Will we ever see a Windows OS as iconic and honest as XP again in our lifetime?

Will we ever see a Windows OS as iconic and honest as XP again in our lifetime?

Sure it had its flaws, but at least it wasn't a bloated, tile infested, candy crush loving piece of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp/
computerworm.net/gold-xp-2016-v2
floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
my.mixtape.moe/ogydut.png
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/56646782#p56655295
sigchi.org/chi96/proceedings/desbrief/Sullivan/kds_txt.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

b-but it's not secure user

That's what we say in retrospect.
At the time it sure felt very bloated to me, coming from win98se
I even switched to windows 2000 a couple of times, but eventually machines became powerful enough that xp ran fast.

>but at least it wasn't a bloated, tile infested, candy crush loving piece of shit.

Nigga, were you even out of diapers when Windows XP first came out?

unfortunately, no

software will only become more bloated as time goes by and hardware becomes more powerful

7/Vista.
Also yes, it was bloated, everyone hated it and its new start menu until SP3.

No. Give up on Windows.

isn't there a secure version?

>everyone hated the start menu
>It was bloated
Yeah but not even at 10% of the level that recent windows releases have been. Windows store, paid solitaire subscriptions, the fucking windows 8 start menu... XP was a fucking angel compared to this.

daily reminder that microsoft actually released this and thought it was great.

But XP WAS an ugly, bloated pile of shit and the Luna theme is fucking disgusting.

Win2k was the last iconic Windows release.

How would XP have gone down if they stayed with the old gray windows style from 95-2000? (also 3.1 if you count that but it's a bit different)

Lmao kids these days romanticizing XP like it was a good OS.

You couldn't even go online with an unpatched install due to some zero day malware that everyone got and made the machine auto shutdown after 30 secs.
It looked like shit
It was the first Windows version to feature 'casual friendly' default settings that made it a chore to use
It still had Internet Explorer tightly integrated into the system and even if you didn't actively use it you were exposed to numerous exploits

Fuck XP and fuck you for thinking it was any good

It would be seen as an old and quaint 90s throwback against OS X's sleek, futuristic, "lickable" Aqua theme.

Luna and Aero are Microsoftian ripoffs of Apple's aesthetic in an attempt to stay relevant.

>it looked like shit
Yeah I really missed my plain green win95 background and grey shit everywhere
>there was a problem and they patched it
ok
>casual friendly settings
What the fuck are you talking about?
>IE tightly integrated
IE is still a piece of shit, it's been hated forever for a reason

>Yeah I really missed my plain green win95 background and grey shit everywhere
Yes?

I think you're forgetting this wasn't current day it was over 10 years ago. People were just getting into shiny year 2000 stuff and hating on anything that looked old.

You'll fit right at home in our retro circlejerking threads. more of your post was hating on modern things instead of saying how supposedly good it was. you'll find that this isn't about the OS but your inability to accept anything new, so you have become your grandma but just for a different decade

>Luna and Aero are Microsoftian ripoffs of Apple's aesthetic in an attempt to stay relevant.

And Windows 3.1-2000 were ripoffs of the classic Mac OS aesthetic. They even got Susan Kare to design some of the icons.

There is no "iconic" Windows because they all just poorly mimic Apple.

I have to agree, Windows 2000 is the best OS released by Microsoft.

They could have stuck with this.

Ehh, I'm not saying windows 10 isn't more aesthetically pleasing in a lot of ways, but there's a reason there are still millions of people using XP.

Because it works with the professionnal application it's intended to run, and because upgrading to a more recent OS (even 7) would cost a lot and be a pain in the ass to make it work properlly (since we're talking about domains of tens of computer)
It has nothing to do with the quality or the performances of the OSes

7 comes close to it. But MS is actively trying to curb a long lifetime like XP had.

nostalgia is the cancer killing the internet

>as iconic and honest
It was bloated compared to 98 and it kept track of the files I used and directories I opened which creeped me out.
I hated XP when it came out, but I realize for a lot of Cred Forums it was their first OS and they feel nostalgic for it.

