/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Old_ThinkPad_Niches
libreboot.org/faq/#intel
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319687
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60
ebay.com/itm/12-Lenovo-X200-Tablet-Windows-7-2-13GHz-Intel-Core-2-Duo-L9600-160GB-HD-2GB-/112083004236
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T30
ebay.com/itm/OEM-IBM-ThinkPad-Lenovo-T60-T61-R60-R61-Z60-9-CELL-Battery-92P1134-92P1132-/161786677572?hash=item25ab3cc944:g:0OgAAOSwxp9W7yNf
doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/aaliens
i.imgur.com/OblCDoo.jpg
ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-T420-14-0-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-2520M-2-50-GHz-320-GB-HDD-4-GB-Memory-/381327064981?hash=item58c8dd3f95:g:mqsAAOSwMmBVomyd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

x201 master race!!

First for the ONLY master race - T430.
>i7-3630qm
>16GB
>NVS 5400m 2GB OC'd
>total 600GB of SSD storage
>1600x900 14" screen
>SC reader, EC port, backlit keyboard, 9cell battery + 9cell slice battery option
>capable of handling GTA V, fallout 4, FC4 and any other gaym
>yet, uses 90W PSU

Find a flaw, I dare you.

>trying to calibrate the pen on a first-generation Helix
I have a couple mm inaccuracy and no pressure sensitivity, and no fucking idea what to do.
I even installed a driver that worked for giving me pressure sensitivity on my last Helix.

Get outta here you dirty gook.

why my x201 only has a single-row enter key?

Are you serious? Are people really this stupid?

i've said it before but those "flappy paddle" trackpoint buttons on the X201 look so cute
ISO vs ANSI (?) keyboard layouts. In America, they're ANSI with single row Return keys, mostly in Europe it's massive two row upside-down L Return keys.
t. Brit

So what is this "real Thinkpad experience™"?

I'm planning to buy pic related because I'm on a budget and don't trust pajeets on eBay.

Laptops from after the T420 have chiclet/island keyboards, like the one in your picture. That one also lacks some of the hidden features like the ThinkLight (aka the single greatest invention of all time) and the roll cage.
Don't know where you live, but I've had zero problems with ThinkPad sellers on eBay.
If you're looking for low prices, iunno, look at the T400/X200.

>don't trust pajeets on eBay.
I trust retail and "real" stores less than the german ebay sellers, far better service in all aspects

also
>not having 4TB of mobile storage
Kek.

I have a T430 too, planning to do some updates
Can you post pics of the slice battery? I already have the 70++ (9 cell) battery

I want to hug that grill

>16:9
>Chiclets
>Intel ME backdoor

ME exists in all intel chips since 1st gen C2D you retarded dipshit
>16:9
Best aspect ratio
>Chiclets
Which can be replaced with classic keyboard from T420.

I just got a T410s for free from my uncle. I5-520m 4gb ram and a 200gb hdd.
Does /tpg/ know of any good ways to upgrade it?

Upgrade it to T420s?
T410s is too old to put money in.

Yeah i thought that would be the case.
I read that its too old to even support SSD's

It does support ssds... but it's still to old to invest in.
T420s is dirty cheap anyway.

What can cause i3status error "input in flex scanner failed"?

Absolute worst display ever. I can punch a random display and it will look better than that shit does

Better than stock 1366x768 in x230/t430

anyone got that rare pepe BIOS boot image
gonna use it for my t420

I got a t420 is a t430 a MUCH BETTER upgrade?

yes

I'm selling my Thinkpad T440s for 520€ (2200 PLN). I'm from Wrocław, Poland.

Spec: i5 4300U, 12GB RAM, FHD IPS display (under warranty until Mar 2017), 256GB SSD (Ocz Trion, under warranty until Feb 2019). 72Wh battery included (98% health) along with 23Wh "normal" battery. Internal battery is @ 88% health.

Laptop has a deep 1cm scratch on lid and a bumped corner.

Lenovo ultra dock available for 330PLN (76€).

Can ship to EU countries.

If you are interested reply to this post, I guess.

DO TELL MORE

t430 is a downgrade since it has shitty chiclet keyboard

Memeeeeeeeeeeeee

Not Upgrade is from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge obv, so a bit better performance and maybe higher efficiency, I can't really remember how much better.
The dedotated GPU option is reportedly much better than the T420 if that is your thing.
I read that a **20 keyboard and palm rest can be transplanted into a **30: thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads (wish I'd known this before going for my T420)

Lol, I'm the least gook person imaginable. I'd stick out like a sore thumb in Asian countries.

Look at the other keys!!

This is my first Thinkpad so I can't even compare!

I do every day, it's lovely (Just kidding tfw ;-;)

22nm litography instead on 32nm, 2,5x faster iGPU (HD4000), better battery life, backlit keyboard, USB 3.0, quad core CPU possibility (which won't overheat, like in t420) plus NVS 5400m2 2GB option (which is, again, about 2,5 times better than NVS 4200m 512/1GB option)

Wystaw na allegro, desu familia.

