Is there really any difference between brands of RAM?

Is there really any difference between brands of RAM?

Other urls found in this thread:

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-Memory-Optimization-182/
corsair.com/en/blog/2015/september/ddr3_vs_ddr4_generational
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sometimes it's rated to a higher overclock, but that's not really brand because nearly every big brand makes nearly every kind of ram
The ram market is like the vegetable market, it's so basic and oversupplied that everybody has to sell their specific ram at the same price

Hynix, Elpida, Micron, Samsung are the only ones you should be buying.

And they have to paint their cucumbers red and put a sticker that says "xXgamingproXx" on their zucchinis so that teenagers will be more likely to buy them.

You should support Poland and buy Good RAM

Yes

I'm a dexfag. Which RAM should I pick?

That too, but I mean, everybody has tried that, it doesn't even have a purpose anymore when the first 700 pages of ram are gaymen-colored and you have to actively dig and search to find non-fancyfied ram for $2 less

Lol I realized this recently. Shopping for motherboards and most of them were labeled as 'gaming'. What could that possibly mean for a motherboard? Then I realized they were painted red and that's really it. How did we get to this point?

Obviously gamers.

get this board
for the ram i recommend the KILLER 5000 or ANNIHILATOR

The heat spreader makes quite a difference when inserting the RAM.

Everything else being equal, I'd go for the biggest, most comfortable, handle.

He's talking about selecting RAM, not male prostitutes you degenerate homo

I'd imagine the PCIe slots might also be better spread out for multi card setups.

This man has a point
For heat spreading, heat spreaders are useless
But you don't want to actually touch those plastic chip-sized heat spreaders do you?

>But you don't want to actually touch those plastic chip-sized heat spreaders

Why not?

If they break off who gives a shit?

I bought a new mobo recently, it was between the "gaming" one and the "ultra durable" one. The gay men had 3 metal-covered PCIe slots, and was red. The not gay man had 2 "durable" PCIe slots and 2 PCI slots
Either way I'm getting jewed imo

And the not gay man only has a x16 and x4 PCIe, so no SLI realistically.
But I mean who the fuck would want SLI anymore?

I'll bet "gaming" editions are generally better value than "professional" editions.

Male teenagers are tight as fuck when it comes to money.

Hold the RAM by the edges for fucks sake.
And have fun dicking with your non-stock HSFs to get it around the modules
>Inb4 air-cooled maymay

As for fagmer mobo's I dunno, I got a asus z170-a. Not sure if all oc mobos are all pozzed too but id assume so

>6600k I havent bothered to oc, dont need the power yet

I doubt it's ever a better price/performance value, but if it comes down to getting 1 more powerful slot and USB C or something in exchange for a $20 premium and red paint I can see why "gaming" stuff still has a market for the less retarded consumer retards

Point your cooler vertically like what the fuck it's not hard
>inb4 top exhaust maymah

>Hold the RAM by the edges for fucks sake.

No need, I have this RAM.
It's really quite awesome.

I haven't tried and don't know if my evo 212 is made for that. I've got the theRMAltake rx overseer with a second 200mm (led of course) on top exhaust.

Should I not to top exhaust? I wish I could side exhaust but the cooler is in the way. My fury nitro hits 75 under load :/

I...
I just can't even...

>And have fun dicking with your non-stock HSFs to get it around the modules

That's exactly where the extra height helps: so you don't cut yourself open on your CPU cooler as you add extra RAM.

Nice, almost had me for a second.

I just put my sticks in the 2nd and 4th slots, no problem.

I really hate how pretty much all cases are gaymin themed. I'd love to have something SGI-inspired.

they all look like black fucking rectangles to me

I hate how all modern ssf's are gay and cost more.

>tfw I come back to this thread and no one thought my dick joke was funny

>tfw replying to my own dick joke post

>tfw Friday night

Iktf bro.

Left uni at 4, ate chinese, and can't be bothered to do a thing

See I don't know that feel because I work for a living
Doing absolutely nothing is bliss

Are there noticeable difference when you're not gaming?

What even is the difference?

>no
>faster refresh rate for the random access memory

>nearly every big brand makes nearly every kind of ram
Those big brands are all buying ram from the same suppliers, then just rebadging it with gaymer shit.

Yes but show me where you can buy single packs of ram direct from manufacturer

Fine, sells*
Now do you feel batter?

I buy the cheapest Kingston ValueRAM, always

never had any problems

You can't. The point is there's no difference between $50 ram and $100 ram if they're both clocked the same. You're basically paying extra for unnecessary shit in 98% of cases.

