/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

Take this quiz before asking for what distro to try: distrochooser.de/?l=2

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/eclipse#Enable_javadoc_integration
wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3
github.com/atom/apm/issues/95
rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/24/x86_64/j/java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel-1.8.0.102-1.b14.fc24.i686.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#linuxalone
archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/emacs/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Debian_GNU.2FLinux
aur.archlinux.org/packages/dmmediaconverter/
codelinks.pachanka.org/post/42559163809/awesome-window-manager-keyboard-shortcuts
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Now I see what is actually wrong with you. You think python scripts are scripts written by the users and the users could simply update their scripts, but you're wrong. Python is a widly used language and many programs are written in it, packaged and in every distros repos. Don't expect all these people to "fix" something that shouldn't be fixed since it's the default way, just because Arch wants to link python to python3. If you still don't get why linking it to python3 is a bad idea, please read again.

Someone has to do it first to force developers to adopt 3.x standards, if your so pissed about it in your .bashrc just make an alias python='python2' and be done with it

(Dead)
>Python is a widly used language and many programs are written in it, packaged and in every distros repos.

So the devs update the scripts, which are then propagated to the users?
How can you be this retarded
You're blaming a DISTRO instead of UPSTREAM inadequacies

>default way,
Explain why V2 exist then?

Till you do, you have no valid arguments, and you will be discarded by everyone

That doesn't fix python programs, only programs you call with $ python

I can't believe this Arch Python thing has gone on for so long.

/usr/bin/python is just a symlink to python3; make it link to python2 and you'll be fine.

Never really had any effect on me. It's just Cred Forums being autistic

I don't want to spam, but please read it again:

You just don't get how it works user. Before python3 was released all scripts got the bang "python". When python3 was released, it got it's own: "python3".

How it works:
python should call python2, to be compatible to all programs written before python3
python2 should obviously link to python2
python3 should obviously link to python3

This is how every other distro does it, exept Arch (which points python to python3) and this is why it constantly breaks programs. Use a search engine and realize that people got A LOT of problems because of that, because it BREAKS all programs, written before python3 which include code that is not compatible to python3.

>default way,

Not him but I never had any python programs break at all...

Show me one of these "constantly breaking programs" that you keep talking about.
Note, posts from anything past 2015 are irrelevent

Python2 is compatible with Python1, so there is no need for a "python2" bang, but Python3 is incompatible with Python2 and 1, therefore it has it's own link to python3. Linking python to python3 links python1 and python2 scripts to python3, which breaks compatibility and scripts that use code which is incompatible to python3.

>default way,
Show me one of these "constantly breaking programs" that you keep talking about.

Why does Arch even link python to python3? Ubuntu here also links it to python2 (so I guess so does Debian).

See Pythong 3 is future

Can we stop talking about python?

>Pythong 3 is future
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

Either you're really retarded or you're trolling.

Yeah, this isn't /dpt/

So how do I get javadoc generation working on eclipse on fedora? I know I have to install the openjdk javadoc package, but then what? Where do I find the appropriate javadoc command?

it's not about "not using the newer version" user, it's about breaking standards

Only if you answer
>default way,

Python 2.x is legacy, Python 3.x is the present and future of the language

Stay butthurt :^)

read

How are standards created in the first place?
Oh
Flash
Oh
HTML1
Oh

Ok, once again, only the relevant part:

>Before python3 was released all scripts got the bang "python". When python3 was released, it got it's own: "python3".

are you looking for this?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/eclipse#Enable_javadoc_integration

>breaking standards
Python 2 will go obsolete quite soon.
wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3

sounds reasonable

The only reason I see, to do it like Arch Linux does it, is, to not care for breaking programs and scripts, so that the Python3 users can feel like they mater more, because "python defaults to python3 now, update your script, grandpa.", which is a very childish and pretty stupid reason and doesn't help anyone.

From the standpoint of a society which works together for the better of everyone, then python should not default to python 3.

Case Closed.

Daily reminder that the main advantage of 3.x is that it is on the cutting edge, so all the new features will be implemented in there rather than being added to 2.x. The other thing you may want to consider is that it is the common python of the future, so looking a couple of years down the line, this will be the mature branch that people go to.

I dare you motherfucker, don't bring this "python2 is obsolete" arguments again EVER,

Sersiously, what the hell it wrong with your brain. Python2 and Python3 are incompatible to each other so they need different bangs. Linking them together breaks the shit!

No. On eclipse, when you write javadocs on your program, you can generate an html file containing your javadoc. This requires me to point eclipse at my javadoc installation. On windows, you do this by finding your jdk and pointing eclipse to javadoc.exe. I can't find javadoc's location in fedora. I found a tutorial of how to find it on ubuntu, but I guess ubuntu ships openjdk as a whole package, as opposed to fedora, who ships it as modules.

1. Python 2 is really getting obsolete these days, user. Go back to /d""p""t/ with your shit memes

2. See (me)

standards are created this way:

Someone comes along and forces his ideology on people and kills off everyone who doesn't agree with him. If enough people are left to serve "his" standards, then a new standard is created, and all the happy people who were not killed and are obeying their new overlord, will live happy ever after.

See, this is what happens, when programs espect the default behaivor of python at Arch Linux: github.com/atom/apm/issues/95

im not 100% sure on this but you might want to check /usr/lib/jvm/[yourjavaversion]/bin/javadoc

Doesn't affect me, I'm using vim.

It's not an atom problem jesus christ.

