Who here uses all three systems? A linux distro, OSX/macOS and Windows...

Who here uses all three systems? A linux distro, OSX/macOS and Windows? Do you use them on different computers or the same one?

Other urls found in this thread:

training.linuxfoundation.org/why-our-linux-training/training-reviews/linux-foundation-training-prepares-the-international-space-station-for-linux-migration
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IT guy here, different ones. Linux on home lappy, macbook pro and high end dell docked at work with macOS/windows, ipad at home, and windows on my gaming rig.

They all serve a mixture of functions and I have no issues with cross compatibility because im not an idiot.

Windows 7 on desktop
OSX on laptop
Ubongo trusty on Orangepi

Why would you use OSX?

Win 7 on my desktop becuase I have to
Mavericks on my MBP

Windows on a desktop/laptop
iOS on mobile devices

>He thinks there are only three OSes

Sweet, sweet summer child.

I know there's more. I'm talking about mainstream.

I only use Linux because it's the best.

i use OSX at work, linux (arch/apricity) on my laptop, and windows on my home desktop

i think OSX is the best operating system, i can do all my shit in a "unix" enviroment while having actual commercial support. but IMACS (we use these at work) are insufferable. everything about them i hate, the ports, the aspect ratio, the glare, the default keyboard/mouse are complete garbage,etc and the white gets dirty soooo fast. it actually looks like its yellowing

BSD fucking sucks, you snowflake faggot.

arch and osx on my laptop but i never boot into osx. and windows 10 on my desktop for adobe programs ableton live and counterstrike.

If you like the system, why don't you try hackintosh?

serious question, if you have a "legit" macbook (as opposed to a hackintosh), why would you ever use a linux distro instead of osx

the only one i can think of is kali linux for when you want to be a l33t hacker

KYS,lady.

arch&win8 on thinkpad, arch&xubuntu&win7 on desktop, osx on macbook pro

>Why would you use OSX?
This.

>three that people use
There, faggot.

Probably because OSX has a terrible UI and its slow and Linux has better game support.

Linux as a cheap server.
Windows 10 for everything else.
I don't see any reason to use osx.

I use hackintosh for comfy, windows for games and linux for very, very specific stuff

i use linux on my headless desktop and osx for everything else
windows is too irrelevant nowadays

Because it's the best of the three.

>windows is too irrelevant nowadays

OS X on a few desktops and a laptop
OpenBSD on a netbook and laptop
Windows on a UMPC
Linux on an SBC and a VPS

>I don't like it so it sux xDDD

It is though unless you're an office secretary.

Everyone uses Android now.

it seriously is
i havent had a need to use windows for anything in a while
the only thing i could think of is games but i dont really play games

OSX on college laptop
win10 / Server 2012 R2 on main machine (Hosting databases and applications, also Oracle APEX, SAP SYBASE)
OSX on mac mini (torrents/plex/irc/samba/backups)
Linux on raspi to dick around with.

What distro should I use for collegue, Arch or Debian?
IT related, tho.

Not him but why there has to be a reason? Aren't we people that like technology? What if he likes playing with Linux once in a while but also likes OS X?

i would go with arch

Linux isn't very important at most colleges, just pick the one that doesn't crap out on you.

It depends. How good is he with computers?

I use Windows 8.1 on my gaming PC at home, a Macbook Pro to use at university, and the family computer is running Ubuntu on an old Compaq laptop.

>2012 MBP non-retina triple-booting OSX/W7/Ubuntu on a 1TB SSD

It's more annoying than anything else, but I need Linux and W7 for my day job and OSX for my side gig fixing shitty iOS apps.

Debian is a lot more stable, the only reason for using arch is muh cutting edge technology that actually nobody needs.

OSX on laptop for work, Linux desktop work, Windows desktop for gaymen

Fuck right off chap. I use all 3 and OSX is the shittest by far

I use all three
OS X on my rMBP (2012?)
Windows for gayems on my desktop, and light browsing
Linux on my server, and it's VMs

I tend to do programming either in OS X, a linux VM locally, or running on my server. I usually have linux installed on another drive on my desktop, but only use it when a VM, or SSH doesn't cut it. So rarely. It's real comfy, but no matter what I get tearing and I'm unwilling to dump more time into it.

Yeah, no.
This user is correct. The only reason I use OSX is for iOS development. It's way too proscribed for anyone but total dolt normies.

its a 2009 model and osx runs so slow it becomes almost unusable

Tried to use OSX but it's shit. I gave it a good honest go for about a month. It's just not intuitive like Linux or Windows and far too restrictive.

>osx more restrictive than windows
lol?

