinions/experiences day-to-day in the real world too?

There are also far less shines than there are moons, so by default there are going to be more repetitive moons.

See: I'm not saying it's "ruined", I just don't think it's this flawless masterpiece that Odyssey's fanbase makes it out to be. Not even close.

Your opinion is worthless mate. Cry some more and see if BotW suddenly stops being one of the greatest games of all time.

I love how shitters continually fixate one thing and bash it into the ground with the most broken fucked-up logic possible while still ignoring the larger picture that the overall gaming experience of BotW is peerless.

See you at the GDC Awards next month. Isn't it funny how we already know who is going to win?

Then just put less moons into the game? Make them require more interesting challenges? For fuck's sake.

It's almost like that's how the game is designed and not all games are designed the same way

The shrines would be boring by themselves. The overworld would be boring by itself. They space them out at regular intervals so you don't get bored of either.

Even a dungeon of 10 shrines put together would be boring. Keeping the same aesthetic design for every shrine and also including the same design in the beasts was a terrible idea.

And, for me, BotW has refined open world to be fun again in the purest sense. Harnessing the spirit of exploration perfectly. sorry you didn’t enjoy it, user.

>What if you run into a Moon out of nowhere or just interact with something that mildly catches your attention only to obtain a Moon out of it?
When did this happen? It felt like most moons made you go out of your way to get them besides a couple that are few and far between.

>It's called game design lad.

Its antiquated game design lad. Nintendo have transcended that and left rival developers in their dust. Its no secret.

>muh game awards
Pathetic.

BOTW didn't invent the open world.

You need to learn to prefix things with “I think” or “in my opinion”. Makes you sound less of a faggot who has no problem announcing to the world he’s a prick

its literally just an ubisoft open world but hey lets revolutionize everything by simply not telling the player where anything is.

Hardly a novel concept when games like gothic or morrowind did it so long ago

Not an argument.

how can you like this shit lmfao look at it its not even cohesive

No one says they did. They did, however, refine it to perfection for their purpose: exploration.

>BOTW didn't invent the open world.
I never said that they did. But Nintendo schooled the entire industry on game design and set a new high benchmark for 3D open world games - on their very FIRST attempt.

>Come on dude the puzzles aren't that fucking amazing.

They're generally way better than most of the puzzles in previous Zelda games though, so within the context of the series itself it's a pretty vast improvement.

I never played a Mario before and playing through Odyssey, it was fun while it lasted but I haven't brought myself to go back to it. Pretty boring desu

>still can't explain how or why
But they won awards right?

>antiquated

kill yourself

Im so sick of these sandbox games where everything is optional and there is no narrative progression.

A shitter.

>defending the divine beasts
Next we'll have people defending the story, or even the voice acting.

I know it wasn’t, it was a statement. And an observation that you have a prediction for penis.

What do I have to argue? I loved BotW. Had a great time. Am STILL gushing a great time wandering around finding Korocs.

explain to me why that is wrong without ad hominems

This is the supreme platformer. What a wonderful game. You can buy it on Walmart for under 60 US dollars.

People have been defending the Divine Beasts (and the story) since the game came out. What rock have you been living under?

Personally I think both of those aspects reflect something new and interesting for Zelda, but they're definitely not better than what came before.

>still can't explain how or why
I've explaing for a year now. And shitters always stomp their feet in denial.

See, its very easy to OBJECTIVELY explain WHY BotW is a masterpiece of Game design.

All that shitters have is SUBJECTIVE personal opinion. Because its so easy to deflect.

Explain why what? If you can’t see why people love BotW’s world and how you explore it then how’s anyone going to “explain” it to you? At best I can offer my commiserations you didn’t enjoy the game as much as the thousands of others who did.

>Do you play anything except Nintendo?
That's how most Nin-toddlers are.

I think the opposite, but I value and respect your opinion.

Zelda has bigger peaks but also bigger flaws.
Mario is consistently solid.
Xenoblade is the best.

You know they will, their fanboysim knows no bounds.

It was a decent open world game that got rid of markers like the games 15 years ago did.
It sacrificed narrative, music and handcrafted progression in a pursuit of pure freedom.
Some players loved this. Thats it.

