Do you turn off your computer every night and why?

strawpoll.me/11245799

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ceht-3xu84I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no

I just close the lid because it's a laptop

Nah I just put them in suspend.

Is there a reason I would shut them down ?
I'm curious about why.

Yes because I have an SSD

Yes because it saves electricity and Im not using it. How retarded are u

yes because it's what I've always done.

what does having an ssd have to do with leaving it off?

Why would I not

I turn it off because my wife doesn't want me to keep it running and i have an ssd

it boot in 10 sec, why leave it to sleep if it boot in such a short time ?

>what does having an ssd have to do with leaving it off?

Because my computer boots in 10 seconds

Nop, my torrents, eMule and I'm lazy, electricity is cheap where I live

Why would you not turn it off what a dumb question

10 secs is too long, i just put it in hibernation/sleep mode like a normal person

why wouldn't you unless you were using it as a torrent box or server?

>wastes electricity
>unnecessarily kills the lifespan of your parts including the fans

>doesn't know what sleep mode is

I leave it on because my computer unofficially serves files to the rest of the house.

This. Boots in 3 seconds on HDD, which means it would boot before you press anything on SSD.

rather load desktop PC, sleeping next to it I could keep it running but choose to turn it off

usually hibernation

loud*

Yes.
Because there is no reason not to.

I turn it off when I don't use it in general, why wouldn't I?

This, all my 10TB files are on my computer older computer. If I turn off it, I don't have access to my files with my laptop/the other computers on my home network.

Can someone ban this retard for posting unrelated images already?

I sit on my computer all day every day and either leave it running and downloading or to sleep when I sleep for a couple hours whenever I get tired.

servers and desktops never get shutdown, except for the piece of shit windows laptop I need for school that I have to reboot every time I want to use it since the performance goes to shit
thinkpad never gets shut down, I just suspend to ram, or hibernate if the battery is almost dead

If I don't my mom gets mad

>implying it's one person

Sleep (not hibernation) vs turning off?

>thread
>image related
You must be new or a animefag

Sleep
>power could go out and break your computer
Off
>that can't happen

does the image trigger you

>i'm so autistic that i can go on a thread with the related picture

You need professional help

Shitty posting "triggers" me, yes.

>>>/reddit/

I do because I don't want the extra noise or heat in my room.

I only turn mine off when no ones home.

>Shitty posting
tell the truth

(you)

No. Whenever I get away from my "main" computer (be it for an hour, for a night, or for 2 week vacations), I expect everything to be avaialble exactly the way I left it the second I get back.
Also: I alawys have some downloads and processes either running or scheduled.
Also: night time is the best time for backups/rsync.
Also: the additional cost of electricity is negligible (a tiny fraction of the general costs of living) and I don't give a fuck about "environment".

>whites are weak gened recessive sissy magical elusive elves guys, their genes melt away in contact with potent nigger seed

yea right, 50% of your genes get passed to next generation either way, given you have only 1 child

just use fucking sleep mode you god damn children

Depends on if Cred Forums considers suspending to RAM as turning your computer off or not. I do that unless I have something for the computer to do during night.

I never ever turn off my PC unless if I have to do something to it, or Windows updates restart it.

Yes, and I do it for two reasons:
>I boot fast enough that it doesn't matter if I'm waking from sleep or cold boot
>It removes the encryption keys from RAM

>Yes
>Don't like to sleep with the fan noise

I have the same exact problem. My fans are so fucking loud that I'm unable to sleep if my computer is on. So I turn it off every night.

Sleep

no, i leave it on 24/7. whenever a wind storm takes down the power i find it hard to sleep because i'm so used to sound of fans running

Yes, because i am not using my pc 24/7 and it boots in just a few seconds anyway.

no. I dont suspend or hibernate either

>wasting component lifetime for fucking no reason at all

Yeah, fucking great idea

I have a Samsung 850 EVO. My pc boots in 3 seconds. No reason to suspend it and waste energy.

Yes, because my room gets hot as fuck if I don't.

