Now you can run bash on Windows 10

>now you can run bash on Windows 10

Why are you still using shitty Linux distros instead of bowing down to the superior OS, /g?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=RhzfEzndpgM
aur.archlinux.org/packages/opentoonz-git/
github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz/blob/master/doc/how_to_build_linux.md
github.com/opentoonz/GTS/pull/4
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/user_support
linuxbsdos.com/2011/10/12/how-to-play-windows-games-in-linux/
developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux#Step_1:_setting_up_Wine
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html)
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/04/22/windows-subsystem-for-linux-overview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because I don't "bow down" to an operating system.

Because I don't have to burn a Windows license when I use OMV for Plex.

Especially Windows.

>2000 + 42
>using Plex

Kodi FTW

Because you should kill yourself.

This is a serious question for people using Linux for gaming, dont you have to deal with compatibility? Or if you use something that handles compatibility don't you suffer in performance? Always contemplated switching but it sounds like the benefits dont outweight the costs.

Linux is a meme OS. No one really uses it.

People in /g all dual boot it just to take screenshots and post here, but in the end, everyone goes to Windows when in need to do some real work or gaming.

Thank you

Because i like linux more, sorry.

Depends on what are your priorities, i only use windows for multi-platform development because i test my programs at least on linux, mac and windows, however for my personal usage i don't use windows anymore. Regarding the games is true that windows is "better" for gaming because most game developers are trained into using windows-only tools. As you said if games is your priority stick with windows but also consider that if you want to have more options in the future supporting developers with a multi-platform approach is the way to go, at the end this is an egg-chicken games that will not get better if the marketshare doesn't increases.

You're completely wrong and should KYS my dear lady.

I knew someone was gonna try to spread FUD, here we go.
>real work

youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/

>gaming
The no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos

>>Linux is a meme OS.
niceme.me

Nobody uses linux just for gaming. They play the handful of linux games on the side, and dont really care about the performance hit.

It has the fantastic feature of killing all of your Linux background processes when you close the last Bash window.

I'll stick with my Linux VM.

>They play the handful of linux games on the side, and dont really care about the performance hit.
This. Linux is nicer in a lot of ways, if gaming were the only reason to use an OS i wouldn't have a computer and i'd get a console instead. I don't get why some people tries to spread lies on linux instead of caring about the elephant in the room (microsoft).

>tfw opening the OpenToonz github and seeing that it is only available for Windows and Mac OS, and GTS is Windows Only

>tfw no face

Because I can't use this to run my servers, see: I do use Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop, but Linux remains the server OS of choice because Windows Server is convoluted as shit.

Literally this

You're completely wrong and should KYS my dear lady.

Actually, bash on Windows is for development only. They already said that it's not good for server use, and that if you want a Linux server, just use a damn Linux server.

That being said, while Linux is pretty good server-wise, there is no reason for a sane person to use it as a desktop OS.

>tfw opening the OpenToonz github and seeing that it is only available for Windows and Mac OS
It's normal because it used to not be available on linux but now that is open source it'll be a fantastic tool for linux users.
youtube.com/watch?v=RhzfEzndpgM
aur.archlinux.org/packages/opentoonz-git/
github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz/blob/master/doc/how_to_build_linux.md

>and GTS is Windows Only
Sorry, the previous post is pasta and i don't remember all the content, what does GTS stands for?

Putting bash on Windows will just make it much more easy for hackers to root Windows computers. This is a disadvantage, not an advantage for Windows.

>there is no reason for a sane person to use it as a desktop OS.
Why not?

GTS is the scanning tool developed by Ghibli to be used with Toonz.

Actually, no. There are many issues, mainly bash can't mess with Windows programs, and to do anything system-related you need to run bash from an elevated command prompt.

Linux root user will have root privileges only inside the "linux userspace". Outside of that, you re still blocked by Windows users and privileges.

You're not exactly understanding why bash on Windows would make a hacker's work more easy. I didn't expect you to anyway.

No, I'm not, because you didn't explain your line of thought, instead just blabbering about how "that damn bash will let those l33t h4x0rz root Windows".

You have nothing.

Oh, you mean this?
github.com/opentoonz/GTS/pull/4

As i said, until some months ago this software was not open source so no one was able to port it to other platforms but now that is open source there's already people working on making it work completely on linux.

A hacker doesn't hack from a GUI like script kiddies. Where do you think a hacker does his hacking from?
>bash

Any computer with bash makes it much easier if you know what to do.

OMG! YOU DON"T SAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Have you missed the part where I said bash workspace is separated from Windows workspace, or are you just dumb?

Do you really think bash will let you edit the registry and mess up with Windows system files?

Because this is the year of the linux desktop.