>mfw G SKILLZZZ GAMING FURIOUS SAVAGE AMAZONIAN TRIBESMAN CUTTER COOLMAXXX 3666 MEGAhz WITH EXTRA FUNCTIONAL RED PAINT is cheaper than Kingston value ram

>Why not?
I want to know what you're talking about.

But over the last week I've found every single variant of 2x8 ddr4 (from 2133 naked ram to 4000 heatsunk ram for $70 at some point
That's what I'm saying, they're a vegetable market, it's all just fucking ram and even the market reflects that

>He/Ze doesn't have a dedicated RAM module fan.

Yea, they're using chips from one of those 4. All Kingston are doing are soldering them to a PCB, if that.

I never see around Cred Forums people using HyperX Savage, maybe Fury sometimes but never Savage.

Is there issue with them?

Okay, I have a very basic understanding of RAM, and I have a question.

Suppose I want to buy DDR4 memory.

Is it better to get a stick with a high clock speed, and a high CAS, OR a stick with low clock speed, but also a low CAS?

What differences would I notice in either case?

No room for the fan, my ram has LED lighting, baby!

not here. The entire first few pages are generally Kingston ValueRAM for me (sorted by price)

then again I only buy ECC memory

>was gonna buy budget balling ram with green pcb and no heatsink
>the 3000mhz g skill gaming crap was actually cheaper
I guarantee I would've noticed zero difference, ever, either way but at least I saved a dollar

It'll probably have identical access and refresh times.

Technology should be intelligent not savage
None of us Cred Forumsurus would ever buy dumb backwards aboriginal loincloth-wearing ram were 2smart

But then why is RAM with higher clock speed so much more expensive?

Is it just marketing?

>they're a vegetable market
The computer hardware industry is the same as the bodybuilding supplement industry: taking advantage of clueless people that clearly don't know better.

I hope it changes eventually, but I'm doubtful of that ever happening.

Stick with whatever is on sale

Basically this, you want to divide your clock speed by your CAS latency and go for the one with the bigger number

People like higher numbers?

>But then why is RAM with higher clock speed so much more expensive?
Different manufacturing process.

Because it's meme shit. If it's not a JEDEC standard frequency, then you're buying bullshit.

I had to wait patiently for that $5 sale but it happened and it pushed it below Kingston value ram (which wasn't really that cheap honestly, maybe newegg is the wrong place)

I buy all of my stuff from mindfactory here in germany

if I lived in burgerland I would buy from natex.us for sure

That doesn't explain the price difference

Vegetable market implies that the market is so saturated that all the prices are priced competitively and as a result everything ends up costing the same
I was saying it's not like other parts, even maximum hype can't justify a mild price increase over "the other guys"

Just find the one without a price difference, like I found out it's not that hard to watch websites

Yeah the LED's make it go faster too but I like the fans, lower temps = longer life!

The Savage actually gives a 6% fps increase in Farcry Primal, don't you know?

Blue LEDs make it run cooler, because it's blue, like water, which is cold and wet, and water cooling is the best thing for any computer enthusiast.

But liquid nitrogen looks white, so maybe white LEDs would be even better?

>Blue
>Team Mystic
Just go.

as you increase frequency the cas latencies go up, it's inherent

just get the cheapest non-shit freq you can, 2400mhz ddr4 is fine

>But then why is RAM with higher clock speed so much more expensive?
>Is it just marketing?

it's 99% marketing but there's some extremely niche uses for high speed ram - rather than spend double the shekels on it just overclock your current ram when necessary

it absolutely does, are you retarded?

>it absolutely does, are you retarded?
How does a more expensive manufacturing process somehow magically make people want to spend more money for the exact same result?

White less can give you the best cooling if they're the right one but the wrong white LEDs make your computer feel institutionalized and not perform as well as possible
Also I could lead to PC white supremacy tendencies, even to go as far as feeling like a master race

What color temperature is best? 5000K? 6000K? 9000K?

>when necessary
Overclocking ddr4 is tard-proof, and doesn't significantly lower your $30 computer part's lifespan. If you have a mobo and ram that allows for it, there's no reason not to overclock. I mean you did pay for a bigger number right?