That is how a tablet should look.

On retrorespect XP looked like shit.

Not the first OS I used but the one I used extensively as I got into computers (my first forays into programming were using XP and Excel 2000 VBA because I didn't know better at the time).

True, except for Windows 8 and 10. Now MS is leading the design trends.

Microsoft's desktop and MAC os desktop behave completely differently (right click?????)

Microsoft's start menu, task bar and system tray are nothing like mac OS launch bar.

Nobody but ultra normies used the shitty default theme.

>You couldn't even go online with an unpatched install due to some zero day malware that everyone got and made the machine auto shutdown after 30 secs.
then patch it you fucking retard???
and use common sense when browsing the internet or reading emails?
>It looked like shit
use the classic theme
>It was the first Windows version to feature 'casual friendly' default settings that made it a chore to use
?????
>It still had Internet Explorer tightly integrated into the system and even if you didn't actively use it you were exposed to numerous exploits
and who exploited them in ways that you didn't explicitly authorize anyway?

are you serious? since 7 windows has slowly adopting the mac dock. Just look at the default 10 taskbar- it's like a dock, only worse and uglier.

Actually, MS rips off steve jobs -- windows 3.1 and 95 look like NeXTSTEP
Steve Jobs died, thus we got Windows 8.
and it looks like everyone hates 8 and 10's design

>You couldn't even go online with an unpatched install due to some zero day malware that everyone got and made the machine auto shutdown after 30 secs.
What the fuck are you talking about. I used XP regularly for the last 15 years.
Even used it last year for a while.
Nothing like this ever happened.
I bet you're some kind of IE using retard, though.

>it was bloated compared to 98
Every OS just has bloat and new functions.

98 was more bloated then 95 (then again 95 was half assed) and 95 was more bloated than god-tier Win 3.11.

>and it looks like everyone hates 8 and 10's design

10 maybe, because it looks kinda cheap.
But 8 looked good and fresh/new. Other companies started copying the flat design after 8/WP came out.

I remember as teenager doing ricing my XP desktop using Blinds, other Stardock shit and stuff. Is it even possible on recent Windows?

>then again 95 was half assed
It was the Vista of its day so to say. My computer couldn't run it at an acceptable speed.
98SE was the pinnacle of shell on top of DOS Windows though.

Oh look a thread full of dumbasses who don't realize XP had a classic grey theme lots of fucking people used.

Fuck, you could even set colors and fonts styles. Kids just don't know any better...

so does vista and 7

OS8\9 was a rip off of BeOS.

Also 3.11 was as close a rip off as your going to get.

Windows 9x->ME had their own aesthetic
>inb4 but muh desktop and muh windows

Windows XP isn't a rip of of OSX's early years cause they were using the brushed metal meme

Vista was probably close, but also not really cause it looked more like a more polished version of shitty homebrew launchers i'd use on my PSP that just went ham with Gradients and translucency.

>And Windows 3.1-2000 were ripoffs of the classic Mac OS aesthetic
3.x was nothing like the Macintosh other than the fact that it had a windowing system, they behave differently, they organize files and resources differently, they look different.

Even 95 and above weren't nearly "ripoffs", though they obviously took ideas from it with desktop icons, file management and a little bit with the start menu, but task management was totally different, program and hardware management was totally different, the window systems were totally different, the entire aesthetic was totally different.

> windows 3.1 and 95 look like NeXTSTEP
Go run NeXTSTEP in an emulator, they're fucking nothing alike, especially compared to 3.x that's closer to a "classical" Unix windowing system than anything.

Besides, 3.x's window system design predates NeXTSTEP anyway, or at least was developed at roughly the same time.

I was going to post this. It's literally either proprietary and ancient app support or bust. Exception is old people with their old stock of shit that just so happened to not get malware yet.