>its very easy to OBJECTIVELY explain WHY BotW is a masterpiece of Game design
>doesn't

At least the other two games don't have the MC saying the same lines of dialog constantly

Do you want me to? Why? You don't want to hear it. Just stay mad instead.

>objectively

this is how you know you are talking with a zealot

>sacrificed music

Man, I’m so glad I’m not you

Here I'll do it:
>Give the player the option to explore
>Reward them
>Make movement fun
Done

while i agree that BOTW 'revolutionized' the open world game genre. Odyssey is better.
im a massive Zelda fan. got a switch just for zelda and played the fuck out of it beating it 2 full times and playing it a 3rd for some reason. but Mario is just a better game. both are amazing but mario is just better.

>yah wahoo yippee
>hyah hraaah hyup graaah

>The problem with Korok seeds is they were tied to braindead copy paste puzzles

Hot take alert:

The only "bad" Korok Seeds were the ones that just required you to lift a rock placed in an obscure manner, which wasn't actually all that bad because it still encouraged the player to be on the look out for oddly placed objects and made them interactable.

The other types of Korok Seed puzzles were all used or placed differently depending on the puzzle, so it's not as repetitive as people are making it out to be. For example, there's a "complete the rock circle" puzzle that has you chop down a tree and walk across the swamp. There's a "throw the rock in the goal" puzzle that has you walking across a difficult-to-see sandbar. The "glide/run/shielf-surf" puzzles are all used differently, as far the arrow-shooting ones.

>It takes almost 25 hours to get all 120 Stars in 64. It takes almost 12 hours to collect 150 Moons in Odyssey.
Then you might as well compare the 250 mark where you reach the dark side of the moon in Odyssey. That's almost the exact same timeframe as 120 moons in 64. Either way it makes no sense to compare 800 moons which takes like 2-3x as long.

>hurr it's the same but it's different

amazing insight

>still doesn't

Sounds like Mario 64.
Revolutionary at the time, I agree.

No I'm just honestly embarrassed by the amount of stupid kiddies who don't understand Game Design. I even hate how smug that makes me sound when thats not my intention at all. Perhaps I'm just too old for here. Maybe I should just go a let the tweens throw shit around.

Grunts=/=cheesy one liners

Even people who liked it agree on this. The soundtrack for SS and TP was superior.

Korok Seeds aren't particularly well hidden and are even less of a reward because the game isn't built around them as an objective, they're built as something to do while on your way to something else. I did every mission I think in the game, which naturally took me all over the map, and I generally found most of my Korok Seeds not because I was looking for them, but because they were in places I would have gone to anyways, or would have seen while looking for something more important. Of course I'm going to climb the highest point in the area to get a vantage point, and sure enough, there's a stray rock sitting at the top. Of course I'm going to look at the ground when gliding in case I find something, and sure enough, there's a circle of rocks with a rock missing. Of course I'm going to travel the dirt road at some point, and would you look at that, a pinwheel on a stump that sounds like the rattling of maracas.

People love to meme about how Mario's just ground-pounding on shiny spots, and throwing cappy at poles, but a good bulk of what you find isn't on a direct path to the more important Multi-Moons. You find your moons, because you choose to find your moons, not because the game lured you into finding them.

This is what makes finding moons more satisfying than finding Korok Seeds. What uniquely makes Korok Seeds so UNsatisfying to find however is because of the following.
1. Rewards for Korok Seeds end several hundred seeds early. You at least continue to get costumes, and things here and there in Odyssey.
2. There is ZERO indicators for where Korok Seeds are. They may be simple, and easy to find, but backtracking 0XX/900 seeds is a shitshow, especially with so little motivation.
3. The only way to effectively backtrack is with paid DLC (the Korok Mask).
4. The pool of activities that yield Korok Seeds are very limited, and very predictable, far more so than Odyssey.
and
5. There is nothing important attached to Korok Seeds.

What’s important here is BotW doesn’t reward the player with anything specific rather hopes that they will find instrinsic reward in the simple act of exploration and discovery. I think that’s the best thing about BotW. I think it’s a litmus test for the autistic generation who genuinely expect a pat on the back for putting their shoes on the right feet.

