/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-tudor-25500-pelagos-black-2-line-3509730.html
rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=494470
forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-tudor-pelagos-titanium-two-liner-ref-25500tn-3504570.html
good-stuffs.com/Blue-Beijing-Beihai-30-SB18-hand-winding-mechanical-watch-_p_267.html
good-stuffs.com/Beijing-blue-Hong-Ru-automatic-wrist-watch-_p_228.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f72/roman-numeral-dial-variant-seagull-819-368-st2130-sapphire-crystal-new-style-deployant-868890.html
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/3odbdl/junghams_max_bill_how_scratch_resistant_is/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

inb4 seikos are $500 now

>inb4 poorfag seikos

>inb4 i want a seiko but can't blow half a thousand dollars on it

Seikos are, generally, between 50 and 500,000 USD.

why so range seiko

Because they have so many operations at different levels. They got their grand seiko and Credor operations putting out numbers larger than some high end swiss manufacturers. They also got Seiko 5 operation that's as big as some other inexpensive makers making their entire line.

Seiko sweet spots are 50, 500, 5000. Real good watches. Or like 2Kish for a 8R48 triple vehicle clutch chrono is also a fantastic deal.

WAY/wt/, senpai?

Hello from /p/

Hello fellow /p/oo

I'm liking having manual winding, thought i was going to kind of not like it so much but it's not a pain in the ass and thinness and less noise make it kinda of cool when compared to automatic.

I just read what i wrote and goddamn i'm drunk but i'm usually not that bad at making sentences

>creams internally

Many more watches should be manual wind than currently. So many people love the manual wind aspect of reversos and speedmasters. Being able int interact with your watch by consciously winding it every day is appealing to people who actually like watches.

And as long as you're not needing to reset a moonphase or perpetual calander (and wanting a watch winder so you can ensure you don't need to do that) then the gains of losing automatic winding are very reasonable.

I am addicted to diver watches... I want a bronze one similar to the BB but I honestly don't want to pay more than $400. I don't want brass...

>The jews did it

Bronze and brass are shit.

Steel! Or titanium.

If you patina then go buy a vintage watch, with a dial burnt from radiation. Or even some crazy spider cracked dial.

I own the speedmaster and I hate fucking winding watches, its just dumb tbqh, at least for watches you wear constantly.

Love the minimal picture, what laptop is that?

Just came in the mail today! Loving it so far.

>Spending $2000 on a totally unadjusted, unregulated movement in a watch with a monoblock case

Laughing _Whores.jpg

The Marinemaster is actually regulated, just not in chronometre specs. $2k is pretty retarded though considering that a used pic related is around $2500-$2750.

Pelagos is $3500

>buying new
>paying full MSRP

Where do you see that? Cheapest I could find on chrono24 was 2700 eurobux. Most are 3k and up.

Watchrecon, the ones that are listed at 3k tend to not ever be sold. The Avg. selling price is around $2700-$2750, then some idiot just sold out last week for $2500.

Just a Macbook Pro.

A second hand or grey market Pelagos will be 3500 with bracelet. That's the low end.

forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-tudor-25500-pelagos-black-2-line-3509730.html

rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=494470

forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-tudor-pelagos-titanium-two-liner-ref-25500tn-3504570.html

Those aren't brand new. Some of them even have small scratches.

You're going to have a tough time, the cheapest bronze one I've seen is just barely south of 500 but I admit it isn't a look I'm really into, I just love bracelets too much.

here's one for 1300, like the watch forum people say though just wait and buy the one you really want

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Cred Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

kys newfag

>pointing out namefagging
>newfag
>not disabling names clientside to maintain the purity of an anonymous imageboard

You're a newfag to /wt/

Been here longer than him. :^)

Let's say I have all the money in the world.
What watch should I buy?

Unlikely

I'm not a newfag to /wt/. I know who ninefag is. Just because he has been namefagging for a long time does not give him an exception. Also, this applies to me as well:

black bay

Patek super complication pocket watch.

Newfags gonna fag

Well sorry I can't prove it, because I'm not a tripfag. :^)

How do you guys like the new Apple Watch

this is a fedora watch thread, we only like watches that need to be wound every few hours

not useful watches

Can't say I care for the rounded edges.

nu male as fuck

Gayest watch ever. (And that's including little girl watches.)

I pity your lack of sense.

gayer than sucking a dick

I'll probably get this one next (it's got dicks for hands)

Is it gay because it can do a lot of things?

gay because it looks gay and only a fag would own one

Is that the new one?