Only other small group is hardcore games where their game doesn't work in a VM or any form of compatibility mode.

LOOK, not behave
notice the faux-3d and the overall colors

Practically everyone was using those, pseudo-3D and drab grey colors were all the rage for a while by then, they don't really look all that alike.

Even if Apple was the first one to do it, that doesn't make everything that followed a "rip off" based on such an ultimately trivial design aspect.

There's still some stuff going on

but it was NeXT inc

and both NeXTSTEP and IRIX are from 1988

I saw somewhere that there exists a modded version of XP that is getting frequent updates. Not sure what it was called though.

no

Win7 > Win2000 > WinXP > Win98SE > Win8.1 > Vista > WinME > Win10

4dwm was introduced with IRIX 4.0 in 1991
NeXTSTEP was probably the first to really go balls to the wall on pseudo-3D but there were also other *nix space window managers who were employing it too, like OpenWindows/olwm (1989 pretty strongly implying it was already in development long before anyone so much as saw a screenshot of NeXTSTEP) or Motif/mwm

embedded?

I like the old gray style a lot more than Luna and Aero. Efficient use of space and nice gradients. I'd even use it on my win7 machine if it didn't fuck with video playback, which hilariously depends on Aero to vsync these days.

It looks useful and businesslike, but nothing is wrong with that! It's neat with no bullshit.

It is great. Works well on a tablet, desktop and phone, lightweight, quick access to important information...

Just the thought of Windows XP as a service sickens me... But it wasn't that bad back then.

I feel the same way about Windows 98, so, my guess is that it's relative, and Yes, as a result, we will. Or, someone will. Maybe not you or me.

Don't forget the yearly reinstall because performance suffered so badly over time.

>as iconic and honest as XP
Nigga, XP was awful and, honestly, I still don't like its style. It's too shiny and all.

7 will.
After Vista it was a godsend.

Vista = 7
Even faster sometimes

Well, I think you're right.
Its system requirements were rather unnoticable after XP -> Vista leap.

>Windows XP isn't a rip of of OSX's early years cause they were using the brushed metal meme

Early OS X was all gloss, pinstripes, and translucency.

Only a few apps (QuickTime Player, iTunes) used brushed metal before it gradually spread to other parts of the OS in subsequent versions.

xp was like
Microsoft Lite OS
it ran the bare essentials and that was it.
i honestly would use windows xp if it was fully updated.

2000 was lite
xp was all the bells and whistles, but architecturally wasn't good enough (like os x at that time)

hope that someone comments on this with more info

XP was heavyweight version of W2k. And W2k wasn't that "Lite" either. You are retarded.

More info:
You can't install any modern browser on XP. Do you want more info?

you say that now. but it wasnt at the time.

thats why we had XP lite and Black. now those were the bare fucking essentials.

to this day windows Vista had the best fucking UI. with windows 7 a really close second.

i detest win8 and win10 is ok, but its so fucking annoying with control panel/settings and the new flat design.

Im going to hackintosh soon because OSX isnt a fucking eyesore.

Windows XP nostalgia desktop thread? I've also got the icons from Windows 10, just need to reboot to show them

You can change a registry option in any XP machine, and it will still recieve updates as this tricks it into being a POS ready (point of sale) machine

zdnet.com/article/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp/

Firefox is supported

Everyone had that style back in the 90s, from CDE to OS/2 to IRIX to NeXTSTEP.

I was asking about a new patched/secure version of XP
I have installed maybe not modern but good enough versions of chromium/firefox/opera on XP last month.

computerworm.net/gold-xp-2016-v2 this one?

30% of the computers I admin run XP because the Budget King sales application work fine with XP and it would cost money and time to upgrade. It's a matter of convenience.

Only a fucking sand nigger would think that looks good.

God damn my eyes.

It was a bloated version of Windows 2000.

i don't even like it, i just post it because i though user might be talking about this on.