Already sold, sorry mate

He just told him to put it on a local auction site famalam

Yeah, I know. Ain't gonna put it up on Allegro when I've already sold it tho.

Looking at a 9 cell for my T420 should I go for it

If you feel like you need one, sure

I find the chiclet style keyboard a more enjoyable typing experience since it's spaced out wider and has a better tactile feedback. Though, I'm not a programmer. That's on a xx30 machine, I don't now about the newer ones.

Which (new) ThinkPad tablet is best?

Not really unless you want to play games on it.

>which won't overheat, like in t420
wut

>22nm litography instead on 32nm
22nm technology* not lithography.

The lithography is a bit thicker but they use multi-phase technology tricks to get it to a smaller focus

Who the fuck told you a T410s is too old to support an SSD? Mine absolutely flies with an MX200. The only issue is that you cannot get a standard size drive, you need an mSATA one and then you need to get an mSATA to 1.8" converter.

antergos is the fucking best distro for your thinkpad, no question

Is the t430 same as t420 that you have to have the nvidia activated to use the displayport?

t420 feeeel for the memeeee, I cleaned the fans and repasted it still these temps...

bump

I'm getting 40c with my quad core T420 at idle, dunno what to say.

Maybe you went full MSI with the thermal paste or something?

nah I just used a little bit...

Is (Ethyl) alcohol a good substance to remove the adhesive after I take off these labels and stickers? Just worried that the alcohol can damage the coating.

My local microcenter has a refurb T420 for $250. Good deal?

no check

specs?

And check , not all t420s are like yours.

It can damage the coating, be careful. I'd be more concerned that your serial number has been removed.

What happens if people see you using these in public? Are you mocked for being poor or what?

they see my ROLEX and they shut up,

Good question. I, too, would also like to know the answer to this.

i5 2.5GHz
Whatever integrated graphics
4GB RAM
320GB Hard Drive

I dont see why, they look very discrete and professional

Most people seem to be afraid of me in public, which is how I prefer it.

>Are you mocked for being poor or what?
One of my professors asked me once about my "old computer" and if it could even run virtual machines for that class. Opened speccy and showed him my T420 with a quad core i7, msata ssd + 2 hdds and 16gb of ram which was better than anything on that classroom, then he asked me how the fuck and where did i get such thing.

This happened in the third world though so instead of macbooks the majority has the typical 120gb ssd or 500gb hdd, 4gb ram and 1366x768 laptops.

>speccy instead of screenfetch
GTFO

hell no

I'd expect at least 1600x900 screen, dgpu, ssd and 8gb ram for $250

It came

Is this how life works out for you? You're out somewhere minding your own business and random people just take time out of their day to stop doing whatever they're busy with to mock you?

Should I install FreeBSD, or Fedora when I get my SSD?

Sorry user couldn't manage to get my eGPU setup fully working on Linux, had to edit xorg.conf every time i docked or undocked my Thinkpad.

Why not both?

>UNIX and GNU on the same drive

Doit faggot.

X201?
I need to keep my memes pure

In that case: Do you want to play any games at all, ever, aside from emulators? Linux. Otherwise, FreeBSD.

OwO what's this?

Cleaned the bottom of my x250 with it with no issues, so if it's the same material you should be fine

Just don't rub it too hard, be gentle

>Find a flaw, I dare you.
The 1600x900 14" screen is complete ass.

The keys are actually better. It's just the layout that's worse.

Also, you can just replace the keyboard with the non chiclet version no sweat.

The CPU is barely any faster. Negligible upgrade.
But, the iGPU and the NVIDIA dGPU options are quite upgraded.
Also, USB3.

Exactly the same otherwise really

>cousins need new laptop for school
>recommend them T420
>they constantly receive compliments about how good they are and how they were able to afford them (they are mint condition)

I thought everyone was a macfag these days and Thinkpads were regarded as dinosaur laptops.

T420 & T430 BOTH have to have the NVIDIA shit ON to use DP`?

Post temps! Mine are the same even without VB running

Yup. Rev up that VGA port.

are the temps the same on t430 as t420 ?

T430 seems decently cooler.

any EURO fag know a decent price for a t430?

The USB 3.0 is not really that big a deal since you can just get an Expresscard and plug it in. If you prefer the old style keyboard then it's worthwhile.

The Expresscard one has a fairly significant power draw though even when nothing is plugged in.

anyone know of memepad approved wireless mice for excel and other clicky programs?

What are some good (somewhat) light-weight distros for Thinkpads? Please don't give me the "you can run any distro just fine as long as you use it properly" answer, I just want some recommendations.

It's a laptop. Any mouse will work. Mouses don't really work better for one laptop compared to others.

Also
>not using the trackpoint
>using the mouse in excel instead of becoming a macro god

But there is no distro "for Thinkpads."