It's a minimalistic sound design that complete the exploration of the world and calmness of the game

You could be talking about assassins creed origins with that definition, who I might add, did climbing better than zelda.

>Sounds like Mario 64.
You don't know shit about Mario 64 either or why it was revolutionary. Just stop.

Not him, but BotW shitposters play the "objectively" card just as often. It's all the same shit. Everyone's flinging poop.

>more non-arguments

I know right? Hardly a revolutionary concept when it's been done before so long ago.

Only kids find this revolutionary.

I don't know why people act like every moon is just sitting around, every single challenge pipe/door has 2 moons which automatically causes them to make up a majority of the moons.

They aren’t comparable you monkey. BotW is mostly ambience with a few key pieces to let you know something is happening. It’s a score, not a soundtrack.

I don’t think odyssey and Zelda are comparable games come to think of it, making a large part of this thread pretty redundant.

When all players will take from the game is their subjective experience, your objective game design means nothing.
At best you are left with a school of game design vs another and playerbases who like one or the other.

Then find me an open world game that just lets you explore 99% of it with minimal interference from the outset and doesn’t reward the player with anything other than their own self imposed achievements?

>muh 3D platforming and camera
No shit sherlock.
Did you even play that game as a kid? I spent what felt like ages exploring the front garden. Inside I didn't even know what the paintings were but I still had a blast moving around. Side jumps were my favorite.

Heres some pasta I cooked up months ago. Never gets refuted because shitters simply can't, they will try though:

The reason BotW gets such praise is because of it's Game Design. It's a completely open world where you literally can "climb that mountain". You are not bound by the traditional shackles of open world environments - you are free to do anything, go anywhere, even right to the end of the game if you want. There are no barriers, no invisible tunnels to funnel you through the world, no cheap progression deadends, no fences blocking your path. BotW lets you climb right over the fence.

In other open world games, getting from one place to the next involves nothing more than pointing your character in the correct direction your minimap and pushing UP on the joypad as you move along a flat trajectory. In BotW, verticality adds depth and makes exploration FUN and ENGAGING. Getting from one place to the next involves - get this - PLAYING A FUCKING GAME.

Then consider the sheer wealth of options available to you as you explore and how these options are integrated organically into the gameplay meaning that YOU decide how to fashion your own solutions to problems presented to you. It doesn't feel binary like other games. 10 months on and people are STILL finding new ways to accomplish stuff.

Then on top of all this player agency, you have intricate interconnected systems of environment, weather, climate and physics which inform the player and encourage them to adapt to the world around them. Its not a sterile world.

This is just the base foundation of the game. There's an entire world of questing and adventure built on top of this. There's too much to mention.

Haters will scoff but they can't argue against it. Because there IS NO arguing against it.

And to consider that Nintendo coded this on a Wii U - A FUCKING WII U, literally 12 year old tech - is absolutely astonishing.

Search steam for
>open world
>survival
>early access

Sure it is, but its boring to listen to it on its own, unlike those other soundtracks. I get why they did it, that doesnt change the fact its boring and this is coming from somebody who listens to ambient music daily while working.

Agreed. I sunk about 7 or so hours into BOTW before I gave up on it
Too much open, empty land to justify the long ass distance to different villages, especially in early game

How many did you find? They're optional goals that reward someone for being observant. There's some that obvious like moons but there's still hidden bags you need to hit, under rocks in obscure places. It's nice to find the completely optional seed because you found it, it's not the goal

>just says BOTW doesn't reward the player
Oh what a tangled web we weave.

>Korok Seeds aren't particularly well hidden

The vast majority of Moons are even less hidden. Kicking rocks, following dogs, wearing costumes, ground-pounding glowing spots, ground-pounding rumbling spots, throwing your hat at glowing spots, stacking Goombas, climbing trees, swimming to an obvious alcoves, jumping to an obvious alcove, collecting notes, getting Moons blatantly out in the open, breaking a glowing box, and speaking to Toadette for 20+ handout Moons is NOT what I'd consider satisfying content. And you're lying to yourself if you think it's any more engaging than finding Korok Seeds which AT LEAST have you solving miniature puzzles or completing minigames *most* of the time, with the exception of those (admittedly shitty) rock lifting ones.