It's not there. Fedora doesn't install openjdk as a whole. It installs it as components. To enable javadoc, I had to install it separately. Hence, its not there. Every javadoc file I've found doesn't have anything but text files containing licensing information.

did you try rpm's -l flag to list the contsnt of a package?
sadly i do not use fedora so i cannot try this myself

Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where they allow only monopoly. … if the users chooses this proprietary software package, he then falls into this monopoly for support … the only way to escape from monopoly is to escape from proprietary software, and that is what the free software movement is all about. We want you to escape and our work is to help you escape. We hope you will escape to the free world.

Yes. Unfortunately, the list is huge and it cuts off my terminal window. I get that fedora is less bloated when you break up the package in modules, but holy shit is it annoying when you think you have a complete default package only to find that its actually split in 25 modules

if the list is to big just pipe it into less

>default way,

>default way,

what pacakge did you installfor the javadocs?

java-1.8.0-openjdk-javadoc

So I'm using fluxbox and know about i3, what are other easy to configure windows managers that use plain text config files?

All window managers use plain text config files.

>awesome

Lua is not written in binary last I checked. It's plain text. Human readable.

It isnt plain text. It is a in non standard plain text.

Having to use xml/lua/we isnt plain text and is asinine

i think i may have the solution for your problem. So i checked the javadoc package on rpmfind and it seems to only provide the offline documention for the java api. So i searched for other java packages and found this
rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/24/x86_64/j/java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel-1.8.0.102-1.b14.fc24.i686.html .
that package provides
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.102-1.b14.fc24.i386/bin/javadoc
and i think that is what you are looking for.
tldr: install the openjdk-devel package, it might fix your problem

Also fuck Fedoras retarded packaging policy and lack of documentation

>plain text is non standard plain text

set $mod Mod4

is plain text, but
modkey = "Mod4"

is not, right?

You're missing alot of text to even execute that command
This is a scripting language
Not plain text
mytaglist.buttons = awful.util.table.join(
awful.button({ }, 1, awful.tag.viewonly),
awful.button({ modkey }, 1, awful.client.movetotag),
awful.button({ }, 3, awful.tag.viewtoggle),
awful.button({ modkey }, 3, awful.client.toggletag),
awful.button({ }, 4, function(t) awful.tag.viewnext(awful.tag.getscreen(t)) end),
awful.button({ }, 5, function(t) awful.tag.viewprev(awful.tag.getscreen(t)) end)
)

pls report if this worked i really want to know

Exactly. If you're tearing your hair out trying to figure out yours or someone elses config file, it's not plain text and making it more work than it needs to be.

That is a portion of the STOCK awesome config

This is fluxbox
session.screen0.tabs.usePixmap: true
session.screen0.tabs.maxOver: false
session.screen0.tabs.intitlebar: true
session.screen0.iconbar.iconTextPadding: 10
session.screen0.iconbar.iconWidth: 70
session.screen0.iconbar.mode: {static groups} (workspace)
session.screen0.iconbar.usePixmap: true
session.screen0.iconbar.alignment: Relative
session.screen0.titlebar.left: Stick
session.screen0.titlebar.right: Minimize Maximize Close
session.screen0.window.focus.alpha: 255
session.screen0.window.unfocus.alpha: 255
session.screen0.menu.alpha: 255
session.screen0.toolbar.autoHide: true
session.screen0.toolbar.placement: BottomCenter
session.screen0.toolbar.visible: true
session.screen0.toolbar.height: 0
session.screen0.toolbar.onhead: 0
session.screen0.toolbar.maxOver: false
session.screen0.toolbar.tools: workspacename, prevworkspace, nextworkspace, iconbar, prevwindow, nextwindow, clock
session.screen0.toolbar.alpha: 255
session.screen0.toolbar.widthPercent: 100
session.screen0.toolbar.layer: AboveDock
session.screen0.overlay.lineWidth: 1
session.screen0.overlay.lineStyle: LineSolid
session.screen0.overlay.joinStyle: JoinMiter
session.screen0.overlay.capStyle: CapNotLast
session.screen0.clientMenu.usePixmap: true
session.screen0.tab.placement: TopLeft

Youll notice quick a lack of scripting in this portion of the stock flux config

So plain text, to you means "something that is not written in any standard programming language"?

imho plain text means "something that is not written in any standard syntax".

Not him, but plain text needs to be simple and can be easily read and understood. Plain text doesn't need to complicate things by writing it like a scripting language, it needs to be written like a novel so it can be read like one.

Hello everyone, I just installed Linux Mint as a first distro on a 13'' Thinkpad X250, and everything's too fucking small. It's running Cinnamon, and apparently there's only a 100% or 200% scaling option, which is irritating.

I guess my question is, what DE should I get for a 13'' 1920x1080 screen where I can properly scale the ui?

you may want to take a look at this
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

GNOME

gnome has the same weakness: it only allows 100%, 200%, 300%, etc scaling

Try this:

#!/bin/bash
x=echo;e=d1s3d1;f=s2d1s2;g=d1s4;h=s4d1;i="1 d5";s=0;$x -e "\n\n\n\n\n\n\n"
set $i 7 $e $i 9 $f $i 3 $h $i 3 $g $i $i 3 $h $i 3 $h $i 4 $e $i 4 $h $i 3 \
$g $i 3 $h $i 4 $g $i 3 $e 2 d5 8 $h $i 3 $e $i 3 $e 2 d5 3 $e $i 4 $h 3 s1 \
1 d1 1 s1 1 d1 3 s1;y=" ";z="\033[";for l in {0..9} a;do for m in {0..8};do
if [ $s = 0 ];then s=$1;t=$2;shift 2;fi;s=$((s-1));p=$t;a="";while [ $p ];do
c=${p:0:1};n=${p:1:1};p=${p:2:9};[ $c = d ]&&a="$a${z}7m"
a="$a${y:0:$n}${y:0:$n}";[ $c = d ]&&a="$a${z}m";done;d[0x$l$m]="$a";done
done;while :;do set `date "+%Ha%Ma%S %N"`;t=$1;s=$2;$x -ne "\r${z}8A"
for l in {0..8};do for ((i=0;i

no

pussy

It doesn't do any harm. I promise.