>Please don't give me the "you can run any distro just fine as long as you use it properly" answer
>Please don't give me the correct answer
Just use Ubuntu if you can't do this basic amount of research, because Linux will kick your fucking ass if you don't wise up and become happy with looking shit up on your own

Antergos as said

>even when nothing is plugged in
Is this a thing? Fuck

>go on ThinkWiki
>read about your thinkpad compability with Linux
>???

>using Firefox as browser
>sometimes it just jumps to whatever I have in my copy, be it a link or just searching for the random text
>why.jpeg

Running Mint on t410. Anyone experienced something similar?

not that user, but what do you lads think about manjaro?

Yup. Its cause the expresscard itself is plugged in and drawing power.

So if I open and disconnect it I will have considerable more battery time?

Mine does something similar where it goes to a page I've had open earlier that session. This happens when I middle click, can't figure out why..

Ok, you guys sold me on the ThinkPad but which one do I get?

Go to about:config and set middlemouse.contentLoadURL and middlemouse.paste to false.

What do you need in one? Price, size, performance, etc.? It's pretty difficult to go wrong with any of them, honestly.

What do you want and what is your budget?

>Missing HDD/HDD Caddy/Battery/Charger. SD card slot port dent. Some wear on top of laptop. Otherwise tested and working
>$200

Is this guy serious,for $250 i can get a fully loaded thinkpad with a 128gb ssd,8gb ram,battery and charger

Fucking ebay

Post your requirements, hardware requirements and budget first m8.

Thanks babe

Ez 99 ty jagex

it also generates a lot of heat, and it usually breaks after couple of months of use.
And you need to be extra careful when disconnecting devices

Xylene works pretty well if you've got some standing around.

X220 came in. Batteey looks decent. Going to try manjaro live USB to start

Why not Antergos?

Anyone having trouble connecting to wifi on any linux distro with T420?

I never had problems but now every distro I have tried either doesn't work or works sometimes and stays working.

xubuntu. worked then stopped
debian found but never connected
and other I tried.

But I have used multiple distros and same ones on this same laptop without any issue. the heck is going on
Windows works fine non stop

Try Mint

No. I'm not a noob to linux just saying legit having wifi issues when i haven't before. it connected on debian live for like 10 seconds then died. signal is strong and fine on windows and always was before on linux. wonder if some update messed something up. oh well windows works

that's on my list too. what do you use? which do you prefer?

My T420's hinges have been loose recently. I opened it up to tighten them but the screws are fucked, only managed to get one out and tightened. Any tips?

I'm currently waiting for my x220, but I don't use either one. I'm trying to decide which one of the two (or maybe even go with a 3rd option) to use. It seems like both are fairly good, but Antergos has better support for AUR, while Manjaro is somewhat more user-friendly.
I might go with Manjaro since it does come with most stuff I need anyway, plus lack of AUR is easily fixed.
I'm going to try out both in VMs while I wait. I doubt that I will find any major differences, though.

open up advanced view you illiterate homo

on the manjaro live usb now. so far pretty comfy. everything seems to work out of the box.

What is that the current Thinkpads are lacking that you guys like so much about the t420 and older models? Is it just the keyboard?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Old_ThinkPad_Niches

Is it worth paying $90 extra for X230T over X220T?

Not really, see and

it's all ogre now

Anyone here that has experience in hooking up an external GPU via an expresscard slot? I'm looking everywhere, but nowhere is reliable information.

hi there

Can you please link some of the stuff you bought in order for it to work?
I really want to turn this toaster into a somewhat capable gaming laptop.

I've had literally none of these issues with the USB 3.0 Expresscard that I bought for my T410 two years ago. Maybe try buying something that isn't complete chinkshit?

>Adapter: gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229102.html
>GPU
>Cheap noname ATX power supply
And a small DIY metal case for everything to fit there.

Wew
thanks!

Maybe stop being poor and get T430 instead of T410?

What do you guys think about ThinkPad 13? I'm choosing between it and X260/T460*. I want ips display and looks like recommended X220/X230 from ebay all have white spots problems with them.

Ask if you have any questions, i'm bored right now.

Which GPU have you bought?

The one i'm using here , a 950 is more than enough for my needs.

Also just noticed that i had the display at 59hz for some reason, wut.

Not a real thinkpad(tm)

OK.
Now, let's assume I want X260 or T460(s/p) with ips. How can I minimize the chances to get a panel with PWM flickering?

ah of course. Also, I've heard that using the expresscard slot limits the actual performance of the gpu, is that true?

Yes but it's only noticeable in benchmarks really.

looks pretty good tbqhfwyffz, as an X220 owner im thinking of getting a 13

T460 panels are all shit, not sure about X260

What kinda games do you play on it nowadays?

Only CSGO, WoT and emulators.

I just noticed my w520 was giving off a very light burning smell while it was on battery.
I put my nose directly against it and breathed in the exhaust air and the smell was still almost unnoticeable.
When I removed the battery and used it for a bit, it was gone. Also the battery didn't have any smell.
I might just be imagining things, but what if I'm not?

