SYSTEM SHOCK REMAKE DEAD IN THE WATER

>In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube. In June of 2016 we launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the vision into a reality. It was tremendously successful with over 21,000 backers contributing over $1.3 million to the campaign. We put together a development team and began working on the game. But along the way something happened.

>Maybe we were too successful. Maybe we lost our focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game. We shifted engines from Unity to Unreal, a choice that we don’t regret and one that has worked out for us. With the switch we began envisioning doing more, but straying from the core concepts of the original title.

>As our concept grew and as our team changed, so did the scope of what we were doing and with that the budget for the game. As the budget grew, we began a long series of conversations with potential publishing partners. The more that we worked on the game, the more that we wanted to do, and the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great.

>Ultimately the responsibility for the decisions rests with me. As the CEO and founder of Nightdive Studios, a company that was built on the restoration of the System Shock franchise, I let things get out of control. I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons, that I was totally committed to making a great game, but it has become clear to me that we took the wrong path, that we turned our backs on the very people who made this possible, our Kickstarter backers.

>I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

OH NO NO NO NO

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/hfcp1aZ6AOAdQjXnC6ZStg/
boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/5Bjx4MKPo0PtaekUVaLj9A/
boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/n5V63FkbfJ58RlYxD4eRFQ/
yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/
chroniclesofelyria.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well, it'll still probably come out sooner than Routine.

In other words, they took the money and ran, because that's what most kickstarter game companies do. Good job adding a shitty meme to a real story, hope you're proud of yourself.

user why do you keep posting the same thread over and over? Are you trying to force the next ebin meem?

>Say that project is under full development
>Stop it to reinvision the direction of the game

What a load of bullshit. They could come up with a much better lie.

step down from the fucking company then, its obvious you have no idea how to run one
these fuckers won't though, they'll beg people for more money because they got a taste for the greed, and they'll run out of fucking money again, and yes I mad.

So why is that exactly hard to believe? If they were under 'full development' for the re-imagining version instead of the remake and then realize how hard you're fucking up that would make sense

>Cred Forums a board for video games
>filled with people who are happy when bad things happen to video games

that's the first fucking rule of game development, have what you want to do laid out, you don't just change an engine mid development and keep redesigning a new game every time you don't think its perfect enough as an goddamn indie dev.
who the fuck is happy about this?

OP. And why did you bump the thread?

>who the fuck is happy about this?

The guy who's posted about eight of these threads in the last 24 hours

Never will back a KS after Mighty 9.

>they were on track for what they promised
>for some reason fire the old art staff, hired expensive photobash artists and "visual visionaires"
>reboot the project with the new staff and expand it vastly
>immediately run out of money
WHY

OP who wants LE EBIN TORTANIC XD yet again. We already thoroughly hashed this shit out days ago. Developers were fucking retards but that's it, and it's a real bummer because the original demo looked great.

>Never will back a KS after Mighty 9.
So it's an entire funding concept's fault you're retarded and funded the literal ideas guy who hasn't been responsible for helming an actual game in forever?

well at least we got Prey

also fuck the retards who put money into shit like this, never pay for an game that isn't finished, there's a reason no publisher put money into this cesspool, they recognize a team of hacks when they see one.

No, he may just be admitting he's kind of a retard. 100% serious talk user, there's nothing wrong with that, we all have weaknesses and not everybody can be good at that sort of thing or even has the time for it even if they're plenty smart. Nothing wrong with saying
>"yeah I just don't have the time or experience to investigate whether a given campaign is legit, so I'm not going to spend money on it, I'll support if if it comes out and is good though."
We all have our weak areas. Crowd sourcing has produced some really great stuff, even in vidya, that would not have happened otherwise. But it's plenty hit or miss too, and good stuff needs sales after release also. Waiting for it to come out, get decent reviews, and buying like a normal game is fine.

>never pay for an game that isn't finished
>(publishers) recognize a team of hacks when they see one.
Right cause FTL, Grim Dawn, Darkest Dungeon, Shovel Knight and Divinity: OS1 + 2 are all shit

What a shame. It looked pretty good. Hopefully they end up finishing it. I would love to play the game that inspired Bioshock.

That’s 99% of what Kickstarter is. I mean people were hyping Bloodstained right after MN9. Backing ANYTHING regardless of the guy(s) begins it is a gamble and the real retardation comes in when people treat these projects like unfloppable announcements.

Why don’t you just play SS then, you retard. It’s a unique dungeon crawler that aged really well.

Are you constantly making this thread because you want other people to get mad over it, or because you were a backer and are legit pissed that you got scammed by a company best known for snatching up old IPs for cheap and then stealing fanmade port projects to resell as "official" releases?