Noice.

Do you mean this?

>Also fuck Fedoras retarded packaging policy and lack of documentation
This. If you're gonna break up packages into 20 smaller ones, you fucks better give me arch-wiki levels of documentation. For a "developer" distro, the lack of documentation for anything on fedora is fucking infuriating.

So I heard you can use something called GPU Passthrough to play Windows games with good performance in a VM on linux. Do you need to have 2 GPUs to do this?

Yes, and you already have one built into your CPU. The second one is the graphics card

Yep, installing this package solves the problem. WHY THE FUCK DOES FEDORA CALL THE READ ONLY JAVADOC PACKAGE JAVADOC IF IT CAN'T GENERATE A JAVADOC HTML. HOLY FUCK, FEDORA'S PACKAGES TRIGGER ME SO MUCH.

Thanks, appreciate it.
After some tactical googling I came to the same conclusion as That looks perfect, is that KDE?

Thanks everyone, Cred Forums can be surprisingly helpful

Ah,when it said you needed 2, I was unsure if the integrated GPU counted. That might be the final push i need to move my home pc to linux

>is that KDE
is that KDE master race*

Ftfy. And yes.

Start reading
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

So what's up with Gimp and why is it so fucked?

I want to contain a piece of shit package under a directory so that I can remove it completely without any residue configs/packages.

Normally I'd install it under WINE but it's not working.

Any other ways?

It's viber

I feel like a dumbass, but I can't figure out how to install KDE on my Mint Cinnamon install. If I do "sudo apt-get install kde-full" it just says it's unable to locate the package

I suggest that you install KDE Neon, because there will be different packages doing the same thing and the software indexing will be fucked.

Like there will be two "Files", two "Settings" etc.

However try $sudo apt install kubuntu-full

Emacs 25.1 came out today. Most promising is Xwidgets: a new feature for embedding native widgets inside Emacs buffers. It basically allows using webkitgtk+ in emacs, finally giving emacs a decent browser after all these years. The emacs OS is one step closer to becoming a reality.

Wait, are you saying to do KDE Neon or Kubuntu?

now it only needs a decent text editor

Your pc is shit and your dpi is too high

If you do as I prefer, get a fresh distro called KDE Neon

or issue the command and install kubuntu-full pacakge

Using evil for vim emulation is excellent. You get best of both worlds with it.

chroot

>your pc is shit
So why can i use Blender and play GTA V without problems?

>your dpi is too high
No, it's not.

Oh okay, thanks!

I see no problem here, my system is 7 years old.

>thinks 3d rendering is the same as 2d

reboot

Is there a linux program that's equivalent to the FreeBSD jails?

Ich möchte nur einmal kurz etwas einwerfen. Was sie als Linux bezeichnen ist in Warheit GNU/Linux, oder wie ich es vor kurzem zu bezeichen begonnen habe, GNU plus Linux. Linux an sich ist kein Betriebssystem, sondern eine weitere freie Komponente eines voll Funktionsfähigen GNU Systems, welches durch die GNU corelibs, shell utilities und andere wichtige System Komponente nützlich gemacht wird und ein Betriebssystem ist, wie es durch das POSIX definiert ist.

Viele Computer Nutzer benutzen eine modifizierte Version des GNU Systems jeden Tag ohne es zu bemerken. Durch eine eigenartige Wendung wird die Version von GNU, die heute weit verbreitet ist, oft Linux genannt und viele der Nutzer sind sich nicht bewusst, dass es eigentlich das GNU System ist, welches von dem GNU Projekt entwickelt wurde.

Es existiert wirklich ein Linux, und diese Leute benutzen es, jedoch handelt es sich dabei nur um einen Teil ihres Systems. Linux ist ein Kernel: das Programm im System welches die durch die Maschine bereitgestellten Ressourcen an andere laufende Programme verteilt. Der Kernel ist ein essentieller Teil eines Betriebssystems,aber ohne den Rest des Systems nutzlos; er kann nur in Zusammenarbeit mit dem Rest des Systems funktionieren. Linux wird für gewöhnlich in Kombination mit dem GNU Betriebssystem verwendet: Das ganze System ist eigentlich GNU mit dem Linux Kernel, oder GNU/Linux. Alle so genannten Linux Distributionen sind in Warheit Distributionen von GNU/LINUX!

I tried 25 a few weeks ago and whenever I 'M-x image-dired' it would say, "this emacs mishandles this image type" and when I try to close it "Loading charset map: Too many open files". I had to sigkill it to stop it. It still did it with the release version. I made sure it wasn't related to any of my configs and the usual. There were a few other problems.

So I'll be sticking with the 24 version for now.

I could do something about it but I can't be bothered right now.

I didn't say it was the same, but if 3D rendering works why shouldn't 2D work?
Did it and still the same.

chroot jail.

shit drivers
shit de/wm
shit compositing

I use the AMD opensource drivers. Are they shit?
I tested on Gnome, KDE and xfce.

All ati driver suck
use prop

iirc the ati prob drivers are even worse than the foss drivers

I've heard a chroot jail is easy to escape from. How can I lock it down?

Why not just call GNU/Linux "GNU"?