I know right. When will people realize that constant power on and off cycles damages computer components through excessive thermal exmansion and contraction

just leave your computers on idiots

No because I'm not so poor that I can't afford an extra $5 a year on my electric bill.

yes
my >gaymur peripherals have LEDs that don't turn off when sleeping

no. but i have recently because my computer keeps waking itself from sleep

>Implying everyone uses short lived AMD products.

seconded

>constant power on and off cycles
So you sit in front of your computer switching it on and off?

Turning it on and off once or twice a day doesn't to shit, moron.

I gotta keep this topic in mind for later usage.

This is almost as effective like the cut/uncut maymay (cut is better btw.)

>cut is better btw.
The only people who say this are people whose parents had them circumcised as a baby

Pic related, never turn off it cause muh torrent.

no

I like being able to keep open programs overnight (especially without losing my connection), like refreshing Cred Forums threads and receiving messages

the noise also helps me sleep since the nice, uniform hum of the tower is much better than noises from outside

cool I have the same
I never turn it on

Yeah turning it on and off is worse than just leaving it on. much worse.

>never turn off it cause muh torrent.
You should get a RPI then, uses less power and you can use it as a 24/7 home server and seedbox.

>I never turn it on

yeah I know but...

>rpi as a server
unacceptable. I require gigabit ethernet or faster

btw, I keep my file-server and my desktop on 24/7

>“Leaving a computer on all the time is less stressful than turning it off and on several times a day — but it is a constant stress,” says Steven. “Every time a computer powers on, it has a small surge of power as everything spins up, and if you are turning it on multiple times a day, it can shorten the computer’s lifespan.”

>“If you use your computer more than once a day, leave it on at least all day,” says Steven, “If you use it in the morning and at night, you can leave it on overnight as well. If you use your computer for only a few hours once a day, or less often, turn it off when you are done.”

because custom water cooling loops have a lifespan.
having my PC on has no benefit for me and my uses

What I normally do is turn my computer off every night before I go to sleep, unplug it, take the motherboard out, smash it with a hammer then go to sleep. When I wake up I buffer out the dents, glue some pieces back together, plug my computer back in and turn it on. Some functions act up now and then, but for the most part it works great.

Kek

i dont, while at school: because my university pays for the electric bill. So fuck them, internet is shit and food sucks. ill take what i can get

i do, at home: because thats my fucking bill BOY. minimize that shit, plus i have an ssd so itll boot pretty quick

>many talking about sleep mode or hibernation
>decide to try it
>can't find it in the start menu
>maybe it's like on laptops
>presses the power button
>computer shuts of
>mfw

If you use your PC a lot, you might as well leave it on all the time, and use something like sleep or hibernate.

Having an SSD is more reason to keep it turned on, as the idle power consumption will be lower

My computer turns off all fans when not under load, so its silent at night as well

and im not running a retarded operating system that "alerts" randomly when im sleeping; lol at the retards that use that as a reason

logging on, mounting drives, launching applications, all takes more than 3 seconds everyone is claiming

I get the impression the people who turn their computer off are the ones that use their computers primarily for facebook and video games

No, there is no reason to, just put it into standby.

On an unrelated note, why are so many threads lately started with an unrelated image?

Nope; at night is when it runs backups, and batch jobs I have scheduled.

I don't want to run any renders or backups when I'm using it, those can wait until night. Plus I have electric heat, so I might as well get some use out of the energy, rather than just wasting the power to heat things up.

>why are so many threads lately started with an unrelated image?
Probably people from Cred Forums or Cred Forums or Cred Forums who think they can start a thread with some random image to get people to look at it.

Also, hibernation/sleep uses so little power that it's really not an argument.
And a lot of modern components shut off when not being used like fans and other items.

He's at least discussing technology, unlike you.

>I've never studied genetics

No. It runs a Plex server that my friends use

No, he's part of a bigger problem that has been killing Cred Forums ever since its existence.

Isn't it better to keep your SSD powered anyways as to not promote data loss?

I turn it off when I know I won't be using it for about 8 or more hours

And it will continue to be a big problem. The biggest problem is completely unrelated shitposting or redundant retarded stuff like the gpu wars.