Is it the 38mm or 42?

If 42, 38 would look better.

Opinions in this?

Worth the price?

How much?

$1800

$1500 in some places.

Eta 7750

> 7750
What no way it looks so slim can't possibly be that huge chunky 7750 why it's only
>looks at specs
14.4mm jesus

It hides it well. I've seen it in person and that flying saucer design does it a lot of favors.

14mm is the thinnest a case can be with a 7750. 2824 cases go down to 9mm.

Looks slime due to tapered design and domed crystal. In reality its just as thick as any 7750 watch.

Rate my collection

>shiters

It's gay because it instantly makes you look like you have dick fever.

Normies won't mind, but no watch afficionado will respect you with that.

thanks senpaitachi

>unadjusted, unregulated movement
What is this meme

It's 42, the other one is too small

It's true bauhaus. It's a little artifact of german design and culture.

A lot of the architecture/design senpais (unlike us filthy, poorfag, timex-wearing fine art majors) wear this, if not a world war II era Elgin or something.

The fuck happened to his show? Who the fuck is that annoying fucking cunt that he has on? Why doesn't she get naked already? Why is she running her mouth like she thinks people care about her opinion?

Looking to spend about £200-300 on a watch.
New or used.
I have a few ideas but i'm struggling to decide.
Please throw some alternative ideas my way.

Do you plan on swimming with it?

no

$200-$300 is not much different than $130-$150 quality wise. If you want a nice watch that you can do anything in then pic related is a good start.

i'm not looking for a dress watch, sorry
field or diver

A full production run of pic related, you'll never need to buy anymore watches ever.

Seiko Turtle.

How's the rodina? Does it feel as cheap as it is?

the rodina is good, get rid of the rest, maybe keep casio

What a stupid answer.
Also, in the case of that ugly Casio, it's like saying you should buy all the shit in the world.

It's a stupid question, if you had all the money in the world you could just buy every watch.

Go boil your head fuck nut.

Why did you get such an ugly Amphibia?

Is this the successor to the SKX?

No, basically Seiko is bringing back some old designs for the money.

Got this used off ebay. It's been 10 days and my SARB033 is running 3 seconds slow. Guy said it kept good time, bretty happy.

How much did you pay?

$300 AUD so $224 USD

Man even if its a SARB its kinda a lot... I wouild pay that much for a SARB035 though, I love the enamel dial.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel now. I think the cream dial goes with other straps much better. Didn't know it was made of enamel though.

Opinions?

Shitter.

I have noticed myself accidentally brushing along with my wrist random objects metal because I'm a pretty clumsy person and I like to gesticulate.
Since my current watch has a sapphire crystal, that wasn't a problem.

But now I'm thinking about buying a SARB065.

Anyone has any experiences about how scratch-resistant the hardlex is?
Also, if you shit it up beyond repair, can you even get the crystal replaced with a local dealer, given that it's domed and only sold in Japan. What would they charge?

overprice garbage, get an omega

Weird (and annoying) how Sinns cost a lot less second-hand in the US than in Europe. You might as well buy a new one instead, though at least you can flip one without losing much.

>buy lot of 2nd hand sinns in the US
>sell them in europe
>profit?

This big watch meme needs to stop

Nice, how's the sapphire crystal? Did you get that when they were super cheap on ebay? I remember the green ones being half the price of the other colors.

Well i liked how it had the similar case as the Seiko turtle, and also like the sailboat dial. Only thing i dont love is the strap.

You can get a Sea-Gull watch on ebay with an ST2130 movement for $115 US (eta 2824 clone). Probably the best movement you can get for that price. For around $200, there is also a BWAF hand winder with 28,800 bph.

Not really, i got mine from amazon and while the strap is bad, the watch itself is more sturdy than most of my others.Only issue is winding the watch, because the crown feels a little short, but there really isnt any need to wind it,

I might get it.

There are cheaper options for automatic chronos with day/date, but the design of the Max Bill stands out so much.

I was at the WatchBuys roadshow recently and this particular piece just stood out so much.

Is this thing worth the 400 cuck bucks?
It's a great size. Or should I just go with a turtle?

Wanna post links for the bwaf? The blue one with the patterened dial

I'm not sure what cuck bucks are, Canadian dollars?

If it's $400 us it's getting a touch on the pricey side, the value is still there but mainly because seiko offer some very good watches, the same quality if not slightly better at a slightly lower price point. Seiko sarbs are $300. A seiko field watch is like $400. Anyway, it is an alright, the pretty much only Swiss watch I'd by in the price range

Yep.