OS X on computer
Windows on phone
Linux on router

It's less restrictive than Windows though.
And is more intuitive -- don't people say it's the easiest and most powerful desktop os

Windows - Desktop
OS X - Laptop
Linux - Server

The only right choice

I do. I mostly use OSX and almost never use linux. I only boot windows for games, but for some reason I get huge package loss on it so even for online games it's useless. Everything on the same machine.

>far too restrictive.
>I don't know how to turn access control off so it's shit

Windows / Linux on ThinkPad for productivity
OS X MacBook for FaceTime and Kodi

are you good? I'm having a bunch of trouble with the XCode Autolayout thing

thanks for the pretext

>XCode
Blech, fuck no. I use it for the purpose of submission only. Vim for life.

yes. windows 10 on my desktop, win7 on my x220, osx on my macbook (no fucking shit), and then linux vms on all of those plus my esxi hosts

>don't people say it's the easiest and most powerful desktop os
Normie fucktards say that because they've never used Linux and have never even heard of powershell.

ok, I just started using a mac for iOS development and figured I'd use the official ide. Turns out it's utter dog shit.
how do you do layout stuff in vim?

You would use it if you want a UNIX-like system that doesn't have any of the problems of Linux.

Search for vim + swift. There aren't any solutions out there that are great enough for me to recommend. Pick your poison.

>doesn't have any of the problems of Linux
Macfaggots actually believe this because they never do anything on their macs besides torture their friends on faceberg with catpix.

Any dev who has to use OSX on the regular who is also familiar with Linux will tell you that it has nearly all the same pitfalls as Linux, it just has a glossy exterior and isn't as easy to diagnose/fix when it breaks.

>Ancient software == stability
Lol
Debian is shit, just as everything derived from it is shit.

It's a polished UNIX with commercial application support.

Not really. Installing Linux on anything results in something not working correctly. Maybe audio won't work, usbs won't mount, weak wifi signal, etc.

Entirely false, I've used Linux on plenty of machines where literally everything worked. Hell, most of the times I've installed Linux it's worked that way.

>never do anything on their macs

>entirely false
>anecdotal evidence
>most of the time anyway
Right.

>Installing Linux on anything results in something not working correctly.
Apples and niggers man, they're two different things. Have you ever tried to hackintosh? That's what you're talking about here.

Linux runs better on all thinkpads, latitudes, and elitebooks than osx does on most macbooks. So if you're arguing there's a hardware deficiency then it's OSX that's deficient.

Talk a walk kiddo.

Anecdotal evidence is sufficient in this situation. You said installing Linux on _anything_ means something won't work right. If I have even one example, anecdotal or not, that says otherwise it proves you wrong.

All the actual work is done on RHEL desktops, try again dipshit.

>b-b-but that's not REAL work
Nice try, autist.

OSX runs perfectly on Apple hardware.
Linux works as a mediocre desktop on a lot of hardware.

>NASA made a facebook post about a launch
I'm sure that's just as important as calculating actual launch parameters.

>le ebin Facebook machine maymay
Let me know when you're done grasping at straws.

Apple runs fine on Macs. Linux runs fine on Business Class Laptops and Intel desktops. Lots more hardware compatible with the latter. Try again Schlomo.

All on my rMBP 15". Windows 10 and mint in windows parallels (patrician tier)

Apple is a company, it does not run on any type of computer. I believe you're thinking of OS X.

>staws
Big giant stations full of them, in low earth orbit.

training.linuxfoundation.org/why-our-linux-training/training-reviews/linux-foundation-training-prepares-the-international-space-station-for-linux-migration

get a load of the cuck with the dell E series in the back-right

Yes, I'm sure you're totally telling the truth and that whatever Debuntu distribution you use doesn't suffer from the same bugs that have been around for 5 years now.

>waaaaaaah all these people are probably just browsing Facebook and stuff you stupid poopy head

>Linux doesn't have the best hardware support therefore anyone who's had a good experience on it is a liar
user, you're retarded.

>Linux bugs don't exist. The desktops are entirely stable and usable. :^)

>whole spacestation runs Linux
Macs r gud2 tho

Yeah, so they put Linux to work for the one task it is good for: doing one thing over and over. There are too many hands in desktop Linux OSs to make them useful. Everything is some half finished project that will be abandoned with the next release.

>has no rebuttal
>resorts to putting words in my mouth
I'll take that as a win.

NASA couldn't run the space station on OS X if they wanted to, OS X's EULA specifically forbids such things.

Yes, whole space stations that totally require a full desktop experience. Oh wait, computers on space stations only do a few simple tasks over and over. Perfect for Linux.

Never used Mac or Windows actually. I've used UNIX systems all my life.

-Much of the BSD family.
-Oracle Solaris
-SystemV
-HP UX
-Debian Woody
-Fedora Core
-RHEL
And many many more
Currently on Ubuntu because why not?