Install it and now my system wont boot.
Great!

>not showing X11 to your new drivers

Crossposting this in /sqt/ hopefully someone can help me.

I'm trying to get Kodibuntu running in a virtual machine to use as a media center. I'm using Hyper-V, have created the Kodibuntu machine as a Generation 1, and assigned a RemoteFX 3D Adapter to it before starting the installation from the .iso.

Once installation is complete, I get a message that tells me I need an OpenGL supported video card. After researching, I think I just need to get the RemoteFX drivers installed, but I am not very familiar with Linux. Is there a shell command I can run to find those drivers (do they even exist?) or another kind of workaround?

Why doesn't the system does it by himself? Why can't it Just work?

Because there are countless variables that make it "just work", you dont have them set up

So i need to spend more time making the OS work than actually doing someting?
That shit isn't for me.

>isnt for me
>i cant spend 30 minutes reading how to make things work, so in the future, i have the base knowledge to understand what is basically going on.

Yeah ok
Back to OS Cuck

So in the future that kinda shit wiil happen again?
Great!

Learning basic knowledge about the system,say where to look for config files, and where to find valuable logs that can tell you what is exactly going wrong, would be a great start.

Or go back to paying cucks at the apple store $500 to reboot it

Thinking about trying out one of the GNOME-centric distros.

What significant benefits would I see to picking Fedora over Ubuntu GNOME? Does it require a significant amount of extra work to keep it functioning well? (My observations suggest it's mostly just a few extra steps at the beginning, then you're good to go. I don't want to spend a lot of time dicking around with my machine - I want to do stuff with it, not to it.)

centos

What music players do you use? I'm currently using Deadbeef. I like the configurability, but I want to be able to control it from my system tray in KDE.

Same.
All I want, honestly, is something I can make like my foobar from windows, which deadbeef offers.
Tabbed playlists on the right, just each album organized by folder structure, with title headers for album names.
Giant album art pane taking up the rest of the left of the screen.

VLC, mpd, mplayer.

mpd+ sonata if im going to listen to albums.
Other wise mpv

Is there a decent icon for IceDove out there?

I externally chuckled about how bad that logo looks.

Here's a minimal meme.

Speaking of IceDove, I'm thinking about moving away from Windows for my work computer. One of my main concerns is business applications, specifically Office. Our office uses Skype for Business, Outlook, and some other stuff. I know there's no perfect solution, and I could do A LOT of it over the web and just ignore Outlook entirely, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. Any recommendations? Which distro is most business friendly, and are there specific apps you'd recommend?

Things wrong with this thread:
1. 0-indexed lists
2. GNU (where ls.c is 4000 lines long and unreadable due to macro abuse)
3. Calling it GNU/Linux (yeah, GNU's on it becouse it contributed what, a few utilities and a shit compiler?)

no better at all desu.

>What significant benefits would I see to picking Fedora over Ubuntu GNOME?
Better and more current Gnome packages. Not much difference in stability. Harder time getting proprietary extras if that is something you care about, but not very difficult. Fedora works just fine without a lot of dicking around, but the short lifecycle is obnoxious for productivity. If you don't need the more current packages just use Ubuntu Gnome, Debian, or CentOS.

Fedora or Manjaro are good business/user-friendly distros.

If your looking for something similar to Windows, you should use a Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce, or MATE. However, GNOME is good for computers with specific uses.

If you want an office suite, LibreOffice is the way to go.

>Manjaro
>business

Good laugh mate. Business is reserved for Redhat and Canonical.

that has more to do with servers, doesn't it?
Though, I'd imagine business would want debian stable or something, design some setup of it to distribute that works all perfectly and then use that. Or, like, ubuntu LTS?
Iunno.

Not really, no. Ubuntu is the standard business workstation Linux atm, RHEL was the standard but lost of lot of ground over the last few years. Most servers are still RHEL/CentOS, but Ubuntu and Debian are making gains. Fedora is an oddity, but I've seen it before on workstations. Nothing else really popular enough to register.

> Fedora is an oddity, but I've seen it before on workstations
Scientists?
Anyways, huh. I wonder if one could set up a company selling support for debian.
Anyways, ubuntu LTS and debian stable are exactly what I suggested, so I got it right anyways.

>I wonder if one could set up a company selling support for debian.
Subcontractors are hired to support any Linux systems, most of them are competent with Debian-based and Redhat ecosystems.

I dont know if I ask this here or in the stupid questions thread, but:
What exactly is Xorg, what is Wayland and why there's some bate against systemd?

I meant hate, sorry

just how gnu are you pham??

so i just recently installed fedora onto my t420, it is comfy and while i do like it and i'm pleased everything works right out of the box.
it does seem to be a little bit slow.

my memepad specs are 4GB RAM, and an i5-2520M. which should hardly be slow running linux, when it runs winbloat 7 perfectly well.

should i drop fedora for something like debian or lubuntu, or what?

Thanks to both of you. I've run Ubuntu pretty consistently, but wondered about Fedora. RHEL is $$$, and if I'm going to pay, I'd rather use my dev licenses of Win10 and Office for free and know it works flawlessly.

I've tried moving before, and had poor luck. I really want to give it another go though.

Xorg is a display server. It's really old, but it works well, which is why it hasn't been replaced yet. It's what enables you to have a desktop environment which you can click and watch asian cartoons on.

Wayland is also a display server. It's really new, it's been hyped for 7 years, and it's just now at a point where it's usable. It's the replacement for Xorg.