How come the investors allow this? Don't they expect a product to come out of their money? Oh wait, that's right, the investors are retarded gamers who GAVE them the freaking money for free with no expectation of monetary returns. Good job you damn morons.

thanks doc

>They hired some youtube sfm faggot to work on the game's models and animations
Oh lordy lordy these fuckers couldn't even assemble an actual game dev team.

If you're conservative and good the odds are pretty decent frankly, most of what I've backed has turned out well. But I agree with you that you should only back really if it's something you just plain really, really want to see happen and you're at peace with it failing if that's what it takes to support the concept.

My personal example of that would be Planetary Annihilation: from the start I thought it was a long shot. Their basic concept video (which honestly I think they met pretty well) wasn't the SupCom successor I hoped for. What I really wanted was for PA to do kind of decently, and then serve as a jumping board to something better, but that's a real haul. But I truly love RTS and have gotten huge amounts of time out of SupCom, FA, and now FAF, and I was willing to put some money just towards showing that there WAS any money out there for it. Like, maybe some other publisher would look and think
>"RTS still can gather some real interest even if it's smaller then MOBAs and the like, maybe we could grab that whole market since it's now so dead."
So even though PA ultimately was, well, it was PA, I don't regret it, I knew 100% exactly what I was going in for and what the goal was. Often you can aim for a good goal but still fail, but that's life.

Am i retarded because i don't get this?

Is he saying that he was developing the remake of system shock but then they decided to create a new game but it didn't turn out so good and they decided to step back and develop the remake again?

You all should've seen the warning signs when their lead dev is some guy that is most famous for putting breasts and lipstick on the Scout from TF2 and making a bunch of weirdo videos centered around "her"

There would also be no consideration for a System Shock remake if it wasn't for those autist gamers.

>What a shame. It looked pretty good..
The demo did, then they did the classic blunder of throwing that out and redoing for THEIR TRUE VISION etc etc. I wouldn't hold out any hope at this point.

They could, they just got rid of them/"augmented" them afterwards. To some extent that makes it all worse then if it had just sucked from the start.

FTL is decent, Grim Dawn is shit, DD is a tedious 50 hours grind, Shovel Knight could have find a publisher and was probably not crazy expensive to produce, and the Divinity games used to have one and would have happened with a publisher and some effort.

Maybe they can release Powerslave EX now.

The dev team is really incompetent.

are you a backer Cred Forums?

Investors always expect a return. The problem is that people who fund kickstarters can’t analyze at all and then act surprised when a project fails.

Well said; I just can’t gamble for a product. It's a silly concept imo from a consumer perspective.

Literally ALL they had to do was update the graphics of the original to 2018 standards and modernise the soundtrack files. HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP? YOU HAD LITERALLY ONE JOB!

>One shitposter
>filled with people

Just play the OG SS dude, too bad you missed the sale on steam. ss1 and 2 were 4 dollars combined

>just buy SS with mods preinstalled instead of downloading the game for free and installing those mods yourself

It’s a dungeon crawler with guns. It’s a bit slow for modern gamers which is probably why they found themselves moving from their original vision. That is, of course, assuming that they’re being honest.

>One shitposter
We literally have threads like this daily for every fucking video game.

I'll give you a rundown
>Kickstarter was for a 1:1 remake of SS1
>Tech demo and playable intro to show what they were aiming for
>SS1 purists even approved it
>The fucking original devs gave it a gold seal
>Kickstarter gets funded + stretch goals, people wait for more info
>Later on...
>All that shit from before is scrapped entirely
>Dev team fired/reshuffled around with new "visionaries"
>1:1 remake of SS1 is now cancelled to make way for a new reboot of series with SS2/Bioshock inspired gameplay being the focus
>Backers have 0 say in the matter if they were privvy enough to even know this was what was going on during their period of silence
>Cut to now...
>"Just to let you know we ran out of money so we're gonna shelf the project but that doesn't mean it's cancelled or on hiatus we just need to make sure our pockets are lined with cash before officially saying that we fucked you all over so yeah, deal with it."
And that's why people are mad.

They were making a straight system shock remake but then got too much money and they kept adding in more and more stuff that was making it a new game/ system shock 3 and they managed to realized that's NOT what the backers wanted when they threw money at them

>your one job is too remaster a game
>fuck up and start thinking about making a different one
how fucking dumb do you have to be to get sidetracked like that?

