Suppose we find out tomorrow that a 1000Km wide asteroid will come in very close proximity to the earth in ten years...

Suppose we find out tomorrow that a 1000Km wide asteroid will come in very close proximity to the earth in ten years with a high chance of impact.

What is the most effective program to save as many people as possible?
How does your country respond?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I
accuweather.com/en/weather-news/nations-adopt-doomsday-vaults-svalbard-frozen-zoo-preserve-animal-plant-dna-freezing/53413098
universetoday.com/16066/bad-idea-blowing-up-asteroids-with-nuclear-missiles/
nasa.gov/nasa-edge/0710-planetary-defense
youtube.com/watch?v=BS3RIZt5OmA
youtube.com/watch?v=AJgEG6PXt3E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There is literally nothing we can do about it except wait for the inevitable death. All the nukes in the world won't do jack shit against a doomsday asteroid.

first step is to go find the best oil drillers on earth
second step is to train them as astronauts

What's the third step?

third step is go get a box of animal crackers

Cue the Aerosmith

I DON'T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES

The most effective program is to do nothing and just die, my country would go to the roads wearing almost nothing to dance some samba probably, I probably would have to work even with this happening

I DONT WANNA FAAAAALLL ALSEEP CUZ I MISS U BABE

Can't you just easily knock it to the side a bit?
You don't really need to destroy it.

>tfw the end of the known world will not be in your lifetime

In a cosmic sort of way, I actually want this to happen. I want to see if sworn enemies would befriend eachother since their time is coming to an end.

>1000Km wide

How many nukes would you need?

only bruce willis knows the answer

>I want to see if sworn enemies would befriend eachother since their time is coming to an end.
Just look to any major disaster to see what will happen. Niggers looting, random acts of violence, etc

Good point. But still, it will be amazing, I will be blasting Aerosmith the whole time.

Nukes are not as powerful in space. They need oxygen to expel the amounts of force they do here in our atmosphere.

Well, say that the impact would happen in the region of middle-east to asia - you would start importing people from all of those countries into safe areas in the west so as to preserve the generic diversity for the future. Kinda like what is taking place right now :^)

I've said too much already, just think it out.

it needs a medium to be more effective, it doesn't give a shit about oxygen

Nukes are plenty powerful in space, but good luck predicting how an asteroid with react to an explosion without an extremely detailed and time consuming survey of its structure.

Wouldn't an asteroid of that size destroy all life on earth regardless of where it hits?

More than certainly. You can't give up hope and not try to at least attempt something however futile.

Wouldn't throwing a rock at your neighbor kill the whole planet regardless of who it hits?

That's how retarted you sound mate

crashing this thread

That user is correct. Planet killer asteroids get their name because the initial impact sets off a chain of events that last for potentially hundreds of thousands to millions of years. The ensuing devastation to the climate means sunlight will not get through the nuclear-winter style thick, smog-covered cloud ruining all flora and thus any chance of food source for animal life. It's a killa.

whites loot just as much, the media just kisses their ass and says they're "scavenging"

if you want to see white savagery in action look at the Bundy subhumans. Can't occupy a government building with indoor plumbing for more than a week without shitting everywhere.

nigga you can grow plants inside

>retardalert.gif

triggered

Elon musk is the Antichrist

nah, I'm doing pretty good.
Your bait is weak

this had better be bait

Go buy GPUs goy...guys. This thread is uninteresting. Look, the latest iPhone is available! Nothing to see here.

this, moon is fucked, cant get to mars, can't survive underground, world would fall into anarchy if public knew this, they would just pretend it wasn't happening.

Depends on how far away it was when you started knocking it.

I thought the Amish didn't use technology, but he has a phone?

So what if it actually is?

no hes a special non-goy.

I'll take a nice comfy chair to the top of some hill, fire up a blunt and watch the fireworks on that day of doom. It will be grand.

better get looting and raping just in case

PUt your junk in that box

in theory something is probably going to eventually crash into the planet and tardigrades will become the dominant species. its pretty much impossible to say when, but its probably going to happen.

Nukes likely will not work. The problem with trying to explode a nuke close to an asteroid is twofold:

1: the resulting fragments that do come off the main body will still be likely headed in earth's direction, either by the asteroid's momentum already and the gravitational field of our solar system.

2. this creates even more uncertainty: what if our calculations were out and the asteroid would have passed with no issue? Now we have a billion shards of asteroid going to hit us anyway. Plus, there's little chance the remaining asteroid wouldn't then end up hitting us still regardless.

What has been proposed is using giant airbags with some method of thrust. It wouldn't take much force to move the asteroid laterally. Remember, everything is weightless. All we need is to slightly offset the incoming trajectory to afford a miss.

