What sort of jobs do you degree-less people actually have?

What sort of jobs do you degree-less people actually have?

I have a BSc in CS from a top tier university and at every place I've worked at I am the least qualified person around. Just about every other software developers is an engineer or otherwise MSc.

Note: not talking about code monkey jobs (where your title is "programmer" and you make apps or stupid shit) but being hired as a software engineer

Other urls found in this thread:

gputechconf.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>he thinks there's a difference between software "engineering" and being a code monkey

Software "engineer" with a MSc in CS and 5 years experience here. You're wrong. All software development is basically code monkey work, you're just doing it at different levels.

If you've never seen the difference your post is either bullshit, or you had the same garbage job for 5 years.

Time to upgrade.

Been working on an ERP system, now mostly doing maintenance for an ancient CMS.
At the same time trying to get out of webdev and transition into embedded or systems.

>not talking about code monkey jobs
>software engineer

>If you've never seen the difference your post is either bullshit, or you had the same garbage job for 5 years.
I've had 3 different jobs, the current one is as an embedded developer and it is definitively the worst of the lot.

Programming for a living is menial. You think you're some kind of hot shot because you you don't know any better.

Actually, I've had 5 different programming jobs if you count part-time jobs and internship too.

Why must your life be your work, and little else?

>work average for 6 hours per day
>no wear on body
>already earn more than people outside the tech industry who are close to retirement

Not the person you asked, but:
Because I'd want to buy a flat sometime in the future and the prices over here are so ridiculous that even with IT wages the monthly salary is barely enough to buy 10 square feet.

no degree here
i make parts for space ships
$25/hr

If you think "earning more money" means that your job isn't menial, then you're horribly deluded. The reason your job is so well paid is because there aren't a lot of people willing to do it. It's the same reason why garbage collectors and firemen are paid relatively well.

I only have a Bachelor of CS and no one has ever given two shits about my degree. I spent a decade in games and last 6 years in embedded. There is no correlation between level of degree and level of competence.

That guy who keeps saying all programming jobs are the same is braindead (and working at a braindead job).

But not having a PHD makes dating harder.

Yeah, like I'm going to take someone >35 years and still posting memes on Cred Forums alongside teenagers and underaged kids seriously.

You lost at life, user.

Degree-less faggot here.

I build/expand networks spanning the UK for the government, I don't work directly for them though.

Sometimes the work is fun but mostly it's bullshit, welcome to reality.

Studying for CISCO tickets atm and deciding what my next move will be.

My excuse is habit. I've been here since the very beginning. I didn't give you any advice to take.

I am a software tester and on top of ungrounding a lot of bugs I also occasionally script shit and make minor risk-free fixes on the software.

I think this is the best job I could ever land.

babby developes data entry software and thinks he knows what software engineering is about

Try making vector and 3D animation tools.

>risk-free fixes
famous last words

What are you implying?

>Software engineering
>Menial
What about if you actually take pride in your work, and study algorithms and data structures in your spare time?

no such thing as a riskfree fix

Other things that don't exist:
temporary fix
hard deadline
portable code
standard compliant

You can't actually be enjoying your job. That would mean all the code monkeys who went in CS because they sucked at everything else might have gone the wrong career path.

I just mean that I don't make changes to compilable code because that's way beyond my competences. And I don't have a license for the IDE on my machine. I tweak or make scripts and shit.

I'm an embedded developer and make firmware for IPTV network probes that analyse network traffic and video content.

Stop projecting.

>What about if you actually take pride in your work
It's menial. Everything is about customer satisfaction and making the most money by releasing buggy and shitty software too early.

>study algorithms and data structures in your spare time?
I have a MSc and wrote my master thesis about a topic in formal logic and algorithms.

I'm seriously considering going back to do a PhD instead.

Babby develops embedded firmware for a multimedia and network micromachine and thinks he knows what software engineering is about.

Okay I'm just being a shit now. But to be fair, your job requires high level code monkeying but it is not software engineering. What you're doing has been done before, you only need to learn how to do it, not to invent it.

Mate my degree isn't even in IT of whatever.

I'm a structural engineer, designing fancy pants houses, stair cases etc. for the rich and famous, and high rises for developers.

Why anyone would go into IT is beyond my comprehension.

>But to be fair, your job requires high level code monkeying but it is not software engineering
My point is 99% of programming jobs require code monkey skills.