Your original comment is an example of the former.

>Your original comment is an example of the former.
Why is everyone who replies the original poster?
There is no need for that image and this is not shitposting but rather a discussion of board meta which has fallen out of content.
Off topic shit has run rampant for too long, you can't keep ignoring it.

No never, the screens go to sleep after 25 minutes though.

how do u fuckin sleep with it on I can only sleep with no sound and no light at all

I used to leave it on 24/7.

Then the capacitors on my 780 blew out.

I turn it off every night now.

I can only sleep with a big 18' fan blowing towards me.

It has always been like that and will continue for as long as you keep complaining.

The requirement to post is not to have a relevant picture and text, but to have relevant content. His question was relevant so that's good enough.

If you disagree then take it up with the owners who wrote the rules.

I just lock it and then turn off the monitors.

I turn off my computer whenever I leave for more than 15m so it lasts longer

Yes.
I pay my power bill.

Yes because I'm not home all day due to demanding work.

Easier to just turn it on when I need it, instead of leaving it running and feeling obligated to do shit when I should be sleeping.

No.
I usually have some automated task running.

My power cord isn't right next to my bed, so I turn it off and set it to the side before I turn out the light.

Cred Forums told me to just use hibernate with my SSD, so I haven't shut it down for 2 years I think

Yes because fan noise and sleep mode doesn't really work

My PC wakes for no fucking reason

I shutdown then switch off the power switch, I've read the the cia can hack into your pc while it hibernates and program the computer to kill your family while they all sleep, it then plants all evidence on you then goes back into hibernation, im not taking any chances.

maybe the mouse

but yeah sleep is quite fragile, only works as intenden in like half of computers i use

retard

My windows computer I do, my MacBook I almost never turn off, just close it

Only keep it on if it is doing something.
I just want him to rest too as he works hard for me everyday.

unrelated but I hate cars that damage themselves. by turning off and on the engine at every traffic light

Yes. Because It saves energy, also it's a laptop and the battery is totally dead and I have to carry it to class and all over a lot so I'd have to unplug it anyway...

Yeah I can't be bothered to unplug my mouse every time I want to sleep

of course not
in the past you would go into devices and there'd be a setting for the USB device allowing it to wake up or not

Yes
I'm afraid terrible things might happen if I leave my PC online unattended while sleeping
And that's even though I know I wouldn't notice if I got hacked either way

I suspend it every night, and restart it once a week to refresh my ram.

Got myself an ssd. So yeah! Won't lie though, my ducky shine 5 Backlight effect (on waterfall mode) has sent me to sleep before admittedly.

i restart once a week. systems start to behave weird.
(both my mbp and windows laptop)

Yes.
I like starting from a "clean slate" every morning, and I don't like the blinking standby light when I'm trying to sleep.

the work notebook goes to sleep and only restarts when IT pushes a necessary update. too much corporate image crap to be interested in restarting any more frequently.

personal desktop gets shut down daily because it books quickly, and (while i don't think it makes any real tangible difference on overall life of the parts) i like knowing i'm only using the machine when i'm there.

yes. I don't like to hear the fan noises when I'm asleep

Yes.
I have a small radiator as PC (good airflow)
I don't like to wake up in sweat.

If I turn my computer off overnight, one of the top vent fans will start making noises when I start up the following day.

yes

>Do you turn off your computer every night
Yes (though the home server stays on).
>and why?
I am the one paying the electricity bills.

no, I keep all programs running with info and I just put it to sleep

>wasting component lifetime
if you mean "suspend to RAM" = "wasting component lifetime", then you are wrong, turning it off does that.

of course it isn't, parts of the computer are still running. turning it off implies closing everything

marketing people asking questions

It has to be dead silent for me to sleep so yes I turn my computers off.

My ThinkPad's ACPI support on Linux is broken, so on resume, all media keys as well as any subsequent powersave features do not work any more.

So I just shut down the machine after finishing work.