You obviously don't understand the purpose of bash if you think it's separate from the Windows workspace. Do you think files are not accessible from this 'bash shell in Windows?'

Also if it bash was separate from the Windows system files bash would have no fucking use on fucking Windows.

why would I run a linux shell on a botnet os instead of just installing linux?

Jeez dude. Just read this damn thing:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/user_support

Take a look at the part where it says "Permissions".

Do you know what will happen if you get into bash, become root, and then try to change a system file? The system will punch you in the face and scream "YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION, YOU SCRUB".

Root user on bash is root only for linux-related stuff. Messing around with anything system-wise on Windows still requires an elevated command prompt, which you can't get from within the bash. And if the l33t h4x0r have access to an elevated command prompt, getting into bash won't really give him anything else (unless he's a script kiddie whose script works only from within a Linux environment).

/thread
only one answer was needed...

Well it goes like this.

I had a newer laptop (only about 2 years old) that died because the battery wouldn't charge anymore. Before that I had another laptop that ran Windows 7 but hadn't been started up in the entire 2 years I had the new one. I knew there would be an incredibly long startup process since the thing hadn't been on in so long, but everything on it still worked at least. I really didn't want to do that long boot process though so I didn't. I decided to just live boot and save anything I needed on my hard drive on my old laptop. I went with Linux Mint because the semester had just started and I needed something that was completely newfag friendly. I liked it so much I made a partition and decided to dual boot instead of booting from the USB. I never boot into Windows 7 at all, but I leave it there because of nostalgia. This laptop never would have been able to survive running Windows 10 though, and the whole reason I got another laptop was because Windows 7 was running so slow on this computer that it was practically unusable. Linux is a lot lighter though and for anything I do, this old laptop is just as fast at my new one that died so I haven't really felt the need to fix it other than fear that this one would die, but then I got an old Dell Latitude and I have it as a backup now as well.

>Inb4 hurr poorfag can't afford a good enough computer to run my bloatware OS that has background tasks ad infinitium.

Because i don't want to use keylogger 10

Not him but the no games argument is still true. Windows is the best OS for gaming mostly due to DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for console to Windows to won't affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the Linux marketshare is small compared to Windows due to garbage like OpenGL/OpenAL, unstable ABIs and horrible audio stack.

The fact though is that the situation on Linux is still the same as decade ago, it's unstable trash and now those who prefer Linux still have nogames, keeping the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for Linux to compete in the gaming side. You can beg like bunch of entitled chidren on Steam forums spamming epic "no tux = no bux"

I notice some people want Linux to happen but let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux? Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing to any meaningful way to technology.

Gaming on Linux:
linuxbsdos.com/2011/10/12/how-to-play-windows-games-in-linux/
developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux#Step_1:_setting_up_Wine

>DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out,
Better how exactly?

Linux is the underdog, while microsoft is playing shady monopoly.

I directly benefit from it, that i can play more videogames on the os I prefer.

/thread

/thread

>>now you can run bash on Windows 10
1. You could already run bash on previous versions of Windows. MinGW, Cygwin, and various other ports of GNU utils/libs for Windows have been around for years

2. The Windows Subsystem For Linux runs in its own separate environment, and it's limited in number of other ways

>Why are you still using shitty Linux distros instead of bowing down to the superior OS, /g?
I'm still using GNU/Linux instead of Windows because non-free software is unethical. Windows in particular has been confirmed to be malware and spyware in a number of ways. It also has a universal backdoor to access all your data and modify your OS. See (gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html)

Also because *The Windows Subsystem for Linux* isn't a full replacement for a GNU/Linux OS. It's an extra layer of botched edition of Ubuntu running on top of Windows 10.

because he doesn't like it >:( therefore it's bad

I hope you're just pretending to be retarded

>hey guys can you tell me your subjective opinion so I can say you're wrong and an autist, thank you

>superior
>spied
Fuck off Microshill.

>now you can run Powershell on Linux

Why are you still using shitty windows 10 instead of bowing down to the superior OS, Cred Forums?

Why are you still desperately trying to get strangers on the Internet to change to Windows 10? Concerned about job security?

>using proprietary bloatware

came here to post this.

because windows is a pile of shit with botnet

and linux is way better

Is that command the equivalent of dir or ls?

Wtf.

fucking /thread

yep, infact that's similar to what dir and ls are aliased to as well

Not true, I always went to Linux to dev but honestly since bash came to windows I just run my scripts through that.

Seriosuly this, I tried full time linux and failed badly. Its a server OS. Good bless the new MS pajeet for bringing bash on windows so I could remove my ubuntu dual bot and don't have to play with VM maddness to get redis installed.

GOD BLESS MICROSOFT.

You can't interact with tty on Bash on Windows 10.

>DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out

I've always found the opposite to be true.

