What can I do with Vim that I can't do with Sublime Text?

What can I do with Vim that I can't do with Sublime Text?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/zyedidia/micro
forum.sublimetext.com/t/release-mod-borderless-mac-like-sublime-for-windows/17097
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

act like a haker

Your job.

Run it on a headless server to edit config files over ssh?

Complain

edit text

May I suggest this for anyone looking for a decent commandline based text editor?
github.com/zyedidia/micro

After years with vim I have finally decided that I'll switch to Atom.
r8

Be free.

You need to write a blog post about it and then post it to HN. Make sure to mention some conference.

It's free as in freedom and free beer
also it's required by posix so available on any posix system, so if you are using a system that you do not have admin rights in and/or that you are accessing through ssh you don't have the luxury to install and use sublime but you have access to vim.

I use Atom for everything desu, unless I have to ssh or very quickly need to edit something, then I use Vim or nano.

get the file to local machine, use comfy sublime to edit and put it back?
but paid is better than free
logic

VS code is better in every conceivable way

Just open the file over sftp

>VS code is better in every conceivable way
No tabs.

>but paid is better than free
>logic
I'm not against software having a price, though I find the concept of purchasing a text editor to be absurd.
I'm against proprietary software. If I would like to change the software, or build it on a system that it is currently not supported for I can not because a) the source is not available and b) if it was available, it would also need a license that permits me to change the source.

There are countless alternatives that are not proprietary which render sublime obsolete. It eludes me that people use sublime.

but sublime is written in python, an interpreted language

ok then remove the part about "build it on a system that it is currently not supported for", one is still unable to change the software.

>Make sure to mention some conference

enjoy being spied on

>What can I do with Vim that I can't do with Sublime Text?
take Autism to the next level

>Sublime Text still has a normal Windows style-window around the actual application window
Why

lost your time with inane configs and shitty shortcuts

wut?

Tell me how, senpai.

>senpai
yeah, fuck off

not him but I found this baka-user
forum.sublimetext.com/t/release-mod-borderless-mac-like-sublime-for-windows/17097

fuck off back to with your windows

Nevermind, found a better method kawotakochi sepachi anons, just use this autohotkey script

LWin & f::

WinGet Style, Style, A
if(Style & 0xC40000) {
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A

} else {
WinSet, Style, +0xC40000, A
}
return

It's time to install a less shitty OS friend

>This much salty
baka desu senpai :^)

>don't like Sublime because I have FOSS autism despite using W7
>don't like Vim because it seems near impossible to turn it into something that's not an eyesore if you're on Windows
>like PyCharm CE, but the regular windows title bar is jarring as fuck when using a dark theme

Insult me, and then tell me what to do

>nano

>being retardedly wasteful of system resources for no fucking reason

...install gentoo.

Run in a console.

> Work at home
> Ssh into work computer
>Tmux attach
> Vim exactly where I left off

It's also nice to run your editor on one machine and have it working nicely instead of copying configs and syncing all over the place.

Vi is installed on just about every machine you will encounter, so having a non shitty editor when your fixing a issue with a server (like a broken /etc/network/interfaces ) it's handy to know the basics.

When's emacs fork so it sucks less and has less Richard Stallman?

Emacs is great but really lags behind some of the modern features vim and other editors have.

> Sr-speedbar barely works, and won't open on multiple emacsclient frames.

Seriously, a left side file browser and code hierarchy barely works in a programmers editor. Like wtf