>all this madness because of the op pic

youtube.com/watch?v=Ceht-3xu84I

>not using a straight razor or DE

>eMule

whatyearisit.jpg

kek

oh wait, no. This was the most awful single post I have ever read.

turn self off fag

It work perfectly

The fatigue from it heating up and cooling down daily would far outweigh the wear from being left on over night.

I turn it off whenever I'm not using it.
Energy bill and why have your junk hanging in the breeze when your not getting busy.

turn it off, because I'm paying my bills

This.

You fucking autistic losers sperging out about 10 seconds vs 3 seconds to start your computer up. As if your time has any value in the first place.

I have a laptop that I practically never turn off or close. During the night I like to let youtube autoplay interviews while I sleep

Depends on if I have a process running or if I feel I have bandwidth to burn (U-S-A) and seed all night.

I pay a fixed amount for electricity (student home) so I don't really give a shit. I leave it on.

>loud as fuck when running
>blinding bright led-lights when suspended
I would probably leave it on if it wasn't in my bedroom.

Sleep (suspend) uses ~5W, which ends up being less than $5 A YEAR in electricity.

If you're that poor you need to rethink your life.

This was my problem. Now that i upgraded PC, its more of hard drive noise, but i guess its okay because it kinda sounds like rain.

This. Suspend when on AC power, hibernate if running on battery.

What about when your wife's son uses it?

I turn my Desktop off at night.

I do as I'm not a fool so wastes money.

Which costs money :) are you retarded or just too stupid to understand

Yeah, $3 per year in electricity costs. How will he survive.

Leaving it on an extra 70+ hours each week does significantly more damage in terms of general wear and tear, plus the extra electricity usage, bills, etc. This thread is really showing up Cred Forums, can't believe how many clueless kids are on here

>tfw no Blonde Aryan mayonnaise gf to worship and fuck the shit out of.

Anyway no shutdowns, hibernation when necessary, running an AMD setup and electricity is expensive.

I turn mine off at night as I'm not a neet. I have work in the morning like normal people, so don't use my pc until the late afternoon after work.

Although I understand neets leaving it on over night as they're on their pc from waking up until going to bed and their parents pay the electricity bills.

this
most of my parts that died did on booting up

anyway, I don't turn it off because it's always doing something (seeding, backups, etc.)

>he doesn't have a desktop
kys

> it just not werks
kys

check out the bios settings

Only hard drives.

Why is that man taking a shit on that baby?

At least PSUs and fans too

I shut my PC down if I'm going to bed

Hardly any point in me using sleep mode when I got a SSD that goes from bios to desktop in 10 seconds.

>literally falling for it right after someone talks about how great of a b8 it is

No i dont, i just put it in sleep, so i dont even need to open up programs anymore. Strange thing was, i bought new monitor and disconected PC from power source, while it was in sleep mode, but when i turn it on again. Everything was still open and fine, just like i left it in sleep. So basically my understanding sleep mode basically doesnt use any energy and disables everything.

No, you're just using "hybrid sleep" which means that in addition to sleep you get hibernation as a backup in case power goes out.

Hybrid sleep is the default in Windows anyway, not sure how other OSs manage this.

>Yes because I have an SSD

Windows is just dumping everything from the RAM into the harddisk.

>yah
>nah

do you feel COOL now?

that's bad if you're using an SSD right? Anyone know what happens with HOmoSX?

nope just put the fucker to rest, life is good

I keep it on because torrents.

No because of uptime.

no, freenet

What's a computer?

I just don't understand women

The only people complaining about electricity costs are europoors or just poor faggots in general that can afford 10 dollars a year.

no

don't need to

I didn't for a long time because I was impatient, didn't have an SSD, didn't pay the electricity bill, would download buttloads of torrents overnight, didn't think about dust accumulation or wearing out of fans and other components, etc..

Then, I grew up.

Not unless I have to restart, or I'm going away for a long time

I only leave it on if I have a download or some other i.portant process running.

Of course I turn it off, because fucking expensive electricity bills in my country

No. I just close the browser because websites can be tricky and update their codes to fuck my machine.