Gotta love that 20% EU duty.

That's hardly a Swiss made watch. It's assembled somewhere in China or something and the final inspection is done in Switzerland. You're paying for the Swiss name through a technicality. Better off going Japanese for watches

This doesn't look half bad for the price.

Go with with Certina rather than hamclinlton.

There are two that are blue and have patterend dial, one with large and one with small seconds hand:

good-stuffs.com/Blue-Beijing-Beihai-30-SB18-hand-winding-mechanical-watch-_p_267.html

good-stuffs.com/Beijing-blue-Hong-Ru-automatic-wrist-watch-_p_228.html

A lot of my watches are Seiko, and I'm getting a little tired of the glorified 7s26 they use
I never mentioned anything about "swiss made"
That moniker is bullshit all the way up to Omega. I understand that swatch is a garbage company, and honestly, this is the only hamilton worth buying.
Seiko is great but until you're going into the 2k+ range, their bracelets are utter garage.
Any specific models you would recommend?

>painted hands
>4 different dial textures
>"Chinese Made"
>flathead screw-in springbars
>onion crown

The Chinese have no sense, whatsoever, of classic European design.

That may look OK to non-watch people, but it looks tacky to anyone who knows.

The dial is the worst part imho.

>trying to appear credible by claiming to be "watch people"
nigga pls

forums.watchuseek.com/f72/roman-numeral-dial-variant-seagull-819-368-st2130-sapphire-crystal-new-style-deployant-868890.html

It's literally just a FC, le locle homage. Nothing wrong with the design at all.

>amphibia
>not ugly
pick one

>wearing a watch when you have a portable super computer in your pocket

>carrying an electronic computer in your pocket when you could be carrying a pocket mechanical computer that requires no electricity to run.

>mfw this actually makes me hard

Relatively speaking, also I don't think the scuba dude Amphibias are Ugly.

How do you play Candy Crush on that?

absolutely yes, i have the junghans max bill chronograph in black and white and it's gorgeus

What's Cred Forums's opinion on French vintage LIP watches?
I kinda like the look of this one called Galaxie from 1975.

>a pocket mechanical computer that requires no electricity to run
Time to get a watch with a micro-Curta. Set the date and time and the mechanical computer determines the correct Moon phase.

With a watch like that you pay other to crush that boring candy.

>Is that trefoil for radiation on there?
Yes, it indicates the watch uses tritium. You can see the tubes inserted into the hours and minutes hands.

It's my grail watch.
Yeah.

Babby wrists reporting in.

sick

Bruh just get a date just. That's embarrassing.

Looks like the hp logo

>bitch wrists
>gets a SD

at least he has money bro

That's embarrassing

reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/3odbdl/junghams_max_bill_how_scratch_resistant_is/

Why the fuck did they AR coat an acrylic crystal? Acrylic isn't even that reflective.

Personally i don't care much, still my grail watch

>affordable, readily available watch
>grail

Stop making this term meaningless.

It's affordable for you

Swatch ETA master race

>actually paying for a 27mm thick wrist mounted Omega advertisement

Tip top jej, plebfriend.

poor pleb master race

Nice

Fuck I dig thick watches. What model

Are you compensating for something?

>ORIGINAL POOR TASTE VALVE

You're correct, the thickness is outrageous. I believe its a bit more than 13mm thick if I'm not mistaken, and I hate it, it's just so cumbersome

Yes

Tissot Carson Chronograph

You realize that "pocket watch" is like the size of a brick, right?

And not a small brick.

This is what mine looks like after 10 years as daily beater (sold now). So yes, it does scratch.

Looks similar to this.

What watch is this?

how difficult is it to replace a crystal?
thinking about getting a sapphire crystal for my snda65.
the hardlex has developed a strange bubble type crack.

Orient Soma model # is in the file name.

>use both hands to pull 12 kilo watch out of pocket
>squint my eyes and see hebrew calendar sandwiched among the fucking mess of every complication ever made by watchmakers
>"oy vey! its almost sabbath!"
>put pocket boulder back in pants
>rips through pocket
>shatters on ground
>oy gevalt

Raketa Big Zero, talk to me.

If you nigger it up and smash the crystal, its easy to just push in a new with a watch crystal tool for 10$. just buy multiple sizes around your measurement so you paly it safe since crystals cost less than 2$

Kinda want. The lume dot on the ass end of the second hand drives me nuts though. Wish Seiko would put it where it's pointing.

Domed crystal?