Have ODD's gone the way of the floppy disc yet? Are they still necessary?

Have ODD's gone the way of the floppy disc yet? Are they still necessary?

Yes.
No.

No.
Yes.

I haven't had the need to use a DVD since like 2008, but then like 2 weeks ago I was forced to buy one because I had to copy some crucial old data I had saved years ago, it cost me $28 which is way more than I was willing to pay but I had no alternative.

I've only used it once and now I can't think of anything to do with it anymore, I guess I can buy a Slim PS2 and a 100 DVD pack from newegg and burn games or something.

how else are you going to install your drivers.

How else would you install windows 10?

Haven't used one in 10 years

Very useful for long term offline backups.
>I don't know what USB port is for

>dvd
>long term backup

BluRay? M-Disc?

I have one to rip CDs, DVDs and sometimes even Blurays.

>built computer in 2001
>didnt install it
>literally still in packaged box with no dents on it
Nope
Not once

My case doesn't even have 5.25" slots. It only has two 3.5" slots too

i have two PATA DVD burners sitting on a shelf, none of my hardware will run them, i will let them sit and collect dust until i have the biggest yardsale ever and unload tons of obsolete junk for pennies on the dollar, and what dont sell i will give away on the last day, and what cant be given away will go to the dump

People still use them. But they're not a necessity for PC users. I can't remember the last time I used my DVD drive. I just back up stuff to google drive now.

I still have 100's of blank cd-r's, but none of my recent computers has a cd burner.

At this stage, i'd say optical media on consumer systems is dead (besides game consoles and dvd/bluray players).

The ODD is basically dead.
The 5.25 bay is not as it still serves a purpose.

>Burn games
Why?

Its dying a fast death but I always keep one around for that random disc

Yeah why burn dvds that are perfectly payable for just $10 when i can waste money in a hard drive and adapter and have games that not work like intended.

I rarely use one but for $20 I usually include one if I'm building a mid tower.

It's just value added. For example I came across a bunch of Kodak picture discs that were included with photo processing. It was cool to recover 10 year old photos that were long gone physically.

running games from usb on the ps2 isn't ideal
but an ide hdd in an original phat ps2 is awesome, games load far faster from hdd than they do dvd/usb/smb

They wont die anytime soon, same with VGA and 3.5mm audio jacks

and hello Blu Ray is mainstream wtf mate

You're not the boss of me now

The media is very cheap and still ubiquitous.

If I lend out a USB drive I occasionally have to chase the person to get it back.
With a DVD I just don't care.

I've got a BR writer for a few years now and I never used it once to listen to music or watch a bluray. It's sole puprose seems to be to read data discs (seems to be a rarity these days as its simpler to just grab the files online) or to make data discs

the thing is that you can just buy one usb dvd drive and keep it stored in case you ever need a dvd. back on the floppy days, the technology just wasn't there since you'd have to open your case etc which was a lot of effort

also, dvds still have enough space to storage most linux distros (i think windows would need at least a dual layered dvd though? or maybe a bluray). either way, floppies couldn't store shit for data at some point, which also made them fade into obscurity faster

all the retarded drm in bluray also made people less interested in buying it, as well as how expensive it was when it became available. and now it's too late for it to become relevant and for optical media successors to be developed

I stream a lot of films but a Blu-ray Disc really does look and sound great.

Honestly I may even prefer 4K upscaling on my Sony Blu-ray player over the streamed 4K on Netflix.

Still need one to rip those DVDs.

Do you workstation at least OP?

The last laptop i bought was in 2011 and it had one but it broke last year and i never used it since. Actually even when i had the laptop i only used it once or twice.

usb sticks are so cheap and much better.

Am I the only one here getting c u c k e d by Redbox occasionally? I don't have anything else to watch a DVD on.

>comparing good bitrate 1080p to garbage bitrate 4K
I wonder why.