I just installed Arch Linux on my x230 and for some reason my upload speeds through my network are really inconsistent and seem sluggish. I peak at a 16mb/s upload however it keeps dropping down below 1mb/s and up to 3 at times but it'll peak right back up at 16mb/s...

Is there anything that I'm missing that I should do to stabilize this problem?

Found me a recycle one today, lads
380D coming through, does it work?
Excuse the shite camera

Every youtube video I can find for adding an ssd to a thinkpad t420 uses the optical drive. You can just use an msata in the back right?

Battery conformed for orange FU not chargin'
Powering on to test

nice

SUCES-Well fuck, I know what this means

C'mere you shite battery of almost 20 years

Yes, see He has msata ssd + drive and the cd drive which can be replaced for another drive.

Helloo, Toshiba rechargeable coin cell, welcome to your new home

what's the best software for checking the temperature for windows?

AND WE BOOT! And... well, lemme hit the "X" in the corner and uh, circumvent this shite

please die of actual death

Mmmm, setting bios settings within windows....
Have some info

I'm in /tpg/ right?
Good.

I just got a Thinkpad e460 and the click on the touch pad is absolute AIDS.

I'm had to deactivate it and am now using the track nub thing.

Why can't Lenovo make a fucking track pad that doesn't fail to register a left click 50% of the time?

hwmonitor

seems no one cares, continue falling until you reach the bottom of the stairs

Core Temp
Lead the way with your jelly
I'll be playing Rainbow Six on... what the fuck, MMX pentium 1

I care. Keep postan

.. I should have fucking known

your isos make me feel more than the hw, got lots of that

then again i barely play games i like let alone 1.5 decades old

At least it has the demo, it blasted guitar solo and smooth jazz at me, i believe right speaker is blown, a feeling that will never know

How do I check if my battery is malfunctioning?

is there any internet browsing history you can check?

Don't buy an E series next time.

It's a dentist's machine, no internet only Word docs about silly shit about teeth. I usually collect them to keep them as they are, it will be cleaned and taken care of, here it is hanging with the Toshibas. Not bad for a recycle pick

a huuuu qqqqq queue

my papa gib me an oldie thinkie pl0x love me Cred Forums

seriously die

Company laptop.

For my personal laptop I'm shopping for an MSI, Asus,TSeries.

Is the touch pad on the T series shit too?

Not refuting the never been blown part, eh?

are you asking me? i've had lips around my dingus i wasn't supposed to

>a huuuu qqqqq queue
>my papa gib me an blowie suckie pl0x love me Cred Forums

i know he did, but how are you trying to respond?

Why would I want to move to a laptop with the shitty reduced keyboard and the worst screen put into any device since the Macintosh Portable, especially when I can make one with a superior form factor functionally identical in all other respects?

It's not really only limited to the E series, my work supplied T540p has the same issue.

You might appreciate.

Likely the same shit touch pad in the T560

Are you serious? That's Chinks for ya. Way to skimp on a part of the computer the customer physically interacts with..

Makes me sick. I'm not an industrial designer but I'd be wise enough to put priority on things the people touch and look at. It's the easiest way to boost the user experience.

Isn't that Windows 98, not 95? IN 95 you just hit the X and it'll log in without a password. It was the "hacker" thing to do to school computers.

I'm looking to get something cheap that will last a couple hours. I'll be using it mostly for internet browsing, SSHing into my other machines for development, and maybe the occasional movie.

Do I get a T420 or an x220? Are these bad options? Is there a better option for a low price? If it makes a difference I'd like to run Cinnamon on it but i'd settle for MATE

Has anyone on a T420 gotten a system crash after a CPU upgrade? Just upgraded to an i7 and running it idle for a few hours but the screen turned black and the keyboard beeps on every stroke.

X200/220 sounds like the machine you want.

that's all I needed. Thanks.
Another question actually. Is the stock screen as bad as everyone says it is?

My i7 QM just worked, didn't have to reinstall the OS or anything.

Yeah it happened just this once. I'll banic when it happens again.

Not that user, but it's a matter of opinion.
I don't think that it's that bad, honestly. You could always upgrade it, and it's not that expensive either.

How hard is it to get Libreboot on a x230?

So anons, just got pic related for 82 bucks shipped (t430s). Everything works except for the t420s battery some fool put into the ultrabay. Is there anyway to get a t420s ultrabay battery to work in a t430s? I've already flashed the EC battery patch but nothing happend.

Fuck forgot to attach.

seems no one cares, continue falling until you reach the bottom of the stairs

So I "accidently" formatted my T420 hard drive with the lenovo drivers on it. At least I believe that's what happened because some of the hardware doesn't work anymore, like the wi-fi. Can I find the drivers on the lenovo website?

Impossible.
Firstly I don't think Coreboot has been ported to the T430 so that's a massive blocker, since Libreboot relies on upstream Coreboot ports to boards.
Secondly, post-2010 systems have an Intel ME that can not be disabled, unlike the X200/T400/X60/T60. See libreboot.org/faq/#intel

Yes.

