Why do you need a better CPU than i3?

why do you need a better CPU than i3?

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-performance-double-fx-8350/
pcper.com/news/Processors/Leaked-Geekbench-Results-AMD-Zen-Performance-Extrapolated
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gay

men

You literally don't need more than an i5-2520M and Intel HD Graphics 3000, period.

this

anything less than twin xeons and all you've got is a facebook machine

>not posting from a glorious 60MHz pentium I

To post on speccy threads

but what if you don't play PC games

Compression/encryption of large amounts of data for back-up purposes.

we use dual-socket 6-core haswell xeons at work on our server. Typically we don't need all that power throughout the day, but it allows us to do nightly back-ups very fast instead of it taking all day.

for standard desktop use tho you really don't need more than an i3 unless you're a gaymor or do shit like video/audio production/editing.

HEVC encoding. Currently you need a fucking i7 to encode HEVC at ~30 FPS and that's just for 720p video.

Yes, this too. Encoding is a bitch. I was fucking around with ffmpeg/ffserver a while ago and if you are trying to encode with shit hardware, you're not going to have a fun time. I was able to repurpose an old netbook to encode video for a 480p stream and h264 was out of the question- I ended up using mpeg2 at the cost of the stream being 3mbps. Cramming audio/video smaller comes at great cost if you want to preserve quality and current CPUs are a requirement if you want the best results.

Because I actually use my PC for more things than shitposting on Cred Forums

>haswell xeons
>2016
>not skymeme xeons
Step your game up.

Who am I kidding I still have haslel in my servers

>i buy a i7 becuase is more powerful because the price is higher than the i3
Cred Forums never change

If it can run crysis i'm happy.

Because I want to show-off.

>dual core

Well the skylake i5 wasn't that expensive so idk why not buy it and be happy with it for like 4 years just like my sandy bridge i3 serves me

This isn't an issue since i3s have hyperthreading so you get 4 logical cores. However on pentiums this can be a huge pain in the ass since they have no hyperthreading. Some games/programs will outright refuse to start if they don't have at least 4 logical CPU cores to work with.

some things just don't fucking work on x86. at all.

My i3 1st gen m is always at 78/81
I just want a comfy place
Cant wait to move to 2/3 gen i5 or even i7
Quadcores are perfect
I hate i3s

GPU passthrough
Compile times

I encode video.

The problem with i3 is that it's not even cheap. Why would I buy a Skylake i3 when I can buy a Haswell i5 for $30 more?

>4 logical cores

2 physical cores out perform 2 virtual threads

>Currently you need a fucking i7 to encode HEVC at ~30 FPS and that's just for 720p video.

That pretty much means it's a shit codec, no matter how good the quality is. It wont be viable for another 15 years.

To answer OPs question:
>2 cores

Why would I buy a Haswell i5 when I can buy a Haswell E3 for $30 more?

because i hate to wait for my projects to compile

All the more reason to never buy an i3.

>That pretty much means it's a shit codec, no matter how good the quality is. It wont be viable for another 15 years.
Are you fucking retarded? Zen CPUs are literally going to arrive in a few months and the 8-core variant will probably cost ~$300. They will pretty much give you the performance of 2 haswell i5s so you can expect around 50FPS encoding 720p HEVC video.

>They will pretty much give you the performance of 2 haswell i5s so you can expect around 50FPS encoding 720p HEVC video.
No, more like 40. Also, even with 60fps it would be pointless. 720p HEVC will look worse than 1080p/4k of anything else, which even the cheapest of processors can handle without any problems.

>which even the cheapest of processors can handle without any problems.
decoding sure, encoding they rely on shitty ASICs which should never be used except for things like low quality live streaming.

CPU encoding is very processor intensive, my 6 core 5820k only manages 40-50fps for 1080p h.264 encoding.

Zen has already been confirmed to be slower than sandy/ivy bridge.

so you also shitpost on other sites?

>No, more like 40.
50 is good estimate because those with FX-8350 processors have been able to get ~25FPS encoding 720p HEVC and the 8-core Zen is basically 2X as powerful as the 8-core FX processors as confirmed by AMD

wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-performance-double-fx-8350/

>720p HEVC will look worse than 1080p/4k of anything else
It depends on what CRF you use which can be adjusted by the user. In fact 720p 10-bit HEVC video with a CRF of 16 will look way better upscaled than 4K video from netflix for example.

>which even the cheapest of processors can handle without any problems.
Sure but decoding video is never going to be as CPU intensive as encoding it.

Anyway as soon as Zen processors start selling like hotcakes HEVC will finally take off and before long nobody will even remember H264 anymore like Mpeg2 or xvid.

At the same clock frequency? If so please provide proof.

You can't really just double the 25fps. The processors may have double theoretical performance but many times GPUs or CPUs have been massively overestimated because of their theoretical performance which lead to huge dissapointments.

Surely a proper encode will look better than upscaled video, but native 4k footage is not exactly rare nowadays.