Honestly, when Odyssey fans try so hard to pry apart Korok Seeds and Moons it really kinda feels like mental gymnastics since they involve and encourage the same things at their core. The only difference is that I genuinely do find Korok Seed puzzles more engaging about 80% of the time.

I might hate the game but Im not throwing that word around. Its the fastest way to lose an argument. All we could hope to do here is fling shit at other people for having a different subjective opinion than we do.

I might say that the open world game design murdered the narrative of the game but to somebody else who barely cares about narrative and loved the open world aspect its gonna be a non issue.

I know reading is hard, champ, but give it another go.

Name three games remotely comparable to BotW. An entire world to freely explore and only one objective from the post tutorial.

Do the words “other than” confuse you? Basic reading comprehension is pretty important even on an image board.

You didn't search.
Also BOTW gives you two objectives after the plateau.

>doesn’t reward the player with anything other than their own self imposed achievements?

Except this is bullshit, Zelda rewards the player with meaningless junk like Breakable weapons and boring shrines or seeds.

Shadow of the colossus might be a better example of your definition.

In any case, play any of the gothic games, play morrowind, hell play no mans sky if you just want to explore empty land purely for your own self imposed achievements.

Other than self-imposed achievements, right.
So you just said the korok seeds and shrines are not rewarding.

Even I know that's wrong.
>the absolute state of BOTWfags.

Exactly, this is definitely what I was thinking. In the beginning, exploring in BotW was an absolute joy for me, seeing new things, finding new items, etc. But as time went on, it started becoming more and more dull as I would end up getting the same old shit that has 1 use. I ended up only doing the main quests at the end, just trying to finish the game as soon as possible so I don't have to deal with any more bullshit. That's the main reason I don't like the game. It's good, but it gets so boring.

>It's a completely open world where you literally can "climb that mountain". You are not bound by the traditional shackles of open world environments - you are free to do anything, go anywhere, even right to the end of the game if you want. There are no barriers, no invisible tunnels to funnel you through the world, no cheap progression deadends, no fences blocking your path. BotW lets you climb right over the fence.

I hear this and dont even want to touch the game, its everything I hate in videogames.

>inb4 someone defends the ganon fight

I think you're looking for the wrong things user. It's about the journey and not the fucking collectibles

What's wrong with Calamity Ganon? Sure the final phase was piss-easy but that was just a setpiece moment to conclude the game.

Which game has enemy scaling?
That's the bad one.

>I hear this and dont even want to touch the game, its everything I hate in videogames.

>What's wrong with Calamity Ganon?
Just curious, do you see any flaws in BOTW?

>But as time went on, it started becoming more and more dull

As you play a game more and uncover more of its content, it's going to feel less and less exciting because you are completing all of its content. This is not a particularly compelling observation.

Mario was engaging until the credits because it puts you in new environments.

BOTW and ODYSSEY were both made for first time players since they expect the switch to be the new wii and therefore had to dumb down those games and make them as accessible as possible and leave a nugget at the end for a more serious player who wants a bit of challenge and sometimes sell dlc to try to make it harder

They both have issues but i think botw's issues are much more apparent.
They're rather upfront about how you shouldn't care about story or combat though, so at least they don't jerk you around.
Still both good games though.

This
Ignoring weak ass ganon and dues ex machina bow it was the only good area

A lot of amazing, innovative, and ambitious titles came out this year, but there is something to be said abut polishing a concept to perfection. I can safely say that Odyssey has the most mechanically satisfying movement of any 3D action game. That alone is worth accolades, but the fact that the rest of the game is so charming and fun to explore makes it my GOTY

Yes? The enemy variety needed work. Divine Beasts were *okay* but maybe traditional dungeons would have been better. Combat Shrines were hot garbage.

Again though, what's wrong with Calamity Ganon?

Cred Forums is full of shitposters and contrarians, and genuine people with genuine complaints . It's natural.