Why don't we just move the Earth instead

>10 years
If it's 10 years away then altering its trajectory the slightest bit will guarantee it misses us.
Launch a rocket up to a much smaller asteroid that's near its path and change its trajectory to hit the bigger asteroid and knock it slightly off course

>Build self-sustaining space station that orbit earth untill it's safe to go back
>Finish everything in time, only left to transport people there.
>Name it "Noha's Ark II" because reasons
>Launch of the "ark" set to 4 hours before asteroid hit to minimize resources used in the station
>There're ships in all the countries, enough seats and sustaining capability for everyone even in the space station
>Everyone still dies because ship failed to take off because automatic launch control got reset by windows update during the countdown and the remote launch control don't work because it relied on cortana to find C:/launch.exe

>also, SJWs were complaining about human privilege causing too much time to be wasted on the minutiae of saving black ants

>Asteroid about to collision to earth is announced by NASA
>Panic everywhere looting and killing
>President Gary Johnson calls the smartest man on earth Elon Musk to solve the problem
>SF team is called to retrieve Musk from secret location
>As they enter his home they realize the crunchiness from the floor is the whole carpet filled with doritos.
>If AI power is broadly distributed to the degree that we can link AI power to each individual's will — you would have your AI agent, everybody would have their AI agent — then if somebody did try to something really terrible, then the collective will of others could overcome that bad actor
>Eureka!!
>Elon concludes that our only hope is to build a rocketship and send the brightest mind to space
>3
>2
>1
>lift off
>Suddenly the ship erupts in a giant ball of fire with the lives of the greatest minds of the 21st century and Elon 'Brace for Impact' Musk.
>The explosion is so huge that it tears the earth in half.
>The asteroid passes through and Earth is saved
>God bless America and Elon Musk.

I really don't like thinking about these things.

Hopefully this puts your mind at ease.

youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I

>hurr durr muh nukes solve every space related problem like in muh moovies

Or you could just send a tiny drone to meet it halfway and push it a little bit to the side retard.

>How many nukes would you need?

Just a small engine actually.

>lets send a mosquito to move a whale off course

thats how you sound like right now

>I didn't finish high school and I know no physics, that's why I believe that a rocket engine pushing an object in the void is the same as an animal pushing another animal with a massively bigger inertia in a fluid that disperses the energy via friction. Also apparently I'm retarded and I don't know about force/time and I didn't even bother to at least play KSP to stop being so fucking ignorant.

You should go to a different board.

>implying the metaphor was intended to be that accurate to a tee
>i play KSP so therefore i am now a physicist

it's like you actually have autism or something

Anyone who likes these types of scenarios should read Neal Stephenson's 'Seven Eves'

Pretty much this but the moon and how hilariously unprepared we are for any sort of survival scenario. Then the Sci fi kicks in.

Scientists have been storing seeds, and more recently, DNA from various species in Doomsday Vaults for years.

accuweather.com/en/weather-news/nations-adopt-doomsday-vaults-svalbard-frozen-zoo-preserve-animal-plant-dna-freezing/53413098

>uhrr durg muh metaphors are not intended to be precise
>also I won't reply with any counter argument, I'll just resort to damage control and ad hominem because I need to save face on the Internet
>physics is only a thing of physicists
>implying that you're ignorant and consider physics to be some sort of mysterious and difficult thing

Also I would like to point that you can apply several rockets in different points to use the lever principle. Also there's the fact that since it's 10 years away there are two options: it either is very far away and moving very fast with a highly eccentric orbit around something that's not the sun, thus increasing the efficiency of the orbital maneuvers if done in the right direction; or it is closer and moves slower, meaning that it doesn't take that much energy to move it. You are a literal retard that doesn't even know about basic physics if you can't come up with this by yourself.

I probably wouldn't believe it

that's not even physics, that's just common sense. it's like you think you know something that other people do not

but you saying
>you could just send a tiny drone

is completely incorrect considering the size of it.

also considering the explosion wouldn't have much of an effect due to there being less medium in space, and that's assuming we can send a /drone/ (designed for atmospheric flight) 5 years out with the exact trajectory to knock the incoming death in the correct position. you're using physics where practicality is your major subject

where practicality should be considered* it's late

and travel for 3 years a twice speed than the asteriod, so they can have only 6 years to use plan A and B deploy and executed

>close proximity
>save as many people as we could

Define close proximity! If too close, then there's nothing we can do to save ourselves!

>explosion

What explosion are you even talking about? Read my posts again because I didn't say anything about explosions. You better not be memeing with the nukes again.

then what would the tiny drone do? that's our disconnect, then

take some pics of some space pucci

With 10 years they could land engines on it to nudge it.

It may or may not save us.

Man y'all depressing me. Are we truly fucked if such an asteroid was on course to BTFO our planet?