She's gorgeous but her personality and character is ghettoish almost like she's overcompensating for being half German like she has to prove she's half black. She hangs with ghetto famous blacks, in that whole hood black community.

>Do you turn off your computer every night and why?

yes I do so it will stop making noise when I sleep.

no, i run wcg on idle

if i turn it off for long, the bios clock timer resets.

I've already replaced the battery a few times and I've looked up the problem, apparently I need to fix the terminal contacts but honestly I don't really want to fix what isn't totally broken.

I turn it off at night. I also turn out the lights. There's no point in leaving them on.

I close laptop

Leave desktop on. Some say to leave it on not to wear it out, but leaving it seems like it would wear it out even more.

I leave my computer on, but lately when it goes to hibernate mode, I can't wake it or turn it on or off unless I cycle the surge protector power strip thing.

Any ideas?

I turn it off, because I have a liquid cooler and I don't want to burn out the motor.

I shut my computer down to minimize memory leakage and to save power

>tfw I have a liquid cooler in my server that I leave running 24/7

>All these yes answers
Proof Cred Forums is among us.

Rapid cooling/heating of components causes extremely small scale molecular damage.

It's best to keep your PC on and at a stable temperature when possible to maximize the lifespan of your components.

Kernel updates or just clearing the ram to start fresh

yes if I put it on standby the light flashes and it annoys me when I try to sleep

fuck me.

Here's some solutions that take approximately 20 seconds to accomplish

1) Disconnect POWER LED on your motherboard header

2) Get a small strip of dark tape and cover the light

mine goes to sleep after like 2 hours. its comfy i just leave on a movie or stream or whatever when i goto bed, and when i wakeup its in sleep mode :^)

I always shut it down and turn off the power strip.

Maybe if you're a gamer restarting your games a million times to test settings or something. CPUs don't typically use BGA and the GPU doesn't get hit that hard at boot anyway. The only parts I've had fail from wear and tear are fans and mechanical hard drives, and those were on the computers I left on 24/7.

Saved power and protects against some power surges.

I leave it on. I only pay $80 usd a month for gas and electric

saving energy

No.

Because otherwise Windows 10 will update and maintain itself when I'm using it and go slow as hell as a result.

ive had zero issues with this. what do you have like 1mbps internet?

Yes. I don't like the sound, nor the lights from my fans when I'm trying to sleep.

I turn my desktop off whenever I'm not using it because otherwise it's just wasting power. It takes just a matter of seconds to boot from my SSD. I just close the lid on my T420 to suspend whenever I'm not using it.

This wears out the SSD faster though.

you cant really wear out any new SSD. it takes like a trillion hours of constant re writing or some shit lol

It's not the internet speed, it's the hard disk contention during update and maintenance. It's a non issue with an i7 and an SSD, but on an i3 with HDD you'll feel it.

Just use some kind of thermal management, my desktop is built from cheap parts and I can't hear it in idle how quiet it is.

I often have to turn my PC off because I don't have endless money for power keep in mind that 300 kilowatt hour is 109NZD

if i kept it on it would be 200NZD and i would lost my house.

honestly only a PSU is likey to fail and that's over years I can pay to get another PSU by that time.

most componets only die because you don't understand that near a PSU's death it gives out surges because parts are dying.

PSU's don't just die ether if your getting random shutdown's on load , don't use the PSU again and get another,

sleep + wol when my device is plugged in
sleep - wol when it's on battery
anything other than sleep, or maybe leaving it on (if it's doing something) is retarded
write cycles don't matter on modern, not chink ssds
although why the hell people don't just put their computer to sleep for the best of both worlds is beyond me

yes because i dont need a 80 degree furnace running when it doesnt have to

why the hell is your desktop running at 80c at idle?
mine uses less than 50 watts idle, with temps in the 30s on cpu, and upper to mid 40s on gpu (with fan off)
have you tried not using amd trash?

My computer is in my bedroom, and I'm really particular about having my room be as dark and as quiet as I can get it when I sleep

Laptops m8.

