Why does windows start to slow down after a month or so of use but Linux always stays snappy?

Why does windows start to slow down after a month or so of use but Linux always stays snappy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReFS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

registry, bloated startup, shitty management, etc

Because you're still using Windows 95?

>Why does windows start to slow down after a month or so

It doesn't. You're just not as good at computers as you think and thrive better in a locked down kids sandbox with repositories where your stupidity can't harm you as easily.

My Lubuntu 16.04 in VM actually slowed down sginificantly. Boot time went down more then 10x, despite it being fresh installed in spring, very little programs installed and just running updates. Even the time I spent in it and the number of boots was fairly small.

It's just you. Maybe you shouldn't be using computers?

>windows start to slow down after a month or so of use
What the fuck are you doing with your computer, famalam?

>Linux always stays snappy
That depends. Maybe if you use a minimalistic user interface, but surely not if you use full-blown GNOME or KDE.

I've been running the same Win10 install since Win10 day 1.
Biggest Windows bottleneck is hdd performance. Get a ssd and you're golden

that issue is gone with windows 10
also install only verified softwares and youre good

Triggered?

0.01 cent has been deposited into your account pajeet, now go do some shilling on reddit and hacker news.

Not an argument.

You guys say that every release.

I know the "pajeet" thing is satire and all, but it stopped being funny a while ago. Now it's just racist. You can stop already.

>registry
wrong

>bloated startup
not windows specific

>shitty management
too vague

>etc
go on

Go away faggot

10/10

Was it a Windows host?

Fragmented hard drive
Junk files everywhere
Background services everywhere
Registry full of shit

These things probably don't slow it down much, so there must be more to it, but I agree with OP. Windows slows down a lot after a while.

thats objectively wrong on Ubuntu 16.04. Thx again journald and great Ubuntu® configuration. Not a problem on Debian tho.

Ubuntu guys fucked up configs mate. Also apt-daily may fuck your boot up. See systemd-analyze blame and turn off things you dont use (there will be alot of them)

>snappy
>those long-ass animations

it's not satire. you pajeets do poo in the streets. you make me sick

you can turn them off with a single gsettings pasta if that triggers you. Also speed em up i believe.

Got a laptop with win 10 last year. Experience has been shit, many bugs, but it hasnt really slowed down all that much. Boot up at the beginning took 6 or 7 seconds to get to the log in screen, and another 2 or 3 seconds after i put in my password to get to the desktop. Coming up on a year later, it takes 8-9 seconds at most (usually closer to 7 or 8) to get to login, and desktop after that is still at 2 or 3 seconds.

>inb4 $0.01 has been deposited into my account

To be honest I normally think the average Cred Forums user is at least somewhat knowledgeable about computers but then I read posts like this and wonder who the hell wrote it.

>Fragmented hard drive
Sure, but less of a problem since defrag takes place automatically and has since like Windows XP or something.

>Junk files
How would this slow down a computer? This is the kind of superstition I expect from somebody's grandfather.
>b-b-buh son you saved too many text files now my computer is slow
No.

>Background services everywhere
Same as *nix. Seriously.

>Registry full of shit
The registry is just a config database. Having config settings here won't slow down your computer anymore than having config settings in *nix will. More superstitious bullshit dude.

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone describe GNU as “a locked down kids sandbox” in a comparison to Windows. Agreed that the way Windows handles 3rd party software installation and updates (basically doesn't) is insane and the debuggability of the system is zero, though.

Yeah but you're probably using an SSD. On an HDD a 30% loss in performance is really noticeable.

>Sure, but less of a problem since defrag takes place automatically
Which causes a performance loss

>How would this slow down a computer?

SVChost sometimes decides to scan a large directory and it takes forever. That's why windows can be slow to start sometimes.

>The registry is just a config database. Having config settings here won't slow down your computer anymore than having config settings in *nix will. More superstitious bullshit dude.

The default settings are put that way to optimize windows, and it can very easily become un-optimized.

probably early you had a shittone of updates and after they installed you have normal boot times.
Also hybrid hybernation does its thing. SSD speed things up too if you have it. My Debian install gets ~8 sec boot times on an 7200rpm HDD, while windows 10 loads 1 minute at least.