Systemd is a project which originally started as a replacement for init.d, a bootstrapper. It's a lot more than just a bootstrapper now, though, and a lot of people don't like that. They believe that one project should do one thing, because that's how UNIX did things.

systemv, not init.d, derp*

Long-run I think Ubuntu is going to take over. It's competitive in the server market and dominant on the desktop right now.

L-like two or three levels my friend

No, seriously, I'm pretty new on this stuff, I messed around with Ubuntu, now I just installed Arch.

Thank you.

bumping because no one is giving me any insight

Xubuntu or Lubuntu

Why aren't you using Archian?

You're fucked, MS Office and Libre Office don't work 100% together and shit will break if you edit the same file in both.
Though you might just need a VM for that, you will need a solution for it.

Doesn't make sense

That is one of my concerns. Hopefully MS brings Office to Linux some day. I could see it happening.

Or the whole world just accepts that MS Office documents are a shitty format, but that won't happen.

Mint KDE or Mint Cinammon?

Ubuntu. Don't use Mint.
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

just like said, dont use mint

HELP ME Cred Forums how the fuck do i get this key out i cant enter my room

hack it

Nice.

Pliers.

Any good GNU/Linux irc channels I could idle in? Just set up weechat and need some imaginary friends.

I installed xubuntu and connected to the internet, now I installed i3wm and don't have internet access anymore, how do I get internet on i3?

which distro has no systemd?

Is it normal if my fans are almost always at maximum speed after I installed Nvidia drivers on Mint 18 Mate?
If I change to xorg drivers I noticed that it uses Intel HD graphics and fans go completely silent like they were when I had ubuntu or Debian on the same laptop.
Temp goes up to 70C. Is that too high? How can my integratd graphics perform same as the Nvidia graphic card while not overheating?

gentoo uses openRC

So I'm trying Linux for the first time, going with Ubuntu Mate, as recommended by the quiz in the OP.

I'm going to be installing it on a low-end netbook at first, but I notice that Mate has 1024 x 768 resolution as a minimum requirement, but the netbook is only 1024 x 600. Am I going to have any problems as a result?

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#linuxalone

best file encryption tool?

u can try the live cd, it's pretty much the same right after you install it

7zip with a hard to guess password

Thanks, will do

gpg
retard

For storage? Encrypted container
For sharing? gpg

anything still use inits?

hownewareu?

So, running the latest Ubuntu on my Macbook Pro, and when using it with my WiFi at home, it always drops the connection after 15/20 minutes. It haven't done this when using the WiFi someplace else, so I'm guessing it's something to do with my network here at home. Any ideas on how I troubleshoot this? Also, how do I get a log to show you guys?

install gentoo

Gentoo doesn't respect my freedoms.

help me troubleshoot my desktop. it experiences freezes and i have to hard reset it often.

it has ubuntu (DE is jewnity), and has a almost vanilla installation (i only removed shit I don't use like libreoffice - nothing that can cause instability).
GPU is an old nvidia 9800GT, CPU is a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600, neither the CPU or GPU are OC, 8GB RAM. It freezes with both the nvidia drivers and the default drivers.
the freezes happen at random (it can run for 4 days fine, then freeze after 1 day).
before it freezes, all icons and the DE seem to glitch (they don't appear anymore but are still here and work, but very slowly, then a few seconds later, it completely freezes.)

is there somewhere where linux writes what happens and why the system froze to help me find out what's going on?

gnome-system-log

What am I in for?

My bluetooth isn't working. I can pair/connect to my cellphone but I can't send or receive files. When I try I get the message

>The name org.bluez.obex was not provided by any .service files

I don't know why this is happening, I tried a live cd of a different distro and it worked. I'm using Blueman.

Pepe memes

please post post-installation

best torrent client?

qbittorrent

No one cares

i just deleted it

When i add torrent 2/3 times programs does some force exit. Then when i start it again, torrent is not added

So because of accumulated bad karma I'm forced to work on some C# on a windows 10 machine. I'm currently containing the cancer in visual studio 2015 on a virtual machine, but I'd much prefer to be able to edit from the host machine and then simply go to the VM when I need to compile and run.

Anyone got experience with something similar? Host OS is ubuntu and my editor of choice is (spac)emacs.

I know emacs has tramp mode, but I've never had to interact with a windows system in ages so I'm hoping someone has had a similar issue.

rtorrent

qbittorrent is one of those software that works perfectly for some but is completely broken for others. Is that this the pain of programming in c++?

Visual studio is great, stop being faggot.
I am using linux for last 8 years, but on programming classes i got no problem with windows/visual studio/eclipse

>programming in c++?
No

>eclipse
How can anybody not have problems with this piece of shit?

If you're using VirtualBox, I guess you could make your project directory a shared folder and mount it in the guest?

3 years ago when i had android programming classes, we used it for that. It worked fine.

That's really helpful advice user, thanks.

I somehow fucked up the last sentence. I was wondering if the problem was some (involuntary) badly written c++ code.

by all accounts, visual studio is arguably *the* reason to use windows/c#

but there's a few ways to achieve your goal with varying levels of pain-in-the-ass'ed-ness

the simplest solution would probably be use something like a shared folder (with the caveats that it brings - not being able to modify the source file simultaneously) between host and guess

a second solution off of the top of my head would be to use something like git, while it also has its drawbacks (having to push/pull constantly) it comes with some benefits like being able to use hooks which depending on your setup may be able to be used to pull to the guest machine and compile on the guest machine automatically if you write some hacky scripts (but perhaps visual studio has git functionality as is)

either way best of luck, you crazy bastard

>using IDEs to develop programs
just kill yourself where you stand.

Of course, it really is the obvious solution but it didn't cross my mind since I've been content with ssh and vim when using guest gnu/linux operating systems...