If I get a x200 or x220 or t420, can I expect it to last like 3-4 years?

please respond, I also would like to know this

go antergos or arch anywhere, you won't regret it.

I've read the sticky, gone into looking at different Thinkpad options (both new and refurbished) and I'm still stuck so I'm looking for some help.

Background: Earlier this year (February I think) the screen on the laptop I've used since September 2013 got a crack while it was in my suitcase. It's an Ideapad Z580(I know...). I'm still typing this message on it now, because the crack (thankfully) was limited to the top left corner, which has leaked and so makes about an eighth of the screen unusable.

So here I am now, looking for a laptop that I can use for university, some light gaming (cs:go, EU4, 90s games, not expecting to play anything too new), watching movies, some programming probably and maybe some light movie/photo editing.

Laptop has to be no bigger than a 14inch display, would love for it to be up-gradable so as to make it as future-proof as possible.

The way I see it my best options would probably be:

1) Refurbished X230.
-I don't mind the newer keyboard, but don't like the limits on RAM placed on the newer X2xx models as well as the newer processors being the economical low power ones.

Drawbacks of the X230 are the price, since with upgrades to RAM and SSD I'm looking at around £450 for a laptop released even earlier than the one I'm using now. I'm worried that it won't be long before I'll need to upgrade anyway.

2) New T460p
- I like the new QHD screen, the dedicated graphics card, even though I think it uses the worse DDR3 instead of the DDR5 memory, is still a nice addition for any gaming I might want to do.
Problems with this one is that the top spec version with an i7 and dedicated graphics plus 16gb of RAM will set me back like £1200 so is a major fucking investment on my student budget and would probably mean that I won't be buying another one for at least another 4/5 years.

I'd like to know what you guys suggest, and if I've gotten anything wrong on anything as well, as that would be great to know before I decide to buy anything.

>looking for a laptop that I can use for university, some light gaming (cs:go, EU4, 90s games, not expecting to play anything too new), watching movies, some programming probably and maybe some light movie/photo editing
>Laptop has to be no bigger than a 14inch display, would love for it to be up-gradable so as to make it as future-proof as possible
T420 with dedicated GPU or T430.

Is $50 a good price for a used but close to new 6 cell slice battery? It has free returns .

Is it better to use Linux 2.x or 3.x on a x220? or does 4.x do fine? Mostly concerned about battery life

Also if any other info, preferences or habits are needed for you to be able to help me then please ask and I'll try to be more specific

Aren't the displays on those pretty shit? That's the main reason I've mostly discounted them, also the fact that they're pretty heavy.

>Aren't the displays on those pretty shit?
Indeed they are but they seem to fit better your other requirements (mainly future-proofing with an easy to upgrade socketed CPU and three simultaneous drives if you need storage).

>pretty heavy
not at all for me but that's subjective so whatever

>via an expresscard slot
What if you need usb 3.0 but also eGPU?

Dunno, i bought my chinese counterfeit 9 cell for $50 and works as expected with six hours of watching cartoons.

If you need both then you don't get a *20

Just bought a first gen ThinkPad Helix.

Genuinely excited to be part of the ThinkPad meme

Storage is not that big a deal, I keep most of my shit on external drives and a 1TB SSD will do me fine on a laptop which I can nowdays get using just one drive.

>>pretty heavy
>not at all for me but that's subjective so whatever

I just meant because they still have unnecessary CD-Drives etc, not as a dig or anything. For a university laptop I'd like to keep it as light as possible. Only reason I'm not considering a T460s is the shitty soldiered on ram and low voltage cpu.

I'll give your suggestion more thoughts though, and keep looking at finding a cheap T420/30.

>Helix
I think you'll be disappointed.

For what reason?

I understand nothing is easily upgradable on it but the long battery life and (hopefully) good build quality should make up for it.

>If you need both then you don't get a *20
So a "real" Thinkpad is literally useless shit, shipped with hardware-level rootkits, Intel ME, and all - got it.

Is the battery slice really bulky?

help plox

t410 is superior to t420 for screen ratio alone, practically the same in other regards, slap an ssd in it and enjoy

So can I reliably get an OEM 6 cell from ebay that's new? They are so damn expensive, but the chinkcell in my x220T doesn't do too well with web browsing.

How many hours do you get with your chink battery? I get about 3hours

x60 for libreboot, or x61 for slightly better cpu?

X60, the flash process is beyond easy.

I'm familiar with libreboot's flashing, but I dont know if it's worth it to downgrade, the difference in price is negligible, if not cheaper on the x61t (they're tablets btw) side.

Your decision, really. Do you value your freedom more than performance?

yeah, I kinda figured. I'll try to look up performance tests, I love libreboot (fuck that bitch tho), dont get me wrong, I just dont want it to be a pain to use.

>fuck that bitch though
Lmfao, acting like a """real""" girl on those hormones

What are the processor models you are comparing?