I 100% Odyssey. I didn't find every single one on my own, using Talkatoo when I seemed to be out of ideas, and Hint Toad a couple of times when I was genuinely stumped, but I found most on my own, and had a great time doing it. Though I'll admit, I wish there were less seeds, and sheep herding should be gone period.

Did you read anything past the first sentence user? Of course you didn't, so here's a TL;DR. You find Moons or rather,
a majority, because I know you'll be a pedantic fuck and "uh, actually" me if I don't add thisbecause you choose to find moons. You find Korok Seeds because they're there on the way to places you're going. It's less like "finding" and more like, being "rewarded for continuing" unless you're absolutely mental and care more about collecting Korok Seeds than doing anything else.

>muh journey
I think tumblr sounds much more up your valley

It was the only good "dungeon" that's for sure, but the map itself wasn't that bad.

Odyssey wasn't nearly as engaging for reasons most people have pointed out in this very thread.

Yep

nigga the world is not even interesting to explore, its some cartoony land with garbage non-lore for kids.
There is absolutely no mystery to it, you know what exploring will get you, seeds, shrines and breakable weapons. Thats the whole game.

I dont need to see whats on the other side of that mountain because within 8 hours you have seen everything the game has to offer in terms of things you can find. Its the most repetitive thing ever.

I would rather explore the world of shadow of the colossus, empty as it is or even souls games because there is mystery there that is lacking completely in botw.

I would explore botw more for the sake of taking in the vistas if I didnt have to run around half an hour to get anywhere.

That's because you weren't given all of them at once. They're built differently and designed differently, one is a cohesive open world and the other one is like a bunch of different sections

I like linear structures and progression and narratives.
Games like souls, bloodborne, silent hill etc.

One Year on and Cred Forums still can't get over BotW.

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

WHEN'S
THE
UPDATE!?

this guy gets it. It's all been done before. look, it's a great game. no denying that. revolutionary.......nah

botw would have been a lot more engaging if they didn't get rid of 99% of the story. I get they were going for non-linearity and open world, and while they've done that better than the yearly ubi sandbox it hardly feels like a zelda game as a result.
The lost woods and hyrule castle were probably when I was most "engaged" in the game because the narratives of the four areas are barely existant and mediocre. They sort of tried with Sidon/Zora since that's most likely going to be the first one people play but afterwards it's a nosedive in quality.
I'm also still upset about how shitty the master sword was.

You forgot about finding some better taste

>You find Moons because you choose to find moons. You find Korok Seeds because they're there on the way to places you're going.

No, I read that part, and I somewhat agree with it so I didn't address it. I don't think that's an issue though and I don't think it's enough to pry the two collectibles apart when they both involve exploration for neat little rewards. You *can* go out of your way to search for Korok Seeds and there's nothing particularly wrong with that because they're often fun little challenges to interact with on the map.

Different user
>Oh boy, more rupees!
>Oh boy, more useless ore!
>Oh boy, another fucking korok puzzle!
>Oh boy, useless weapon that's gonna break after 3 encounters with enemies!

BoTW was good and all, but come on, it had some design problems. I'm talking like issues that make open world games subpar. There isn't enough interesting shit to remotely justify all the padding they put in that game.

For some reason, all these fanboys and shills claim BoTW is revolutionary, but Darksiders 1&2 have a better combination of puzzle focused dungeons and combat.

Imagine still being so anally wrecked about BotW that you redirect to another one of Nintendo's games which are by the way and not excluding open world, two different genres.

What's so revolutionary about Super Mario World?

I can jump on platforms and bounce on enemy's heads in Bubsy The Bobcat!
I can ride dragons in Golden Axe!
I can fly in R-Type!

Whats so great about Super Mario World?

As said by another user awhile back...

Cred Forums has been a salt mine ever since this game was released. This isn't about BotW being a 10/10 game or whatever. It runs deeper than that.

This is all about the humiliation this board suffered at the hands of Nintendo. After nearly a year-long hate campaign of shitposting, cherry-picking screenshots and flat out spreading lies, Cred Forums attempted everything in its power to belittle the game and Nintendo's new console.