Thanks user

The answer is still no.

>linux vim poser

bla bla bla

qBittorrent

Exactly.

real programmers use butterflies

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

(you)

No it is not bait you dumb faggot.
>bla bla bla

that white thing on the bottom right edge triggers my autism

It's not so much that I have a problem with visual studio, but you do realize how fucking annoying it is to have to deal with a huge complex IDE for a one-off task on an operating system I cannot stand, right?

>but you do realize how fucking annoying it is to have to deal with a huge complex IDE for a one-off task on an operating system I cannot stand, right
No,
VS i great for everything. VS is only good thing that microsoft ever made.
vector matrix;
for(int i = 0; i

Imagine if I forced you to use my exact emacs configuration for writing some one off project, do you think you would have enjoyed that? Keep in mind I have all sorts of tweaks geared towards my non-standard keyboard layout

>non-standard keyboard layout
And if you had said something like that from the start people would have been more understanding why you dislike it instead of spouting
>muh bloated IDEs

>Tfw started using Linux Lite
Actually pretty good, I only had to install my favorite font and the theme was there

It is not the same.

All you need to do in VS i type code and click on play button to compile and run it.
There is nothing complicated about that.

You think hitting the compile button is why I dont want to use an IDE?

Is wanting to do something your own way instead of just doing what everyone else does looked down upon in india or something?

I'm trying to get hardware acceleration to work on i7-6700 with debian jessie. I upgraded every imaginable libva, drm and mesa package, as well as i965-va-driver to the jessie-backprots version. I'm running 4.7.0 kernel.

Lspci shows that the i915 driver is in use for the iGPU and no driver for nvidia vga device (I blacklisted nouveau), VA-API version is 0.39.3.

vainfo fails with error: va_getDriverName() returns -1

output of dmesg | grep -i drm
[ 44.560079] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[ 44.651648] [drm] Memory usable by graphics device = 4096M
[ 44.652080] fb: switching to inteldrmfb from simple
[ 44.652616] [drm] Replacing VGA console driver
[ 44.658668] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[ 44.658671] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[ 44.667685] [drm] Finished loading i915/skl_dmc_ver1.bin (v1.23)
[ 44.939700] [drm] failed to retrieve link info, disabling eDP
[ 44.944163] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20160425 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[ 45.212512] fbcon: inteldrmfb (fb0) is primary device
[ 45.535038] i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
[ 46.811705] [drm] RC6 on

Any ideas on how to get it working?

Which distro has the most helpful community?

Define helpful.

I have been using antergos as my daily driver for about a week now, and the one thing that has been really bugging me is how slow scrolling is. I've noticed this with every distribution i've ever used. is there any way to speed up scrolling? i.e scrolling down a page faster using the scroll wheel.

thinkpad or chromebook?

I heard it's really good and one of the only "problems" is needing a 3rd party repo to play mp3's and other proprietary file types like that. I did it one time and it was pretty easy, so not much of a downside.

They also have a big unified settings manager called YaST (yet another setup manager) which works well too

no issues ehre

fedora 24

maybe you machine is weak?

I have a VM server that's running windows 10 that just loves to restart randomly for updates
What linux os should I choose to run vmware workstation vms?

Is there any KDE Plasma theme that still updates and is available in dark colors?

Manjaro theme is quite good, asides from the color scheme, and I really like that they made everything consistent and constantly updating it.

Breeze Dark has a nice color scheme but is beyond terrible.

What's wrong with breeze dark?

There is arc-dark but I think it's hideous.

Look at these disgusting bars around every fucking thing.

The blue line going around the selection box?

The blue line that goes around every little thing, including the selection box.

It's even on the god damn taskbar icons.

You mean when asking stuff? probably gentoo, debian or trisquel.

Pretty sure that's just an option you can turn off in Widget Style.

I want to try Linux but there are so many different Linuxes to choose from, which one is the BEST?

The one you like the most.

GNU Linux-libre

Whatever your distro ships

whatever you do, dont fall for mint or arch

It's more like you paying them to take you in the pooper. Like a true iCuck.

Im trying out arch on my thinkpad. When i used screenfetch i saw there is no info about gpu. Does the drivers gets installed in installation process or do i have to do it on my own?

So after switching from Xubuntu to Fedora my laptop still takes 30-40 seconds to boot. Is it just my laptop? It's a fairly new Lenovo Edge.

Gonna try Arch and Debian netinst next.

I already disabled that. Somehow it keeps drawing it. I assume it's related to the theme.

Where's the problem?

I don't know what's wrong for me.

archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/emacs/

25.1 is out on Arch, but I don't get that update for some reason.

Also, it's weird that Xwidget is enabled by default when I compile it, because the last time I tried the graphic web browser in GNU Emacs it barely worked.

Is there something wrong with pacman for me?

It's out for like 1 hour, it just hasn't hit your mirror yet

So it's normal? I just thought something was up because Debian on my desktop boots in no more than 10 seconds.

>Your emacs was not compiled with xwidgets support

Fuck the guy who said Arch was made with developper in minds with packages with most optional features enabled.

It's not.

What do? I don't want to spend 10 hours compiling emacs both for Arch and my OSX at school.

on the basis that you said "I want to try Linux" I'd say ubuntu

how long did xubuntu take? i use fedora and 30-40 seconds is about right for me as well

>download the tarball
>./configure --with-Xwidget or whatever it is
>make
>wait for a couple of minutes
>sudo make install
>you're done
It's not that hard, and Xwidget isn't worth it. Just install Conkeror if you want a browser that feels like Emacs.