Dank Skwad represent.

nice sticker on the top one

I'm kinda just looking around reviews for x60/1ts, and it looks like the x60 benches pretty close to the t60 (sadly an amd motherboard, so no libreboot) that I am typing on rn, so I think I will go in that direction.

To answer your question though:
the x60t that benched close was a l2400
my t60's a t2400
x61ts are usually l7500s

Is this a mis-print? I thought x220 only came in 12.5"

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319687

T60p with ATI GPU you mean?

Overpriced. Yeah its misprint

No, some t60's (usually with the sxga screens) had shitty little radeons.
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60

On the topic of x60 cpus, are they soldered in?

Well allegedly mine is a chink 9-cell, but probably something like 2-3 hours depending on what I'm doing. Bought it hoping it would be like an OEM 6 cell (since they never made a 9 cell) but it's been disappointing in the past year

Yes.

what a drag, but I suppose it must be as this as possible.

thin, fuck

My x220 keeps turning the screen on and off , randomly beeping.and locking the session... I am going to try buying replacement monitor, but wondering if it could be something else?

try another OS

It happens before choosing OS, at BIOS startup screen.

What do you mean open? Just eject the USB3 card

should i buy dis

ebay.com/itm/12-Lenovo-X200-Tablet-Windows-7-2-13GHz-Intel-Core-2-Duo-L9600-160GB-HD-2GB-/112083004236

Well, you're bullshitting then.

Expresscard draws more power than native ports.

That is a cold hard fact.

Yes. Though it is SATA 2 speeds. Though that is still a huge boost over spinning rust.

Could just sell the battery and buy the T420s one. They're going for like $60 on ebay for either.

Recommend me something i can play on my x220

tux racer

I've always loved the simplicity of minesweeper

anyone?

Fallout: New Vegas

dear /tpg/,

I'd like buying advice. Facing some spare money over the past two months, I want to buy a thinkpad.
General purpose: browsing, safe storing of data, documents and slideshows, maybe the occasional movie.
I will settle with a Linux distro, to calm down my inner paranoid.
Being an avid typer and used to mechanical keyboards, from what I've read, the T420 is what I should be after.

I am now facing two questions/decisions.
The first, which I am almost decided on, is the cpu: an i7 seems greatly appreciated in this thread. The prices for those in online shops clock in at around 350€ as opposed to 250€ for an i5.

Secondly, GPU. Is the NVIDIA NVS 4200M really worth it? I've read in some reviews that some linux distros have problems with 2 graphic cards and mostly just recognise one. And since I am not planning on playing video games or theresorts, I dont think I would need it. (However, most i7 I came across are sporting the NVS).

I am not really experienced in laptops: so do you agree with my lines of thinking or am I about to make a mistake? Any other suggestions that I should look into?
(I am not tight on a budget since this will be my laptop for the next 4-5 years; so 50€ more or less doesn't really concern me; if it is of interest: location is germany)

So, tldr: is 100€ more worth for an i7 instead of an i5 in a T420?

Various 2D platformers
Killing Floor

X230 has a much better GPU than X220.

So it won't handle this gaym at 1366x768 and everything set to high at 60FPS, but you can drop settings to low/medium and enjoy the gaym on 30FPS. HD3000 isn't that shitty as 1st gen iGPU.

see this thinkpad on CL going for 30 bones. seller doesnt seem to know too much about computers, any idea on what model this could be?

Not worth it. It's a trash anyway.

Is it worth to upgrade from HD+ to FHD on T530?

The laptop will be mainly for 2D CAD use (I have beefy desktop for 3D).

Since I don't plan to play games on it, only movies and AC2014, I think that HD4000 might be a better choice than NVS. Am I right?

No, iGPU is shit and it fully depends on system RAM.
Get the NVS model.

why buy a t530 when what you are doing will probably perform just as well on a x230?
especially if you get a dualcore t530 without the nvs, then it's literally just a bigger x230.
IMO go for a t430 + nvs, then just turn the NVS off if you don't need it.
a t430 nvs isn't that much more than an hd 4000 only model, and it is guaranteed (to my knowledge) to have the 1600x900 panel which is nice and roomy for most things.

Looks like a T30. thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T30
Not good for much except for a collection, or if you want to use it as an oversized raspberry pi (media server, seedbox, etc.)

My w520 is currently STRUGGLING with all of my VMs running on it with it's hard drive only, and I just have a 64gb msata ssd lying around.
So my question is: should I just clone/reinstall windows 10 on there, or install some linux distro (probably ubuntu gnome, or fedora)
I primarily use this machine for vmware workstation 12 VMs (1 mac server, 1 windows server, and 4 linux servers) so should I just stick with windows which I know works, but will randomly reboot. or run linux on it where it will only reboot when I tell it to, but might not work as well as I'm used to.

>why buy a t530 when what you are doing will probably perform just as well on a x230?
Because I want that 15 inch screen. For now as temporary device I use T60p HD+ and started to like it, but it's just a tad slow.

I don't plan to carry it around, if I need drawings at construction site I have a Designjet for it.

