I wanna start using linux

Ive used Ubuntu in the past. What distros would you all recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

distrochooser.de/?l=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

gentoo

Ubuntu

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

distrochooser.de/?l=2

Arch Linux

If you're just getting into Linux distros I'd recommend going with Ubuntu or a fork (like mint, elementary etc...) to kind of start understanding how things work etc...

Then once you'll have gotten the hang of it, it's simple... Install a distro, try it, if you like it keep it, if you don't try another.

I can never get an internet connection to install this for some reason. None of the commands work and if they do they aren't on the Live CD.

If you want something easy manjaro, ubuntu or mint.
If you want something a bit advanced go with debian or gentoo.
If you want a meme get arch

just run dhcpcd
or use another livecd, you don't need to use the arch livecd to install arch

Manjaro, comfort of Ubuntu with the usefulness of pacman

Arch or Gentoo. Everthing else is irrelevant

Do you have ipv6? If not do ipv6.disable=1 on grub. And then try it.

Also if this fixes your problem and you install it you will need to disable ipv6 all together from grub.

Irrelevant to your mom's basement, you mean.

Hahahah great pasta xddddd

why? gentoo is really "the linux style", cause everything comes from source and you have to compile it which gives you really high customization options.
downloaded it last week will give it a try today in a VM.

but why arch?

looks like the article was made by a tech illiterate

nice script

>Noob
Ubuntu
Mint
Debian

>Intermediate
Fedora
CentOS

>Professional / Expert / Hardcore Hacker:
Arch
Gentoo

/thread

This is the only sane answer.

if you want to use something relevant in the real world, meaning distros people actually work with and not some basemend dwelling neckbeard bullshit: debian or rhel/centos

looks like you've got your knowledge from Cred Forums shitposts

look up what the definition of an OS is, and than compare it to what linux does/provides

enjoy no games

>he can't accept reality

If you're a developer or have advanced requirements, use Arch or Gentoo.
Otherwise, use Fedora or OpenSuse.
Don't use anything based on Debian.

Why?

Why what?

Install Arch (100 command line steps);
then Gentoo (more than 100);
then Exherbo;
and then LFS.

I use Windows. Now go back

No you don't

Slackware is the only right answer. Anyone who says otherwise is an archfag.

Then what the fuck are you even doing in this thread?
Fuck off back to your wangblows general

Because I like Linux and want to help OP?

linux from scratch

Arch Linux or gentoo. Anything else is time wasted on noobie shit.

Can someone suggest cheap laptops that handle ubuntu well?

Who made you king of the thread, dipshit? You really aren't that important.

Used Thinkpads.

nice shooping, or should i say GIMPing?

XD epic

>"y-you only don't play games because you use linux"
>gets BTFO
>"i-it's fake"
Then tell me how to prove that I'm using Windows.