Still, if it's idling at 80 C, you've got a shitty one with really bad cooling, or it's clogged up with matted dust, or you have malware keeping the CPU at near full utilization all the time.

>butthurt moron can't realize that it's just an illusion

>That feel when you have a another look at this post and realize he might be aware of the 'illusion' and is taking a stab at a joke
Little did he know that he actually cast a master-bait and hooked a load.

You played yourself, fool.

I even go around and unplug everything before I go to bed... the TV.. the lamps.. check the oven.. the door..

it's routine..

Faggots like you make me sick.

>but on an i3 with HDD you'll feel it.
>being this poor
An i5 T410 with an ssd is about 300 bucks jamal.

>not using it
>shuts it down

Yes. Because nobody could ever possibly want more than 240 GB of space, and it's not like 1 TB laptop HDDs cost around the same.

Honestly the performance with a normal HDD is perfectly acceptable on Windows 8.1 and 10, so long as you don't have Windows pushing shit around in the background while you're using it.

I never understanded the difference between sleep and hibernate.

For some reason hibernate uses HDD space and sleep mode doesn't.
I think i disabled hibernate on mc PC so i only use sleep mode overnight.

Also is it true when the PC is in sleep mode the PSU takes a hit because it has constantly push low power?

My GPU fan is too loud and I am too sensitive for me to consider it.

yes because $

Yes because I pay for electricity and have SSDs anyway, if it's a laptop I just put it in sleep.

I left it on at night for torrents and shits. I work all day so I have it off at day instead.

No.

Mostly it's just habit. I used to run some services on my main computer. Torrents, instant message bouncer, TOR note, etc. I have a server for that now, but I still leave my main on. Maybe I don't trust session save and restore?

Anyways, the power drain is minimal enough that I just don't care to reconsider based on that alone.

Media server/torrent box.

So, no. Only for upgrades or cleaning.

Never. I play music to go to sleep and what.cd
Gotta keep that ratio up at all times.

I seed my what.cuck torrents at night

>ratiocucks

LMAOING at your lives faggots

>I was only pretending to be retarded
You're such a butthurt dumb boy. Also, I'm a woman.

I turn it off at night, mostly because of the sound my pc used to make + the leds.
My current pc is silent and doesnt have leds so i dont have to but im used to it.

Besides i have an ssd so booting takes like 20sec, and i dont want to put my pc to sleep because it will write my ram to a system pagefile, thats 16gb of writing / deleting every time the pc goes to sleep, thats got to be bad for ssd life expectancy

>it will write my ram to a system pagefile
It's hiberfil.sys and you can make it smaller, even by default it's not 100% of your RAM.
You can also disable it, but then if power goes out you'll have a dirty reset.

Also, stop fucking worrying about your SSD.

>Also is it true when the PC is in sleep mode the PSU takes a hit because it has to constantly push low power?

Can someone answer this?

Sleep uses a tiny amount of power, yes. Not sure what "takes a hit" is supposed to mean.
And if you want 0.0W you need to physically unplug the cable or at least switch off the PSU. Merely shutting down isn't enough.

I would if I could. It has posting issues so until I replace it I keep it on.

>Not sure what "takes a hit" is supposed to mean.

Well a PSU isn't really designed to output only 5W in long periods of time, thats why im asking if sleep mode does any damage to the PSU.

You must be new here. Lurk moar fucking newfag.

As I said, it's always outputting a tiny amount of power anyway.
Based on my experience it's not a real issue. The most important thing is to buy a good quality PSU if you want it to last long.

Are you retarded?

>Hybrid Sleep mode is a combination of the Sleep and Hibernate modes meant for desktop computers. It puts any open documents and applications in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state, allowing you to quickly wake the computer and resume your work.

So is Hybrid Sleep just sleep mode? This doenst make any sense. Why does it put anything on the HDD when it puts it already in the memory?
Is Hybrid Sleep a meme?

It's a sleep mode that can survive power loss, I guess.

Because if power goes out during sleep you can still recover from hibernation.

It's not a meme, it's the best option available.

