What went wrong?

What went wrong?

It died

HTML5 took over

Everything

Bloat

we just getting started

adobe

it should finally be dead by the end of this year but the last remaining sites using it will only be camwhore sites

>not a standard
>needed to install a plugin
>security issues
>proprietary

This

10 years from now I can see flash being the most popular multimedia platform

/thread

>Bloat
You wish. I can't really recall any situation in which bloat was the actual reason for something to die.

apple

>>proprietary
This mostly.

What better way to encourage developer adoption then put it behind a paywall.

I used cracked versions as a kid to fiddle with it and ended up not accomplishing much, but that alone is a good example. Apply that to any start-up of the time wanting to jump on the fad of super cool interactive online medium with an upfront cost, and that's not even with licensing.

HTML5 can do all if not more than Flash now and there's no strings attached, just fucking go.

What about the nostalgia of it though?

I have adobe's standalone player for those times.

Not letting Flash back into my browsers again.

>tfw /f/ destiny is doom

I don't see the reason why it existed. Video playback is as much as I need, and any canvas bullshit or whatever is pointless.

Also, I hate Adobe, because their software is garbage.

>I don't see the reason why it existed
Are you underage?

Bloated javascript and html5 took over

Apple.

Do you need flash just to play back videos?

Web doesn't need to be interactive.

>Also, I hate Adobe, because their software is garbage

t. Disgruntled Poorfag Gimp User

Flash became popular back in the day when internet was slow as fuck and a typical user was connected through a 56k modem.
So when flash came with its lightweight vector-based web animations it stormed the market. Remember Newgrounds?

I tried using Adobe Photoshop multiple times, and I prefer GIMP unironically. Also, I value my freedumbs, so anything from the GNU project is automatically better for me.

It's either shitty animations or games running on a trojan called Adobe Flash. Maybe the time spent working on Flash could've been spent on developing better video codecs.

>better video codecs
>56k
Riiiiight.

Absolutely proprietary

>Flash is just a streaming video player

I'm so sick of you faggots. Flash is a comprehensive animation and scripting platform accessible to both amateur and professional animators, artists and programmers. It's an extremely versatile platform to explore your creativity in both visual arts and application development. Just because HTML5 makes Youtube and Xvideos less bloated doesn't make Flash obsolete. Flash was never meant to be a pre-rendered video player in the first place. That feature was added to it as an easy way to fill an unoccupied market and it was destined to be replaced by something better.

Give me one comprehensive vector animation and scripting software that outputs HTML5.

Well maybe you should animate and fucken render it into a video??

We're not in the 90s anymore, there's no reason to distribute animations as raw vector calculations/keyframes

Do you like vector animations so much? Store them as videos. Adobe Flash is shit because it wasn't multiplatform, and it isn't free. There were other things you could've done back in the dial-up days.

SVG?

What I'm saying is flash was an early response for a need of video on the internet, long before it was actually possible. It established it's position, especially after it became the de facto standard for ads. So after the video container was added it was natural that if we want everyone to be able to view our video we should use flash. I think the main reason it finally died, as it should, was thanks to Apple (as some user has mentioned)

>Do you like vector animations so much?
I don't. You asked why it existed and I answered.

But flash is just a player. Most streaming sites use standart mpeg files in an mp4 container.
The reason it was used for so long because browsers didnt support fucking video playback

kys

Have you ever used Adobe Flash, the actual software that makes Flash movies?

So is Flash dead or not? I'm wondering I should bother learning it

its now called animate

Where can I get this?

Where you can get "this"? You're asking where you can get an Adobe Creative Suite application? Gee I don't know dude. No one ever managed to get their hands on this rarity.

Any excellent idea will die when it is as poorly executed as this. Adobe does not even know how to spell security.