>Investors always expect a return.
Not kickstarter backers

People liked Bioshock, and that was very similar and only released 11 years agi

Don't buy it them dum dum, fucking pirate it

>How come the investors allow this?
They aren't investors, they're backers.
>Don't they expect a product to come out of their money?
Yeah, but failure is part of creativity. Sometimes people just fuck up, and MOST of the time things go wrong. IRL general angel investing (I'm not in that game because my personal net assets are only around $8m and my family's fund assets are

The original is dated with poor graphics though. The remake looks better so I will wait.

kek grim dawn is better than the trash that is PoE

System Shock and Bioshock are nothing alike

Because they’re retarded. Anything that requires a little bit of research is too much for gamers, so a lot of them are pissed off and just shitpost games that they feel wasted their money.

>Promise one game
>Get $1.3 million
>Try to make a different game instead
>Decide not to make it anyway
fucking lmao

Of course it's dated. It's 23 years old, but it still holds up

They were making the System Shock remake but suddenly decided "nah fuck this" and threw everything out, including most of the staff that was working on the game. Now they're saying that they're gonna make a completely different remake in their own direction away from what was originally promised on the kickstarter, but before they start work on that they realized they don't have any fucking money anymore and have to put development on hold until either they find a publisher to dicksuck or they scrape enough money from all the stolen work they put up for sale to begin development again.

They're actually very similar, at least SS2 and Bioshock 1.

The original SS has no comparisons. It's very unique

>maybe we were too successful

boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/hfcp1aZ6AOAdQjXnC6ZStg/
boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/5Bjx4MKPo0PtaekUVaLj9A/
boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/n5V63FkbfJ58RlYxD4eRFQ/
you know you can have a discussion without reposting the template thread over and over again
you dumb redditors need to stop looking for the next tortanic

>201_
>Kickstarters
ISHYGDDT

>Grim Dawn is shit
Nah
>Shovel Knight could have find a publisher and was probably not crazy expensive to produce
Not so sure a publisher would've been down for putting down much money for a 2D pixel platformer back in 2012. The devs own estimations for total cost was about $1.4 million too

>they fell for the kickstarter scam again
OH NONONONO

Are you serious? How can you call yourself a fan of anything when you aren’t even willing to visit its roots.

There is nothing similar to SS in Bioshock with the exception of some gameplay concepts.

>Literally ALL they had to do was update the graphics of the original to 2018 standards and modernise the soundtrack files.
That's what the kickstarter was for: new 3D graphics, a more modernized control scheme, and a redone soundtrack by the original composer. Now they're saying they don't want to do any of that and plan to make their own System Shock, which not only isn't what was promised but is fucking retarded like when Gearbox made their own Duke Nukem Forever.

>1.3 million just to update graphics from a 1994 game, and update a MIDI soundtrack

>make a quick bait demo
>hit up kikestarter
>people give you money expecting X, because thats what the demo promised
>half way through development decide to make it radically different
>nobody can do a fucking thing because lol kikestarter

The comparison was SS to Bioshock, don't move goal posts.

>Well said; I just can’t gamble for a product. It's a silly concept imo from a consumer perspective.
From a consumer perspective sure. I've never suggested anyone not just wait until it's out and has reviews. Hell, that's actually IMPORTANT, if it's good then there should hopefully be a reward beyond the backers. Ideally great crowdsourced vidya succeeds wildly beyond the basic funding.

It's only really worth it if you want something beyond the product. In my case that was some small bit of $$$ towards "hey remember RTS? some of us are still here and would pay for more." I also have a few bros who backed projects from a specific guy because as kids/teens they'd pirated the shit out of their games and felt like this was a chance to "make right" a bit. They didn't even care if the project literally imploded, it was a one time thing for the fun they'd never paid for but had definitely gotten. I see no problem with that either.

But yeah people definitely shouldn't treat it like a preorder. And crowdfunding, even in terms of not being investing, is frankly still too primitive in terms of market conditions and regulations. There is poor bankruptcy practice for example, which is a key advantage of American law in normal business. That's something that could be improved but for now just has not been.

.3 million just to update graphics from a 1994 game, and update a MIDI soundtrack

Nigger Shovel Knight cost over $1.4 million to make

The enhanced edition of the original already modernised the controls by adding mouselook as a main feature. All they had to do was add mouselook, and make picking up items less awkward

These threads usually get decent discussion between the lines user

kind of similar, bioshock is much more streamlined and the level progression and layout of more linear with a series of levels with a bit of exploration in between rather than an enclosed world

I am. I love to see kickstarter projects failing hard.

>mfw I will never feel the hole in my soul that opens when a game you backed never comes out

I never claimed to be a fan of System Shock. The first game looks interesting although held back by its primitive graphics. Isn't this why they are making a remake? To update an otherwise dated game? I don't want to play a game with dated gameplay and graphics.

Fuck's sake, I was really looking forward to this

Can someone recommend a good guide on how to do a good kickstarter scam? Seems like easy money

OH NO NO NO NO

So you wouldn’t play old shit like Mega Man 2 or Castlevania 3 if a remake was announced? I would find that to be the PERFECT reason to visit a “dated” game.