>Sure but decoding video is never going to be as CPU intensive as encoding it
True, I actually misread the first post, the 30fps i7 one.

>You can't really just double the 25fps. The processors may have double theoretical performance but many times GPUs or CPUs have been massively overestimated because of their theoretical performance which lead to huge dissapointments.
True but AMD confirmed this shit so either they're lying or Jim Keller will live up to his name. There stakes are pretty fucking high here so I'm willing to bet AMD isn't dicking around when they said what they said.

>Surely a proper encode will look better than upscaled video, but native 4k footage is not exactly rare nowadays.
Nigger there is very little 4K blu-ray content out there especially content that has not been upscaled from 1080p. 99% of 4K you do see on the web is most likely upscaled shit or heavily compressed to yify quality. Shit fucking sucks man, I'm just as bothered by it as you are.

I was thinking more about raw camera footage, but you are right about that. Clearly it's not the time for 4k yet which means a new codec might actually have it's place right now. We'll see what happens.

Because you need to install gently sina

Gentoo*
Androids are trash

pcper.com/news/Processors/Leaked-Geekbench-Results-AMD-Zen-Performance-Extrapolated

I don't. I upgraded from a Pentium G325 to a 4690k and the difference was significant.

What (shitty) FPS benchmarks don't show is that dual-cores are more likely to lag/skip/hiccup, even if the average FPS is only slightly lower.

I bet an i3 would feel similar.

#1 Developing Apps
Running the android VM, android studio, and photoshop (yes, apps have graphics, deal with it) require a lot of ram, CPU, and GPU. The Android emulator needs some GPU to run smoothly.

#2 Video Game Dev
I have a game on Steam. It makes ~20k a year. FAR from a full time job, but I would definitely consider it worth my time. Running Unity, testing, running 4 instances of my game (it has 4 player online coop, which I must test)

#3 Data Mining.
At work (my real job, not gamedev) I often need to analyze large datasets. CPU's can definitely do this, but often I find myself writing CUDA code to speed things up.

#4 Games
Yes. I play some games during my off time. I understand many people don't. I don't care.

tl;dr 99% of people DONT need anything better than an i3. But I do.

>geekbench
>"Again,I must reiterate, the results and graphs we have here are nowhere near finalized and could be an AMD red herring or the result of very early prototype hardware."
Please delete your post and then yourself.

Work

These two posts say the same thing

>hurr durr it doesn't agree with my AMD fanboy agenda so it's wrong

Zen will be DOA performance wise.

Because fuck you.

And server.

i3s are purposely shittily made procs.

They are core two systems that were backmade from the design of the i5 procs and show based on random performance hits.

Beyond that their turbo-boost tech (which allots power to core 0 for short bursts of power) is included with it but inherently ill designed for a dual core system.

Picture this. You're doin' something that puts the processor under a normal load (lets say 60% both cores) The system acts mediocrely but truts along ok. You start another program such as a video game or anything else processor intensive. The system freaks the fuck out, Core 0 pops up and down from 60% to 100% + boost like a strobe light, Core 1 cries and shits itself because Core 0's baggage is being dropped on it and it just doesn't have the supply of power to meet the all the demands it's getting from the user. So Core 1 Tries to offload as much as it can to the RAM who is basically that bitchy secretary that gives puppy-dog eyes to Core 0 all the time but won't give the time of day to core 1. As a result you end up with random hang-ups where the PC goes to a stand-still DESPITE the raw processing power of both combined.

Unfortunately, when you take away the turbo-boost tech from these, you end up with a proc that continually under-performs (Basically you get an A6 proc with identity problems). You may not need more as far as paper goes, but you would be better off with a solid i5 or i7 (even one a few gens old) Because not only does it have the technology and architecture that is required, but allots for more power usage from the board. This means that the core 0 boost doesn't kill everything. Beyond that the extra offloading to more procs means that Core 1 gets help from Core 2 and 3 ( fuck the virtual core parts, the cores have split personalities anyway and shouldn't be trusted) when it needs to.

tl;dr i3 procs are fear and loathing in Las Vegas inside your PC, you don't want a Dope Fiend and a scumbag Lawyer running numbers.

i7 4790k here, I build my pc from parts gathered through a few months. I don't upgrade often and want something can last me long. So better go balls deep.

>I bet op doesn't even shitpost from 4mb of ram on a dual 67mhz and 33mhz processor setup

>buying intel

8 core zen isnt 2x as powerful as a 8350 (at least without SMT)
About 75% IPC increase from piledriver.

They aren't purposely shitty idiot.

They are a logical outcome of the way cpu's are made on a wafer.

The really good ones will be i7's, the slightly worse ones will be i5's and the crap stuff will be i3 and lower.

Still happy with my lga 1366 i7 920 !

COMPILE TIMES ARE THE BANE OF MY WORKFLOW

I3's are good on laptops, without that turboboost they don't overheat so much like I5 or I7.

muh games

i3 4350 here

I love it

are you proud of me, lads?

I don't. I only play chess and I use Debian.