They actually thought the Switch would fail. They thought it would be DOA. They thought BotW would be a colossal disaster. This was it. It was the end for Nintendo. They would be forced to go 3rd party. You could see the Cred Forums masses rubbing their hands with glee in anticipation.

You could audibly hear their jaws drop in absolute fucking horror when BotW turned out to be one of the best games of all time, single-handedly turned the Switch into a massive overnight success and proved once again that Nintendo was at the cutting edge of game design.

Mario Odyssey was just as critically appraised but the saltiness from that game cuts nowhere near as deep into Cred Forums's psyche like BotW.

They'll never get over it and that's why they've spent the past TEN FUCKING MONTHS trying to rationalize the whole affair in their minds.

I laughed at this too.

Cred Forums is now so desperate that they're shilling another Nintendo game as the 'Zelda Killer' lmao.

Odyssey was good, but the real meat of the game is literally over in an easy 5 hours, leaving the vast majority of content in the endgame which while much more challenging, has all the spectacle of 3D World. I was expecting the campaign to be at the very least four times as long as it was.

>MUH WEAPON DURATION

WUHWUHWUHWUHWUHUUUUWAAAAAAAH

That's what you sound like.

This.

Although its almost a full year now. They'll never get over it.

BotW's issues are more "apparent" than Odyssey's, but only because BotW involves a lot more than Odyssey so nitpicky players are going to notice more problems.

Odyssey's design flaws are honestly bigger than many of BotW's design flaws combined though, so BotW wins.

He's boring.
His design is an amalgamation of tech parts we've seen before, his arena is boring, he has no personality. A force of nature can be a good villain, but then they talk about his evil plans and schemes and it's just bullshit. What a terrible villain. Like who gives a shit about calamity ganon. Windwaker Ganondorf is pure kino, and is the opposite in many ways to calamity Ganon.

Also if you're talking about the fight itself, most of his moves were ripped from guardians, which is boring just like his design. And the last stage is a cutscene where you point the thingy at the weak spot.

>He doesn't know that the blood moon resets all weapons as well as monsters

The fuck am I reading? Beating the game is literally HALF the game. The whole game opens up after that.

>revolutionary means great and vice versa
Lay off the kool-aid lad. SWM isn't revolutionary.

>One of the main gameplay mechanics of the game is bad
>People complain about it
gee you wonder why
i loved the game but I knew from the getgo that I would loathe the weapon duration so I just avoided combat for almost the entire game until I could just obliterate everything
not to mention that the combat itself is pretty boring

>padding
>in a game that lets you fight the final boss at any point post tutorial

>Odyssey was good, but the real meat of the game is literally over in an easy 5 hours,
If you're a speedrunner maybe.
You know you don't HAVE to go to a new world as soon as you have enough stars right?

The postgame in Odyssey is fucking trash, don't delude yourself. Only the moon pipes were any good.

That's the fucking problem. All the amazing set pieces that make up the vast majority of content in 3d Mario games has been condensed into a glorified tutorial, and the rest of the game is blue coins on steroids.

wow the nintendo trolling has broken nintenbros logical circuits

Its autism bro. There's fucking weapons EVERYFUCKING where. Weapons are just ammo in BotW. Use them. And move on. There's no comfort zone. You always have to adapt.

>The postgame in Odyssey is fucking trash
A shitter.

Cloud, Ruined, Bowser's, and Moon Kingdoms say otherwise.

No, just someone who can admit that Odyssey has serious problems.

I cant quite figure out the buzzword soup, they love to claim this and that but never give examples of how.

BOTW DICK RIDERS, what the fuck is so good about this game and i will go buy it on my wiiu

Base combat yeah, but part of the fun in the game is fucking around with the combat though

The only thing with serious problems is YOU.

>I need rewarded for taking 10 steps in any direction

Yep, BotW definitely isn’t for everyone

a game where you have no "standard" attack and everything uses a resource is inherently bad
you can mitigate that, sure, but it's still bad

odyssey has some problems but "postgame is bad" is just flat out wrong

>they love to claim this and that but never give examples of how.

Why should we care what you do? Go get some real friends.

>Game forces you to do the Great Plateau before you can face Ganon

That's easily like an hour wasted.