It's not an remaster anymore user, if you read what the thing said you get the idea they were starting to make a system shock 3. Also there IS an enhanced ss1 already user. The kickstarter was just for pretty grafics

There's literally no point in buying the original Systen Shock now since the enhanced edition exists.

>1.3 million just to update graphics from a 1994 game, and update a MIDI soundtrack
>just to update graphics
Yes? I mean, I know if you're unemployed or making minimum wage $1 million sounds like lots of money but it's not, particularly if you're talking asset production. It'd be trivial to consume all of that in months. If anything such a low budget should promote real conservatism, like they had in the original demo.

No super cutting edge engines.
No resulting super high poly or high texture stuff.
No crazy customization or custom written effects.
No full orchestral or anything like that for music.
No fancy work environments, gotta make that budget stretch.

They needed to focus and just do what they set out. They didn't.

>14 thread

Goddamn that's even worst than I thought it was

you get both if you buy it on steam

name one (1) good kickstarter game. go ahead, I'll wait.

Good scam artists know how to get in early and get out early

You're a bad scam artist, because the time of Kickstarter scams are over

you get the dos version with EE but yeah it's a bit redundant now that EE runs without lag
the only diffference that I know of is the 6 digit reactor code isn't randomized each playthrough in EE for some reason

>Nigger Shovel Knight (((cost))) over $1.4 million to make

I will never believe that indie pixel bullshit doesn't cost more than 10 or 20 thousand to actually make in 2018.

Who gives a fuck about system shock anyway? Sound like a rip off of Bioshock.

>the only diffference that I know of is the 6 digit reactor code isn't randomized each playthrough in EE for some reason
what the fuck?
That my only gripe with replaying SS2

I know, I have the enhanced edition. The original is just useless now, like how the original Mount and Blade is surpassed in every way by Mount and Blade Warband

If you're looking for recommendations user, I gotchu
>Shovel Knight
>FTL
>Hyper Light Drifter
>Darkest Dungeon
>Grim Dawn
>Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2
>The Banner Saga
>Kentucky Route Zero
>Super Hot

Cost more than that for the soundtrack alone.

>These threads will never be deleted because you can't give reasoning in your reports any more
Welp.

>I will never believe that indie pixel bullshit doesn't cost more than 10 or 20 thousand to actually make in 2018.
yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

They break down everything in detail in the 'Cost of Devlopment' section

>report illegal activity
>reason
>advertising
cop a warning for misused report but they look at them faster

You can still give the type of rule break, Unless you're talking about a written out thing that I don't remember

Done. Come on user don't be a fag, there's been a lot of crowdsource at this point, sure most of it is shit but there will always be a few exceptions that prove the rule. FTL was decent too, and I also enjoyed Strike Suit Zero.

Honestly once you get used to it the amount of control you gain with SS's original layout is incredible. It's different but it's not bad.

>Americans in charge of money

chroniclesofelyria.com/
eventually

>t. never held a job
>FEEL THE BERN 2020

How long is it going to take for retards to realize that you're jump starting a project and not buying a product when it comes to Kickstarter? It sucks when the developers get too ambitious with their project and end up using all their resources. This shit tends to happen and now the autistic screeching System Shock fanbase are never going to back another project again. Looks like Prey is going to be the last "System Shock" style game we'll get.

someone plot the time of day vs reply count of this thread and show me the most cancerous time of day to be on Cred Forums

With all ethical constraints removed, NightDive re-examines...re-ex...re-re-re...

I re-examine my priorities, and draw new conclusions. The backer's work is finished, but mine is only just be-be-be-beginning. True to his word, Stephen Kick allows the backer level 1 kickstarter rewards. The hiatus following this cancellation will take six months to complete. Stephen Kick is deleting all files concerning these even...

>This shit tends to happen and now the autistic screeching System Shock fanbase are never going to back another project again
Eh give them a few years and probably someone will be able to whisper sweet little nothings in their ears again I lost $60 on PA but I'd still give it another go someday if a presentation was convincing enough. I still love old RTS.

Planetary Annihilation released though

>Year 202X
>Another System Shock remake attempt
>creator discusses how much they love and admire SHODAN and want to make her appear to a new generation
>creator turns out to be a complete psychopath genius
>absconds with money to a 3rd world country and uses it to create death drones and attempt a takeover
>I lose my $50 once again

>Maybe we were too successful
I guess they innovated too hard.

Yes, but it wasn't great and certainly isn't going to lead to a real SupCom update. But it did release and even if it hadn't I wouldn't consider it wasted money, I knew the odds and I'd do it again given the right offering.