Junk files don't slow down your computer, I just threw that in there because it sucks. I forgot that defragging was automatic. (Even so: automatic defragging in the background. That's sure to use up the some resources right?) Also, it's not the same number of services. Everything running in the background that's not vital to the system is something I explicitly installed and asked to be running. Right now I have 800MB RAM in use, more than half of which is firefox. Maybe in the heavy DE's like KDE or whatever there would be more shit going on, but I wouldn't really know. I also know what the registry is.

The only situation I can think of where the registry being full of shit would slow it down is looking up values. Wouldn't it be made the tiniest, most minuscule amount slower? Plus, having a full hard drive means that it's reading stuff from closer to the center of the disk, which makes like a 0.000001% difference to read speed probably.

Remember that time, not that long ago, when I said
> These things probably don't slow it down much

Did you see that? Because that was quite important. You seem to be very, very knowledgeable about this subject, so perhaps you'd consider mentioning why the fuck does windows slow down so much?

Updates.

After a clean install it boots a lot faster to me. Then I update it and it becomes slow. I don't update it anymore after a clean install and I use Win just for some games.

I don't have this problem, OP.

what system monitor is that user?

Because complaining about racism on Cred Forums is going to get you somewhere. Remind us why you even come here?

Because you are retarded?

It was, but the speed of host didn't go down (there weren't really any big changes in installed program/usage either. Not even Vbox was updated).

Try booting it with no splash to see what's happening. My guess is some systemd service fails and waits.

Automatic defrag is scheduled for specific downtime hours, it is not a constant process. I hope that you're just being obtuse here and don't actually believe that. Defragmentation itself is rarely even a problem these days because NTFS buffers all files written to a drive and extfs* randomly writes files to a drive, and on top of that seek speeds are snappy these days. If your computer is slow, your bottleneck is not fragmentation.

>very easily become un-optimized.
That's the case for any OS that acknowledges user configs.

>I can think of where the registry being full of shit would slow it down is looking up values. Wouldn't it be made the tiniest, most minuscule amount slower?
Nowhere near slower than the equivalent slowdown you would get on *nix, because the registry is an actual database with strongly-typed data and binary read/write, not a file hierarchy containing plaintext files.

>Because that was quite important.
They're really not. If your computer is slowing down, none of these issues are going to be the bottleneck.

>why the fuck does windows slow down so much?
Because people don't take advantage of proper settings and configuration available to them. You disable services and programs on startup that you don't use, you tell the WM that you don't want snazzy animation effects, you make sure not to install the bundled Always-On-Auto-Updated 9000(tm) option, uninstall disable and uninstall crapware that came with any laptop, etc. It's probably more of a community problem than a technical one. Even the people who do these things on *nix just won't do it on Windows and often either didn't know they could or just refuse to.

That's GNOME builder, it's an IDE

aww shit you are right, I'm an idiot.

>5.02 Ghz 8 cores
>Windows 10 on SSD
>been running like this for 2 years
>still boots in 6ish seconds
I don't even care that this NSA is spying on me I have nothing to hide.

I'm using Gnome and it's definitely snappier than Windows. Most of all, it's not slow after a month of normal use.

You've got to admit that it's a dead horse meme at this point. It's "arrow to the knee" tier at this point.

Why is it wrong?

Because people on Windows do work and it fucks up the OS after a while, people on lincucks only shitpost smug anime girls and rice their desktops all day

Not him, but see:

Auto defrag is scheduled for never on Linux because my filesystem isn't complete trash that needs is oil changed every month.

>what are servers
>what is web development
>what is php

I mean, just because there are fucking retards using Windows to program on PHP, it doesn't mean its meant for it.

If linux is so great why don't people use it, even when its free and niggers exist

>india is a race
HUGH MUNGUS WHAT

>Why does windows start to slow down after a month or so of use

because you're using windows 98?

This is false, Windows is still slow and bloated after this

>implying most linux users don't have "Do Not Track" feature enabled

>Pajeet is an Indian name

Oh boy, are you cucks in for a shock when you realise it's a traditional name from Bali.

Literally the only person on Facebook, named "pajeet" is a poltard with a profile named "Pajeet pooinloo"

Because niggers are too dumb to use Computers, never mind Linux.

I haven't had this problem in years. Then again I only use an ssd and I don't go installing bongo buddy and all that bloated shit.

sorry, that meem is dead

>what is minGW
>what is VS Code
>what is nuGet

lol

hot damn, that's some sexy application OP

Computer Scientists use it.