By the way, company I work at burned through 3 laptops by bringing them to building sites (including my Precision M6400 with WUXGA screen. Fuck you Robert, I told you to not touch it, and you have done it anyway while I was away).

Is it possible to get a cheap thinkpad with better specs than this?

>a t430 nvs isn't that much more than an hd 4000 only model
Holy shit you're fucking retarded.
Show me a proof of HD4000 being able to handle BF4 at 1600x900 res and everything set to medium @ 30 FPS. I fucking dare you.

what thinkpad should i buy for my mom:
- doesnt have to be portable at all, will stand in one place
- has to run rather well (current laptop is some t5600 duo and 2gb ram pretty damn slow on w7)
- facebook/internet/photos
- as cheap as possible
- not slow, should last few years min.

Do they sell these with ÆOÅ keyboards?

>tfw finally have some cash to grab a refubrished laptop, but can't decide between x220, t420 and t430

Planning on putting some entry tier Linux like Ubuntu or Mint for educational/programming purposes and some minor gaming.

Not a fan of X220 screen size and looking through comments I think T430 would suit me more than T420, but I see people complaining about its keyboard. Any advice?

T420 w/ i5, 1600x900 128gb, 8gb ram for 150 euros or
T430 w/ i5, 1600x900 128gb, 8gb ram for 250 euros.

>decided to bring my X220 to uni rather than my Dell Precision
>upgrade to SSD + stick in 8 GB RAM

Max comfy reached

X230 or X220. vastly superior screen and same power in slimmer package than Ts

>same power
You can't have quad core CPU + nvidia GPU + 3 HDDs + screen bigger than 1366x768 in x220/x230. Try harder.

>Using windows 10

Fell for it... got my X220 today.
Wanted something smaller than my monstrous Elitebook 8560W to carry around with me.
Initial thoughts and comparison to my Elitebook 8560W:
OMFG TINY! I want to hug it and pet it. Maybe engage in a threesome. 8560W, me and X220 and upload it to redtube under the name 'Tiny black teen gets double-tagged'.
At the very least try and get some good pics of 8560W, X220 and gf's MBP and play computer-sex till she starts yelling at me.

Maintenance: The Elitebook (EB) wins by a landslide. On the EB it's just sliding off the back cover and you have access to RAM, HDD, mPCIE ports etc.etc. On the TP a few screws to be removed for that.

Keyboard: feels better on the TP. Different layout will take a little getting used to though.

Clitmouse: tied so far. Haven't used it enough to make a qualified judgement yet. Shape of the nub itself seems to matter a lot (more than I expected) as to how it feels to work with.

So far only just checked if it worked, what HW was in it and gave it an internal cleaning + re-pasted it.
Next up is digging through my box with hardwareparts and find an SSD and some RAM.
Then
>install gentoo
... or just some other comfy Linux. Speaking of which... anyone who can recommend a good DE for the small screen of the X220 where (especially vertical) space is precious?

Give i3 a try. It might not be what you're looking for, but it's light and even default settings are made to use the entire screen.

If I want to use my thinkpad for gaymen with an egpu, should I keep an i7 with a higher cache but lower max freq, or an i5 with lower cache but with higher max freq? Thanks in advance.

Kernel series don't differ in power usage, only by age. Don't even bother trying to use 2.x kernels from the dawn of the century, please.

Lads,
I know it's not a ThinkPad but I've found an E6420 in good condition on eBay for the equivalent of $110 (£85). No USB 3, but I can get a USB 3 expresscard.
Should I cop it?

What should I use instead? Care to elaborate?

Is the i7 a dual-core part?

No. Latitudes are SHIT.
Enjoy your dead battery after 100 cycles with no ability to reset the capacity counter.

do you not know how to read or something
I was talking about the price
a t430 with nvs isn't that much more money than one with hd 4000

my friend got a used e6430 for a few years and it was a damn nice machine
I'd imagine an e6420 would be also be amazing.
none of my latitudes have ever had battery problems at ~100 cycles
maybe you should stop buying chink batteries?

Then be more specific you dumbfuck.

Nothing in that post suggested he was talking about performance. Stop sperging out every time the T430 is mentioned.

I'd definitely buy a *30 over *20 but my love for the classic keyboard is bigger

Stop being so aggressive, Moshe.

You can have both.

Fuck me lads I got a refurb T430 for ~180 quid with a 3rd gen i7 and I'm loving it.

Threw Arch on it, now to decide what wm I want.

This thing's comfy af.

I bough mine over a year ago before the EC patch came out

So sell it away and get *30?

I'm in university right now. Also I'm from Europe and there's isn't a really big market for ThinkPads

Has anyone had their x220 show a black screen (no backlight) after boot? The screen simply stopped working.

I'm also from Europe and I'm changing my thinkpad every 3 months. Kek.

where do you find theme, I amalso from EU and the prices are insane here...

Check out your local/national version of Craigslist.
Browse hardware forums where people buy and sell hardware/computers.
Works for me here in Denmark.

