Adblock Plus: Selling ads

> Adblock Plus finds the end-game of its business model: Selling ads
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/09/adblock-plus-starts-selling-ads-but-only-acceptable-ones/

> Eyeo GmbH, the company that makes the popular Adblock Plus software, will today start selling the very thing many of its users hate—advertisements. Today, the company is launching a self-service platform to sell "pre-whitelisted" ads that meet its "acceptable ads" criteria. The new system will let online publishers drag and drop advertisements that meet Eyeo's expectations for size and labeling.
businesswire.com/news/home/20160913005531/en/Adblock-Enters-Ad-Tech-Launch-SSPAd-Platform

> "The Acceptable Ads Platform helps publishers who want to show an alternative, nonintrusive ad experience to users with ad blockers by providing them with a tool that lets them implement Acceptable Ads themselves,” said Till Faida, co-founder of Adblock Plus.

Well, I left this sinking ship a while ago. Last time I tried it after using uB0 it felt like a resource hog. Now it's also an adware.

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/?sort=users
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Does-uBlock-block-ads-or-just-hide-them?
rbt.asia/g/thread/48042054#p48042527
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ABP is literally fixing all the problems the advertising industry created over the past 10 years.

uBlockOrigin is literally fixing all the problems the advertising industry created over the past 10 years.

If it helps direct the internet advetisising publishers towards static ad images then its not a bad thing imo

Still using uBlock origin though

uBlock Origin is only increasing the arms race of adblocking and adblocking blocking

i don't trust adblock+ to be a gatekeeper

making money off of other peoples' work building blocklists is scummy at best, a protection racket at worst

Doesn't sseem so. It seems more like uB0 puts the user in charge of what they want to see.

Yeah, they take a share of those earnings, obviously.

i mean, 'blocking all ads and replacing them with those [your company] have been paid for' could fit a loose definition of malware

Well if advertisers could stay with static non flashing images and not break videos with a minute or commercials before the actual video starts then i guess ads would not be so annoying.

Its like tv, try watching anything in the evening, every 7-10 minutes there's a 7-12 minutes commercial brake. i only watch netflix and public adfree tv or play channels now.

a better solution is take the URLs that adblock blocks and just block them using the hosts file

like this

# Block Facebook IPv4
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1 www.fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1 fbcdn.com
127.0.0.1 www.fbcdn.com
127.0.0.1 static.ak.fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1 static.ak.connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 connect.facebook.net
127.0.0.1 www.connect.facebook.net
127.0.0.1 apps.facebook.com

fuck you, and to hell with your god damned advertising, you cock suckers spam everything from TV and radio to polluting the road sides on highwways with billboards,

go eat shit and die you motherfucking spamvertiser

ublock origin is better and it blocks not only ads but protects your privacy by blocking tracking requests as well

>uHide
No thanks.

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/?sort=users

Still the most popular and you know old habits die hard.

Exactly.

The goal here is not to compromise with the advertisers that have spend literally decades infecting us with malware, invading our privacy, and annoying us with everything they possibly can.

The goal here is to drive these people into bankruptcy.

>b-but muh free content
the web is infested with shitty clickbait because so many sites view the content as just some shit they have to have to attract pageviews and ad revenue. Torpedoing advertising as a viable business model kills off a lot of content, but that content is the shitty stuff.

>ad hider
kys

can someone explain to me then what is AdBlock to AdBlock Plus?
I remember using the former back in the old days on Firefox, then switched to the botnet and used ABP due to unavailability of the first one... or maybe I'm confusing something.

is AB and ABP the same?

Exquisite meme.
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Does-uBlock-block-ads-or-just-hide-them?

im not sure what you mean by this...is ublock only hiding my ads? not actually blocking them from being downloaded to my pc?

Just open console and you'll see dropped requests. This faggot is probably paid by Adblock plus.

export days_without_jewish_tricks="0"

ABP shills BTFO

#define days_without_jewish_tricks 0

Yes, It doesn't block ads, only hides them. You might also want to consider pic related.

Nice try shill, but he's sending fake data to the logger.

Are 5 rupees worth it, pajeet?

confirmed for liar
kill yourself

>sending fake data to the logger

>This faggot is probably paid by Adblock plus

Its either just a troll or someone who thinks uBlock should remain niche and under the radar so that advertising publishers dont start to target it

So he's the hero we need but don't deserve?

nice edited videos shill
according to archive you've been posting them since gorshill's scheme was found out

Begun, the ad war has.

We've entered an age where advertisers are going to be actively blocking other advertiser's adverts.

>according to archive
Link me up pajeet.

rbt.asia/g/thread/48042054#p48042527

>edited videos
Source?

My fear is if the advertising model as described by ABP is not implemented or is found unviable by any part, then websites will either continue nuking exponentially more ads trying to bypass adblockers OR will start to implement paywalls if they feel thats the only way to sustain their websites

Websites are going to get desperate to rape you online to survive. Take Cred Forums itself, it frequently used to get shutdown when donations ran low. Then moot implemented somewhat of an acceptable model for online ads here. But I am guessing the most sstable form of revenue Cred Forums has received is probably by providing user data to companies like google even with tools like recaptcha/ no captcha, however it has done so over the gross cost at user privacy and using them as free labor

That is what the mainstream internet could become if an acceptable & viable ad revenue model is not implemented

he mostly thinks so

No source. Pajeet is at it again.

Then go with UBO you dingus!

Do you know where I can find complete lists of such sites I don't want to share my private information?
Is it possible to block everything from Google except the search engine itself?

You can try MVPS hosts file.

But I do use uB0 for more than half a year I think.