Depends on your video card

It's one of those that looks like an owl's eyes

so maybe I should try and match it to what owl eyes look like when reflecting the moon at night?

that would be about 6500k I believe

You'd have to wrap your hardware with tinfoil to get the performance gain from those colors, 6500k is a pretty advanced led frequency, especially if you overclock it to purple, which can lead to unexpected results

>You'd have to wrap your hardware with tinfoil to get the performance gain from those colors
don't worry, I've come prepared

>It's one of those that looks like an owl's eyes

What if it got a sexy robot on the box?

hoot hoot motherfucker

Best thread on Cred Forums right now, this is the perfect balance of actual discussion, sarcastic commentary, and outright shitposting. /comfy/ af

Kek and Tay have smiled upon us.

the results aren't the same as there's certainly a difference in performance however it's only evident in some memory bandwidth specific applications which excludes most people and use-cases off the bat, however the 10% difference in performance going from say ddr4-2400 to ddr4-3000 doesn't justify >20% extra cost never mind that the price to performance ratio is far more severe when going beyond ddr4-3200

either way people will pay the difference which is why there's a market for it in the first place

>If you have a mobo and ram that allows for it, there's no reason not to overclock

I'm inclined to agree if you have the time to sink into it, the default xmp profile on my motherboard occasionally prevents me from booting and the shitty firmware is awkward to workaround when it happens which is why I usually don't bother but it's certainly an option

>and doesn't significantly lower your $30 computer part's lifespan

I wish, I bought my rig before skylake came out and 2x8gb cost $150~ then and $60~ now :(

If you're going arou telling people here's a 10% difference of course they're gonna buy it
People break their computers for 10% better performance

>is not intended as a weapon, nor can it be assembled as a firearm.

Gets me every time.

I didn't see that that was photoshop, which can be set up to efficiently eat up all of your ram all of the time
If you're saying to go against high MHz ram, photoshop isn't the benchmark to show

You should follow the chain of replies before inserting your worthless contributions, user

Also that benchmark is a fucking joke

good feel

Why is ddr4 worse than ddr3 across the board?

>799 MHz
world's best hardware reporting software right there

my point was more that there may be a 10% difference but it's only there in some programs that really abuse memory bandwidth like heavy photo/video editing, anything to do with compression, and likely cad and similar software

but it's one of the last steps in the upgrade chain, processors and faster ssds are both huge upgrades for that type of work but if you're already running skylake-e with pcie ssds then you're also probably running high clock memory from the factory

a point I didn't quite mention is that for the most part lower clock sticks overclock on frequency fine, the same can't always be said for the cheaper higher clock sticks

>If you're saying to go against high MHz ram

I'm not saying go against mhz but overclock if you need it and save a decent amount of cash, again I neglected to mention it but higher clock sticks rarely overclock as well in frequency so you're effectively paying for marginally lower cas latency timings which has far, far less of an effect on overall performance as the benchmarks I posted hopefully show

>photoshop isn't the benchmark to show

I'm trying to be as fair to higher stock memory as I can, still, the photoshop benchmarks will effectively only be additive of using a lot of filters and will be negligible during actual work until you need to bulk process some photos - in which case yeah you may finish a few minutes early with higher clocks

>You should follow the chain of replies before inserting your worthless contributions, user

I'm in the fucking chain you aspie

>Also that benchmark is a fucking joke

barely, if anything it's biased to the i7-4790k but it's why I posted first and it's not as if anybody hasn't seen memory benchmarks before, I would have assumed someone posting on a fucking technology forum can find their own benchmarks to make up their mind

>the photoshop benchmarks will effectively only be additive of using a lot of filters and will be negligible during actual work until you need to bulk process some photos

just to add to this, but pic related is a somewhat old benchmark now (2013) but is far less favourable to memory speed (and configuration in general) and actually comes from an article about optimising memory in photoshop cs6

it's likely a tad different now but nobody seems interest in benchmarking photoshop these days

the article is here if you want a read: pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-Memory-Optimization-182/

the link to the exact details of the benchmark they used is defunct but you might be able to find it on google if you're persistent enough

god damn

>Why is ddr4 worse than ddr3 across the board?

ddr4 being newer technology results in slower cas timings - as manufacturing improves we might get ddr4 sticks that are closer to their ddr3 counterparts (but there's other considerations such as but not limited to lower voltage)

high end ddr2 was faster than high end ddr3 for a really long time too

(fwiw, ddr4 beats out ddr3 on throughput -- corsair.com/en/blog/2015/september/ddr3_vs_ddr4_generational )

and again forgot to mention but it might be stated elsewhere in the thread, the trade off is always higher frequency versus less latency, as you increase frequency and bandwidth the latency rises

different applications will have different needs, some will do better with high frequency memory despite shitty cas timings and others will do better with lower cas timings because they're not really pushing a lot of data, just accessing it

humor bump

Nice try.

I wonder how-many people don't realize it's a joke.
Don't most of the people who strap heat-syncs onto their ram just buy from Kingston?
Also, how-many manufactures actually MAKE ram? I never really looked into it.

>syncs
Every time
>how-many manufactures actually MAKE ram?
The chips? Lots of companies do, but only the big 4 are selling them to anyone but bargain basement chink shit assemblers.