Compsci student, I run Linux as my daily driver. Bash on Windows (in any form) is a cheap hack at best. The only thing I use Windows for are certain online textbooks that require flash for homework. And I could still run them on Linux, I just use a Windows VM with flash installed because I don't want to dirty up my main OS.

In all honesty though, it doesn't matter what OS you're using in 2016, because in two minutes you can spin up a VM for something as obscure as TempleOS.

nice anecdotal evidence

powershell is not going to happen
bash masterrace

>spin up a VM

also, i've tried switching to arch, had a working unity, photoshop etc but it was always crashing and causing problems
i only have win10 and virtual box with debian on 2nd screen to write in bash etc

why not just use a linux vm with flash installed

what a hero kek
fucking cringe

Thanks

stupid retarded autist

if you get heated over operating systems you should reconsider life

>cringe
you can go back to Twitter/Tumblr/Instagram, boi

>Not him but the no games argument is still true.
Proved wrong with evidence in the post you're replying to.

>Windows is the best OS for gaming mostly due to DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out.
Care to elaborate? what are your criteria to claim this?

>so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for console to Windows to won't affect negatively the performance of the game.
The amount of bad console to windows ports beg to disagree.

>due to garbage like OpenGL/OpenAL, unstable ABIs and horrible audio stack.
Again, what is your criteria to say that is garbage? Regarding unstable ABIs steam solved this problem by bundling a runtime.

>The fact though is that the situation on Linux is still the same as decade ago.
>it's unstable trash and now those who prefer Linux still have nogames
Proved wrong with evidence in the post you're replying to. What is your criteria to say that is unstable?

>keeping the vicious circle
There's a vicious circle but the reasons were exlained in the post you're replying to.

>but still there's a lot of things to do for Linux to compete in the gaming side
That's what the other posts already says.

>You can beg like bunch of entitled chidren on Steam forums spamming epic "no tux = no bux"
So basically people wanting the situation to change makes you upset and entitles you to call names? answer the original question in the other post first.

>how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux?
Competition is good for the users, at this moment MS has practically a monopoly and linux having games allows me to play in my platform of choice without affecting windows users negatively as long the developer chooses multi-platform tools.

>Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing to any meaningful way to technology.
Sorry to call names but IMHO you just went full retard in this part.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

If you failed at Linux it's not the OS that's retarded, it's you.

> As obscure as TempleOS
Fucking CIA nigger

This. Linux bows to me. OP is a nigger.

Not true. I haven't touched windows in a year.

So,
How does this shit even work?
When I boot up my computer I basically two OS's starting in parallel?

Because the software is targeted at flash on Windows so I run it with flash on Windows.

>Look, mom, I finally got Doom to run on Linux! It only took me a week!

That's great, sweetie.

>[Streaming]
>Reading is hard

>When I boot up my computer I basically two OS's starting in parallel?
No, not at all

>How does this shit even work?
It's basically like a kernel emulator, as well as its own separate space for GNU/Linux files. They added an interface called WSL (the Windows Subsystem for Linux) which can interpret native Linux binaries, and convert their system calls into ones that the Windows kernel can understand. It isn't perfect right now, but it'll probably get much better over time as they translate more system calls and iron out more edge cases.

In any case, it isn't very taxing or resource intensive because it's all being done at a low level, and the entire WSL isn't active unless you have at least one instance of bash running.

Why run Linux within Windows if I can accomplish everything I do with just Linux? Not to mention Windows 10's shit UI, forced updates, and flagrant disregard for my privacy.

Here's a diagram of WSL from this post and site which explains much about it:
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/04/22/windows-subsystem-for-linux-overview/

Hmm
I see
Thanks

Okay I'll try Windows 10. How do I go about downloading it in the safest and most secure way possible. And then how to I remove all the intrusive behaviors of windows 10?

Do you have a guide. Where is the ISO?

Thanks OP, I'm sure you aren't a cock lover today.

>How do I go about downloading it in the safest and most secure way possible.
I'd imagine from microsoft.com
>And then how to I remove all the intrusive behaviors of windows 10?
You don't.

>Nobody uses linux just for gaming. They play the handful of linux games on the side, and dont really care about the performance hit.
This.
I run WoW and just accept my 40 fps + flickering on a 770.

Why would anyone upgrade to that garbage then?

>Compsci student
Is that supposed to matter? Do you think being a code monkey in training is supposed to somehow make your opinion more valid?

>windows 10
who cares

shit, Bash on Win10 is even less native than using Cygwin

install Alpine :^)

this

>I hope you're just pretending to be retarded
>thinks bash on Windows makes it safer from hackers
>says the Windows shill

>gimp
AHAHHAHAHAHA

>Get-Child

MODS MODS MODS