Agreed. Odyssey has the same core problem Sunshine has, it was rushed to meet the launch of a new console. With Sunshine it was recycling everything. With Odyssey it's literally throwing 90% of content into the 'postgame'.

Mario, at its core, is much simpler than Zelda ever was so I don't understand why people try to compare them all the time. Zelda games are always going to feel more "flawed" because they incorporate more aspects and systems than mainline bing bings.

>inherently bad
In your world.

I like going into enemy encounters without any weapons and seeing how I can pull it off with what’s available. It’s still fun as fuck.

It sure looks like it and that kind of makes me sad. Used to be that the Zelda games were better than the Mario games.

>You *can* go out of your way to search for Korok Seeds and there's nothing particularly wrong with that
See, that's the thing though. Despite my previous comment, I don't mind Korok Seeds. I never found myself particularly surprised or engaged when I found one, but I never reached a point where I chose to ignore them either. The problem however, is that I'm never going to 100% BoTW because I don't want to backtrack them. I like BoTW but not enough to buy the DLC, so I essentially have a solid chunk of seeds scattered across this massive map, with no clear way of finding them, and no reward tied to them aside from the "baka gaijins don't get this joke" golden poop. Odyssey has a check mark system. It has a map that I can look at and see where to go to find X amount of moons, it has hints and markers if you want to scrub it up, but BoTW has none of that, and I don't find Korok seeds "fun" enough to scour the entire map multiple times over for. The most fun I had with Korok hunting was speedrunning from one location to another, which became trivial when I started investing in stamina, and shooting targets which I think was the rarest out of all of the Korok seeds to find, so I don't really see a motive to continue. I'm not even sure how many I have left unless I'm dumb and they do mark how many you've collected, so I won't even know when I'm finished.

youtu.be/RoAW2W4NeG4

I agree with you. I'm playing Breath of the Wild, and it's honestly one of the most boring games I've played in years. Champions Ballad made it somewhat exciting, though. It made the combat less shit.

>but "postgame is bad" is just flat out wrong

No, it's pretty bad. Most of the Moons that open up after you hit those extraterrestrial cubes end up being the same mundane shit you did before and OCCASIONALLY a moon pipe challenge, i.e. the only good postgame content.

>Cloud, Ruined, Bowser's, and Moon Kingdoms say otherwise.
I'm pretty sure there were a few stars on cloud/ruined even before you break the moon blocks, and I know for a fact that you're wrong for bowser and moon.

Actually I was wrong, I forgot bombs for a second. Combat would have actually been a lot worse without them.

i hated Oddessy desu

>less hand holding is consider revolutionary now
Jesus Christ, this is the kind of shit that makes me believe BotW fans just started playing video games these past few years. You guys can't even remember how the original Zelda was structured for fuck's sake.

The DLC is pretty good though, best boss fight/really fun puzzles/highlights of each area/trial of the sword (eventide island on steroids)/dress up/master cycle master mode is trash through

>Most of the Moons that open up after you hit those extraterrestrial cubes end up being the same mundane shit you did before
I don't remember how many post-moon moons are just out in the open but that's a flaw in the game itself, not just its postgame.
One of the things that actually upsets me about odyssey is that there are actually like 2k moons or something. 880 is fine and then you buy the other 119, which is also fine I think, but it annoyed my autism that there wasn't a limited stock of moons. Like 110 or however many it is after you take 1 off of each world.

I hated ur mums pussy but I still fucked her last night faggot.

I guess I can agree with you that in completionist terms, Korok Seeds are way more of a bitch to collect ALL 100% of than Moons, so I'll admit that that's one advantage Moons have over Koroks.

Unfortunately, going for 100% completion in either game isn't particularly fun to me.

It's ""revolutionary"" if it hasn't been done in about 30 years, yea

I think my opinion falls in the middle of Arlo's and Joseph Anderson.

Arlo sucks the games dick to no end and he's blinded himself to it's obvious flaws while Joseph Anderson methodically played the whole game and it's obvious it burned him out on it, but his criticism is EXTREMELY valid. It's shocking how small some of the worlds are. The lake and ice kingdom should have been completely scrapped and redone. Too many moons rely on challenge rooms and the extra moons basically replaced stars, blue coins, and red coins all together.

