Following advice from Cred Forums I just deleted OSX and installed Linux Mint

Following advice from Cred Forums I just deleted OSX and installed Linux Mint

It is good so far but I... sort of was expecting a challenge, Linux Mint is too easy. I feel like I've mastered this part of Linux already. So I'm going to move onto a more challenging distro now

which one is harder Arch or Gentoo

>Following advice from Cred Forums

But you didn't install gentoo

Arch but it's not really hard either. It just takes work to build.

>listening to Cred Forums
Enjoy the downgrade.

>mastered linux by installing mint
kek

no I agree with Cred Forums on this I no longer feel like I'm a cog in a massive botnet and the fans don't make as much noise

Both, Arch and gentoo are not hard if you can follow instructions.

Mint is pure shit, the way they package that distro is horrid. But it's still just another distro with the same underlying utilities as any other. If you want to learn more about linux just learn what it's doing under the hood

>fans don't make as much noise
I'm sorry but no matter how shill you are there's no way you think you need an operating system for that

It's not just for the fans, but that's a nice plus

Install Arch and try to learn about what you are doing when you go through all the steps in the wiki.

Get more comfortable with the command line.

I get annoyed with Gentoo just because I like to try out different programs and get sick of waiting for things to compile. If you have a known setup that you like to work with, then it's a more feasible option.

Well mint is meant to be a replacement for Windows, so you won't really need to know anything about Linux or the cli to use it.
Personally, I think antergos is the best possible distro.
It's pretty mich preinstalled arch, so you can play around with arch without really having to worry about breaking too many things.

>there are people on g who recommended Linux mint
What the fuck?

>Linux Mint is too easy. I feel like I've mastered this part of Linux already
And this is why we recommend Mint to newbies.

yeah, I was actually looking at the antergos website before

I just wonder if I'm going to have access to as many apps over there or if it will detect my hardware

You'll be fine with antergos.
The reason I really like it is because it can be used by noobs and experienced users alike.
I actually did go from mint straight to antergos and pretty much everything I've learned has been while using antergos.
If you decide to go with it just make sure to get the AUR as well, since the official arch repos don't always have everything.

Do you know bash scripting yet? Basic string formatting? Vi ? Is this just GUI ? If you read anything you'd know GUI in Linux is neglected at best. Its command line life fegit and if you don't realize that then maybe you should go back to sheepintosh

Word

>installs babby's first distro
>is now a Linux master

>>installs babby's first distro
>>is now a Linux master
I'm not challenged, am 3 l33t 5 u fegutz k?
Taking ov3r t3h matr1x n0w die n00bz

What about Manjaro?

>tfw you'll never be a linux master

>op installs loonix
>gets flamed to shit
>op stays on win7
>gets flamed to shit
you faggots are unreal

Not worth it.
Antergos is literally just easy arch installation with some people that know what they're doing that make sure no updates break anything.
Manjaro tries to be its own unique distros with just a base of arch.

DEBIAN
DEBIAN
DEBIAN
Arch and gentoo fags: where better than you because we took 1 hour and an insane amount of effort to get something almost objectively worse. You took 15 minutes to install something almost objectively better and it was easy and its powerful? LOL YOU DON"T KNOW LINUX HER DUR

>deleted OSX
>then replaced it with Mint
But... why? Why even bother deleting when you can just dual-boot or use a VM?

Apple makes it hard and unstable to dual boot now, plus I developed a hatred for apple after a year of using the OS , just a personal thing

this.

So I am looking for baby's first linux and need to actually learn linux and shit.

Anyone else suggest Debian?

debian or antergos are fine imo

Debians cool.

Are you mastering Linux or mastering installing distributions?

100% debian. It is the natural step up from Linux mint, you have options on the set up/downloads on how much hand holding you want (preloaded packages), and forces you to use the cli a lot more

OP DOWNLOAD DEBIAN

>Building arch
You mean to run pacstrap and arch-rootafter partitioning, then committing fstab and setup bootloader. Normies may also add a wheel user and sync gnome group after installing some driver packages.

If you want to deal with constantly outdated packages and broken repositories from trying to fix the former. Go nuts.

same i did a full wipe on my mac air. even the recovery partition. It is a royal pain to get a get a mac os image and make a bootable usb stick without normal apple machine handy....

fine then. goodridance

I am Mr Debian..... look at me

NO I am Mr Debian.... Look At Me

NO I am Mr Debian ....LOOK AT ME

>I just deleted OSX
>installed Linux Mint
AHAHAHAHAHA
You should have just dual booted.

>So I am looking for baby's first linux and need to actually learn linux and shit.

>Anyone else suggest Debian?
Debian all fucking day its everything good without the bulkshit

No, he was right is deleting OSX.

>'user's-MacbookPro
>'user's-iPhone
They broadcast who you are and it's easily identifies personal information about you. Annoying as fuck.

Go install manjaro network version and try to maintain your original partitions.

Try installing Arch Linux.

This, arch is too easy now.
install gentoo

Gentoo is "harder", but Arch is the way to go. You probably don't need the same level of granularity of Gentoo unless you do something that really needs it (compiling a certain kernel, compiling a certaing program with speific features, tweaking your hardware in low level, etc).

I felt the same, and also Mint seemed like a reskinned version of Ubuntu. So one route you could take is install regular Ubuntu but with a desktop environment of your choice.

Arch would also be a good distro to try next.

>I no longer feel like I'm a cog in a massive botnet

The best feeling.

A few months ago, I installed mint on an imac. It is now sitting in a pile on the floor with the rest of the shit I don't use.

Go with Arch op. It's a pretty dank os besides being hard enough to make you learn. Also whatever you choose, don't give up on linux before trying kde, it's the best de.

Gentoo is harder then Arch but Gentoo is fun to do

Why is gentoo so much shilled it's not Stallman approved.

>So I'm going to move onto a more challenging distro now
Why??

>Mint
You must be very edgy kid

Fedora is nice if you can ignore the meme name OP
Just works and gives you updated packages without breaking on you

>op is rating OS's by how 'hard' they are
>people actually go with that and recommend 'harder' OS's

If nothing else has revealed the elitist self-purposeness of distribution-discussions on this board then this certainly has.

What makes you think that?

>why is gentoo god-tier?
portage
>not Stallman-approved
echo 'ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE"' >> /etc/portage/make.conf

What's better for learning, Arch or Debian?

>Arch
>Learn
Good one.

He should have installed Gentoo.

Portage. USE flags. The community, best irc Chan.

Gentoo.

>a challenge
>mastered
>more challenging
>harder
there will never be year of linux desktop simply because the majority of linux users are just a bunch of man-"muh sekrit klub"-children, for whom the OS isnt a tool to achieve a goal but rather the OS is the goal itself. Doomed forever to be stuck on various servers and no-user-interaction-hardware or live as a castrated cuck under the heel of Android

you seem far more butthurt than your target audience.

>Gentoo is bald

Gentoo is 'harder' but arch lets you do harder things easier.

Why wouldn't he be butthurt? Anyone who actually likes Linux or even the idea of Linux should be butthurt about people circle jerking over difficulty.

An operating system should not have a difficulty rating. It's a tool. Nobody goes into a hardware store and asks "What's the most difficult tool to use?, I've already mastered hammers."

Mint is actually the hardest distro to install.
Frankly, we're all quite surprised you never took the bait.

Change your fucking hostname? Ubuntu/Mint does that too, if you let the default hostname.

Explain why... it's practically identical to Ubuntu.

Stopped reading there

fetch thread?

Go ahead, call the cops.