Are you all sure a bunch on nukes won't at least push an asteroid off course? I'm not talking about those baby ones we used in nip nong land, I'm talking about those new nukes more destructive than the tsar bomba being created in some government underground bunker right now.

Pro movie

>Are we truly fucked if such an asteroid was on course to BTFO our planet?

Pretty much. I'd bet if such a discovery is found (the incoming hit), the populace would never get to find out about it: ignorance is truly bliss.

tfw you cried when aerosmith started

AND I DON'T WANNA MISS A THANG

It's very easy granted we have at least a decade to prepare. It's trajectory can be altered easily by exploding nuclear bombs near it. Remember that earth is moving as well so you only need to slow it down or change it's trajectory slightly from far away enough for it to miss entirely. It's not the size that matters. It's having the time to prepare for it

source: near earth object simulations

Lets just take Earth and push it somewhere else!

I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION GUYS.

We'll just have NASA send a shuttle full of SpaceX-hired engineers and scientists, as well as all the materials they'll need to build their own rocket (for the return trip, obviously).
When they land on the asteroid they'll make their rocket.
At takeoff it will explode like the others, thus destroying the asteroid and saving saving Earth.

>It's trajectory can be altered easily by exploding nuclear bombs near it

No. This has already been discounted as not the best course of action.

universetoday.com/16066/bad-idea-blowing-up-asteroids-with-nuclear-missiles/

>saving saving Earth
I want to say that's a typo, but them not making it back will probably save us from something. That's double the saving.

Near it. Not directly hitting it with nuclear bombs. NASA's current acceptable action is exploding nuclear bombs near it.

No, that's their last line of defence. A last hope, if you will.

nasa.gov/nasa-edge/0710-planetary-defense

>we lived long enough to see a planetary defense force established

we really are in the future

Freeze Earth in a single moment in time held in a parallel pocket universe

do a barrel roll?

>and I didn't even bother to at least play KSP to stop being so fucking ignorant.
wew lad. Cred Forums logic in a nutshell.
>I played KSP, so I know all about physics!!
be an hero please.

I would say the same but realistically I would light up a blunt the cry about all my regrets

I bet if Russia and the US got back up to Cold War levels of warhead production, we could collectively nudge the asteroid out of the way.

Shoot it with arrow and bow
~poland

Shit 1000KM shit always fuckin with us.

I wish it would happen soon. The white race is doomed and at least this way the shitskins would go out with us, rather than taking over our homelands.

>1000Km
1Mm

here's your (you) just for trying

>I wish it would happen soon.
Even to yourself? Do you hate yourself that much but are too much of a pussy to but a 12 guage in your mouth?

Panic, rich big countries agree on a program joint program. We build rockets that assemble some sort of push rocket to nudge it's trajectory. If that doesn't work we bomb it with nukes to try and alter it's trajectory.

If that doesn't work we nuke it so many times until it's fragments that will do damage but only minor.

Maybe we start of with robots that attach solar sails to it first before trying to use rocket motors to nudge it.

Beyond that you build a few just in case bunkers and probably a just in case space station thats semi habitable.

Soon in the context of asteroids, i.e. on a cosmic time-scale doesn't mean next week. In a few decades would be ideal.

Not many

Cred Forums is surprisingly bad at figuring out the easy answer to this.

We'll use nukes, and detonate them within about a kilometer of the asteroid. This will flash vaporize the rock surface and the rapidly expanding gas/plasma will exert an immense force on the asteroid, changing its course.

In conjunction the satellite used to launch the nukes will itself exert a small gravitational pull on the asteroid, fine-tuning its trajectory over the course of a few years.

My question still stands. You don't seem to be too fond of the life you have right now but you're too scared to put a shotgun in your mouth and blow your brains out, correct?

How butthurt are you? I guess you're not white. You know that non-whites don't care about whites so why do you get so offended when whites don't care about you?

My race is irrelevant, why are you evading my question so much? Does it bother you subconsciously that much that you can't even answer it an an anonymous cambodian eggplant farming forum?

I'm pretty disappointed in you, you're either a woman or a man who can't get a grip on life.

If we had more then 10 years we could literally get a small asteroid near it with rockets and simply let the gravity of the small one change the course of the big one.

It's obvious that you are butthurt because your first reaction was to fiercely attack the character of an anonymous poster on an anonymous imageboard.

You didn't even make a point. Why would wanting to see an asteroid destroy Earth in one's old age imply anything about that person's life? He will die anyway, so what difference does it make if he dies from cancer or an asteroid?

Pretty interesting, desu

I don't wanna close my eyes

No need to destroy it.
It would make more sense to change the course of the asteroid and therefore avoid all the fragments that would hit earth if we would destroy it.

Or party like it is the last day on earth and pass out right before shit hits the fan.