That doesn't mean it's good.

>Being this triggered

>extfs* randomly writes files to a drive
windows doesn't use extfs

>specific downtime hours
It can't do it when my computer is off, it doesn't turn itself on in the middle of the night, and I'm always using my computer when it's on. Given these three things, there are no downtime hours.

>Because that was quite important.

I meant important to the comment you dense cunt. 'none of these issues are going to be the bottleneck' is EXACTLY what I said to you in the first comment.

> the whole last paragraph
Still doesn't make a difference. Or at least, it's still slow afterwards. Do you think these things never occurred to me? It's still 10,000 times slower than *nix.

And stop calling it *nix. Firstly, it's the exact same number of characters as 'unix,' so I don't know what the fuck is the point in that abbreviation, and secondly, it's not even unix. It's linux, or 'GNU/Linux,' for meme purposes.

You're acting like you're entitled for proofs or long explanations. I don't want to argue with you though, you'll have to deal with it.

>Maybe you shouldn't be using computers?
2016, year of people discovering personal computer is a meme?

>Samefagging this hard

I brought up extfs* because it IS relevant, because we're specifically comparing Windows to *nix.

>and I'm always using my computer when it's on.
Sorry, I forgot that the "average computer user" was the sort that seriously believed computers need to be turned off regularly otherwise they'll explode or something. I just use sleep/hybrid-sleep/hibernate and tell my computer to update and do maintenance before I go to bed. I do the same thing on *nix. As already mentioned, fragmentation is a non-issue in the first place until you hit 90%+ disk usage, at which point fragmentation is not your primary concern.

>It's still 10,000 times slower than *nix.
And if it's slowed down since installation, it's 100% because of something you did. Operating systems don't just magically slow down over time, they slow down because users don't maintain them properly. Use at least your basic profiling tools.

>stop calling it *nix
*nix can be short for UNIX, Linux, the kernel, or GNU/Linux, the operating system. People use it to avoid the exact kind of pedantic argument you're trying to make about it. It's a non-issue regardless of how argumentative you're feeling.

Where is the contradiction here?

He doesn't care about you though.

Kys my man.

I'm not computers-knowledgeable but I use Arch everyday and it doesn't slow down. I would feel it, I have a stock T420 ThinkPad with 4GB of RAM.

>Windows slows down because of something you did
I used Windows for years and I don't know what could possibly slow it down. That's Microsoft's responsibility to either make a children-proof OS or to make their users responsible of what they're doing.

I don't know if Windows goes that much slower for me, but it certainly runs much hotter. Not totally sure why but it is troublesome for my shitty laptop.

It's because it's windows. The code is never reviewed by good programmers. Interns write most of it.

Technology is actualy magic and requires a sacrifice to tge new gods. Consoles need a dead child to succed. How good software is proportional to tears, suicidal thoughs and obesity of the programmers. Microsoft is the best company in the world, employing Happy Slim Programmers™. They're so good that lack of sacrifice is unnoticeable for a year of use.

VS is better

>You disable services and programs on startup that you don't use
the first thing anyone should do if they ever get their hands on a pre-built is open up services and msconfig and kill all unnecessary crap

In both Linux & Windows, the performance of the OS over time is primarily determined by how you use it.

[citation needed]

Holy fuck that's ugly as sin.

>ugly
>64gb installed
>sometimes copy/paste stops working until you restart it

No it fucking sucks. Enjoy looking like a retard and being made fun of behind your back. Also enjoy being a virgin.

I bet you don't even know how to develop without using VS as a crutch.

That means you're dumb. Faggot.

lol ok kids

because you suck at windows

Better package management, smaller market share.

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

>GNU

It's GNU/Linux, or just plain Linux

ntfs vs ext4? I have no idea but I guess that wouldn't matter if you used an ssd. and windows never slowed down noticeably for me after a month so...

It's actually embarrassing that Apple would pay for this kind of advertising.

Works on My Machine (TM)

But seriously, I don't have this problem.

>Not using dark theme

It's easy for useless things to not degrade over time, due to a lack of use.

Actually this one cannot be monetized because of the use of vulgar language. And possibly an implied sex joke.

