The Strain (TV series)

>The Strain (TV series)
>The Last Ship (TV series)
>The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Why does the image of a hacker in mainstream media seem to be a punk whore?

Because fat perma-virgin isn't very appealing.

Feminism.

same with Halt and Catch Fire

because the average movie goer doesn't know anything about hacking and the directors of these films treat their audience like idiots

If they wanted to be realistic the hacker would have to be a tranny.

Because it's more appealing to both men and women so it helps sell, why else?

Would you rather be watching some fat ugly cunt or would you rather see the ridiculously hot qt who plays Felicity on Arrow etc.

As for women it lets them live out the fantasy that women are generally not useless.

That is truth tho.

"Hacker" women do whorish things cause their daddy hacked them hard as a child.

honestly a fatass gentoo user would work if it was a comedy with serious elements sprinkled about

directors keep trying to make computer savvy people fuckable for some reason when in reality we're like mid-tier at best for 90% of IT

Real life isnĀ“t much better actually.

> Go to a hacker con
> Meet a lot of girls, Rainbow hair and "nerd/geek" tshirts are actually not uncommon, although less so than at at any general geek event
>Join Conversations ask one of them: "So.. what do you develop?"
>"Oh nothing, iam just blog & tweet. Iam mostly here because of friends, art and the 'feeling'"
> ..

At least they use oneplus/nexus android. If i have learned one thing, its that i can't stand a girl with a shitty iphone/samsung/sony/htc/other-non-rooted-crap in real life.

Linux is a totally different matter though, most "hacker" girls do indeed use MacOs and apple laptops.

Although since then i actually learned that iam a fag and like boys, so problem solved on both ends. :)

80s cyberpunk influences

It's a lazy cop out. They want a girl character but don't know what to do with her, so the safest default choice is "le haxxor gurl"

It's not just punk. It's basically any pretty girl.
Looking at you, Arrow

punk/goth is so strongly associated with the hacker culture that there is no way to separate the two.

>smart social outcasts who spend their time cracking systems to exercise power in their lives

tv and movies are all about hot chicks. would you watch a movie about chubby ugly people typing a ton of stuff into their computers?

At least they are woke.

> Mr Robot

>Mr

How dare you misgender me, shitlord.

Wow it's almost like the hacker image came from the cyberpunk fashion/music trend of the late 80s - 90s, and it definitely isn't like a large portion of the image was based on the industrial dance music scene or anything.

Maybe people got the idea from the matrix

Normies associate hackers with counter culture. They think hackers actually sprint around top secret facilities with laptops in their messenger bags or hang out in underground techo clubs laundering money for street gangs via the magic of Swiss bank accounts.

Because female hackers rarely if ever exist and a pale overweight autist doesn't make good cinema.

That bitch is so ugly

Not technology.

Pls... she's hot as fuck.

>a fatass gentoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had a guy like that in it. Remember the neckbeard she visited a few times?

I feel that while most of tt is on target, the patron saint and mother of hackers was a woman. If you have to ask who this is, you need to lurk and not comment, ppls.

How did 80s cyberpunk handle women? Was it better?