It's not theme related, it doesn't do that for me so there is a setting somewhere for it.

keepassX wont accept ibus/mozc IME Input
I want to use IME input in my password, though.
What do.

>couple of minutes
>to build emacs

Nice joke, not everyone has a dedicated super computer to build emacs.

And there are other features not enabled by default I'd like to try out, besides xwidgets.

write your stupid weeb password in romaji

No, I will not, fuck off.
Now how to make Keepassx accept IME input?

Xubuntu took a little over a minute.

I'm just looking for something that just werks for my laptop. 30-40secs isn't too bad I guess I'll stick with Fedora.

>Not even denying it

Answer is still no, fuck off.
Theres nothing to deny.

>The software isn't shit YOU'RE shit so THERE
You're not gonna drive me away but this shit certainly drives away some.

>vector as a matrix type
learn to program first

What's an easy way to set up mega, onedrive, gdrive and yandexdisk as one single storage on linux?

and now think about what you've written.
for the most users, its enough to use propietary software. safari isnt supported anymore, ok i take another browser. my photo organizing software isnt supported anymore? i take another.

only security software like gpg needs to be free software.
big companies write the most of the software they need by themselves. and if they dont, they just buy software product like SAP, DynamicNAV,.. which has kindof lifetime support(ofc you have to pay) because these companies wont get away

What file manager do y'all use? Want to try something different than Thunar

arch or debian?

Both

nemo

Would LFS be a useful exercise for a complete novice?

Thunar

I have ranger as well but I seldom use it. I prefer using bash desu.

>install opensuse
>decide to play my music collection
>try to copy stuff from my ipod using gtkpod
>gtkpod hangs
>end up copying files manually with the file browser
>music player hangs
>decide to restart
>system hangs

God dangit LINUX!!!

Dolphin.

odrive does everything EXCEPT Mega

debian, I wouldnt bother with Arch

>I wouldnt bother with Arch
why?

arch is a meme, dont fall for it

everything is meme here

>opensuse
>probably not using DeadBeef

I guess you deserve.

Neither. None of those "just works" and all require a amount of your time to troubleshoot and fix whatever shit happens.

Just install anything based on them and be happy.

Debian actually just works.

you probably need audio codecs if my experience with fedora is anything to go by, my man

>not everyone has a dedicated super computer to build emacs
It took a couple minutes for me to build it on my old core 2 duo laptop on a single core, and it took like 20 minutes in the worst case scenario.

So there is the xfce-taskmanager, Are there similar ones? Terminal ones like top and htop show too much info than I need and I just want something simplistic like xfce-taskmanager

how would you comment arch based distros (continuous release) vs debian?

needlessly complicated for average users

I'm not the guy you asked, but when you say
>arch based distros (continuous release) vs debian
it sounds like you don't know about Debian Unstable. Debian has 3 main branches that packages go through over time. Unstable -> Testing -> Stable.

Unstable is (more or less) Debian rolling release, packages are upstream and updated continuously like Arch.

Arch has a pretty good page on its wiki comparing itself to all the big distros:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Debian_GNU.2FLinux

would you recommend arch or unstable debian way? or is it too much unstable

Is kwin any good? How easily can I get KDE applications to work with another windows manager like fluxbox and make it look pretty like KDE usually is?

>make it look pretty like KDE usually is
[citation needed]

Get Debian Sid or Testing.

Maybe the word I should have used was eye candy, I just like how fancy KDE looks.

I've just never seen a decent looking KDE setup, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

A solution is provided in post #2. Try reading.

Look on the applications page on the Arch Wiki.

No.
Yes.
Maybe.

Pick one.

>would you recommend arch or unstable debian way? or is it too much unstable
I haven't used Arch much myself, so I can't really comment on how it compares to Debian Unstable. Both distros are incredibly popular and both have tons of software+support available to them.

One thing I can say for sure is that ANY rolling-release is inherently unstable (because packages are changing), so you have to expect that things could break, and that you may have to go out of your way to fix them. Sometimes all you can do is wait until a bug/issue is fixed. Everyone uses different hardware and software, so what's stable for some isn't for others. Users on both distros have experienced years of stability with no issues while others have been unable to install either of them, or have constant breakages. You never really know until you try it for yourself.

I personally chose Debian (after trying many distros over the years) for their stance on free software and their well-worn development cycle.

Any idea how to install this?
I'm using yaourt.
aur.archlinux.org/packages/dmmediaconverter/

>Want to try using a DE
>have to memorize this
codelinks.pachanka.org/post/42559163809/awesome-window-manager-keyboard-shortcuts

DEs are for loosers, get a WM

>using yaourt
>an AUR helper used to download and install packages from the AUR
>asks how to install it

Average Arch, no wait... average Manjaro user right there. Enjoying the power of the AUR yet? Something is telling me you also added that archlinux.fr repo, installed zsh, Powerline and Infinality.

Did you even read that link?

And? Most DE/WM have tons of shortcuts, you usually don't need to know all of them to use them.
Even Windows has shortcuts and people get by without knowing them, too.

Can some tell me, on >pic
50.5 is downloading speed and 13.2 is uploading, right?
>rTorrent

Newsflash: desktop environments have a window manager. Idiot.

Im not sure if i want to reinstall system when new version comes out

All right except for the manjaro.
I'm using antergos.
I'm getting this
ERROR: Failure while downloading dmMediaConverter_v1.8.0_linux_x64.tar.gz
Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build dmmediaconverter.

found the DE babby

>antergos
that even one step below arch
what is wrong with you dude

>Failure while downloading dmMediaConverter_v1.8.0_linux_x64.tar.gz

What possibly could this mean?