>What you're doing has been done before, you only need to learn how to do it, not to invent it.
How does 3D visualization software differ, exactly?

>No CS degree.
>Masters in useless art field.
>Happen to be good at computers by chance.

>Study my shit
>Became Penetration tester
>Hack all the things.
>Code fast loose and hard.
>Slam out ASM cause' I have to.
>No C# cuck programming.
>See all the cool shit.
>Being happy, paid, and laid with no degree.

I can't give you too much detail, but let's just say most companies that make the major software in this field have their own innovations and some of them are mesmerizing.

I have a friend who's a structural engineer working for some infrastructure company that specializes in (among other things) bridges.

He's telling me that it's a menial job, for most parts you just use standardized formulas and type them into pre-made MATLAB programs, and painstakingly go through forms and schematics to look for errors.

The most exiting part of his job is to quarrel with architects who want to hide wires and reinforcement beams in a certain way and send emails back and forth with them.

A lot of you seem to be using "Software Engineering" as byword for "Gang of four Design Pattern Java/C# Cuck"

Am I wrong? Your designs patterns aren't as clever as you may think...

You don't generally see StaticAdapterControllerFactoryInterface in the Kernel of any operating system. Just saying.

I also do embedded and you're both concentrating on the wrong angle here. Any field is boring when you're starting out as a grunt. Give if a few years until you make senior and get to make high level decisions and design and solve original problems rather than just implement shit decided for you. If you're already senior and all you do is write code than jesus you have a shit job. Or you're just shit and they don't want you making decisions.

I can say this about our product too, but you and I both know that shit is bullshit market speech

My Hello World app is only 40 mb in size. Fuck you.

It is true in the case of the product I work for.

Do you work for Sky?

QA for large tech company
60k/yr and in an area with reasonable cost of living..

Well, I work at a small company and I'm one of seven devs, so I do have a great deal of autonomy and make decisions for the project I'm in entirely in charge of the firmware project (the company makes software for servers too) and boss around two "junior" developers (we don't really have senior/junior distinction, it's just what responsibilities you have and the salary you earn).

I tell you, it's menial. Anyone thinking that a development job is fun and innovative is either full of shit or is some manager who doesn't even understand half of the technology stack.

No, but we have Sky as one of our customers. We're a standalone company.

I don't believe you. Nobody says "our product [leads to mesmerizing results]" non-ironically.

That's because you work in an industry that's cynical by design. I work on fucking animation software.

If you're at the top of the software dept. and you're saying that all you do is shit codemonkey work there can only be two reasons for that:
- the problem you are solving is trivial beyond redemption
- you are a shit engineer and fail to come up with innovative solutions and just keep hammering at the code like a monkey with a stick

My money is on the latter. I pity the poor engineers below you.

>I work on fucking animation software.
You say this like you actually believe your industry is any different. I've gone to GTC and other similar conferences, I know the kind of people who work in animation. They're either delusional designers or emasculated programmers.

You're just being delusional about your own line of work, user.

Also, our company has a total of 19 employees.

Oh yeah you know the entire animation software industry based on your listening to speeches by spokespeople at conference.

Spending your days coding jew-patented DRM must make one really bitter. I'm sorry your life sucks so much that you gotta pull people down with you.

Yes, you go to "GTC" so often you can't even spell GDC.

I think you're confabulating a lot.

Animation guy.
Complaining about drm.
Mfw

gputechconf.com/

>animation
>"DRM sucks"
Are you being ironic?

Also
>DRM
>network and video streaming
Are you being ironic? Are you confusing DRM with royalties and patents?

I'm a contracted Air Traffic Control systems/Radio systems engineer for the FAA/DoD and other branches of the US Govt. I'm making $55K/yr and travel CONUS and OCONUS. It's a pretty sweet deal and I get to go to some cool places.

TV boxes are usually made to prevent being used with pirated content or to pirate content.

I'm not taking a jab at DRM, I'm just implying your job must suck because it probably involves working on DRM.

Good engineers who enjoy their work will infuse innovation into the most menial problem. Shit engineers will just keep bruteforcing every problem and complaining how boring their job is. I'm sorry you hate your job you're shit at. Maybe change professions.

>TV boxes are usually made to prevent being used with pirated content or to pirate content.
I'm not making a TV box, user.

>I'm not taking a jab at DRM, I'm just implying your job must suck because it probably involves working on DRM.
As I said, we analyse network traffic and video content (as in, join a multi cast group and extract MPEG audio and video from MPEG video streams). It's not much DRM involved, but there are licenses involved.