The most i've seen of Windows is 3.1 and 2000 on other PCs. Never executed a single command or read documentation for anything Windows or mac.

No he's thinking of MacOS

No he's thinking of OS X.

Why would he think of Old versions of MacOS?

The current version is named OS X, moron. 10.12 isn't out yet and fuck what Apple says it's still OS X.

>fuck what Apple says it's still OS X.
No need for tantrums manbaby.

Had a windows 7 desktop and upgraded to W10, hated it so much I bought a Macbook Retina 12" which I have enjoyed very much. MacOS takes getting used to but it is very clean and responsive.

I also have a libreboot X60 laptop running Parabola which was my attempt to be a freetard that completely failed.

>ooh he used big boy words, clearly it's a tantrum
Eat a dick

I have a Windows Desktop for gaming. I also use it for VMWare Pro and have like 15 Linux/Unix/Windows OSs installed. I have three laptops: Windows 10, Kali, and OS X.

I do programming with GLIB and it helps to check if all supported OSs will compile my changes.

Same here. Dad was an engineer. We had Unix in the house. We both run FreeBSD today. :^)

I use all three regularly because i'm a low level tech working up to sysadmin, but I prefer to use Ubuntu at home. I had a macbook once, but I started having the urge to suck cock while using it so I had to give it up.

Debian server/MacBook pro/windows desktop... its the only way.

I've got an ssh server running ubuntu server, and a laptop running osx

I've been thinking about grabbing another computer and putting windows on it to one day play a game, but I've been too busy lately and haven't seen a worthwhile game in ages

what, exactly, is osx restricting you from doing?

>I had a macbook once, but I started having the urge to suck cock while using it so I had to give it up.
Can confirm. Using a mac made me gay af.

For Webbrowsing and not much more. It's soooo buggy it's incredible

> Apple
Not at the moment. I sold my iPad because I was only using it as a second monitor. I'm going to be building out two ESXi hosts running OSX for some group policy testing next week. 16 or so total VM's.

> Windows
Desktops and most servers. AD, Exchange, Lync, 3CX, etc.

> Linux
Network stuff. Untangle for the gateways, Debian for LAMP stuff and media server, embedded custom build for switches and AP's Mint + chntpw for un-fucking Windows local passwords and Debian uEFI Grub issues.

Thank you for your service based Pajeet.

If you really want to thank me, you'll find a fire and go die in it...

I primarily use OSX but I also have a windows box for gaming and game dev. I run linux in a VM, on my NAS, and also on my raspberry pi's.

Windows 10 on home PC and workstation at the office.

OSX on early 2015 MBP.

Ubuntu 16.04 on home server.

Debian flavoured Proxmox on my own production server with 5x Ubuntu 14.04 containers.

Kali on my thinkpad.

OSX on MBP,

Win7 on parallels for a couple of applications I need it for, and just cuz.

centOS VPS web server

OSX wins.

Different machines:
· GNU/Linux on my netbook and phone for personal computing
· OSX on a MacBook Pro for work (graphic design, video and photo editing, programming)
· Windows on my living room PC for >muh games and Kodi

I'll probably install Linux on the living room PC too and set a Windows VM up for GPU passthrough, though.

I know the "pajeet" thing is satire and all, but it stopped being funny a while ago. Now it's just racist. You can stop already.

I use mainly use Windows 7 or 8.1 because of Windows spesific programs and few games. (Windows 10 never again).

The only reason I use OS X is because I don't feel like "upgrading" my old photoshop to a new version and it happens to be a mac version.

I also dual boot the Windows 7 machine to some linux distro. Keep changing it just for fun.

I use Linux almost exclusively, i do have one crappy old laptop with Win-7 on it, but i dont let Windows have access to the internet because i dont trust it, and i dont want microsoft screwing with it, so i never configure the wifi in it, i use windows for one purpose only and that is SDR software defined radios because Linux sucks in the SDR department = CubicSDR sucks and crashes a lot, and GQRX is almost as bad, hamlib with grig front end works but it is limited in how many radios it supports and limited in functionality but at least hamlib & grig works good and does not crash :)

never owned an apple product in my entire life and never will either,

>2017-1
>thinking BSD is ever going to be used by anyone

>MMXVI
>thinking BSD isn't used by anyone

bash > powershell
less buggy than windows in my experience

Windows 8.1 on my private laptop and gaming rig, Win7 on other machines.
Sparkylinux on my gf's PC, and some random branch on my NAS
OS X 1.9.5 on my studio Mac Pro

bash sucks tbfam h

zsh is bretty based though, and actually better than powershell

OS X has a lot of options.
Lincucks blown de fug oud

Respond with "you're welcome shart," to trigger the mericans. Don't lose the banter war by default.

Been using BSD for years. It's p good. Lincucks are getting btfo by systemDick so more devs are coming our way too.