>Check out your local/national version of Craigslist.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about...
I got my T430 (with nvs 2GB) two months ago in Poland for $250.

What's the lightest yet still user friendly distro for a T42. Is Lubuntu the best bang for the buck?
The person is coming from XP and isn't tech savvy so I'm looking for something windows-like.

ebay.com/itm/OEM-IBM-ThinkPad-Lenovo-T60-T61-R60-R61-Z60-9-CELL-Battery-92P1134-92P1132-/161786677572?hash=item25ab3cc944:g:0OgAAOSwxp9W7yNf
>$13.50 OEM 9-cell t60 battery
>latch missing
is it worth it bois?

Left my X201 and came back to it half an hour later.

When I got back and opened it it said 'missing operating system'

So I just booted it up again and it's fine.

What happened?

It clearly hints that you should install something better.

I'm thinking about doing it right now. W10 sucks, there are some strange issues with the CPU.

Do it, there's no reason not to. Just shrink it down so that you have Win if you would need it at some point..

I'm a CS student who needs a new laptop, I'm thinking about a T420 or a T430 and putting an old keyboard in. Any opinions on that?

Also where do you get the laptops from in the UK, eBay is expensive and has very little sellers from the UK.

Doom 2 with megawads

Really comfy to play on the trackpoint

>HD4000
>CAD use
No, CAD and shit is literally the reason the NVS and Quadro variants exist

how do you flash the mod?
and how many times are you going to repost that same image?

where to get this noice wad

Does it have thunderbolt 3? I want to upgrade be able to slap a graphics card when I'm home and play videogames

>laptop released in 2012
>having thunderbolt 3
>before 2 was even out
what do you think?
I don't even think the t460 has thunderbolt 3, or hell thunderbolt at all

It's called Ancient Aliens

On /idgames/ probably

Recommend to use ZDoom or Eternity for this wad

doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/aaliens

Other highly recommended wads:
>Valiant
>Back to Saturn X 1 and 2
>Going Down
>UAC Ultra

No Thunderbolt, but it does have Expresscard 2 which can do the same thing

i.imgur.com/OblCDoo.jpg

Should've researched the date. Anyways I usually last 6 years with a laptop so I always buy the most up to date models with the best processor possible.

This thunderbolt 3 thing allowing for graphics card is huge for me. If I buy the best processor possible I could last much longer with it.

Fascinating. I will see what is the latest model to have an express card 2 and see if it's reliable. Thanks for the intel

eGPUs aren't new at all. They've been around for at least ten years, probably even longer than that. Thundermeme 3 is just the first time the tech is receiving mainstream attention.

It works fine, it's only really a bottleneck if you want to output to the internal laptop screen, but goes out to an external monitor no sweat

The best card to use is one that doesn't require extra power pins so you don't need an extra power supply to drive it

Yes.

>>capable of handling GTA V
Define "capable of handling"

Isn't the limited bandwidth a problem with more modern gpu's? I'm reading it's on par with pci express 2.0 bandwidth at most while modern gpus are in pci express 3.0

Not really. Like I said the bandwidth is only a concern if you're outputting to the internal screen.

Unless you write very long lines of code get yourself a non-16:9 monitor laptop

I'm pretty sure that he's the same tard that runs gta 5 on high settings.
and even on my t430 with an nvs 5400m I barely got 30-40 fps on all low settings (before this piece of shirt started throttling) and it was 100% a gpu bottleneck
I think before he said he was fine running games at 30 fps, but on high settings I think it was 30 fps on average, with lots of dips below.

Hmm, but why is that? Why does the internal monitor suffer but an external one runs better?

Hey looking to get a new laptop to replace my old yoga. I use it mainly for school and the occasional gameboy emulator. How is this one? Note im technologically retarded whats the best way to learn more about computers?
ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-T420-14-0-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-2520M-2-50-GHz-320-GB-HDD-4-GB-Memory-/381327064981?hash=item58c8dd3f95:g:mqsAAOSwMmBVomyd

that's a bit pricey for a base model t420
don't buy refurbished unless you want to get jewed.
just buy one that's used and fully functioning.
Also make sure you get one with the dgpu so you make sure to get the 1600x900 screen

What is the best shop to buy thinkpads in the netherlands (or europe in general)?

Because video data takes a fuckload of bandwidth. External one runs fine because it's going through a medium to the monitor specifically made for the data. But to go to the internal monitor it has to go through the Expresscard/PCI lanes into the iGPU which is what hogs all the bandwidth.

I can recommend

New thread:

good job

/tpg/, my W520 seems to be really slow. Just general browsing and shitposting in Firefox is kind of laggy and sends the 2720QM up to ~3 GHz and about 75 degrees operating temperature in an air conditioned house. While I get that Windows is going to sap performance, it quite often ends up feeling slower than the (Linux-powered) X200 I use for travel.

Any clues on what might be happening?

What are those laptops on the left

>Any clues on what might be happening?
>browsing

Found the cause. Webpages are awful these days.