The game is something I managed to get my hands on. I had spent many hours going into overtime at work to make sure I could preorder Super Mario Odyssey. I am really happy I made the extra effort to get the game, as it was worth every extra shift.

The moons don't appear until you go to the next kingdom and return though. And you are wrong about Bowser and Moon kingdoms, Cappy will literally prevent you from leaving those areas or moving on to where you want because of story progression.

When you warp it tells you how many under shrines. It's out of 900.

>I legitimately think retarded amounts of artificial padding is okay
You're right. BoTW isn't for everyone.

I might consider it at some point down the line, but at the moment, I wanna save my money in anticipation for future games, plus I'm a poorfag, and blew most of my money buying the Switch in the first place

>Cappy will literally prevent you from leaving those areas or moving on to where you want because of story progression.
The question was "does the game force you to the next world when you get enough stars", which unless I severely misremember, does not happen in either bowser or moon.

desperate

I do really wish that they cut some of the worlds and/or just had consistent world size. It's a pretty big bummer that the first "real" world is so tiny.

This game is so good I would just pick it up before they run out. It's really the best game on the market right now and it's impossible to go wrong. You should buy a copy.

Oh shit. I must've forgotten about that. It's been a couple of months since I've played the game.
I'm sorry to hear that user, but I can respect your opinion.

I don’t think you understand the terms you use. How is it artificial padding? You chose to collect them. There’s zero reason to 100% BotW.

>>>The intellectual Breath of the Wild
>Exploration
>Traversal
>Combat
>Puzzles

>>>The brainlet Odyssey
>Jumping
>Hat tossing

Odyssey is fun but BotW is the more complex game

I have the game, and it was pretty great, I just don't have the DLC. Certain parts seemed good, but the DLC isn't something too tempting at the moment.

It really is. And has way more content, enjoyable mechanics and no fucking durability system on the way.

Plus, countless boss and enemy types.

I honestly don't understand why even call Breath of the Wild a masterpiece. I respect the devs for trying something new with ToZ, but to me it doesn't feel as good as the other 3D Zelda games I've played. There's no real sense of progression, the combat is shitty, the open world is too big for its own good, and the story is lame as hell.

dlc just gives more of the good parts of the game (shrines and exploring)
if I had gotten the game on launch and thought it was gonna be some big content with the heroes though I would have been pretty disappointed, which is why I think so many people rag on it

also the boss and the motor cycle are cool

Agreed. My only problem with it is that there are too many braindead moons mixed in with what I would call the "normal" moons, but that's still just pretty trivial. It'd only really matter to someone trying to 100% the game on their first run.

Yeah the Metro kingdom should've been the standard instead of what was probably seen as the crown jewel of the game.

The lake and beach kingdoms could've been combined into one kingdom, and it would've been really fun to go between the two areas. The ice kingdom was shockingly boring outside the little village area. The should've made the outside area a super small iceberg with 3-5 moons total and the rest of the world a super massive expansion on the village part. Put in a large market area to explore, a gymnasium for the bounding athletes etc.

Also it's kills me that Ruined Kingdom didn't get a full level, it would've been amazing.

>missed the point this hard

Yeah, you SHOULD stick to the traditional Zelda games, mate. Better for everyone.

>Also it's kills me that Ruined Kingdom didn't get a full level, it would've been amazing.
I saw the cutscene and stopped playing because I had to go help someone with something and was real excited to play the world.
I was extremely disappointed to find it was cloud kingdom 2: wasted potential boogaloo.

>>missed the point this hard

Then explain it to me. I think you're right that I prefer traditional Zelda games over BoTW.

subtle

It was way too experimental to be packed into one retail game. Maybe a DLC-driven thing? That could have worked way better, with the main "game" for $20 and subsequent updates for $40-60 in total.

Even the $20 DLC is lackluster which is inexcusable. They had enough dev time to give it a decent coating of enjoyable content but decided to stick with more fetch quests and copy-pasted environments and challenges.

What should have been done as DLC?

BoTW never revolutionized anything

non-linear, open world games has existed since the 90s