Are standing desks a meme or is sitting really that bad for you?

Are standing desks a meme or is sitting really that bad for you?

As I'm not a fucking autist, I have an adjustable desk with a motor. I stand maybe 10-15% of my day. IMO, variation is key. Sitting (or standing) in the exact same position is bad for you, but changing position and moving around a bit is good.

meme

standing isn't any healthier than sitting

but if you do sit, just get up every now and then and stretch

If you wanna see how bad sitting really is, just check my asshole.

the best are ones that left the user sit or stand

sitting is bad if you sit all day at work and then go home and sit all night. if you do things for part of the day it doesn't really matter most of the time

people with back issues should use standing desks, people with leg problems should probably sit down.

healthy people can do what they want because they rock. circle of life

Just let your body decay. In the future we can just get a new body.

I type a ton at work and I enjoy standing when I do it.

>variation is key.
Underrated life advice

Sitting is really fucking bad for you, standing is less bad (assuming you don't have locked knees)

Moving is better

I can't relax and think properly when I'm standing in front of a computer. Sitting is better with every day exercise.

This.

>treadmill
>situated under delicate power cables and expensive, sensitive computer equipment

>12 hours standing/walking
>4 hours sitting
>8 hours horizontal (sleep)

best spine vs feet balance

Get one of those desks that have profiles with different heights. Then use it to switch bethween standing and sitting every few hours. (Make sure the cables are long enough for this)

Also try to pace around few times a day, f.ex. when making phone calls or other regular activity that doesn't require being in front of computer.

doing anything for an extended period of time is bad for you. if you're standing a lot, sit down every now and then. if you sit a lot, get up and stretch every hour or two

A lot of people with leg problem shouldn't sit down more. If anything it's the sitting that gives them the problem.

Tight hamstrings, hip flexors, quads, etc are all due to sitting too much.

wut

humans are not built for standing

What do you think most of humanity did for the majority of their waking time during. Sitting or standing/walking/being active?

Sitting down all day is not very good.

Sitting is deadly

Pics

Standing isn't really any better than sitting. It's being inactive in general that's unhealthy.

i stand 8 hours a day @ work, fuck that.

'standing desks' are memes for fat white people

Good for women, since they pass more gas at work

Just don't be a fatass and exercise during your free time, and get up and walk once in a while if you sit all the time at work

Sitting for long peroids make your organs shut down. Sitting literally kills you.

If you fidget it's not as bad.

Being able to swap it up during the day is ideal.

this

Best thing to do is to share your workspace with a colleague and one of you have a standing desk. Do half a day sitting and half standing. With meetings and coffee breaks dividing your day up, you can easily do 2 hour blocks in variation of the two.

I have a standing desk at work. It was originally someone else's but they left so I decided to try it out.

It's ok. I usually do one hour standing, one hour sitting and then repeat that. Haven't noticed any effect on anything.

>Not having backups

Protip: if you get a standing desk, get a tall stool to sit on.

Holy fuck you're autistic

Where is the arcade?

Overthetop reaction to work health and safety standards. Type out for a hour, stretch, walk around. You'll be fine. Don't sit like an autistic person.
I have a standing desk, waste of coin. I stand and move around when needed. The standing desk just is awkward on my work table.

Wat

Treadmill and bike desks have actual benefits. Standing doesn't help much beyond changing position.

>Standing desks
My bad knees are fucking triggered.

Constantly sitting is bad for well known reasons.
Constantly standing is bad for less well known reasons.

In short, constantly standing without motion causes blood to pool to your lower extremities (because it's your skeletal muscles that do the pushing, not your heart), eventually breaking the valves in your veins. This gives you varicose veins.

The solution is to simply use a treadmill desk so you can walk instead of stand.

This.

Working in an office is the problem not the actual sitting at a desk all day. Anyone working in an office should go to the gym and do some deadlifts, squats, rows etc.

Anyone remember Minority Report?

No grandpa, sorry