Cheap power supplies

Would It be a bad decision to buy a cheap power supply? Do they explode? I really wouldn't be stressing it though, the computer I'm going to build will not even use 50W at most

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/EVGA-Warranty-Power-Supply-100-N1-0400-L1/dp/B00LV8TZAG
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=324
youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M
jonnyguru.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/rmngBP
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You'd be saving money if you bought a 400-500w 80+ gold rated psu.

A cheap power supply will just be missing things like build quality, PFC, autoranging input..etc.

The actual power conversion isn't rocket science, though, so it should be fine. Especially with little load.

they die.

I don't understand why you would when you can get a semi-reputable one for $30

And take other components with it

TIP

if you buy a cheap PSU don't stress it over 75%

Dust it every week

Make sure it has a on/off switich

cheap PSU's can't discharge power quickly so when unpluging a cheap psu wait 60 seconds before plug everything back in and make sure the mains is the last to be plugged in.

Follow this Your impatience is that kills your components hardware rarely kills anything when following procedure correctly.

cheap PSU's just need more care then there more reliable counter part they last just as long as long as you follow the right steps.

>cheap PSU's can't discharge power quickly so when unpluging a cheap psu wait 60 seconds before plug everything back in and make sure the mains is the last to be plugged in.
I'm not even sure what you think the logic in this is.

If you will be drawing a fair amount off of the mains NEVER go for a cheap one!
Been there done that.
@50w you should be fine though.

Yes, it would. Yes, they can. is right, as is I've seen shit with literal cardboard circuit boards, dry joints, tin whiskers, a gap of 1mm and just one layer of crappy insulation tape between the business and pleasure coils of the transformer, and bare wire with mains flowing through it as a fuse, less than 5mm away from a fan retention wire touching the case.

People put actual mains through that thing. They used it until one of the caps burst (because of course it did). Somehow the machine survived to live another day after it was gifted with a power supply made by someone who actually gave a damn - but the 5V line on the Molex they didn't plug in was a short with the 230V live wire.

By all means cheap out on the case, but for fuck's sake, never the power supply, because it is the component best positioned to blow everything else up, and in Shenzhen on a Saturday night, safety regulations are things that happen to other people.

OEMs use cheap PSUs for their millions of desktops and they last for years just fine.

Cheap or not, they'll be safe. Plus anything half decent will come with something nice.

dude, the psu gives power to every component in your pc, buy a good one!

if you don't bother spending money on the gold rating say goodbye to your mobo.

cheap out on EVERYTHING but the PSU

also make sure to get one

>>relying on RIS
amazon.com/EVGA-Warranty-Power-Supply-100-N1-0400-L1/dp/B00LV8TZAG

cheap PSUs are fine. here's a review of the best price/perf PSU money can buy currently.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=324

If you don't care about the rest of your pc's components or energy efficiency (which saves you $$ on your electric bill) then by all means buy a cheap junk one. Then when it dies and takes your motherboard for example with it don't cry to us about it.

99% of all PCs use PSUs that are not (((gold))) rated. And they are perfectly fine.

If you are cheap, seasonic has $35 OEM psu's on eBay. 650 watt ones.

tfw you have to spend $80 on a PSU because your tiny ITX case requires fully modular.

>1000W
>Ever
there is no halfway sensible computer that uses 1000W. You would need a tripple GPU system to even get close to that.

>if you don't bother spending money on the gold rating say goodbye to your mobo.
idiot

I purchased a $22 600W Chinese one in Mexico. Worked for a year, then I changed a fuse (costed roughly $0.30) and it has been working for two years. I'm also pretty abusive on it, I never turn the AC on and the air coming out of the PSU constantly smells like burned circuits; also the fan works really slow and all of this it has been like this since before I fixed it. I have 0 problems and I'm sure this uncertified and unbranded PSU can take at least another two years of use without ever damaging my computer (that by the way I plug directly to the wall, no need for a meme breaker). Point is that you don't know shit about computers, computers can take a lot of punishment and they keep working perfectly. You are just probably buying brands with programmed obsolescence because you don't have actually good things available.

Buy any OP.

They're usually good up to ~300w

>which saves you $$ on your electric bill
Yeah like $5 a year.

I use max 30w and i use a 150w picopsu. Maybe you can do something similar.

When it comes to actually quality PSUs that are on the cheaper side, does anyone have any suggestions?
Looking for 500W and upwards.

If you are that poor that you can't afford a Seasonic PSU you shouldn't be building a computer in the first place.
Save up and don't cheap out on the most important component.

A1-550s

Antec Edge
EVGA G2
Super Flower Golden King

Look at the warranty. Look for one at least 3 years.

Anything less is gonna be something using garbage chinese caps, shortcuts and skimping on safety and power regulation.