>infuse innovation into the most menial problem
Spoken like a true middle level manager.

>work is menial
>solution is to over engineer everything

This. There are some lazy motherfuckers where I work with degrees and the constantly bitch and moan "I could be making more money doing this mundane shit somewhere else" where someone like myself will have more value to a company/organization for moving forward and not letting a small problem completely stall progress. A lot of college graduates are taught to focus in on small details instead of the bigger picture of WHY they are doing what they are doing.

>good engineers infuse innovation

No degree here, live in Texas. I make plastic pellets at an extrusion plant with a title of "machine operator", i make 21$/hr and im 19. Decent money for now, but thinking of joining military for free education.

>instead of the bigger picture of WHY they are doing what they are doing
Oh but I know why my position exists: to brig more advertisement revenue to a foreign newspaper/magazine company.
I couldn't fucking care less if a newspaper company closed in a country 500 miles from me.

>No degree
>$21/h is """""decent"""""" for a 19 year old
>Thinking of getting on the welfare queen 2.0 with guns program to avoid having to take any responsibility for my life
millenials everybody

i'm a mail man, it's decent i guess

being outside everyday is nice for me

I was Navy and I'm not going to tell you not to join a branch of the military, but I will tell you it sucks if you get stuck in a rate/MOS you don't like. Once you seal the deal, you either have to finish up with that job until your re-enlistment period comes up to cross-rate/MOS or live with it. Cross-rating/MOSing is very rare unless they are really close to eachother in basic function. For example, it's very rare the Navy will cross-rate a cook into a communications/engineering rate.

If you like freedom to move around, stay civilian. Trust me, you're not missing anything except the hollow "Freedom! USA USA USA!" shit your commanding officers push on everyone on your boat and when you take leave you're like "fuck I hate this bullshit."

>changing goal posts

>Became Penetration tester
Following in your mother's footsteps

lol

There's nothing wrong with joining the military. It will train you better than your parents ever did.

I don't understand what you're ridiculing.

lol good enginers wear geox shoes + white socks. thats it

r u mad cos u didnt have sex the 4 years u were studying cs on a mediocre uni? lol

I went to school to take a bachelor insoftware engineering, but droppd out because I was offered a good payed job as an software engineer in a global company. I only got a high school diploma...

Associate degree in Geomatics

Working for some chink company, building public infrastructure (bridges, roads and shit) in Uganda

Why is Non so slutty?

I want to fuck her ass so badly

software engineer in aerospace manufacturing.

fukn ge90 meng

You wouldn't.

Database """engineer"""

It's okay, I guess. Might get a degree later on though and transition into management.

it must take some high level engineering to name your table columns properly

Yeah, it's pretty stupid, but I didn't name the position. At least it looks fancy on Linkedin.

>Infrastructure
Yes it's menial.

Luckily I'm not in infrastructure. I'm the guy they ask to design 12m tall glass apple store-esque boxes.

Someone has literally called me a structural gymnast before.

Feels good.

There's a skills shortage, not a degree shortage. Get some actual marketable skills. There's more money in the trades than IT. The 3rd bubble is bursting soon.
>muh do regular stuff but on a computer/app companies full of pajeets.

Get into aged care. The aging population full of rich white old people is ripe for the plucking. In the next 10 years all the boomers will be wearing diapers that need changing, and they're fucking flush enough to get someone to do it for them.

i'm a mailman
like it so far, decently paid and with heavy excercise

This nigger doesn't even know high level vs low level. Embedded is on the low end retard.

grocery store..

Help text fix.

Longer string brings build over memory budget
or
Line doesn't fit on the button any more
or
text disinforms and causes user to take wrong action
or
illegal character causes unpredicted behaviour

I'm hungry I'm fool. I have no job atm.

I went to college for three years, got hired by a web dev company in school so I dropped out and stayed there for a year. Over time it became less code monkey stuff and I felt like more of a creative influence. I went from doing Angular stuff to Node, then back to client side work making graphical juiciness in html5, since I was good with shaders.

After that I got hired by a game dev company, now I'm making VR games full-time. I'm definitely a huge creative influence there, so I don't always feel like a code monkey.

My bosses are way smarter and knowledgeable than I am, I feel like I'm Always playing catch up. I don't really think getting s degree would fix that but I have considered going back and finishing.