Yes, to save myself from PC noise. I don't like standby because from what I know it can cause problems and maybe even corruption on Linux in the long run. I also like to wipe memory, caches and terminate any rogue processes I may have going on. As an SSD user, reboots aren't a problem.

Does power loss during sleep mode fuck up the OS?

Yeah, I have 5 second HDD boot times (runit init with custom boot scripts), why wouldn't I?

no, because i fall asleep while watching videos on it

implying current electronics can't handle power cycles

Yes. Cause it gets somewhat slow.

>average day in Sweden

i also don't turn it off during the day, or ever really.

No. I have tinnitus, so I need the background noise to sleep decently.

i retart it every hour. sum it guy i kno says it refreshes the megaherts or sumshit idk senpai

Yes I have a server that does menial tasks so that's always on
The desktop is put to sleep during the night and then I turn it on again after I get home from work
I also pay the electrical bill and see the huge difference than if I were to leave it in 24/7

>you_fags_will_fight_about_anything.jpg
I don't bother turning my desktop off. I like having quick access to the machine and most PSUs are rated for low power modes when the computer is idle. The whole "wear and tear" argument is negligible at this point. If you care about your parts try vacuuming around the device sometime you fucking neckbeards.

spotted the windows user

Depends on the fucking machine.

no... you know how pagefile/swap works right?

yea, if machine is idle.

No, I leave my laptop on all night seeding torrents, and turn it off when I go out during the day.

Tyrone .Jr doesn't know how to use a computer silly....

>1465 votes
>175 posters

Yes, and I flip the switch on my psu as well
Otherwise the annoying green leds on my gpu will bother me when I'm trying to sleep

My computer's status flashes when it's suspended and it's distracting for me when i go to sleep

Yes, because AMD.

Ah yes, forgot the exact file name. But still, theres no reason to keep it on (for me), so why not save a little on power / write cycles.

Every black/white mixed people are like that

I turn my desktop off when I'm nitty using it because I have a FX-9590. It heats my whole fucking room. I left it on when I was getting breakfast yesterday and the room was 10°F hotter.

This. I used to put it in sleep. Then it started waking up at 3am making constant HDD noise. Tried disabling mouse as wake up, stopping scheduled jobs, nada. In the end once I got an SSD in there it's easier just to shut down.

Also, took longer to go to sleep than shutdown.

I have 2 SSDs and my computer is on 24/7. Literally no connection between these two things, dude.

ATX PSUs are on 100% of the time. Which means they ARE constantly pushing low power even when the computer is turned off. Obviously the power draw from being turned off is much smaller.

Yes it's called "Turn on fast startup"

Fast startup is a just gimmick to make brainless normies think their PC boots faster.
You're not supposed to use it if you have a brain.

Yes. The GPUs have lights that can't be turned off. Even on X99 my m.2 SSD boots in like 20 seconds. I have no reason not to save a bit of electricity, prevent OS rot and turn it off.

On 24/7 unless I leave the city. Maybe it's why my main HDD has 60k+ hours.

people who leave their shit on 24/7 are actually tech illiterate

Sleep keeps your RAM powered with a low voltage to keep its contents. If it's a laptop it will slowly drain the battery over something like a few weeks. If it's a desktop it will draw a few watts.

Hibernate saves RAM contents to disk and then turns all the way off. It consumes zero power, and you can even disconnect the power and take it apart while it's hibernated. But don't change the hardware since you will need a full fresh boot to recognize the changes.

So, use sleep if you're putting your laptop in your bag for a few hours or leaving your desktop and don't want it driving up your power bill. Use hibernate if you're leaving it for days, weeks or longer but don't want to lose your open programs like you would if you shut down.

It doesn't hurt the PSU any more than using a phone charger hurts it.

Retard, the post

>Cred Forums
That said, I'm surprised 'ya' is actually the winning vote by a good margin.

>I maek argument

>being this stupid
do you even know how to walk, and talk at the same time without biting your tongue?

>server/home network
>torrent/p2p
>compilation/conversion

Try some rendering with your computer and you will see my son