>australia
we give tax breaks to corporations and mining and hope for the best

this .
Read Jerry Pournelle's " A step further out".
Even a slight nudge , at the right time, could divert an asteroid by a few tens of thousand km.

If the mosquito and the whale were in space and you had 10 years to work with then yeah, the mosquito would move the whale off course.

Take half of the world's nuclear arsenal, fire them all at the asteroid. The leftovers should burn up during entry

A prayer service.

That's like a third the fucking moon's diameter. What the fuck.

And then you'd start assembling the biggest explosives you can find, like nuclear warheads, and testing them out to see how effective they are at blowing shit up.
And then when the public start noticing these huge bomb tests and wondering what they're for, we'll fake a cold war and a nuclear stalemate, that way we can continue bomb development and tests without arising suspicions to their true purpose. Once we have an effective bomb, we'll attempt to destroy the asteroid.

Incase that fails, migration plan B will be our last hope.

Build extremely powerful nukes to alter its trajectory.

Soviet cold war remnant program that drunk ruskys forgot about automatically launches nuclear warheads at the US.

American defense program nukes Russia and Soviet satellites.

Everyone dies nine years before asteroid impact.

a better solution s to land rockets on it and thrust it outside trajectory bound for earth

there's more chance to get a jackpot on a slot machine than a doomsday asteroid to crash into earth while i'm alive.

Why even split the asteroid? You can detonate in close proximity to nudge it off course and hopefully into the sun\jupiter.

You know how you're always unlucky?

What will happen when we die then ?

You would have to divert its path, there's no other way.

If America was able to put a few dudes on the moon 50 years ago, there's no reason why all the world superpowers couldn't co-operate on a solution.

10 years should be enough time to get a few quantum thrusters built and launched and then attached to the asteroid.

In three years you can follow Saitama's routine and destroy a 1km asteroid. Make a thousand people follow the routine and there is your salvation plan.

Build an asteroid mover with orion drives and the current nuclear stockpile.

youtube.com/watch?v=BS3RIZt5OmA

>very close proximity to the earth in ten years with a high chance of impact.
That's not good enough.

The entire global population would need to be mobilized to start enriching uranium and building rockets. We'd launch craft in advance to try and move it probably with nukes as soon as possible. It's the most efficient response.

This. Its fucking basic.
Now, getting the Tsar Bomba 2.0 into space for starting the nudge is harder

Wait and see what happens.

>this is the average intelligence of a vir/g/in

Theoretically a 95km (60 mile) asteroid is all you need to end all life. A fucking thousand kilometre wide one could fucking destroy a hemisphere

>Remember, everything is weightless
you are fighting momentum not weight
momentum = speed * mass
we would need a huge weight to fly by it to pull it little off the trajectory
the bigger the gravitational force between the asteroid and the craft the higher the chances of success, but it would need bigger thrusters and more fuel to push against the gravitational force for longer

remember, mass != weight

We write a program that activates a million thrusters connected to the earth's surface, so we can tilt the Earth's axis in order for it to land in Canada where they take in the asteroid as a refugee.

It took only 100 replies for someone to mention this is on the wrong board.

Israel's entire arsenal

What we should do is play a huge trick on the rest of the Universe and only send the negroes to safety in the Ark.

first part of the book is great, the second just seems like he wanted to get the book finished compared to the stuff before it.

You guys need to watch Melancholia.

I'm no physicist, but wouldn't we be able to "stop" it by continuously blowing up nukes by its side (think project Orion), perhaps nudging it enough to miss Earth.

might be relevant youtube.com/watch?v=AJgEG6PXt3E

B-b-but wouldn't it be easier to train astronauts to be driller's????

>throw a moon sized object off it's course in ten years.

how many nukes would it take to significantly change the moon's orbit guys?

>Are you all sure a bunch on nukes won't at least push an asteroid off course?
I may be wrong but my understanding of nukes is that they wouldn't really work in space like they do on earth, the blast is the reaction of a medium such as our atmosphere to the nuke and not the nuke itself.

>
>>Are you all sure a bunch on nukes won't at least push an asteroid off course?
>I may be wrong but my understanding of nukes is that they wouldn't really work in space like they do on earth, the blast is the reaction of a medium such as our atmosphere to the nuke and not the nuke itself.

Take it from an OMG Consultant: ( Orbital Mechanics Group, Ames) We would need nukes in space to work like nukes in space, i.e. provide heat, vaporize rock, providing thrust from the expansion of gases...

The perfect scenario, blast and cleave in two, both go into opposite orbits around earth, meet at the other side, and obliterate each other, with a great show... showering the earth with nothing larger than 1m.

but of course... you need a few calculations besides bomb yield.

>how many nukes would it take to significantly change the moon's orbit guys?
All of them.
Hey... maybe that's why it's coming...

>How does your country respond?