>Things that only happen to poor people for 3.50, Alex.

I've never had this problem. Stop letting your mom install dozens of toolbar bloatware you dumb NEET.

linux is just a kernel and has nothing to do with the common usage of package managers on GNU/linux. The sexy unix like filehierarchy also comes from gnU. if filthy hippie rms hadn't started gnu, linux would have no relevance at all.
the real gnuos horde would have had a better architecture then g/l but it bloomed to late and people were to slow and unwise to help develop it.

>If linux is so great why don't people use it, even when its free and niggers exist
Because you can't steal it if it's free.

indian shilling is usually a tactic used by "loser"
apple for example
or amd
loser in the means of marketshare, mind you
windows still dominates, and they would not spend their money to shill vs linux on a linux mostly autism Cred Forums board
I doubt that they even know about Cred Forums

>total market share
What a great argument!

>scientist market share
>that doesnt mean its good!!!

>use windows
>have to reinstall it every 12months because it gets slow as shit even on ssds

Why would you even use Windows in 2016? You arent a degenerate manchild goymer are you?

you poor faggot, how about *unknown* part? even if you add it to linux (which would be too generous) it would be millennium behind

who the fuck cares? it's an established meme, so gtfo

Same reason why people don't use Windows Phones. No software.
Companies don't develop software for it because there are not many users and there aren't many users since the software they use isn't available on this platform.
Even a large company can't force the tides on its own.

Looks like someone isn't intelligent enough to handle a winderps installation
keked

if they even dev aside from shitposting they probably dev for windows clients :)
>white people are faggots!
>oh didn't see you there massa, you want your shoes shined massa?

haha great point

pro race drivers on a track use spiked tires, and tweaked transmission and what have you

does not mean we all should buy race cars, and start using aviation grade fuel

I haven't reinstalled since I got my ssd.

>only install updates
>it`s your fault that windows is shit

lmao at your lyfe fucko

But it would be great if the race cars were free

those round borders make me suicidal

this

Since apparently it's impossible to criticize something you like, let me give this clear disclamer first:
I like Linux. I use Linux everyday. I'm writing this very post on Linux.
With that out of the way....
All 4 cores maxed out just to animate tab switching? Seriously?

Updates make it slower for me. I almost never update, except for one Windows 7 run i did and oh boy, it took over 3 minutes to boot and even more to shut down.

But i heard that there are some updates that improve your performance, so if you care more about speed than performance, then go for them

>0.01 of a cent

Oh shit you poor

It doesn't.

malware

It's called NTFS

you're right, literally any unix-like os shouldn't have the problems that plague windows

>free software
>locked down
I'm not a freetard but I have to interject here with how buttfuckingly retarded you are

>I have to fuck with Windows for hours to get it to not shit itself up
>it's a good OS guise

wow I thought VS hate was a joke. no wonder people hate it with that UI

>firefox with 6 tabs
>text editor
>task manager
>poor mode gui
>still 1.5gb used
>its great guys!!!

Has microsoft actually done any work on or tried to implement a new fs in windows?

this shit has to be a paid post

>those pride arrow pygmies in the background of the super white finns
please tell me this is some sort of video editing by Cred Forums

>Has microsoft actually done any work on or tried to implement a new fs in windows?
They have but it's for server only if i'm not mistaken

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReFS

>>firefox with 6 tabs
>>text editor
>>task manager
>>poor mode gui
>>still 1.5gb used
>>its great guys!!!

What happened to the "free ram is wasted ram" that every linux fag says?

My Windows installs run about the same from installation to whenever I scrap the computer.

My computer is also turned on from when I install windows until I scrap it though. Which seems to average around 5-6 years.

I think it's because of the "Superfetch" service. Although i dislike it and i always disable it from my windows partition

>its great guys!!!
Never said that. But consider my situation: I have a laptop from 2010 with a Core2Duo and 4GB RAM. Win7 was installed early 2013 (+ I have more than 200 system updates installed). I run the newest Firefox. The CPU load is 10% (that's mostly the youtube video).
Calling this 'slowing down' seems a little exaggerated to me. It runs fluidly and boots in

>bloated startup
le system d fais

To be fair, Cred Forums doesn't consider anything a "real OS" if it doesn't require fucking with for several hours minimum to get working, see: anybody's favorite GNU/Linux distros here.