I have been using a chinese psu for more than 4 years, well most psu are made in china, and everything has been ok

You can test if you want

Unplug your pc and press the power button, the fans will spin for half a second

>Would It be a bad decision to buy a cheap power supply? Do they explode?
Yes, sometimes.

Again, what do you think this does and why should I take the precautions you said?

A good PSU is not really that expensive. A chinkshit one might save you $20 but then it could also start an electrical fire and cost you thousands so there's that. That isn't likely to happen but they can still cost you a decent amount of money if they fail and take your entire computer out.

a 295x2 with a FX 9590 wouldnt?

I have a cheap 350 watt in my other PC, literally nothing wrong with it as long as you're not overclocking or anything like that where you need a completely stable voltage all the time then it's fine most motherboards have surge protection and other advanced voltage features anyway, I have had a cheap one die on me before and it did not fry anything in my setup.

Also if you use a cheap one it's gonna save you a lot more than $50 especially if you buy second hand, most people never use them so many are good as new

I literally got mine for $1 off an auction website because no one wants them

most pre builts come with cheap PSU's and they can last a really long time

I'm realizing now that I probably should have done a bit more research into what PSU to get. Picked up a EVGA 600B last week. Am I fine for the most part or fucked?

You're fine buddy, Bronze-rated PSUs are still fine to run on. As long as it has a 80+ rating you'll be fine, but the better rating usually means batter quality and longevity.
And for EGVA's Gold-rated units, a 10-year warranty.

>EGVA's Gold-rated units, a 10-year warranty

EVGA 550 GS = 5 years warranty
EVGA 650 GS = 5 years warranty
EVGA 850 GS = 5 years warranty
EVGA 1050 GS = 5 years warranty
EVGA 650 GQ = 5 years warranty
EVGA 750 GQ = 5 years warranty
EVGA 850 GQ = 5 years warranty
EVGA 1000 GQ = 5 years warranty
EVGA 550 G2 = 7 years warranty
EVGA 650 G2 = 7 years warranty

Okay, not ALL the Gold-Rated units, ya' cunt.

My 750 G2 has a 10-year on it along with my 750 G1 as well.

tfw shilling the 80+ gold meme

do not buy a cheap power supply, I lost a GPU to a shitty PSU because I wanted to save money. Thank god I didn't lose anything else.

youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Unless you buy something on aliexpress or ebay, this is not really an issue anymore.

I also would check the review on specific models and not go on brand alone.

jonnyguru.com/

ali express are terrible worst service experience I ever had, a week after payment and they still had not even shipped yet, 2 weeks later I got a refund never buy from them EVER

Generally a PSU is going to be rated in total output, and then rated in amps per rail. I doubt these guys were staying inside the rated current limits per rail and just throwing a big fat half-ohm resistor on the 12v line and letting 'er rip'

idiots don't bother to read the specs or just don't understand then go and put too much strain on the 12V line and then wonder why the fucking thing blows up

fucking retards

Never skimp on your PSU or storage unit

i don't know if quality PSU is a meme, but i think it's better to spend 100$ for a PSU that last 6-7 years than 30$ for a PSU that could fuck up your rig.
btw if your system requires 400 or so watts like most budget builds do just go for a 600B and that shouldn't (who knows) explode killing you and your family/friends, just don't stress it

Not even close.

>G2 750
You're a lucky man, but so am I since I also have that PSU.
Only negative part which is just nitpicky is that the fan makes a slight click when you power it on.
Fan has never spun for me since I don't load enough to warrant active cooling yet.

Ehh, assuming you OC a slight bit or add a bunch of fans/ drives, you're there.

That is literally a shill website that tries to make you buy oversized Cooler Master PSUs.

Measure your own real power consumption instead.

>power supply calculators

do I need to upgrade mine?
pcpartpicker.com/list/rmngBP

Are you OCing your CPU? You could get one of those giant Noctuas if you want to push it without going liquid. You could also download some extra RAM, that's always a cheap option to feel better about your rig.

but some, I assume are good PSU's

Seasonic for life.

talking about my psu user.

Why would you upgrade a PSU if you're not changing the hardware? Are you not getting enough electricity?

If you buy any discreet gpu, don't cheap out on psu. All gpu like to spike up power draw every now and then, and that's not listed in the specs. It lasts less than a second, but shitty psu don't take kindly to it and like to blow up.

Only buy absolute cheapo ones if you're using onboard graphics and only plan on browsing the internet/watching videos.

The one on the right is pretty bad. The one on the left is good!

Probably cheaper capacitors that have a longer discharge time constant.

Never cheap out on the PSU. My father got one and it went bang.

anything will work m8

a 15dollar chink psu will work fine
i have my core 2 duo pc 8 years ago bought along a 10 dollar chink psu and it still works

One thing I've been told to watch out for is peak vs. continuous power.
What did the Cred Forums fag mean?