[unsubscribe]

Get a better windows manager like fluxbox, not awesome or i3.

I can understand powerline and infinality.
But what's this about french repos?

Monkeys following other monkeys; non of them really know what they are doing.

>i don't understand core concepts, but only parrot misinformation i saw on the internet to appear smart

> Failure while downloading dmMediaConverter_v1.8.0_linux_x64.tar.gz
Geez, I wonder what that could be. Hint: look at the PKGBUILD and try opening the download URL. Hint 2: it's invalid. Hint 3: edit the PKGBUILD and change the URL to the new one found on the program's webpage.

The download link is expired/incorrect?

Thread new:

>But what's this about french repos?
Idiots keep adding that one 3rd party repository, mainly to install Yaourt. Some idiot added it to an infographic which the other idiots must have used to install the distribution.
It's not the fact that it's French; it's about them not being able to install 1 simple package "manually" with a PKGBUILD file. They just randomly type some commands (adding that repository) to download random things they might not even need. All that leads to hilarious situations like that one guy who was editing his bashrc, but wondering why the changes didn't apply to his zsh.

excuse me, I meant WM

Wow, so you are not totally stupid.
Congratulations.
So now, why are you asking how to install it? Should be obvious you need to fix the URL

get a DE, WMs are for loosers

And then?
After I edit the PKGBuild file.
How do I install it so that my system still see it?
I'm asking here because this soppuse to be /fglt/ but it seems you guys are having a rough day.

There's a whole page on the Arch Wiki explaining how it works. Why do you need someone to spoonfeed you information you can easily find online? It's a step by step guide, colorcoded and everything.

Just because it's friendly doesn't mean we like stupid questions that could all be answered with read the fucking manual.

how do i choose stable/unstable version of debian? i dont see such download options

He doesn't even have to read a bland manual. He could have just looked it up on the internet and followed the 1st result leading to a Wiki article that explains it in 3 sentences and multiple colors.

Are you referring to this?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
It only explain how to write PKGBuild file.
Stop meme RTFM.
I'm asking if you can edit the PKGBUILD file from within yaourt.

You download stable and then switch to unstable or testing by editing the repository (apt sources) file and updating your system.

Arch Wiki is its manual

It also explains how to install it in the 3rd paragraph.

> edit the PKGBUILD file from within yaourt.
Yaourt isn't a text editor, you can't edit a text file with it.

>archbabbies are still lamenting

>Packages in Arch Linux are built using the makepkg utility. When makepkg is run, it searches for a PKGBUILD file in the current directory and follows the instructions therein to either compile or otherwise acquire the files to build a package archive (pkgname.pkg.tar.xz). The resulting package contains binary files and installation instructions, readily installable with pacman.
Since you seem to have memorized the arch wiki.
Care to explain what this means?
Also I mean is there a way for yaourt to pull the AUR pkgbuild file and edit it locally then run it?

>explain what this means
Nigga, it's already explained.

>Also I mean is there a way for yaourt to pull the AUR pkgbuild file and edit it locally then run it?
Most likely. Run "man yaourt" and see if there are any flags to do that.

You mean, I have to run makepkg to create package.pkg.tar.xz from the PKGBuild file?
Then have to run pacman to install it?
Is there a way to install it directly?
And will this goes to yaourt or pacman?

Just say yes when it asks you if you want to edit the packagebuild

>You mean, I have to run makepkg to create package.pkg.tar.xz from the PKGBuild file?
Yes.

>Then have to run pacman to install it?
Yes.

>Is there a way to install it directly?
Yes, with a flag passed to makepg. Read its manpage.

>And will this goes to yaourt or pacman?
I don't understand that question, but I doubt you understand what yaourt is and its relationship to pacman.

>I doubt you understand what yaourt is and its relationship to pacman
You're absolutely correct.
I mean when you run pacman -Syu only packages installed with pacman get updated.
Packages installed with yaourt don't and you'd have to run yaourt -Syu.

i use Fedora with GNOME

Because pacman only handles the packages from repositories defined in your pacman config (by default on the official repositories; and that's good). Yaort keeps track of packages installed from the AUR and it's also a front-end for pacman.
Don't be an idiot, learn how to run one simple command that installs a package from a PKGBUILD and stop being one of those idiots that installs everything from the AUR.

But how to handle updates? Also manually?

It's up now on arch repos.

Too bad that now I have problems with fonts on the daemon.

Having trouble using the mute button on my x220 running antergos. is there a certain config file i need to edit to resolve this?

Yes.

Anybody's University have a Linux club? Thinking about starting one to meet other Linux users but I don't really know what we would do aside from have maybe weekly lessons for new users. What does your University's club do for activities?

>You mean, I have to run makepkg to create package.pkg.tar.xz from the PKGBuild file?
>Yes.
>Then have to run pacman to install it?
>Yes.
How is this different from compiling it from source?

i joined an open source club in my university and it's been a year and nothing. they just hang out around the club, most of them uses linux but some still use w10

yesterday they told us to gather since theres freshman and stuff but the topic was introducing new DEs, fuck that

I don't have any problems on my system, is the mute button set to mute the system?
I mean if you went all minimal, you might have to add the functionality yourself.
Check the xev output

It is compiling from source.

then why go through all that trouble?

Because it's less trouble. It creates a clean package which your package manager can utilize to install, upgrade and remove cleanly. It also automates the build process.

Pressing mute doesn't do anything. However, when I mute it through the system, the indicator LED turns on. Using a live USB at the moment, maybe that's the reason, thought I never had this problem on other distros while running a live USB