>computerworm.net/gold-xp-2016-v2
Thats a whole new level of cancer.

Tiger was more iconic and is actually still very usable even today.

>Tiger
>Literally nothing is support anymore for it.
>Good luck finding a browser.
>XP
>Literally everything still supports it even though its been dead for 2 years.

I wish tiger was still supported, or even usable. Its not.

Wallpaper?

>latest windows releases are extremely bloated and retarded
>This makes XP good
No

Fun fact: MS scraped Whistler for Luna because of the way the scroll bars appeared on laptop TN panels.

>>Literally nothing is support anymore for it.
tigerbrew
the proprietary software marketplace is no less sparse than XP really, you'll get maybe a version up on 10.4 but office has hardly changed since '08 or PS since CS4 for a typical use case for example
>>Good luck finding a browser.
floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
>>Literally everything still supports it even though its been dead for 2 years.
only web shit really, the proprietary mainstream couldn't give a fuck about XP and doesn't support it at all (though some things like java will still run on it)

>Literally nothing is support anymore for it.
It has the essentials

>Good luck finding a browser.
What is TenFourFox?

>XP
>Literally everything still supports it even though its been dead for 2 years.
It's also incredibly shitty and insecure. And there's plenty of stuff that doesn't support it at all. Either way get a Mac.

my.mixtape.moe/ogydut.png

Thank you

Thanks.

>Either way get a Mac.
Stupid itoddler

XP was the first windows that many normalshits used, so it will be remembered as "the best"
Just like normalfags think the iphone was the first smartphone

>nostalgically worships the worst Windows NT operating system because he used it when he was 8
>calls anyone a toddler

>projecting this hard

I used Gentoo for years. I'm already better than most of your kind.

>I'll regurgitate a random logical phallus, that'll show'em!
XPtards are the fucking dumbest

fuck off back to the desktop thread attention seeking weebshit whoreslut
oh wait hahaha!!!

Why can't Windows ship with good games anymore? SkiFree, Chip's Challenge, Minesweeper. Now all we get is fucking Candy Crush, they don't even have Minesweeper on the Windows Store, it has microtransactions for God's sake.

>he beieves skifree or chips challenge ever shipped with windows

Miles how was heroin?

LOL you fuckers didn't actually, you fucking did, LMFAO

What the fuck is that

the fuck was that

I can understand this if the tiles showed icons of what you consciously downloaded.

When it looks like THAT and it's all default shit, then there's a problem.

Can't wait for it to be on a fridge.

What did I miss?

This
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/56646782#p56655295

>Win 3.11
>god-tier
Well, lol...
LOL

What am I looking at? Is that a bag?

I didn't do heroin.

what?

>win95 was half assed
No
sigchi.org/chi96/proceedings/desbrief/Sullivan/kds_txt.htm

That actually looks fucking good.

Would use it today.

>god-tier Win 3.11.
3.11 was fucking garbage

t. someone who's actually used it

Source?

It's a baggie of heroin.

Maybe one day they'll add it as a little Easter Egg or something...

XP was pretty shit when it first came out.

Yeah it was... But it gives nostalgia...

It decidedly got better, I was just saying that people who were still shitting their pants when it came out are looking back on it with rose colored glasses.

Rolling it out in a business environment was hell.

Yeah it was shit starting off, but it got better once you got used to it. At least for me...

Rolling it out in a business would drive me insane...

Windows 7

It was hell, since at the time most people haven't even updated to Windows 2000. So it was most people's first forray into the Windows NT kernel in the business world.

So yeah, hell it could be.

Jeez... That had to hurt.

Exactly. The machines I was upgrading were W95/98 with aged hardware to match. XP was a pig by comparison and lollegacydevices and drivers.

>So it was most people's first forray into the Windows NT kernel in the business world.
but there were a lot of businesses already using NT4 to some capacity, 9x was garbage in a networked environment afterall

candy crush is awesome m8

nope.avi